Help ! three and a half boy refuses to be toilet-trained

deron

My boy attends childcare and the teachers are trying to toilet train him. They will let him go diaper-less but when he needs to pee/poo, he will ask for diaper. When the teacher brings him to the toilet, he refuses to relieve himself and cries till given the diaper. He behaves the same when at home. To all mothers, please I really need some advice. Thank you.

How old is your child? It's not healthy to stress kids over urinating/pooping. My son's not fully ready to be weaned off diapers and we don't force him to. He's putting in effort to let us know when he needs the toilet so we're giving him a few more months.

Can the teachers allow you to train him at home? Afterall, they are strangers and your son may not be comfortable with them.

My son three plus year old would insist on wearing diapers for poo. He is ok for pee though. I agree with mumusings that stress is not healthy. Just go with their tempo and encourage along the way.

I read on another thread that there are kiddy board books on this topic which might help. Boys have their ego and so it might work better if you encourage them to be like daddy?

My boy used to insist on diapers for poo. Same, for pee wise, he is willing to go to the toilet bowl. Was only after much "counselling"..one fine day, he decided to go and sit on the toilet bowl for poo. He was 3yo then.

Hi mummies,

I'm trying to train my 3 yr old boy to use the toilet. Initially started with potty but because his childcare don't use potty, I've have to train him to use toilet. It has been a week already. He has overcome the fear of sitting on the toilet but he hasn't got the concept of using the toilet. So far he managed to pee twice successfully into the toilet bowl. But everytime have to spend quite a bit of time reading to him before he can pee. My problem is he doesn't tell me that he needs to pee/poo despite me asking him every 10-15min. Every time I ask him, he will tell me "No" then the next min, he pee/poo in his training pants. When I ask him where he has to go pee/poo, he can answer me correctly but he still choose to pee/poo in his pants. After that then tell me "wet wet". I'm tired. Any advice?

Hi Mummies,

Seems like no reply. Anyway after 1mth of toilet training at home plus 2weeks in childcare, he is able to tell me when he needs to pee but not poo. I have to catch him trying to pass motion n quickly go to the toilet. Just started going diaperless when we go out during weekends. First time he cried when I put him on the public toilet. Subsequently he is ok but I juz cannot stand some dirty toilets and yet have to put my precious one on top to pee.

Back