IVF/ICSI Support Group

Hi CT

Wish you all the best in your coming ICSI
happy.gif

He only told me that he wanted to see the trend of my cycle. The funny thing is that I have to plot it manually using his chart worksheet, my FF charts no pa-kei. He said need to do some preparation for ICSI wor. Cannot rush things.... dun know what he meant???

tomatoes

hmmm ... actually I also feel cannot rush into doing the ICSI tats y I took so long to decide whether to start this month or not.
happy.gif
Anyway, I'll see how things go this Wed after I see Dr SF Loh ... may not be able to start as plan as this is only the first time I see him. Hehhehe

Micky

Did you do any preparation before you start the ICSI program eg plot chart, take temp etc?

Hi Gals

Did you see last Sat, Wong Lilin program? There's this couple who put in 3 embryos for their IVF and all 3 implanted and one of them is twins. That mean she is having Quadruplets !!!

My hus said this will not happened in ICSI but only in IVF procedure as only 1 sperm is used to fertilise 1 egg in ICSI procedure .... isit true?

CT,

not true leh. for that couple with quadruplets, one of the embryo split after the transfer into identical twins. Meaning 2 of them are fraternal twins, and 2 of them are identical twins. Normally identical twins happen in people with twins genes.. and maybe also people whose age are higher... higher the age, the higher the incidence of multiple birth mah.

for icsi, 1 sperm is used to fertilised the egg...this also happen in ivf or iui or natural birth mah
happy.gif
1 egg + 1 sperm = 1 embryo. For identical twins, this 1 embryo somehow split during their early days of development and become 2 separate embryos.
happy.gif

I think she must have a hard time carrying the quad... imagine she gotta quit her job and cant go anywhere except, home and kkh. Cant even shop for her own maternity wear. But her tummy is surprisingly small hor.. I wonder how many months is she in already. The babies will probably be borned very small given her small tummy and small build. My fren's sis who got triplets... each of the triplets only weight less than 1kg and they stayed in icu after birth for 1 month each (in gleneagles)... the financial and emotional strain is scary.

still prefer twins myself.. haha hey next pregnancy I will try for twins ;)

Poohy & CT

After watching the Wong Lilin's show, I can't help but feel scare about having twins or triplets when I do ICSI. I dun think I can suddenly cope with 2 or worst, 3 babies. But then again, why should I worry about this when I can't even conceive one now.

Do you think I am contradicting myself?

tomatoes

hahha ... I'm also like you. Very scare to have multiple birth yet on the other hand also think aiya I also can't even have one now ... hahah Guess all the couples who had been thru the tough TTC journey will be like us ... very mao tun.
happy.gif

tomatoes,

err I think its a common worry or contradiction
happy.gif
Most people prefer to have just 1 baby at a time if they can help it ... But if do ivf/icsi, of course hope to maximise the chance becos of the high cost per cycle. Anyway just get your parents ready to help u lor
happy.gif
With our parents' help.. definitely can cope with more than 1 baby
happy.gif

twins and triplets resulting from assisted reproductive techniques are normally at a lower risk than normal occuring twins especially identical twins that share the same placenta. So dun worry just make sure you are financially prepared, thats all ;)

for me, finance is the greatest concern. If I ever get triplets and cant work.. I think it will be very very tough on my hubby to support the family alone.

Poohy

The worst thing is that I am not financially or mentally prepared for 2 or 3 babies.... Haiz....

If I am to spend on ICSI, both my hubby and my savings can only afford to have 1 baby at the moment.

CT
I think whatever it is, we have to keep all babies as it is our flesh and blood.

tomatoes,

agree with u.. must keep all babies.. cos they are all individual life and we cant deprive them of the gift of life
happy.gif

Hi Gals

Jus came back from KKH ... I will start injecting from today. Hopefully my program will be smooth ... cross my fingers.

Ladies, good afternoon!

