Help! My son got hurt had 10 stitches in international nursery school

yuhanshao

Please help me... I really don't know what to do now...

I just moved to Singapore last September with my 2-year-and-8-month son and my parents. I registered an international school for my son near Woodleigh. The school is American style and has primary, secondary and high school. My husband and I visited the school before registration and they showed us a 'sample classroom' which looked quite good. It is a private international school so the fee is quite high. Though it is expensive to my family we think for my son's education that is worth it.

But only the second week my son was in school, I got the call from school nurse that my son's head (in right eye area) got hurt so badly that I have to take him for stitches. When I saw my son there were bloods on his T-shirt, a wide obvious wound in the middle of right eye brow. The first thought was to take my son to hospital and ensure he was not hurt seriously. I even didn't call the policy to file the record or didn't ask the school to call an ambulance. I took taxi to KK hospital by myself. How stupid was I...

After we arrived at KK hospital the doctor inspected my son's wound, eye and body carefully. The female doctor even asked if my son lost consciousness when he fell down. They have to give my son sleeping medicine to do stitches (10 stitches in his little right eye brow area). My son lost consciousness for one hour... I couldn't do anything but shed tears out of the operation room. Before the end of the operation the doctor asked me to come in and warned me there was a separate bruise which potentially caused by the hurt of the edge of eye bone but the doctor couldn't identify by then. When my son started to have consciousness he recognized me and kept saying 'mum, mum, mum'. My heart was broken to pieces... Because of the effect of the sleeping medicine he couldn't even sit or stand until late that day. After we got home he suffered from side effects like vomiting, fever, pain and cried until late night. In the following days his right eye area had a huge lump and until one week the lump disappeared. 20 days passed now and there are two red scars in his right eye area. :(:(:(:(

My family and I were really disappointed and angry. Because just one day earlier my son lost his shoe, and teacher assistants and my father looked for the shoe for a while. Finally my son's shoe was found on the playground... He was on one bare foot back to the classroom. There are 1 teacher and 2 teachers' assistants taking care of 11 kids, such a high proportion but 2 incidents happened.

Besides, we were astonished by the 'real' classroom's decorations - the hopping area and snaking area where my son got hurt. The morning hopping and singing activity was held in the classroom where there was a wall with 3 hanging electricity wires (The school explained to us the wires are just like telephone cables but they were charging laptop there...), and the furniture were in the middle of classroom with squared angles. Teachers' working stations are in the classroom as well, there are plastic boxes with sharp angles under the teacher's working station. We also saw water bucket with water and swap at the entrance of the classroom.

We talked to the teachers, school principles, superintendents, and asked to see the CCTV. But they insisted there was no CCTV in the classroom and this was just an accident that they couldn't do anything even in the future... I am really upsetting. I am worrying about putting my son back to their class, especially after the arguments on teachers' and schools' responsibilities. As a private school it is not under the supervision of MOE, we are not Singapore citizen or PR holder so we couldn't see governor, it seems the only choice is to see them in court. Or I have to put my son back to their supervision... We are considering withdraw if the school wouldn't do anything to supervise teachers and teachers' assistants, or change the furniture/layout in the classroom. But based on our 4 meetings with the school they don't have any plan. And they insisted that they don't have responsibility for this...

Had anyone have similar experience? Please help us. I am feeling very bad and frustrated. As a mum I couldn't do anything to find justice to my son and my family. I selected such as school that my son got hurt and had scars in the eye area. What can I do to find justice to my son and my family...

I looked at the sad pictures of my son again. Why didn't I report to the policy at the first time it happened. Omg....

I looked at the sad pictures of my son again. Why didn't I report to the policy at the first time it happened. Omg....

Sorry, wish I could help but can't offer any advice. Have you sought the opinion of a lawyer or someone in education who might have any idea if the school could be held semi-responsible?

It sure sounds like they have very poor supervision of kids despite the teacher-student ratio.

I will suggest you check w a lawyer too.. My son had a similar incident at a child care when he was 3 many years ago too. He had to be hospitalised for 4 days n the scar still remains 10 years later.. He was covered by insurance that the school had purchased as part of the school fees n the principal n teacher came down to visit too.. But there was no cctv hence we were also not sure of the details but he fell n hit a step.. Hence we did not pursue further ..I suggest U should also check w the other parents of the school .. I am surprised at the condition of how u describe the classroom.. It should be child safe n that def does not sound like it.. I have a younger kid who is 3 this year n I had check for a few childcare last year. None was as bad as what u describe regardless of expensive or cheap childcare .from your response I find the attitude of the school lacking .. If I am in your position.. I will def take out my kid to make me feel more assured .. Fyi..As my son scar was around the eyebrow too n it's a jagged wound cos the skin cracked open to reveal bone..Kkh had to get a cosmetic surgeon To stitch him up... The doc had advised us to keep it covered.. Not to expose to sunlight n to apply a cream(can't recall) twice a day to minise the scar.. U can check w doc for that.. Hope things turn out well for you.. Take care..

Back