Mums 35 and above

hi sk,
thanks for the advice. where can i get the ovulation kit? from any pharmacy?

sincerity,
i had low lying placenta throughout my whole pregnancy, but was able to move around freely the whole time. in fact, i was told by those around me i walk too fast. but i felt healthy, happy and was generally feeling really great. so i'm hoping should i get pregnant again, i will feel as good.

i am also not sure if i understood plantar fascitis correctly. if it's the heel pain, can get the insole for your shoe. my husband used the insole for quite some time and the pain went away. before that, he was suffering from the pain for a long time.

you know, before reading this thread, the idea of being old hadn't sunk in. then today, was reading papers about the high jumper (who happened to be from the same school as moi) and tabulated our age gap and suddenly, it all hit home. argghhhh, talk about rude awakening.

TAMARIND & DUCKWEED,

Plantar facisits is like tearing of tissue of fascia around the heel. It repair when rest, when you step on the ground after some rest, you'll feel a sharp pain, almost limping and then will go away after a while. We can either consume pain killer or certain steriod injections to relieve the pain temporarily of course there are side effects. Been wearing insole at home and while out. Can't do without them. I don't have this problem at all until that trip...So be careful and watch yr steps, posture etc.

sk,
I don't think you are crazy, so long as you can afford, it is always a blessing to have more kids
biggrin.gif

Duckweed,
If you go for Clear Blue (available at pharmacies), it costs more than $60 for a few strips. However, there is a bulk purchase going on at this website for ovulation strips at less than a dollar per strip. Very affordable, you may wish to check it out.

Sincerity,
Wow, you really suffered for this pair of twins! I admire your strength going through that period. Hope your plantar fascitis can get a complete cure soon.

Actually, I believe many of us would like to have more kids, but by the time we want to have more, we are getting old for it. It gets harder to conceive is one thing, getting over the pregnancy safely is another, and of course the final safe delivery of the baby. Sometimes, I wished I had started everything earlier, but then again I wouldn't have known the consequence then! Such is life!

sk4 and all,
I've tried conceiving thru BBT, Clomid, IUI, IVF and IVF-ICSI and finally have my 1st child at 31 after 8 years of marriage. I also have a misacarriage at age 27. So for those who have infertility, don't give up. If you're physically, mentally and financially prepared, go for it. It's Ok, during that period, watch movie show, read up alot on twins pregnancy etc.

Sincerity,

I've done it twice, first time very painful, the other time only discomfort. So I think the timing you do it makes the difference. The first time the doc asked me to go I went straight, but the second time I asked the radiologist what is the best time to go before I book the appointment and they told me, I think, a certain no. of days after menses. So, remember to ask them before you book, if not. . . Don't say I did not warn you!

As for the procedure, you will be asked to remove your top and change. Then, they just press plates onto your breast, one at a time, and also at different angles, and you will be told to hold your breath before they take the x-ray.

Quite fast if everything goes well. If the film come out to be not clear, they ask you to re-do! It happened to me when I did it the first time. After that, I was so sore!

Now that some1 has brought up the topic about mamograms, i think I wanna share my fear..

I'm 41+ n was due for a mamogram when I turned 40.
Since there is breast cancer history in my family, I hv been advd by my gynae on the importance of me getting a mamogram done.
My threshold for pain is very very low n as such, I skipped the 1st year n planned that I wud do it once I turned 41. But as I've shared, I haven't gone for one becoz I am afraid of the pain. From what I understand, one shud do this mamogram about 14days after menses, then not painful lah!
But I scared leh..

No choice, must get it done b4 my next gynae's appt, which is nearing soon..

Miracle bebe,

I can understand your fear. Such is life of a woman, have to do mammogram, pap smear, VE (when preggy), etc. I am terrified of all these. I can still remember when I first did my pap smear, that gynae so inexperienced that it was very painful and I bled! Never heard of doing pap smear will bleed! Of course now change gynae already. Sigh... but what to do, when it is time to do it, just have to force ourselves to do it.

Hello,

SK4,
Thanks for sharing, after reading yr exp, a bit apprehensive, I think must wear a mask liao.
I remembered my first pap smear at polyclinic at age 24. The nurse commented I was too nervous and need to relax and my legs look like an aeroplane wings...so uptight. I was blushing and wish it would end soon. Also, my gynae who did scans for me while early stage of pregnant and scan while under injection and drugs commented that I need to relax if not it'll be painful. Now, I can do it with a breeze liao : }

Recommended age is 40, huh? I've heard from my sis that her colleague was diagnosed with late stages of breast cancer and she appear so healthy and cheerful until later. So pitiful. She's in her mid 30s and with 2 young kids.

