Issues with piano teacher

Felicity1980

Lately i signed my child up for classes at a specific studio owned by a teacher with a LLCM certification. Although she did not show her cert, her students' marksheets had "presented by xxx llcm", so we decided to give it a go.

During the first lesson, she was rather nice, a lady in her late 50s or early 60s. But I found it weird she spent lots of time demonstrating and hardly hear my child played. Not only that she insisted on sharing the seat with my child when she plays. Not wanting to pass a judgement too fast, we decided to attend another lesson.

On the 2nd lesson, she started teaching a sonata and insisted that crotchets would be counted in quavers instead. When we pointed out to her, she said she is a genius and wouldnt have made any mistakes. She even yelled at us saying we challenged her ability and wasnt respecting her. When we went home, i consulted a handful of music literate friends and waa advised that it was been taught wrong.

I decided to terminate the lesson and tried contacting her. She wouldnt pick up the call, nor answered any texts regarding the termination. Mind you, she took an entire extra month of deposit as well. There was no previous agreement nor did she mention any terms and conditions about termination. As much as we would love to retrieve the deposit, we find that we should share our situation online so as to alert other parents of such issues.
As of the time of the post, we are considering making a report and visiting small claims. Although it might not help us in getting back any possible refunds, we definitely hope to leave a trace of the incident so that if anyone encounters such a similar issue, they will be alerted.

(We will not disclose the teacher's address nor name as our objective is just to bring to light of such issues. Cheers)

Back