FUSSY EATER - need advice!!!

Smiley,

Will keep trying. Just that my MIL looks after him during the day and she is not willing to force him to take rice.

Last saturday, we went mcdonald and surprisingly my son decided french fries are not bad at all and took quite a bit. We found out he prefers the smaller and crunchier ones.

my girl 3 yrs old is having the same eating problem. the usual children's favorites - french fries, chicken wing, nuggets, ice cream, raisins, she all doesn't like. she's getting from bad to worst, last time still can coax her into eating, let her watch barney, play toys. now this method is not workable. eating time is a stressful time for me. she tells my maid everytime mummy face black. how to not black, when she takes hour to eat and no finish. porridge also keep in her mouth.

she is on pedisure since 1 yr old but i cant see any tremedous increase in weight. u will be shock to know she is only 12 kg.

recently she keep getting sick after going nursery, doc say she lack of nutrients.

i really lost. have been praying to god hoping for miracle, but still no answer yet.

already at the edge of giving up hope.

TYL,
what is her fav food? u have any idea?
i think 12kg for 3yo still not tat bad lah.
my gal dun like porridge either. she prefer bread, pancake, cake all these. so her lunch most of the time would be all these instead of porridge. if u feed her porr everyday she sure will be very sian. how abt rice? u try feeding her rice? sometime i would feed my gal rice in soup and the soup must be v v delicious and tasty. and dinner time we try feed some cereal lor if not rice or noodle.
just keep trying to see what food she like. u will be surprise.

btw, i think pediasure has all the nutrients necessary for 1-10yo kid so shouldnt be tat bad.

i have not been giving her rice for past 2 days. she used to like the button mushroom, maggi mee. yesterday night cook maggi for her, also take one hour. use to like cakes, now also no like.

really doesnt know what she favor. kids usually like raisin, but she doesn't. very funny girl. hope she still loves her durian.

Hi TYL,
My son is also taking pediasure. He is 21 months and if not wrong, weighs only around 10kg. He likes to eat cakes/biscuits but we only give him after he finishes his meals. If he doesn't eat his meals properly, we'll use the time out method.

He has feeding prob since 2.5months. One milk feed can take 1hr. When he's around 1 year old, we talked and sang to him while feeding. We tried our best to distract him. However, as he grows older, it didn't really help and he'll spit out his food. Thus, the time out method is used.

I don't allow him to be fussy. He must eat any kinds of food that we prepare for him.

hi all... i wonder if you ladies might want to consider western meals for a change? i agree with smileyface, if we eat porridge everyday also sian. :p

my 2 cts worth: it's important to introduce as many diff types of food, incl veg, fruits, meats etc from the time bb starts eating and also as many varied menus. from the start, i tried all sorts of western (like pasta, quiche, frittata, shepherd's pie, smoothie, pancake, cereal, oats etc) and asian(egg custard, fried or soup noodles, rice etc). There are many ways to vary even noodles. sometimes i use udon, or mee pok or ee mee or mee sua.

my bb altho only 14 months, eats well and i was just counting... he has eaten at least 12 different types of fruit regularly.

it takes effort to think up a menu daily but i also vary every single meal. rarely the same thing twice in a day!

sorry, i read thro the posts again and my impression is most of you seem to be giving similar foods daily? porridge or rice w/meat and veg?

if it helps, maybe i share my recipe...

i normally make a big pot of soup stock, put into packets and freeze. i boil ikan bilis with celery, carrots, onions, corn.

when i cook soup dishes, i defrost a packet of soup stock. in it i will add at least 1 green (like spinach, pek chye, chye sim, french bean, broccoli) and 1 orange veg (pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot, tomato). i also throw in other stuff like shitake mushroom, tofu, seaweed. for meats, i use beef, pork, chicken or fish incl salmon, cod and tuna. then for the carbo, i use ABC pasta, other pasta, udon, different noodles.

end up, my soup meal will have at least 5 diff ingredients inside! very yummy, even my 10 yo DD likes it.

i only offer soup once a day and sometimes not at all. other times i make pasta, noodle or rice with the ingredients mentioned but vary it. sometimes i make it more western by throwing in cheese at the end. sometimes i just add a little thick black soya sauce (not so salty). sometimes just a tiny pinch of salt.

i don't offer rice with meat/veg like separates. i usu throw everything in together like steamed egg custard has minced meat or chicken with spinach, tofu etc.