I have been dragging and dragging the testing .... and finally did it this morning 14days pass transfer, and I saw a doubleline on the HPT !!
happy.gif
I have never seen a doubleline before and I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw it. My hubby and I are CONSCIOUSLY over the moon now, we are so scared of any bad news. Tomorrow I'm due for my beta test, will update again.

CT, all the good luck to your cycle! Let me know how are your injections and progress. Are you using GonalF? How much dosage? When are you going for the first scan?

Hi westbb,

CONGRATULATION!!!! So good!!! So happy for u!!!

Must rest more and wish u have a smooth 9 month pregancy!!!

Hi Westbb

Whooaa!!! So happy for you, finally got your BFP liao!!!! Wish you a happy and smooth 9 months!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
Must be think positive!!!! Your bb is here to stay!!!
happy.gif
Must take good care of yourself ok
happy.gif

Keep us updated hor
happy.gif
You have really given me hopes
happy.gif

Wow, really alot of good news from this forum!!

really hope that i'm the next one to inform u the good news....

i'm using my "nian li".... think hard to get pregnant!!! hope it help!! haha

WESTBB

HUGZZZZ, so happy for you! was the line a very obvious one? if yes, likely of multiple births liao.

i remembered my HCG number for blood test was 211, and doc was saying most probably single pregnancy. so if yours is very high, then likely to be twins or triplets!

dun worry abt the test tomorrow. just let ur gynae know that u hv tested positive. he will dbl confirm by the BHCG test.

Hi Westbb,

You just don't know how happy i am, there's really hope for all of us here. Take care.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! IVF/ICSI, here we come.....

Cheers!

Yes, Micky & Westbb has really motivated (even more now) to do ICSI. Actually, I was still contemplating before, but now, I think I have made up my mind to do it
happy.gif

CT,

hope u will be blessed with a BFP soon! Lots of follicles! ;)

Westbb,

wow, congrats!! So excited to hear from u .. hey must update us on your bhcg reading tomorrow ok ? Wahh I wonder whether its twins or triplets.

westbb

congratulations! I'm so happy for you that I'm almost tearing ... I hope I can be as lucky as you. All the b

tomatoes / westbb

I will only go back kkh for bloodtest and scan 2 weeks later. I'm given a standard dosage to suppress the hormones ... Given Lucrin to inject daily for 2 weeks .. 10 units / per day.

Btw, jus to chcek stmg, with this injection, will my menses still come this month?

Hi! Westbb,

Its so encouraging!..
Congrats congrats!..
happy.gif

Welcome to the mummy group
happy.gif

Wish you all the best & luck!

poohy

Ya ... I'm also surprised ... but I think the expensive will come next stage. I heard it's abt $2000+++ for the medicine alone. Not too sure ... will update all when I successfully go to tat stage.
happy.gif

ct,

YES, the Lucrin is cheap. But the gonal-F for stimulation cost a bomb. My cost for stimulation drugs cost almost 3k.
so far, the daily jabs ok for you? endure for a while and soon you will be pregnant. when are you target for your eggs recovery?

ct,

YES, the Lucrin is cheap. But the gonal-F for stimulation cost a bomb. My cost for stimulation drugs cost almost 3k.
so far, the daily jabs ok for you? endure for a while and soon you will be pregnant. when are you target for your eggs recovery?

Micky

The jabs are ok ... not too bad. This morning I did it the 2nd time it was better not painful at all.

The doc nver really tell me the date for the eggs recovery ... he jus mentioned estimated will be abt 1 month later. Btw, how long was your Lucrin Jab and the stimulation Jab? Did you go back for scanning during the initial 2 weeks of Lucrin Jab?

I only need to go back for blood test and scan 2 weeks later.

Berry

The jab is ok ... 1st time will be scary and your hand will shake, 2nd time will be better and I think by the 3rd time you do it you will be professional liao ... hahahah
happy.gif

I jab on my tummy ... maybe i have more fats so not pain. Ok lah ... hahah

Hi Westbb,

Congrats!!!