During my mother's time, she shared w me that there was this young lady arnd late 20's who had last stage of breast cancer. When this lady was diagnosed w this killer disease, she didn't do anything about it. By the time she wanted to seek help, it was too late. The cancer had spread to other parts of her body, so much so that her eyeballs were pussy n were popping out.
By the way, my mother is a breast cancer survivor n was given a clean bill of health several years ago..

Miracle bebe,

Your mum's a fighter, girl. I think I'll try to arrange for a mammogram after 2 wks of my menses as adivised. Will keep you posted.

Yes she is sincerity, but it's all thanks to the Lord for his Grace that pulled her thru this.

It's a wonder to the doctors actually, coz not long after surgery, my mum was able to sit up and to everyone's surprise, she didn't feel much pain.

So where will you be going for the mamogram? I'll be going to the one located at Outram, which i heard only cost $50.
Wil tell u all about it when I'm done going.

may i add myself to this list?

i gave birth to my son when i was 34.5 yo. he's just turned 2. i had a smooth pregnancy, nothing much happened but he did arrive unexpectedly at week 38 though...

Hi Regina,

Welcome abroad. I just joined and would like to make new friends too. Are you homeschooling yr son or make arrangements for him to be at cc?

sincerity - thanks! he's basically having fun playing at home and in my yoga studio all the time
happy.gif
hubby does freelance work so basically he looks after the boy when i am busy in class. i'm actually thinking of maybe putting him in playschool for a day a week to give hubby & myself some time off :p

sincerity - i sent you a pm
happy.gif
playschool: i may just send him to one near my studio for convenience. well i am not in a hurry to do that so will see how things go.

jheng - yes i was featured twice this year
happy.gif

Hi all, was quite busy so didn't come in often.

Miracle_bebe, nice to know u. I did mammogram when i was arnd 25. My GP noticed a mobile lump on my right breast (which most likely it is not cancer) but to play safe he sent me for a mammogram and lucky it was only some fat tissue. If i still remembered clearly, i don't feel much pain but just uncomfortable when the hugh machine press on the breast.

Hi Regina, welcome
kao_welcome.gif

Wow, u r a yoga teacher!! May i ask, is yoga going to be tough for lazy ppl like me that nvr excercise for more than 10 years ?
biggrin.gif

thank baby2005
yoga can be tough for people who don't have a habit of stretching. esp those who go into body-building and their muscles all harden...
happy.gif

if you are patient and are ready to take things one step at a time, you will get there some day...

baby2005 - i teach both adults and children, though my kids classes are conducted at 2 childcare centres in woodlands. speaking of lump in breast, i had (still have it) lump in the left breast and it took me the longest time to pluck up my courage to go for a check up. did a biopsy and thankfully the lump was non-malignant. i just need to monitor and so long as it doesn't grow any bigger i should be safe. but the 2 weeks waiting for the report was the most terrifying and depressing period in my life. lots of 'what ifs' surfaced and my poor hubby had to put up with my moods...

Regina, pardon my ignorant, i always thought that the doc will remove the lump totally when they do a biopsy. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

hi baby2005 sorry was tied up with work ....

i did it in hong kong and they only removed cells for testing... don't know about the practise here though

Hi 35+ mums. Hope to join in here. I'm over 40! heh! heh! my eldest girl is coming to 10 yrs, but no.2 is just 22 months old! I had him after turning 40!
So for those young mums out there, ie. below 40, don't give up trying for another, if you really want. I suffered 2 miscarriages between no. 1 and no. 2. very distressing and depressing, but that didn't stop us from trying.
today, i can only say i am glad i didn't give up!

hi cowandchick,

Good for you! That is a good age gap between 2 kids. I'm sure yr 2nd baby will be well taken care of by the eldest.

hi KelvinMum.
Well, the baby's good company for my girl. Yes, she's a great help looking after him so that I get to complete my chores, and take a shower!!! But they also have their fair share of quarrels and little fights.

No. 1 is still trying to get used to the idea that the world does not revolve around her anymore. that's kinda tuf if she's so used to being the only kid for 8 years! still learning.