sometimes i make stews, with meat or chx and potatoes, carrots, peas, broccoli...

then other times, i offer western meals. he love it!

i find that when i do it this way, i've got a wonderful eater! he basically finishes every single meal since day 1. maybe i'm just lucky ... for now!!! who knows? he might end up being fussy when he turns 2 too!

breakfast... i offer bread, pancake, cereal, oats and always with fruit. always.

for snacks, i give either fruits or organic cookies.

hope it helps...

hi snort,
me have tried macoroni in soup, or in pasta and homemade pizza and mee sua but my gal dun like ALL of them and refuse to eat. i add in same ingredients as u mentioned but she dun eat lor. so i cut away the meat/fish n add vege n try. still she reject. then i add fish/meat and take away the vege but still she reject. everyday i am playing guessing games with her n trial n error till i super sianz. how i wish my gal like ur son...eat everything u cook. and tell u, my cooking isnt lousy at all.

i cook ikan bilis with vege, but since she started her nursery, i realise that she smells everything before she eat. so when she smell the soup, she tell me not nice.

ya, maybe 'cos last time i never really introduce variety of food so she become not adventurous in eating. then become xian with the same old thing.

it's a really headache. i find she's overall lazy to chew.

fussy eating is a bugbear for many parents. sigh...

smiley, have you tried western style meals like those i mentioned? i find my boy eats very fast with that! like today, i made shepherd's pie with mince beef and other ingredients and he finished every morsel in under 10 min! easy to make, v nutritious and let me tell you, i gave him a substantial portion.
happy.gif
can i ask how you make your soup stock? oh, but if you cook well, you would know... sorry! like teaching my grandmother to ... (not nice to complete the saying!) maybe variety is the spice of life with her. maybe she sian already lor. aiyah, indeed trial and error.

your gal not 1yo yet, right? maybe she's not quite ready for solids? it's a tough one... sometimes i think the dc goes 'on strike' becos they cannot handle the food? does she have any issue with gas? bloated tummy? wind? farting? certain foods give my boy bloated tummy and then he doesn't have that good an appetite.

but generally he's quite kwai. eats his food and on top of that, if we're out eating, he'll like ours as well! but i refrain from giving him the gravy and heavily seasoned food. just quite plain stuff. no junk food. snacks are low sugar and organic or fruits. basically you put anything near his mouth, he'll just open his mouth lor! *hehe* quite a joy to feed! my hubby always says, "greedy boy" but i say, better he loves to eat than not! don't say things like that! maybe i'm just lucky... for now.
happy.gif
who knows?

TYL, wah, your dd quite discerning leh!! i'm only concerned what they offer at the nursery... is it with MSG? cannot guarantee lor, esp if they cater from outside. maybe it's just a phase she's going thro? maybe she sees other children rejecting food and getting away with it? when did she start nursery? maybe she has some issues there? try and find out? if she suddenly seems to dislike a lot of food, might be good to investigate. ask the teacher. try simple western meals. very easy to make and nutritious. everything in a dish.

very hard to discuss this online but can pm me if anyone wants to discuss something. i read that how and what we ate in pregnancy affects them becos of the tastes that pass thro us. maybe if you think back to pg, you might find your diet was limited?! i dunno lah. this is a theory i guess. i eat a lot of things during pg, so maybe... even when i give my boy something with a tad of chilli, he'll still eat and won't mind some more!

hi snort,
i cook fisherman pie for her b4 but she refuse to eat also. pasta cook before as well.
and soup base i use pork rib + dried scallop + corn + onion + carrot + potato to cook leh.
sometime i use ikan bili + vege to cook the stock too. cant be the soup not nice mah...its gd enough for adult to drink like tat.
i cook minestrone soup b4 too but she dun like leh. such a fussy gal.
whenever i put something beside her mouth, most of the time she dun even wan to open her mouth. mouth shut v v v tight. its always force her to eat the 1st mouthful. if she like the taste then she cont to eat some,.,..if not..she will not open her mouth no matter how we coax her. and even she like the taste, the amt she eat is v little nia.
my gal coming 13mths soon.

Hi,

Just to encourage other mums with fussy eaters out there. I started to see some lights at the end of the tunnel.

My son started to take his porridge everyday since my last post. He grows to like french fries and ask for his daily chocolate fix a few times a day. I have to start to control his chocolate intake. Now I feeling more like a normal mother.

