Most popular brand of formulae milk

Hi All

I think all FM is the same. My first child was taking 5-6 different brands of FM for 2 years as they were free sample from my sister working in the clinic. Now my second child is doing the same thing. No problem at all.

puff, didnt know eunice hv left!!! yep, try talking to other staff - they are all v.friendly.

roundbear - gd for u - can save $$

Hi roundbear,

Ya, that's what I feel too, just do a gradual switch. Most babies should be fine. Is just a matter of getting use to the new taste for the baby.

Hi mommies,
Actually what is the major diff btw the diff milk powder for 1yr old baby? GainIQ cost me $27+ per 900g and Nestle Neslac cost only $25 for 1.5kg! I gotten a 900gm sample from Nestle and is trying my girl on it... But I get so torn up btw choosing a so called "branded hence better quality" milk and a "not-so-popular" milk... I mean I can afford GainIQ but to me, is it necessary to spend that diff? Or is the difference in amt worth it cos my girl will be getting more?

Hi Linda,

1st of all check the contents & the ingredient of the milk.

If u notice, most of the milk tin have a chart to tell the consumers the amt of minerals and vitamin that the milk powder contains.

There is another small corner of the tin that stating the ingredients eg palm oil, vegetable oil etc etc..

There may be some slight different in them.

As for the price, it was partly due to the places it was packed, the QC ad QA of the product.

Like Dumex or Neslac, they are packed in msia or Indonesia or Asia country where labour cost is low, QA & QC varies. Thus, the price are different.

GainIO and Enfalac series may pack in western countries and ship over to Singapore so the price are generally higher. It is also belief that they QA and QC are more stingent.

Hi Hong
Thanks for the advise... I did try to check the contents... but it gets too much to me.. hehehe :p Not patience enuff... I only know Nestle has higher energy level but Gain has higher protein and calcium...
But I just wonder if these diff are worth the $$ in the long run. I know it is for MY girl but just trying to justify the $$... Hehehe... like very stingy hor?
Is it really necessary to give them high quality milk? Sigh... Thought IQ are pre-determined at birth... But after all the DHA and AA things, aiyoh, I KS to think maybe my girl not so clever, so hopefully drink "smart" milk will get smarter. Hahahha...
WHat milk is your bb drinking?

Linda,

hee hee i heard my Gynae explained to me.

My girl took Dumex Mamil Gold, pack in Msia.. hee hee hee...

Generally they are gd, as long as they contain DHA and AA.

If u notice, Abbot selling pt is no palm oil,
Friso selling pt is fibre added.... Mamil.. hmm dun know leh.. quite general..

So i chose Mamil, got everything and cheap..

Hi! I'm a 1st time mum and my bb boy was born on nov 04. need some advice.

I started my bb on Enfanlac A+ but bb has constitpation, so I switched to the normal Enfanlac (w/o A+) till now. I's worried that it is not as nutritious as A+. Hestitant to give him A+ as my mil says its no good to change milk powder. Any advice? tks in advance

Hi all! I've been on total bf. Now want to switch to fm as my son reaching one soon. Now trying to give him Mamil occassionally (even though he always refuse). Was just thinking, since some fm has vanilla and choc flavour, is there any with banana flavour? My son loves banana, so if there is a fm with banana flavour, I might be able to make him drink.. hee hee

Hi ladies,

My boi also reaching 1 Yr in 2 mths' time, so I'm also looking for a follow on milk for him - Similac Excellance has no follow-on, since it is "for babies 6 MO & above". Looking at Gain IQ now.... still looking for other options... any to suggest??

Well, abt the brands mentioned above, think really, the baby must like it lor. Had let boi try Enfalac and Promil gold when he suddenly decides he doesn't like milk anymore abt 2 mths back. Well, now he seems to be ok again with Similac, so I alternate between Similac and Promil Gold (dun wan to waste that can).

Thought this could add variety to his milk, so he doesn't get bored with his milk. Seems to be working...
kao_happy.gif

Hi there Hi Hong,

I finally did a serious comparision btw Nestle/ Gain IQ Singapore and Gain IQ malaysia.
happy.gif
Couldn't help but wonder why the prices are so diff.

Other than having GLA/FOS and procalci, Gain IQ and Nestle have the same nutritional value.

But Nestle has lower energy/fats/DHA/ protein/Taurine BUT higher minerals and vitamins.

