First time mum-to-be in their 30s

Hi Vni

how far along are you in this pregnancy?

I had it in my first tri but every time i eat i curb my morning sickness. When I dont eat and get really hungry, it feels like the end of the world. I know other ladies who cant eat and wld throw eveything back up.

Today I feel a little nauseous, I hope my morning sickness is not coming back!!

oops peanuts causes allergy!!! oops didn't know it ... haha the only thing my mum said ok eat more nuts cos the kid is brainier hahaha

anyways i'vn't been a goody mum haha cos i didn't hv all the dietary restrictions!!!

oh yes me also a SAHM at least for this yr cos too the maternity leave as well as requested to take time off my work - as the nature of my work isn't suitable at all for pregnant ladies....

but somehow i'm so lazy not doing anything except sleeping, watching tv & talking to my baby who is now hyperactive - giving me loads of gungfu kicks every other hour

mamapig:
government give 4 mths, AL 1 mth, unpaid leave 1 mth lor. i took care of bb alone also. it's tough but managed to survive cos bb is easy to handle. he has been a good boy. all the best to u!!!

loh:
medela is good for their pump.

azurebaby:
that's good. u shld eat, sleep n relax!

bunny, u also did the confinement yourself? i wanted my mum to come do it for me during the day - mainly to cook me the confinement food. she is ok, except that she said that she is afraid of handling the baby! argh!!! so now planning to take care of the bb myself from day 1 onwards and just rely on her to cook and maybe do a bit of housework. think it will work???

hi MTBs...

new here. not as young as most of you folks, 37 and having my first who is 8 weeks+ old now : )

was head over heels when know first tested positive coz am having medical issues. staying happy and positive now, for all I have.

see a lot of tips from u guys.. great! curious about skincare, heard we are not to use products with retinal A. any idea?

welcome jazhai! my colleague also delivered a healthy and smart bb last year when she was 36/37. heee..so u should have no problem. jia you!!!!

yeap, my gynae told me to avoid products with retinol / retinoric acid. some websites also ask us to avoid BHA ( a form of aborbic acid).

i went to check with SKII (since the label is entirely in japanese!!) - they are not using any of such products on most of their items except one (forgot name) which i dun use. so when in doubt, go to the beuty counter and ask if their products have such ingredients.

Hi Ladies!

Have any of you scout around for breast pumps, baby bottles, diapers etc etc? What to use, what is good etc? I read some reviews on bottles and pumps and I am getting all confused.

Thanks bunny for the tip on medela.

We should organise a 30s lunch or dinner or something? Anyone keen?

mamapig:
i managed to find a confinement lady last minute. my mom din want to take care of bb but ok with cooking, just like u. from month 2 onwards, i'm on my own. quite tough but can survive. just very tiring. esp when confinement lady left, a bit scared cos u're with bb alone! u'll get use to it. kekeke...

bunny, so the confinement lady stayed with you for a month day and night huh? i dun like to have strangers staying at my place, hence i have been resisiting on even getting a maid. any advise?

Hi jazkai,

I'm also very particular about skincare currently in my pregnancy. Heard that retinol and salicylic acid are harmful to the baby. I am quite prone to outbreaks and now having my 1st baby makes it worst. I just end up bearing up the painful pimples
sad.gif

Currently, I am using organics baby products for bathing and washing or even natural ingredients like olive oil for massaging my tummy.

Mamapig, what skincare products are you currently using?

Hi bunny and mamapig,

How's your diet when you are pregnant?
Any special cravings or appetite?

I was actually eating more meat during my 1st trimester and hates drinking water and eating veggies. In my 2nd trimester, my diet stabilizes and i eat normally and avoiding lots of sweet stuff. But I am actually craving for cold drinks which all my family members forbids. Nowadays, the weather is getting crazy and it certainly makes me craving for cold stuff.

Hi Chiam A, I am using SKII eye cream, bio-essence serum and pola moisturing cream. Ah.. also sun-bloack. Now using 100% pure mineral makeup from sephora too.

diet? right now, i try not to over-eat, as I have gained around 3kg in the 1st trimester (!!!). if i cook, i will make simple noodles with vege and ikan bilis, or rice with lots of vege or rice with baked beans and eggs. i dun really like meat nowdays... and sometimes i feel that some food that i used to like taste bland now. ha! No special cravings yet... except durians!! :p but hubby does not let me buy durians!
sad.gif
so i am looking forward to going to my mum's place cos she always have durians in the fridge
happy.gif
kekekek

Thanks mamapig and Chiam A...

had stopped using my previous skincare cause it has retinol.. just switched to Immortelle range from Loccitane, which the sales lady says it is safe to use during pregnancy... but think the face wash too dry for me... sigh. any recommendations?

think has to watch our diet as well huh... loved spicy food. but body not able to take it after food. simply too hot, then start to regret. hahaha.. u ladies have such experience?

still steal few sips of cold drinks now and then. fruit juice... but hubby ban me drink coke. : (

mamapig: it's adviseable to get a confinement lady. u need the rest, try me. moreover, u r a new parent and handling bb alone and so small will stress u out. u'll be very tired after delivery n u need the rest. in addition, u need to eat well and sleep well to recover. if u don like the idea of confinement lady staying over night, there r day confinement lady. they come n go and will not stay in the night. u can check it out. usually these r singaporeans.

chiam: diet? i din have any cravings and i ate as per normal my meal. nothing changes. i gain only 9-10kg during my pregnancy days
happy.gif
it's good to watch yr weight. u don want it to get too heavy! yr bb will be big.

mamapig: no no durians. u put on weight very fast. just a couple is fine but don eat as per yr normal.

i hear your concerns, bunny. my sis is also very against me doing this on my own. any good "day only confinement lady" to recommend?

ok. i limit myself to 4 seeds of durians a month, can? heehee
happy.gif

mamapig, congrats on your OSCAR test! Me taking next week...quite worried actually....

so are u able to know the gender of your bb?

gender? not yet...
happy.gif
manunited, dun worry - i was quite worried before my OSCAR too, but now that it is over, i think i worried myself for nothing. ha! we have to stay happy and worry-free
happy.gif

think exercise is very impt. am thinking of going pre-natal yoga or pre-natal aqua yoga... which is better?

be going for my OSCAR on 12/June... mamapig, hows the feeling like during test?

mamapig:
i came across one or two. no idea if they r good as mine is full time. i'll see if i can get u the names. u have to check them out.

jazkai:
i did pilates for my pregnancy.