Nowadays, he is a bit more adventurous, will ask to eat a new kind of food or drink. Although most of the time, he still prefers his familiar items.

My target now is to get him to take rice so that bringing him out will be easier in the future.

Red Tulip

Glad to know that your son is beginning to take more kinds of food. For the rice, u wanna try my method? I put a small piece of french fries on top of each spoonful to make him take the rice. Told him that he has to take the whole spoonful or nothing at all. Very effective!

My son has started to take peanuts and the lotus root I used in the soup I prepared for him.

Very happy
happy.gif
Now wanna coax him to eat green vegetables.

gals....my gal now 14mo++ and i am still struggling
sad.gif

porridge she still dun want, so we still giving cereal once a day. and the other meal mainly she refuse to eat. when i bring her out i try give her some noodle but she will take abt 10 teaspoons and refuse liao and want to get down to run abt. i try giving rice too but she cant handle well and tend to choke and vomit and same thing she eat for at most a few teaspoon and refuse liao. bread all these she dun wan to eat also now. really headache. now i can oni hope that my gal will become tam jia soon...

hi

Forgot to add my son survived on only milk and biscuits for about 3 months before he takes porridge again.

so mummies hang on. the stage will past soon although at that point in time I worried every minutes.

yeah mummies, hang in there. and just keep trying and try everything u can think of. there was one point i got so depressed every mealtime that i'll yell and get violent. somehow things got better but not without much heartaches.

things i've tried which u might want to try as well :

1) i used his favourite elmo bowl where there's a pic of elmo in the bowl and tell him, 'u can see elmo if u finish this bowl of porridge!' and when he has finished, i let him hold the spoon and knock the base of the empty bowl lightly. it's a bit silly, but it's fun for my son to hear the knocking sound *shrug* i do this for every meal!!

2) i tell him if he finishes the bowl of porridge, i'll give him some sugar(he likes sugar). And when he really finishes it, i give him a teeny weeny bit and that's it. if he asks for more, i'll say 'u can have it again tonight after dinner/tmr when u finish lunch! Mummy promise!' (you the mummy better really keep the promise because children have supersonic memories).

3) i let him pinch on rice as i feed him his porridge. he likes pinching on the rice grains. let him make a mess and clean it up later.

4) he sits together with the whole family and eats.i bought a highchair from ikea for this very purpose.

5) whenever he finishes, i praise him and get the whole family to praise him as well. clap, cheer, balloons, watever!

6) absolutely no snacks 2 hours before his mealtime. not even sugar drinks. he can only drink water. usually before dinner time, i bring him to the playground to burn energy and it makes him more hungry. if it rains, i play ball with him. anything to make him run and sweat.

7) i refuse to give him any sweets or chocolates at all. keep them out of sight. the only exception is the pinch of sugar as a reward. and its really only a pinch(possibly abt 10grains of sugar!!)

8) i try ALL sorts of food to feed him. Now he's older, he seems to prefer harder foods than the usually gooey porridge. and most of the time, he gets to eat whatever we eat, except seafood.Here's some that i've tried:

a. plain rice, with ikan billis and vege soup(like mui fun, and of cos i remove the ikan billis before feeding him)
b. plain teochew porridge cooked with vege, with fried fish fillet.
c. spaghetti cut into short strips, with pasta sauce
d. white rice, boiled with brown rice until the grains have broken up, cooked with lean pork and spinach.
e. plain porridge cooked with leafy veg, pan fried salmon on the side
f. plain porridge cooked with si sen, pork and leafy veg
g. and a lot more! PM me and we can discuss!

9) for a period of time, i cook food/herbs that are meant for improving appetite. one of it that works really well is si sen tang (literally "four gods soup"). i gave the soup or porridge cooked in the soup to him for lunch and dinner everyday for almost 2 months. and i also give him this supplement i bought from guardian, it's called Appeton. It contains lysine, to help improve appetite. I feel that it works pretty well for my son.

10) sometimes he simply refuses to eat and i'll take away his food and let him be. I forced myself to be hardhearted and let him go hungry. WOn't offer him any snacks as well, only water and the usual milk feeds, no more than that. But if this cannot be happening everyday, otherwise the kid must risk getting gastric pains.