Gain IQ came out with the improved version recently with added nucelotides and choline....this makes it on par with Gain IQ in malaysia...

Prices - Nestle 2kg $23+ / Gain IQ Spore 1.8g $42+ / Gain IQ 900g M'sia $17.50.....

The difference is quite big esp btw Nestle and Gain.... So as and when I can't get supply from Malaysia, I give my girl nestle.

My girl is on Enfapro A+. Recommended by the PD. So stuck with it since she is ok. Anyway, she is only drinking it at night and when we go out. Otherwise it will be bm.

Mine both kids are on Similac. The paediatrician said it was from a pharmaceutical company and has a high level of nucleotides which is supposed to be good. It's rather expensive but I don't mind paying the premium, since both my babies grew very well.

Hi,
Anyone heard anything good or bad on S26. is the follow on formulae called Promil?

My son is now 8 weeks+ and on S26 but heard that it is heaty and baby will be chubby drinking this. Recently realised my baby put on lot of flesh after consuming S26 for a month.

Thinking of switching to Enfalac now then Promil when he is 6 months ( as I have 2 tins of Promil 6 months)

anyone has any suggestions to method of switching milk powder? should i alternate feed or mix milk powder?

i fed my boy, 18mth, Mamil Gold but stool was hard like rock. when i switched to Gain IQ, he had diarrhea and loose stool for abt 2wks. when i mix in 50% of each brand, poo poo is 'pasty'. i am still trying to find an appropriate milk powder but i am not sure how to switch milk powder. i think my son's digestive system a bit sensitive.

any advice?

Hi Wang Ling,

Mix 1 spoon of Milk Powder to existing brand. The next day mix 2 spoon with combination and increase slowly..

Hi empty me,

My girl has been drinking Nan since 2.5 mths till now almost 6 mths. So far she is doing fine.

She was on Similac from 1-2.5 mths, but her poo was very watery and smelly and I find that the FM produces a lot of foam/bubbles during feeding. I also find that the milk is quite smelly.

After switching her to Nan, her poo is soft and not so smelly. My girl also seems to prefer drinking Nan to Similac cos she always finish her milk.

Hi empty me

I'm using Nan too. My baby's doing fine with it..no poopy problems, and gaining weight nicely.

Hi,

My boy is using Friso Comfort.
Has switched from Isomil to Enfalac to NAN and finally Friso Comfort.
Kept switching coz he started having constipation after starting 1 feed of formula per day. Friso Comfort so far is ok.

hi,

my boi was on BM for 7 mths then Promil Gold, now Progress Gold. No problems at all.

I guess you nid to know ur bb's bowel habits. I know my boi dun likt to drink water so it's normal for his stools to be a little hard. But he has no problems passing out and has no constipation.

Dun thk S26 will be heaty or cause fat bb. I am a S26 bb and am as skinny as can be since birth!

used to take friso gold 1 but recently difficult to find so PD gave me a sample of enfapro A+ and he has no problem with it so i continued with it.

My 7-month-old son has been on Enfalac A+ Stage 1 since birth. He was given that by the hospital (my wife and I didn't know we had a choice then), and he had no problems with that, so we've stuck with that since.

Now, we're moving the kid to Stage 2. Does anyone know which milk formula contains prebiotics and probiotics? These things reportedly build up the kids' immune systems. My kid has been falling sick every month, so everybody around him is anxious that he gets his essentials right. Would Enfapro A+ Stage 2 do? BTW, he takes 1ml of Poly-Vi-Sol (Vitamin supplement from Enfalac) daily.

High Flyer

Last week's Mind Your Body (the Straits Times supplement) touched on pro/prebiotics. Here's an extract from the article:

The following infant formulas contain pre- or probiotics:

>>Abbott Labs Gain Intestinal Quality Growing-Up Milk
For children aged one year and up.
Price: $25.36 for 900g (inclusive of GST)

>>Abbott Labs PediaSure Complete
For picky eaters and children not eating well (one to 10 years old).
Price: $29.10 for 900g (inclusive of GST)
What they have: Both Gain and PediaSure Complete have lactobacillus and bifodobacterium added along with FOS. These are the two most predominant strains naturally present in the human digestive system.