As for No.2, i realise that he picks things up faster. having a much older sibling means he's more exposed to bigger kids' stuff and language. he can't really talk, much understands a lot more than most kids his age.

as for me, i'm enjoying both of them as much. so different and yet so much the same too!

Hi, I am over 40 too and just had my number 4 six months ago.(My nick is the intial of my four children :)

My eldest is 11 and I find her a great help in taking care of my two and a half year old and the baby.

znzyzyzx,

Wow, I must say you are very brave to have a kid at 40. I'm now 35 carrying my no. 3 and it has been the toughest pregnancy so far. Was it difficult for you? Do you have any help with your four kids?

Hi,

cowandchick, as they come along, you would just manage. I never imagined myself to be a mother of four too.

It helps that their age gap are pretty big, so the elder two need less taking care of and can even help with the baby.

Also, I have a good maid. And I send the third one to childcare. (Although she just stops recently because her previous childcare is too far for me after I change job recently, so am looking for a childcare centre for her now)

sk , actually , is not 40 , is 40 + n , hehehe. Except for the first 3 months , when I was quite tired, all my prenancy were quite alright. Ya, I have a maid to help me.

wow, it's been great to find tis thread, but realised not much 'talk' for sometime.

Hi all,
I m also a mother above 35, we hv 3 BOYS! eldest is 8, 2nd is 5+ and just gave birth to the 3rd one this Jan. I agree with SK, this 3rd one is the most diff. I din hv those sickness, but could be age, just get really tired easily.
No more 4th one... hehe.... scare liao.... 3 boys... wat a supermarket at home....

rjj,

Wow, our experience is quite similar though I have 3 girls instead now. dd1 is 6, dd2 is 4 and dd3 is 1mth old. How are you coping? I do not have a maid and still adapting to the new addition to the family. Haven't been having enough sleep.

hi sk,

me ok la.... i m those a bit bo chap mummy, so sometimes i ignore them lo... if not very stressful... after a long gap, when the 3rd one come along, cannot adapt. Dun even know why he is crying whole day.... but nightmare over liao... now at least we know his pattern....
I work, but thank God, we have a capable maid. She take care of all 3 boys when we go to work... i sometime pity her oso....she even help me during my confinement.... well done hor!

hi there,

i'm also approaching mid thirties. i've 2 boys but wld like to try for a girl. am also worried abt the condition of my eggs. at mid thirties, r we consider 'gao ling chan fu'?need to do those amniotic tests etc?

hi shmum,

from my understanding, docs will want u to do the test the moment u hit 35, base on your birthdate.
But i oso know of many mum, who base on family history and the 'condition' of their older kids, did not went for it.
But me kia su hor..... just pay and have a peace of mind lo....final decision is still between u & your hubby....
happy.gif

hi shmum

I had my second after I crossed 40! Still, i enjoyed my pregnancy. Yah, had to go for amnio, but I had wanted it anyway. like rjj says, it's for the peace of mind. Also, already with one disabled kid, don't think i can handle another, so the amnio was deciding point. Still, it was rather nerve-wrecking waiting for the results, as we were desperately hoping for a second. Thank goodness it turned out ok!

All the best to you!

Congrats to sk
happy.gif

hi shmum,
we are parents to a 3.5yo and i am alredy 42 this year. It wasn't becoz we had a late marriage:p

Yes, our gynae did adv that we do an amniocentesis test.., but we decided against it becoz my dh and i knew that this blessing is from God. Even if there were complications like abnormality etc, we were both prepared to accept as this is our miracle baby.

My 2nd sister who is 46, gave birth to her 4th n youngest chd at arnd 40. The boy is perfectly normal but i don't know if my sister did do the amnio test or not.

What i am trying to say here is that no, an amnio is by choice. No doctor is this world can force you to do it. But of course, it wud be a risk you must be prepared to take and accept

just my personal honest view
happy.gif

Hi mummies,

tks for sharing. at which stage of the pregnancy will the test be done?heard tat there might be a risk of miscarriage?

rjj, can understand the din at home, i've 2 boys n already cant tahan the noise already, they also like to fight n jump ard despite my repeated warnings tat they might hurt themselves. any sibling rivalry?

sk, is it true tat girls more obedient n more caring to their younger siblings?

hi shmum,

The amio test will be done in the 5th month. Though it is nerve-wrecking during & after the test, the 3 days bed-rest will minimise the risk of miscarriage.