Hi CT,

How your visit yest? How u find Dr Loh? BTW, the Lucrin starts at CD22 is it? Do they load u an injector? What happen if this month u conceived naturally, will the Lucrin affect the pregnancy?

My appt is tomorrow. Wonder which gynae I will see. I actually tot I want to start this cycle. But today is my CD18 already. Think won't be in time considering we still need to go for counselling and blood test. But may request for the blood test tomorrow first.

CT,

is the lucrin injected using normal syringe or a pen injector ? u very good leh... inject yourself... when I did my puregon injections... my hubby did it for me... I cant imagine doing it myself...

the cost of the puregon/gonal-f is high indeed. Not sure which one u will be using but.. I think kkivf had been using puregon(follistim) recently. I bought 600iu (1 cartridge) for 400-500 dollars. So can easily go up the thousands
happy.gif
One thing good abt kkivf is that they actually lent u the injection pen so u no need to buy. Else increase cost for nothing mah ;)

chemistry

Dr loh is ok but I find him a bit shy shy ... I noticed he nver really looked at us when he talked or explain lah ... like paiseh paiseh like tat ... hahah but overall he's quite a nice person and is also quite humurous ... He din really talked much about the procedure to us just discussed the agreement we need to sign b4 commencing the program. Compared with Dr Yeong, I think Dr Yeong give us the impression that he's more confident, serious and professional. Got good got bad lah ... we stick to Dr SF Loh as he was appointed to us by the nurse and b4 I met Dr Yeong.

The Lucrin Jab starts on CD21 ... I had my first jab yday in the clinic with the nurse help. I find all the nurses in the IVF very good. They are very friendly and helpful. They did not loan us any injector as we use those disposable ultra fine needle for the Lucrin injection.

In fact Dr loh did mentioned actually b4 we start the program we have to have safe sex for tat cycle. But he also mentioned actually even if we really conceived naturally this cycle the jabs will not caused too much harm to the bb so we go ahead with the program as both my hus and me felt the chance for us to conceive naturally is almost none since we had tried for 5 years and nothing happened and moreover my hus SA was really bad.

Btw, have you already been referred to IVF center? I think if you are not you will not be able to make it this month ... you would need to go for the rubella/HIV blood test and also the counselling with the medical social worker and the appointed doc. If I am not wrong Dr SF loh is only available on Wed.

But you can always try .. bring along your marriage certificate tmr for the IVF registration.

poohy

I'm using the normal syringe for the Lucrin injection. It's not too bad cos the needles are ultra fine but then it's abt 2cm long so a bit scary to look at. My hus no use lah ... he say he's also scare but he's willing to do for me ... but he mentioned he will do it the acupuncture way ie poke in fast and hard ... I think if he do it will be more painful so decided to do it myself .... hahaha ... so now his job is jus to prepared the syringe for me and I do teh jab myself.

It's really quite ok ... jus need more practice hahah ... the place I poke yday turn blue black ... maybe too kancheong press to hard. But today is perfect, no pain no blood
happy.gif

CT,

so will dr loh be the one that will be doing the retrieval and transplant for u ?

I agree the nurses at kkivf is very helpful and friendly. They are very knowledgeable also ...

CT..

u really brave. I think if me hor.. I will stare at the needle for the whole day without even trying to inject... too scared. My hubby also used the "accupunture" method lah. But.. the nurse told us that the key to having less pain is to inject in direct, fast and dun hesitate. Remember to alternate between the 2 sides of your tummy hor ;)

By the end of my injections I got blue black patches all over my tummy liao... lol. But thanks to technology advances.. we very lucky to have those ultra fine needles.. else cant imagine.

What's the difference between the fine needle and the pen injector? which one is easier to poke?

Just reading this scares me, but we have to be strong.

I'm "resting" for a few weeks due to my vaccine, but once it's ok, i'll go ahead with IVF too. Best of luck CT.

