Glenn Doman Flash Cards Vs Shicida Method

maglee

Hi

Does anyone have experience with the Glenn Doman Flash cards for english and maths?

They are pricey for flash cards but was told i can attend workshops.

Please share your experience (good / not-so-good)

I can't decide if I should buy the cards or join the Shicida method

thanks
mag

Hi Mag

Both Shichida and GD method are right brain training methods. The one main difference is that GD is homebased and Shichida is classroom based (although parents have to do 'homework' for it to be effective).

Im using the GD method for my son. GD believes that the best teacher is the primary care giver or the mother. it is a very warm, homebased concept in teaching.

Pros of GD
----------------
1. You craft and decide what you want your son to learn (The words, the concepts)
2. You can actually make your own cards, in fact that was what GD suggested, rather than buying those ready made cards.

COns
-----------
1. Can be quite tedious when you implement the entire programme. Coz other than flashcards, you are encouraged to make them more 'real life' for your child (either through games, activities or books)..i make some home made power point books...

Shichida, i cant help much. i didnt like it as it was classroom based,w hich i felt wasnt the right thing to do given my son's age. In fact, i find it a very japanese idea (too culturally loaded for me to buy the idea). also, i read the book and decided im not comfortable with some ideas inside. Eg. ESP and stuff (not that it doesnt work or wont make my son smarter, but i do not agree with certain ideas...)

Frankly, you should just get any of the GD books to get a better idea. In fact, there is a seminar coming this march, why not attend it and see for yourself...

As for whether it works, yes it does. my son is considered not very advanced for his age, but he can read some words, and has very strong receptive vocab (but weak productive lah, cant help with that).At 15mths, he could understand complex instructions like 'go to the bathroom, take the toothbrush and give it to daddy'

of course, many others (esp girls) will have more astounding stories to tell of the possibilities with GD or Shichida...

thanks lilboymum.

I feel much better reading your post. It's insightful.

did you buy the english and maths kits from GD baby which costs about $950 or did you make them yourself?

I'm interested to know more about your power point books. Care to share an example?

thanks.

Haha..
Yes...i bought the very expensive kit (math and english). coz i was lazy lah. but i didnt use all the words in all the categories. some, i do not find relevant. words like 'garage' i'll replace with some other words. there are blank eraseable cards inside, so you can include your own words.

If im not wrong, you can get those blank cards (Same dimensions) from some bookstore. There is a thread somewhere discussing this...alternatively, you can look out for it from WTS thread, coz many parents buy then cannot commit, then sell :p

i can email you some sample of the powerpoint i made. but they are very simple, only huge due to pictures. i only use those words that my son learn and retired oredi and make picture slides (word slides separately).

Eih, there is a price incease ah? i rem i bought it late last year, was around 800plusplus...

Hi lilboymum,

I heard that the GD kit costs as much as 1~2K??
U mentioned that the flashcards can be self-made, can u advise how?
If u dun mind, can u share wif me a sample of ur powerpoint? Thanks!
happy.gif

jazzyjas
i think if you buy everything, including the physically superb, chinese words set. it might add up to 1-2k...not sure.

you can buy those cards from teh suppliers (sorry dunno which is that) and the dots (for math) and marker (for language) from popular.

PM me and i will reply with a couple of samples...

Hi lilboymum, thanks for your info on GD. I'm a blur mum, starting on the DIY material preparation, and reading about GD.
You mentioned about pictures. Do you show the word, and then its picture in 1 set? I thought GD is about words only. will be grateful for your advice.

Hi lilboymum

Can you share with me your powerpoint also? I just got some blankcards, and am going to start doing some flashcards for my boys. Seeing your powerpoint will surely give me a better idea!

My email is [email protected]
Thanks!

hi all...
u may go to yahoo.com.sg for groups tat ve links to shichida method. there's quite a few interesting articles as well as free ppt downloads.
hope tis helps!

Just to share my experience on both methods.

I have used GD with both my sons and I find it very effective. I didn't attend any workshop, nor buy any sets. I just read a book on it and made my own word cards. I didn't do the Math program. Just focused on English words for only a few weeks and my older son could read close to 800 words by the time he was 2. I started GD a little later for my 2nd boy, but he could read a lot too, though I haven't counted so far. My older who is now 4.5yo can read books meant for age 12 now. Though we didn't use GD for very long, I honestly believe that is what set the foundation in the early years.