11) when he has constipation/wind in the tummy, he loses his appetite as well. i tried to solve the constipation problem and it took me 6 mths!

oh ya i read somewhere that it's better for the kid to be 3/4 full than 100% full. i tried it and i do see improvements!

i think there's a lot more stuffs i tried, but i can't remember now. the above are just some tricks which worked. although my son is eating much better now than when he first started on solids, i'm still on a lookout for better eating habits for him. If you want, can pm me , i really won't mind to discuss about more ideas!

Hi morning mommies,
I just came into this thread and only quickly glanced through.

My baby girl, 12 months now, also has such problem. She is refusing solids lately. Porridge is the primary solid and I've not tried the noodles though.

She will shake her head to show that she doens't want and sometimes, she would push the food out of her mouth though we manage to place the food into her mouth.

Tried to feed her biscuits but she would put it on her hand to squeeze and play with the food rather than to eat.

Would continue to keep this thread in my day-to-day reading to find out how you mommies cope with fussy eating babies.

hi koalarie,
i practically give up :p
no more cooking of porr for her anymore cos she dun even take the 1st spoonful. she see and run. even i manage put in 1 spoonful, she spit it out.
so i will try feed 1x cereal a day and this is alr a big challenge,. and the other meal, we feed her bread, bao all these lor

hi koalarie, i had the same problem with my son when he turned one year old. he refused porridge but took a liking to the rice we eat and also biscuits. so i guessed that he might like something to chew on. Started cooking the porridge less nuah. well at first he rejected the less-nuah-porridge, but after coaxing(with rewards of sugar/cookies after the meal), he liked the porridge and starts eating better.

so now i know how he signals to me that he's ready for more adult food.

smiley,
precisely, the problem le. My mom called and complained to me yesterday. I was so embarrased given that I am a FTWM and my mom is helping me to feed her and wanting to make sure she bai bai pang pang. =p

My mom is so stressed of her like that that she really panicked.

Is it also becoz it's time that our bbs want to explore eating by themselves?

We are really concerned as she is drinking only 150ml four times in a day and probably 120ml at least 3-5 times at night. Sometimes got to depend on mood somemore.

Last weekends, she practically woke up every two hours at night just to drink milk.

At this rate, I think if she is not filling; we would probably ve to become more exhausted by waking up to feed her. Haiz.

Sorry, just to find out from u mommies.

Apart from porridge and cereals, what ve u fed to a bb who is only 12 months old and only has 4teeth?

=p

Care to share? U can pm me as well.

koalarie,
my gal since start solid till now never accept porridge at all. hahaha...
she only accept cereal. and depends on mood also.

once bb turn 1yo can feed them a lot of food already. now when outside what i eat i will give her but of cos not those too oily and salty and sweet food. mainly i give soup ban mian, mee tai bak all these lor.

I am also a FTWM and my mum look after my gal. she is also v stressful cos my gal dun eat.
my gal drink even lesser than urs leh. she take 4x 5oz milk and 1x cereal for the whole day n nite. nite time she dun wake up for milk or food. she seems full and satisfy enough to sleep thru the nite hence we also dun care. even we try to feed her milk mid of nite she wont drink too...hahaha...so its quite ok for me. most time i can sleep thru out :p
only sometime she wake up to fuss..

hi,

I once watched a movie about a doctor and he said that kids can survived on very little food for very long. Also in the whole history of mankind, no kids have purposely starved themselves to death before.

some adults are also still fussy about food too.

DIL,
I think, that is the case too. So now told my mom just let my gal take whatever food she eats. =p

Smiley,
my girl takes very little water.. n she gunna twice high fevers around 39/40 and so subsequently we forced feed her water every day using syringe and cups. milk wise, really got to depend on moods.

Sometimes, just wonder if it is also teething playing a part.

And if it is in genetic, just like her father... haahaaa...

Hi all mummies
glad i have found this thread abt fussy eaters cos my 3 yr old is def one of them!
My son was a 'greedy' eater before 2 yr old, never had problems at all but when he turned 2.5yr old (not sure if it is due to falling sick frequently due to childcare), he started to lose his appetite.

Now at every dinner time, i hv to scream and shout, used timeout method etc etc just to get him to eat but he just LOVES to store his food in his mouth for like half an hr, like a hamster!! really drives me totally nuts!!

he is also taking pedisure, which i thot shd be helping his appetite.

Red Tulip - can i know what is the appleton thingy that you hv mentioned? what's e exact name and where can i get it? r u stil giving ur kid?