CT, pls continue to update us on your progress, jabs and all, interested to know a real live procedure. So now it's 2 weeks of jabs. Is it all done on tummy area only? no where else? Are you given any oral drugs? I'm real scared of jabs too. How do you know that it's done correctly and that the medication is going into the blood stream or wherever it's supposed ot go to? I cannot rely on hubby to do it for me bec he prob'ly faint on seeing the needle.....

Is pen injector better?

maya,

normally the jabs are non-intramuscular injection, thus no need to poke into veins or deep inside the flesh. These ultra thin needles only inject just below the skin ... maybe fat layer
happy.gif
Most of the time the jabs, we will be advised to do it at tummy area.. I heard its the best injection site... but I have read that some people inject it on their thigh too. Whatever it is, we gotta alternate the injection site (one day left side of tummy, next day right side).. else that site that you keep injecting will become hardened and the absorption of the medicine will be reduced.

the jabs are really not that painful... i think most people are more afraid of the act of injecting the needle than the pain these days. Cos the ultra thin needles and pen injector literally take the pain out of injection... too fine liao lol. Like my gynae said, its idiot proof.

CT

no scanning was required during the 2 weeks of lucrin jab, but before they start u off with the stimulation jabs, they will scan to make sure that the ovaries are quiet.
my lucrin jab was for the whole mth. mid way thru they will ask u to start jabbing gonal-f. that means, after 14 days of lucrin, you need to still jab lucrin and jab for gonal-f. 2 jabs per day.
it sounds contradicting, but they need you to continue lucrin for fear of hyperstimulation - by the way, i was also hyperstimulated but my gynae did not really tell me in the face, coz my Estradiol hormone went up to 30,000+, and my ovaries was swollen even when i was 6 weeks pregnant.

in fact, need to be quick n fast with the jabs. my first jab started in the clinic right before my gynae eyes. the min the needle touches my tummy (before entering) i "ouch" already..hehe paisei
afterthat, professional liao..need to do it abt 45 degrees, not perpendicular in...

poohy

I forget to ask Dr Loh if the procedure will be done by him ... hmmm will drop him an email later. Actually I'm quite ok with the physical pain I have to go thru ... but duno if I can handle the emotional pain I ahve to go thru if I fail. I'm very scare of the result even i just started yday ... sighhh

maya

no problem ... I will share wit all the things I go thru
happy.gif
And dun worry it's really not tat painful and not so difficult too ... you will have the strength to go thru if you know you will be blessed with a bb at the end of the road.
happy.gif

Micky

Oh ... I duno the Lucrin Jab will continue ... So how long did you jab for gonal-f?

Dr loh did mentioned to me about the risk of hyperstimulation but he say he still have to give me the standard dosage jus incase lower dosage dun work for me. Oh ya I heard you got 26 eggs retrieved right? Dr loh told me he ever had a patient with 40 eggs !!! Tat's alot and he mentioned like the lady got really bloated and her skin become very thin and water will flow out of the skin. Very scarry hor .. duno if I got hear wrongly ... hahha
happy.gif

Yday when I do the jab in the clinic wit the nurse I also 'ouch' when teh needle touches my tummy .... hahha abut this morning I follow the nurse instruction to poke in fast and quick it's so much better. maybe tomorrow I will be expert liao ... hahhah
happy.gif

i think another reason why the lucrin is continued even when the gonal-f/puregon are injected to stimulate the ovaries is to prevent your body's natural lh surge which will trigger an untimely ovulation. In this way, can harvest maximum number of viable eggs this way and make sure the eggs are harvested before the body can ovulate by itself
happy.gif

CT, dun worry.. I am very sure u will succeed first try. Most of the people who did it at age below 35 years old shd stand very good chance with ivf/icsi.

CT, micky,

when my hubby first did the jab for me at the kkivf in front of the nurse... his hands were trembling so much we all can see it shaking lol
happy.gif
u gals really brave to do it yourself. I make my hubby do it for me so that even though he dun have to go thru all those pain... he will be part of the process haha...

Back