So my suggestion is to just make the cards yourself and save the $.

As for Shichida, I went before for a term and without the home practice, it is hard to see any effect. Though I believe in the system a lot, there are too many factors that will affect success rate. Number 1 is the quality of teachers you get in class which varies a lot and you have no control over that as you can't choose in advance. Also,you need at least 1 yr of consistent home practice and classes to see the effect in your child. So a lot of commitment, not to mention very pricey.

Hope above is helpful to those who are considering. You can visit my blog at www.*******************************.blogspot.com where I share a lot of the homeschooling activities I do with my boys. I used to share what we did on both methods too.

Hi domesticgoddess

are you a stay-at-home-mum? u make it sound easy and simple.

I am a working mum and I do not have time to do flash cards with him daily. I heard that flash cards will have to do it like 3x a day ?

I really love to do my own cards but I dun know how to and can you share with us what book did you read ? Is once a day flash card enuf ?

Hi,

Im curious... how do you guys make your own flashcards? If for A5 size, you print on paper and stick to thicker cards? Tried to print direct to thicker papers but apparently that will damage my printer very fast. The GD mtd dictates that the flashcards have to be a certain dimensions, which obviously does not make it feasible to print as per above. So what do you do? Tried to ask professional printers to print but they are quoting $0.90/pc cheapest!! IF you are writing where do you get the cards to write? Cut from vanguard sheets?

The flashcards that are available for downloads are in PDF format- meaning die die cannot alter right? But they come with the brillkids logos. Read somewhere that training of dunno right of left brain, the picture cannot be with words -so the brillkids logo will affect the learning?

Please advise.

Very kan cheong now, cos seems like time running out with my baby rching 11mths aldy then i start to read on these!!

The glen doman method advocates flashing three times a day, which is difficult for most parents/mothers, not only working but stay at home mums. I was at home with my first dd and after awhile, just not disciplined enough and gave up. Maybe with time constraints, should get the ready made cards or second hand ones. But if you buy from GD Baby, they have sessions to teach and answer questions.

I subsequently heard about schichida and it seems shichida method, flash once a day is good enough. But it advocates fast flashing of many picture flashcards to activate the right brain. Not just word cards.

Hope this helps

Hi,

Im also v interested on ho to make own flashcards. Can someone pls give in detailed steps in doin tis like where to get card, font etc....

Hi,

Im ordering 250gsm blank flashcards(aft sticking the 80gsm paper that i will be using to print out the contents, total will be 330gsm as recommended by a mummy on kiasu parent.

A5 size: 800 pcs.
A4 size: 500 pcs

Let me know if you would like to share with me.

Price will be at:
$3.30 per 100pcs of A5 size
$6.60 per 100pcs of A4 size
to pay for me to collect from the supplier, will need to take a cab cos of the weight.

Collection point will be at Bukit Gombak Mrt.

Order will only be confirmed when money is received. Please let me know order quantity (in 100s) & size and i email back with the bank account no.

Thank you.

Hi EliteMom,

Have you tried the flash cards yet? Just noticed this discussion and was wondering if instead of spending nearly 1K for the English and Math flash cards I have

The GD Baby's Enhanced Reading Kit Vol 1 & 2 (Still shrink wrapped)

How to Teach Your Baby Math Kit (Open)
How to Teach Your Baby to Read Kit Open)

Books

How to Multiply Your Baby's intelligence (In shrink wrap)
How to Teach Your Baby Math (In shrink wrap)

Those open are still in very good condition and hardly used.

Thinking of selling them all off at S$500.

Alison

I have a stacks of Glenn Doman English Flash (good condition) for sale at $250, also MUST go Moncure (My First Steps to Reading (A to Z books), Moncure (My First Steps to Math 1 to 10) and Disney's World of English Basic ABCs (A to Z) with VCDs. please contact 82111289

Hi Mommies,

You may want to check out www.excellenceplaylearning.com

I use these cards for teaching/playing with my gal. I'm skipping N1 for her and going N2 next year.

Though she's year end kid, she's already mastered counting to at least 12 and going into word recognition.

I find this set of materials useful. Small investment. Can use for a few years.

The Complete set consists of:

5 sets of Flip Cards
4 sets of Matching Charts & Cards

Syllabus consists of:

Numbers, Counting, Aphabet, Colours & Shapes

Original Price: $171.55 (Already very good as compared to other materials)

But I can get at 10% discount if you're keen.

email me at: [email protected]

Cheers,
Gwen.