Shmum,

We too prayed real hard for a girl, but God gave us a boy instead. But He is good, the baby is a darling to all.
Yes, I resort to punishment (caning and writing) also no help... they just 'fight' like nobody business. But as they are both much older, they tend to sayang their bb brother a lot, and their love can be over-whelming at times. :D
We did the test, is bcos we want to be prepared shld we get any -ve results, not to stop the pregnancy or anything. And after the test, remember to rest well, dun carry heavy stuff, less movement. All will be fine.

My amnio was done at my gynae's clinic. Very smooth and easy going. Went shopping immediately after that.

If gynae is experienced and has done a lot of amnio, it will be less traumatic and risks minimal. There's always risks involved in invasive tests, that's why I sought a very experienced gynae - less than 1% risk.

Girls vs boys
My elder is a girl, and she's quite like a boy at times too. So we call her tomboy! She's caring towards her younger brother, but they also fight.

Girls may not be as physical as boys (fighting, etc) but they're not any more obedient. They can be very stubborn and i find girls tend to be more sensitive, and emotional too. Not very good if you're an impatient mum like me!

Hi,

Thanks for all your well wishes!

Not easy to have this third child. Started off having more difficulty in conceiving. Then once pregnant, experienced the most morning sickness compared to previous pregnancies. Then blood test showed high risk of down syndrome and had to decide to go for amnio test or not. Eventually went and while waiting for result had an emotional struggle over what if child has Down Syndrome. Read up a lot about Down Syndrome and kind of like mentally prepared for it. Finally jubilation when it turned out fine. Then discovered foetus not putting on much weight. Maybe I'm SAHM with no help, hardly had time to look after myself. So started eating like a glutton, nutritious food of course. Effort not in vain, finally baby is 3.11kg when I only put on 9kg. What a bumpy journey for me! Now? Tired but happy!

Personally, I took the amnio test because my hubby wants to know rather than not know. I believe most parents will keep the child. I was worried of the miscarriage risk but because of wanting to be mentally prepared, we went ahead. Luckily everything is fine.

My girls are definitely not the typical-girl type. They play very rough, like boys. Maybe because my dd1 mix very much with boys in her class, she ends up influencing dd2. Now I worry what will the power puff girls do in future!

Hello,nice to know of this thread. I am gave birth to my only child when I was 35. He was premature as I have hypertension half way through pregnancy and to date still having it. My third trimester is in and out of hospital and the final stay was one month. I was basically bed-ridden during my stay so as to prevent my blood pressure from escalating. We try to hold him in my belly to as long as my blood pressure can accomodate. My son was finally delivered when he was 35 weeks. I don't think I am in a good condition to conceive again as we fear the baby would have to be even more prematurely born. Anyway, our son is now 2yrs 8mths old, and is an active boy. Am wondering, should I send him to pre-school now or later? Previously, we sent him to Tots House and he got sick like on schedule: one week in school, two weeks sick at home, repeatedly. Eventually, we took him out recently. May I know how old do you send your kid to preschool/ is it better to go for enrichment class now till he is 3 yrs old?
Any good schools to recommend near Serangoon, Bishan, Toa Payoh, Kovan, AMK area? Thanks

Hi Kan,

It's rather common for kids to fall ill often when they started school since their immune system is still immature. This is esp so as yours is an only child n dun come into frequent contact w other kids. My elder boy started tots house when he's only 2 yrs 2 mths old. He was seldom sick while at home but once started school, he's like falling sick very frequently.Bet this is the only way they build up their immunity but of cos this depends on individual kids as some hv better resistance. Wat i do now is to give him vit c supplement n scotts emulsion every day .Think it does help.

Hi all,

It's so good to read the experiences of fellow moms who are older. I had my first at 29 and my third at 35 and what a world of difference. My energy level was certainly much greater on the other side of 30. But you know what, what I've lost in youthful zest, I've gained in experience. So don't lose heart 30somethings. You still have lots to give, lots to love and lots to live!

Pilgrim Mom
http://pilgrimparent.wordpress.com

Hi Shumum. I agree and was prepared for the frequent sickness but that school he went, his teachers ain't so serious about hygiene, like washing the hands with soap after toilet or before meal time. And they actually allow sick children to attend school. Hence, that is very disturbing.
sad.gif

Back