And my son's weight hasnt increased, i thk for the past 9mths!... sigh...
sad.gif

hi,

my ger now 19mths ..

she is only taking porridge, cereal and milk
other then that everythings is no...

fruits she only take puree, because i mix it with cereal..

Can someone help me...

sharon,
at least ur gal still take porridge which is gd liao to me...heee...cos my gal refuse porr which is v headache u know. juts let her be
happy.gif
and slowly introduce new food.

DIL,
got ah, i feed outside food leh but dun interest her too but at least she eat a bit lah. homecook food she totally reject, so heartache...hahaha
she used to love bread n cake but now also refuse to eat bread n cake anymore. really angry,.

Ame,

Appeton is something like a multi vitamins but contains some igredient to help increase appetite. I tried it as mt friend with 2 kids recommended it to me. You can get Appeton in Guardian at the vitamins shelves. Come in liquid and tablets form. We stopped giving once his appetite retuns to normal.

DIL

I also agreed that for my second kid when the time come (now 2 months)i will just give whatever even with a few teeth. really regret listerning to my mil for my first son to just give only porridge cos he only had 4 teeth at 12 months. So by the time he has his full set of teeth, he is pretty stubborn.

hi all,
i'm really looking for this forum
sad.gif
.. my gal 27 months now refuse milk. she only want bf.
before she can drink milk more than 750 ml per day, eat A LOT of adult food, and like simply everything we gave her (incl fruit and veggie)..

i'm tired twisting my brain every day what to give her to eat
sad.gif
kao_dizzy.gif

i've given her appeton almost a full bottle now (still i didnt see any great outcome) the PD even gave her some appetite increaser.. didnt see any great outcome either..

oh and she currently didnt eat any porridge... and actually from her history she dislike porr and mashy food..

help any mommy know appetite increases that really works and food that kids usually can't resist but healthy?

My girl is coming to 5-yo and simply refuse to eat rice and meat, she will spit out solid and rough textured food fed. But she has no problems eating snacks like choc biscuits & gummy bears! My MIL refuse to train her to eat rice as she vomits her food easily. How can I get her started at this age?
sad.gif

DIL,
some advice needed.

I always place my girl on high chair when I feed her. Give her ball or things to play with while I feed her.

But she will throw the things and I would attempt to pick it up and she would attempt to throw away.

So, in your case, means that I merely ignore her habit and if she doesn't want, let her eat on her own and walk away?

Let her eat on her own?

How to let her eat on her own?

Red Tulip,
Thanks for your advice.. thk wil head Guardian first thing tomrow morning to get Appeton!....

Tess,
My son has e same problem as u... he will chew meat (stimes rice/noodles) for an extremely long time before he decide to spit it out.
however, i am stil continuing to give him rice/noodles as i thk he shd be ready at this age, EVEN THO he likes to vomit out.
Does ur MIL stay together with u? Its hard to "defy" them esp when it comes to MIL... not mother, that will be easier. But hv to explain to her nicely lor, that she is a big girl alrdy, hv to start training on rice.

DIL,
ha i def like ur attitude of leaving e decision for ur kids to eat by themselves... as much as i am a bochap / lazy mum, cant help to nag whenever my son stops eating...
happy.gif

hi mummies
so glad to find this thread

need some advice.

my son is 15 months. he used to be a good eater. will eat almost anything i feed him so i have been letting him try a lot of stuff like porridge, rice, pasta, mee sua etc.

but recently, he has been rejecting a lot of food and he ends up spitting whatever he doesn't want. his appettite dramatically reduce also. and he suddenly prefer very soft food. i also need to distract him a lot in order to feed him

shd i
1. just feed porridge and cereal? i thought we shd let them eat harder food like pasta etc to make them chew?
2. if he continues to spit out, just stop feeding and feed him later when he is hungry?

DIL
how do u teach them to self feed? i wan to let my boy self feed but not sure how to do it.

Ame,
My MIL doesn't live with me, my girl goes to her house daily after kinder session. I talked to MIL very very nicely, but she is lazy to train her lor, cos no maid to help her clean up the vomits aft
sad.gif
I tried to encouraging my girl to eat too, she said she will eat rice when she goes P1! Sigh....