Hi Icyclaw, I'm keen in buying the blank cards, both A5 & A4 sizes. How can I order them? I'm thinking of ordering abt 2,000 pieces of A5 and 200 pieces of A4.
Can email me the details at [email protected]

Hi busy mommy,

may i know where did u get the disney world of english from? I have been looking for it but couldnt find it at all.. thanks

Any one interested in GD English Flash Card.
Comes in 2 boxes. !st box is open and 2nd box is still in un-open condition..
Receipt is still avaliable hence you can attend the workshop by quoting the receipt nos.
Interested please PM me...

hi,
I hv the GD english and math flash cards(full set) to let to go, bought it last year, PM me if anyone interested.thanks

all are open but still in very good condition as i stopped use it after gave birth #2.

Hi I am interested to buy the used Glenn doman English and chinese flash cards. If anyone is thinking of selling please PM me thanks

Hi? I've the glen domain set but nit sure how many words n how often to flash to my twin baby girls who r 2 mo .. Also how often do I change the words ??

Weekly or ?? I wanna b disciplined n start " training" next week!!

hi,

I am interested to get GD Eng/Chi/Math and BOI.

Pls PM me your price, condition of the sets, place of collection and when u purchased them. PM me pictures if possible. thank u.

Shichida Tensai Memory Material

Memory Genius Flash Card Set G - Chinese

Self-collect at :

MRT stations: Tiong Bahru, Outram, Chinatown, Clarke Quay, Cityhall, Bugis - 8.30am to 9am & 5.30pm to 6.30pm or

Bras Basah Complex, Central National Library - 8.30am to 9am & 5.30pm to 6.30pm or

near Jalan Bukit Merah & Kim Tian.

Other collection venue can be arranged.

4440659.jpg

Hi oink1526, i'm not familiar with the memory genius flash cards. Is it suitable for 3-4 yo? Can't seem to find info online. Chinese words right?

Glen Doman Flash Card english volume 1 and 2 for sale. Throwing in reading kit set and cd too.

Asking entire set for $650

Call 97919180.

Tks!!

hi, my boy is 3 months now, i also plan to do flash cards with him. but singapore is selling way too expensive, i found that China is selling similar flash cards, not from Glenn Doman, but they print the cards according to Glenn Doman requirememnts. Do you gals think will have the same result? i'm tempted to buy as alot cheaper.

Can anyone using Glenn Doman's flash cards share with me, what is the special on their cards compared to other publishers or DIY cards? as it is so expensive, i'm curious.

I'm planning to buy, anybody is interested ?

hi grace, how much are the flash cards from china? I am interested but want to find out more. can you pm me? i tried to pm you but you don't accept pm.

i'm still doing homework on which to buy. After i get it i will share with you gals whether it is ok.

i'm staying in Shanghai now, so it will be convenient for me to get here.

for the flash cards itself, (numbers, chinese/english & encyclopaedia) cost around sgd200+. i'm not sure the postage to singapore.

Hi,

I have:
1). A set of Original english Glenn Doman,GD cards for sales
2). A set of Original Chinese Glenn Doman,GD cards for sales

Both sets selling at SGD 600.

Pls contact at +65-64049212,if you are intereted in these set or email at [email protected].

Hi

I am interested to get Glenn Doman Eng/Chi/Math and BOI. Together with the relevant books.

Pls PM me your price, condition of the sets, place of collection and when u purchased them. PM me pictures if possible. thank u.

<font size="+2"><font color="purple">hi Mummies
anybody interested to share order of blank flash card from HiapMoh?

I stay on the west area (Ghim Moh)

Planning to buy C1S Ivory (FB1B) 300 gsm - 1 side glossy, 1 side matte
comes in size : 25x37"

Price : ~ 52$ per pack of 100 sheets (will call tml to double check the price)

1 pack of 100 sheets can yield :
- 600pcs of typical size Glenn Doman 6"x22" reading card
or
-600 pcs of Math flash card

Im taking 2 packs, need takers for another 3 packs for free delivery
happy.gif

Please PM me asap if youre interested
happy.gif
or email to [email protected]

tks ^^</font>

</font>

Hi, i've few boxes of GD english flash card was given by sis in law, w/o instruction n she forgot how to used.
Anyone know how to use willing to guide me? Thanks in advance.

Back