Insurance for mums n baby

Maternity plans cover pregnancy complications and baby congenital issues. Can start to apply from 16 weeks up to 36 weeks ( differs from insurer to insurer)

Can get from

- Axa ( bundled with either ILP/savings/whole life plan)
- AIA (bundled with ILP)
- GE/Ocbc (no bundle)
- Prudential (bundled with ILP)
- Ntuc (no bundle)

After baby is born, quickly buy a hospital plan (shield plan) - if baby is pre-term (under 37 weeks) then can only buy from Aviva under moratorium underwriting option cos all other insurers will postpone the case and ask you to apply in 1-3 years time.

For Zika cover, get a personal accident plan that covers infectious diseases from insurers like Sompo or NTUC

In my opinion the maternity plans are quite similar. If the parents have insufficient coverage then go for axa to bundle with life plan for daddy or mummy. If don't want to bundle with another plan then go for GE or NTUC.

I'm an independent life insurance broker. I believe in low cost insurance option which is value for $ for you to cover the essential risks.

Please call me at 8688 6620 for more information.

Last edited:
Maternity plans cover pregnancy complications and baby congenital issues. Can start to apply from 16 weeks up to 36 weeks ( differs from insurer to insurer)

Can get from

- Axa ( bundled with either ILP/savings/whole life plan)
- AIA (bundled with ILP)
- GE/Ocbc (no bundle)
- Prudential (bundled with ILP)
- Ntuc (no bundle)

After baby is born, quickly buy a hospital plan (shield plan) - if baby is pre-term (under 37 weeks) then can only buy from Aviva under moratorium underwriting option cos all other insurers will postpone the case and ask you to apply in 1-3 years time.

For Zika cover, get a personal accident plan that covers infectious diseases from insurers like Sompo or NTUC

In my opinion the maternity plans are quite similar. If the parents have insufficient coverage then go for axa to bundle with life plan for daddy or mummy. If don't want to bundle with another plan then go for GE or NTUC.
Agree:)

Hi all! just adding my 2 cents worth! Prenatal coverage is really quite low and anyone pls Correct me if I am wrong.. but found out that the prenatal coverage and payout is generally the same in the ILP kind as mentioned above and the stand alone kind(term insurance , 1 time payment of a few hundred but cover only till 1 month after birth) from GE/ntuc. Only difference is 1 month after birth, 1 plan ceases (term) but the other one (ILP/wholelife) continues . But this also means commitment is longer and it also means locking yourself in for a few more thousand more + a longer payment period..

Although prenatal coverage is not very high However I still decided to get prenatal coverage (1 time term insurance from GE) as I met someone who gave birth unexpectedly earlier at 34 weeks due to pre eclampsia and she said the prenatal coverage at least helped to subsidize her and her baby's icu hospitalization in the first month which was a big financial relief.

The Continuation kind as offered by Aia,prudential and axa only assures that you are able to insure baby for whole life plan or an endowment plan after birth. However my main concern and objective was getting full medical /hospitalization coverage for baby from birth which none of the plans offer. Most require a minimum waiting period before accepting baby for hospitalization plan coverage and still subject to underwriting and possible loading.

Just wanted to share what I researched.. I am not an agent :) Guess it's really up to the individual parents to decide what suits their needs and Budget better !

Back