Hi SY, i think ur son might be cutting his molars. same thing happened to my son when he was 15mths. i think some teething gel helps a bit.

hi all,
i just like to update. my gal now no longer fussy eater anymore. she eat almost everything we cook now
happy.gif

be it porridge or rice with soup or noodle.
ever since she recover from serious throat and upper respiration tract infection which she hospitalise for 7days and she refuse food n milk for 5days, she starts to eat like other kids now.
her appetite suddenly "open" up and drink double amt of milk as well.
i am so glad now.....finally my dream has come true.

keep it up gals.....i believe 1 fine day all your kiddo will start eating like my gal.

dear mummies,

i am desperate.

my daughter is 15 months and her weight is 6.8kg.

she refuses food most of the times. what worked on day 1 will not work again on day 2. i have tried sooooo many things. (including buying a new highchair, going to different places to eat, let her feed herself etc etc etc.. and of course, slogging in the kitchen and preparing all those annabel karmel's recipes - which my husband and i ended up eating)

i am really getting desperate and this afternoon's lunch, i turned into an ogre, grabbed my daughter's head, forcefully opened her mouth and stuffed the spoon into her mouth. then she wailed and wailed and i just ignored her for a long time.

i knew i needed help when that happened.

sigh.

my daughter's doctor already recommended pediasure but i have not been able to get much of it into her mouth. the one trick which i was saving for a desperate ocassion - adding some milo powder- didn't work.

all she wants if to be breastfed from morning to night. and all through the night too. i want to wean her off but she refuses the bottle.

i really dunno what to do. sigh.

(and i soooo need her to eat because 6.8kg for a 15-month old is waaaaayy below the 3rd percentile.)

hi naddy,
oh no....i can understand u v v well ur feeling.
i have been thru exactly the same as u except that i did not direct latch on but give EBM and also FM since she 3wk old as all my friends advise me to give at least a feed of FM per day or else tendency of them rejecting FM is v high as they grow older. i dont latch on cos nipple too short.
my gal is now 16mo...before her hospitalisation, she is not taking solid food well. most of the time she is just taking cereal with jar food and of cos pediasure. and her wgt is stagnant. at 15mo she finally reach 9kgs but then after hospitalise, she only left abt 8.4kgs... now she gain back to abt 9.2kgs cos she been eating solid well after discharge from hospital.

suggestions:-
1) try pediasure chocolate flavour & all type of FM for her age 1 by 1 till she like 1.
2) try cereal.
3) try commercial jar food.
4) bottle feed her while she is half asleep.
5) be hard hearted. get another caregiver such as ur mum or hb to take care of her for a few days and u MIA totally. so as to wean her off ur breast. she will be hungry n drink the FM.

dun force ur gal to eat. it wont work. i tried forcing my gal to eat but ended up she got phobia of spoon and totally stop eating for a long time. so pls dun use force on her even u r v v frustrated n angry. it just wont work.
n no need to prepare super delicious food for ur gal...i can tell u, even u cook up a storm she also wont eat. i tried b4....in the end i got v angry and even hit my gal, but she still wont eat ah. when the time come, ur gal will start to eat....even the plainest porridge with light soy sauce only she will also eat one.

what u need to do now is to WEAN HER OFF BF...cos she is not taking solid well enough. bb of her age cant rely on BM alone. its not enough. after she start taking FM, then u can gradually introduce solid food. 1 thing at a time.

hi smiley,

ah! someone who understands!!

i have tried pediasure chocolate. she didn't like it either.
sad.gif

commercially-produced jarred baby food - tried all available in singapore - gerber, heinz and healthy times - she didn't like them.

bottle-feed her while she's asleep - my mom told me this worked wonders for my brother when she tried to wean him off. i tried this but my daughter's a VERY light sleeper and she'll wake up and cry. or, she'll shake her head violently and the milk will land all over her mattress.

cereal - she never liked her cereal. when i eat my cereals, she'll want some but only a bit.

my husband tried feeding her pediasure in a milk bottle when i went out with my friends one evening but she refused. (someone sugggested that i need to take a 3d2n holiday and leave my daughter behind with my husband)

when she was about 8 months, we bought a new highchair for her and she enjoyed her food for about 2 days. so, i alternated between the 2 highchairs i have. her doctor says my little diva always needs new props around her.

i've also tried self-feeding. the bowl of porridge ends up on her head after she's had about 2 mouthfuls.

anyway, today, i decided not to cook anything special for her. i just fed her bread and baby biscuits.

then, this afternoon, i went to the motherhood exhibition and saw all those karihome products. i bought the sweeties and hope that she can get all the nutrients she needs from the sweets! (that's just how desperate i am)

i also asked for samples of the milk powder and gave half a cup to her the moment we got back.