Nestle Range of Infant Formulas
>>Neslac: $14.59 for 1kg tin and $25.37 for 1.8kg tin (inclusive of GST)
>>Nespray ActivProtec: $8.71 for 600g refill pack and $23.39 for 1.8kg tin (inclusive of GST)
What they have: Neslac uses Streptococcus thermophilus culture and Bifidobacteria lactis culture to help maintain a healthy digestive system.

Nespray ActivProtec, developed by Nestle Research Centre Switzerland, contains millions of Bifidus culture and Lactobacillus paracasei culture. It helps to increase beneficial bacteria and decrease harmful bacteria to improve intenstinal environment.

Nestle Range of Growing-Up Milk
>>NAN 2 with Protect Plus (900g): $24.60 (without GST)
>>NAN 3 with Protect Grow (900g): $22.50 (without GST)
>>NAN 2 H.A. (Hypoallergenic) with Protect PlusTM (900g): $28.40 (without GST)
>>Lactogen 2 (1kg): $10.50 (without GST)
What they have: Nestle's NAN 2 and NAN 2 H.A. (Hypoallergenic) with Protect Plus infant formulas are formulated to include BL Bifidus - a proprietary active culture of bifidobacteria probiotics.

Lactogen 2 includes Prebio 1 - a proprietary blend of dietary fibres to promote growth of friendly bacteria in the gut.

>>Dumex Mamil Gold 2 with Immunofortis
Price: 800g for $27.40
What it has: Special blend of prebiotics to strengthen immunity.

>>Friso Gold with Frisoshield F1 and F2
Price: $28 for 900g

>>Friso Gold with Frisoshield F3 and F4
Price: $21 for 900g
What it has: Prebiotics and probiotics

Is ure kid exposed to other children, hence he falls sick so regularly? Think every month is quite bad leh.

I did get hold of a copy of that article -- my dad saved it for me. That's what got me thinking about getting the right formula. But thanks anyhow for typing it out! Appreciate it.

I thought I would get some independent advice here. I got a little worried when Enfalac A+/Enfapro A+ did not show up in the list. Does that mean they do not contain pre/probiotics?

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between Enfalac A+ and Enfapro A+? Are they from the same manufacturer? Which is better?

Has anyone tried Meiji FM?

Sorry, I forgot to say that yes, my son attends daycare. However, the problem doesn't lies with the infantcare centre totally, as we don't see other kids falling sick so frequently. In fact, some of the diseases that he contracted were not contagious.

My family and I have come to the conclusion that his immune system is inherently weaker than other kids', so we're trying all ways and means to boost it. He is starting to take cereal now (Nestle Rice Cereals do contain prebiotics), and he's also on vitamin supplements. Switching to another brand of milk formula is another option we're looking at.

Higgledy, both Enfalac and Enfapro are from Mead Johnson. They represent different stages in the kids' growth.

Enfalac A+: Newborn to 12 months
Enfapro A+: 6 months to 12 months

There's a 6-month overlap between the two products. Other than the above, I don't have the specifics as to the difference in ingredients. Beyond these two stages, you also have Enfagrow A+ (1-3 years) and Enfakid A+ (not sure of the age range).

Hi does anyone know where is the cheapest place to get friso comfort? Also is it possible to buy it from Friso directly?

For 3 mth old baby, what Nan version should u get ?

Anyone used Similac before ? Any comparison between Similac and Nan ?

Hi Sonia,

My boy drinking NAN HA since it is a safer bet as it is hypo allegenic and can guard against milk allergies. If you are not sure, can always buy the small tin first for your child to try.

I tried Similac at the hospital. But my boy vomitted after drinking it 2 weeks after his birth. So not using that. As I said, whatever you are not sure, but the small tin first, then the money will not go to waste.

When my gal was born, she was on NAN HA then after few months later, we changed to Enfa. Now she is on Pediasure most of the time, Enfagrow sometimes in the night time and Gain IQ.

Does anyone has diarrhea after drinking frisco comfort?

My girl is drinking frisco comfort mixing with frisco 1 as a supplement of breastmilk. As my girl has reflux, PD has recommended frisco comfort but my gal don't like it as it is too thick. So PD suggested mixing it with frisco 1. Everything has been fine until last weekend where I have fallen sick and on antibiotic. My GP recommended that I should throw away the milk. Hence now she is on full formaula milk (Frisco comfort and Frisco 1). But she has been having diarrhea since then. Anyone face this problem?

Back