you know how i gave it to her at first?

in a syringe.

my mom held her down and i forced the syringe into her mouth and she had 15ml of it.

then, i had half a cup left and tried spoonfeeding her the milk. miraculously, she actually managed to finish almost the entire amount!! she couldnt finish all and i had a taste of the milk. yucks!! the aftertaste is awful!!

this girl really puzzles me lah.

but whatever she likes, her parents will willingly get it for her.

hi naddy,
oh ya. i heard that goat milk tablets can help in appetite. Ripple brand goat milk tablets i heard is v v gd. i bought it at watson but not all watson have it. too bad my gal dun like the ripple goat milk tablet. my friend's collic gal took the tablets and her appetite suddenly improve tremendously and keep asking for food. maybe u can try it out. karihome is another brand too...should be gd too.

oh ya...i see u also sort of force your gal drink or eat due to desperation which i can understand. but i tell u, its not going to work. she will get phobia. i guess ur gal is as stubborn as my gal... fight till the end.

ur friend is right, u should get a 3d2n holiday n leave ur gal entirely to ur hb to care. but u must be v hard hearted cos ur gal definitely wont eat or drink for abt 8hrs till she super hungry le and realise mummy isnt coming back soon.

as for pediasure, if u realise...the milk is v v thick if u make it according to the instruction. i make the milk according to the instruction and my gal dun really like it...can oni drink 5oz or even lesser. but when i dilute it, she drink 8oz at 1 go. i guess its easier to drink when the milk is not so thick. BF bb dun like thick milk, so for a start maybe u can dilute the milk.

jia you jia you.... btw, where u stay? i stay sembawang.

Naddy
My boy wz a fussy eater @ 1 stage. Fed him till I v frustrated. Scolded him, screamed @ him n felt lousy after dat. I brot him to cosult sin seh. Sin seh prescribed him med to tiao wei (adj his stomach). His appetite improves tremendously. But it's not juz 1 consultation. Went a few times.

hi smiley,
thanks so much for your responses. you dont know how alone i feel at times especially when other kids around me just eat and eat and eat. one of my nieces, who's the same age as my daughter, just sits down quietly in her highchair and open her mouth to accept food. that sight can be really depressing for me.

i live in woodlands.

anyway, now my daughter has just developed a cough and her appetite is worse. i think i can only hope that this sickness will open up her appetite like your daughter!!

forever friends,
my daughter has ALWAYS been a fussy eater. from the very beginning. admittedly, she had a tough beginning. she was premature and had low birth weight (even in my womb she wasn't eating!) and spent almost 2 months at the hospital. i had a difficult time introducing the breast after being used to bottle-feeding for 1.5months at the hospital. but i managed and now i cant even get her to take the bottle!!

hi naddy,
i can understand your anguish cos i have been thru. i used to feel really really upset too when i see other kids eating porridge and other food whereas my gal just on cereal n milk. others look at me in such a way that as if me n my mum r lazy n not cooking for her to eat. keep saying we no try feed her porridge. say till as if i m a bad mummy. the pressure is really really too much for me to take also...nearly go berserk. i told them my gal simply refuse to eat and there is no way to force her but many dun believe me cos they says no kid will be like that
sad.gif
these comments really make me v upset.

ya. hopefully ur gal after recovering from her cough will open up her appetite. but my gal that time really sick till v jialat...i.e. 4-5days no eat n drink & was on drip and thereafter her appetite then open up. its was v v heartache but she n me somehow survive thru that tough period. her wgt dropped abt 0.8kgs and this 0.8kgs i use at least 4mths to build up on leh and within days it was back to her wgt at 12mo. i was so sad to see her so thin that i break down crying. maybe she was really really hungry after starving for so many days that once she able to eat, she eat anything i offer her at hospital which i can oni give her plain porridge with some light soy sauce and vegetable sauce. she eat it like some delicacy....n since then onwards i wean her off cereal & jar food totally.

my gal also low birth weight when i give birth to her at wk38. she was oni 2.455kgs and all the while she dun drink much milk n its battle time trying to make her drink milk. i m so sick of feeding her milk that can go crazy. n i see other bb drink so fast n much make me so red wif envy.

what i can encourage u is that to perseverence on. 1 fine day, she will eat like other kids. but the wait can be long....but the day will come eventually. she just not yet discover the beauty of food.

Back