Hello Everyone

Been very busy the whole week n so surprise & happen to see yr postings
happy.gif
In fact, we shld start collecting our emails, # of bb, EDD n update in a table. when more members r here, it's easier for us to arrange a gathering / updates or events :p

Welcome Jazkai
happy.gif

Loh,
i intend to take up pre-natal class n trying to find time to plan as also need to list down e items to check around (be it pass-downs or new ones to buy during sales especially) :p

Bunny,
wow..7mths..gd lah..u hv time to start planning on what to do
happy.gif

Chiam,
i hope that u r better now
happy.gif

Azure,
there r many other types of nuts n so better to be safe on peanuts (lesser intake).

Mamapig,
must take note of e type of ingredients for skincare...i tried e whitening masks of SK2 before n its effective. however, aint so reassured that their products r chemical-free..also, my colleague warns - we aint suit to get Lavender aroma..do remember!

oh ya, talking abt MS, this wk i also begin to notice changes..alittle back to before - sometimes can't really feel hunger & gets full easily...nauseous after makan
sad.gif

my coll said we'll experience changes every now & then..also seems that tummy n internal organs or whatever seems to hang down onto my stomach n kinda uncomfy at times
sad.gif

my gynae requested me to change my f/up this mth n k only get e OSCAR result on next fri instead
sad.gif

now v excited to be like some of u - experience e bb's movements & scanning viewing
happy.gif
been always talking to bb every now n then..haha

BB, my gynae said lavender aroma has been proven fine for Baby...but for lemon scent, she said she is not sure...your gynae told u that lavender scent not suitable? Lucky I asked hubby to remove the lavender scent in our bedroom a few weeks back....

mamapig, u also using SK2 products? me too....can we use the miracle water anot? Currently me used oni toner, signs treatment totality, signs eye cream and sunblock....are these products fine to use now?
BTW, do u gals use armpit roller huh? can we use huh? i always use but now i tried to use occassionally oni...dunno the ingredients safe to use anot....

manU,

it's my colleague who told me this n unsure if it came fm her gynae. normally i watch out n not to use any strong scents n products (chemicals / ingredients) now.

i'm using fancl products (n forgot to check if they r safe for preggies) & a few products that i got fm New Zealand (kiwi eye gel, placenta items). guess those significant products w strong chemicals or vit A have to be avoided.

why dun u just check w yr gynae to have a feel of his / her views?

Hi mummies,

I'm also a mommy in my early thirties and was wondering if any one of u would like to join me in getting a Pikkolo baby carrier from a US site.It may be too early for some if your baby has not arrived but it's never too early to prepare. As you know as we grow older it's very important to take care of our backs when carrying our babies, so this is one of the carriers that takes care of it though it may be abit pricey. U can read abt it more online or on the threads here.
PM me if you are keen to join

Thanks

hi ladies, sorry perhaps so late on the posting was bz doing nothing haha *playing facebook - new found hobby haha, just to add something on the cosmetics & mask ... i've stopped all SKII, Shesido Sekki, loccitance, Clinque, ++ well errhh i used to hv so much of these stuffs... and switch to this brand Avene for the face spray- well since baby can use, so do we rite??

cos somewhere i've read that any whitening agent contains chem not gd in large amts for our bb, and also all eye cream contains the rentinol or Vit A which fr non-food derivative is harmful too. also i've stop using nail polish as the remover apparently is also not gd ...
maybe i'm over the moon in this cosmetics thingy but .... well... its only for 9-10mths, decided to bear with it...

currently only using avene extremely gentle cleanser + facial spray bgt at guardian, oh yah, i stopped all the armpit roll-ons & sprays too.

well, living with more pimples haha, cos i've came across those pimple cream containing some chemical which is also not gd for pregnant ladies... it sounds like back to teenager days with terrible break-outs...

just some add-ins ...

oh ya for cosmetics wear-outs, i used facl lipstick - after cking all the ingredients in it... since lipsticks r storage boxes for lead haha. sometimes i wonder if its enuff just listenng to advices of the sales girls .... i've asked my gyn abt cosmetics, she just say no need to put is the best. haha - well as if that really helps.

these days been really so hot that i've given up on any dietary restrictions. as supported by my gyn, just be happy & eat whatever, in olden days, where people has less to choose, they still give birth to healthy babies!

just to share my thoughts on baby bottles, i went to order fr the internet - WEE GO bottles, cos apparently they r tested fr the teat, to the holder & it is glass - so that its free fr B-watver, http://www.lifefactory.com/products/weegobottle.html
i'm not sure if its available in sg cos i've asked a frend to buy it for me in canada over the internet after all the scandals on the baby bottles. atad pricy but well, for our kid. most of my friends are using NUK glass bottle - which i heard sometimes in sales - they come in a pack of 5 glass bottles & sterilizer - perhaps it might be gd to watch out for it!?!?!

manunited, if u interested, u can actually go down to the cosmtic counter to look at the list of ingredients in english and compare against this list:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_safe-skin-care-during-pregnancy_1490031.bc

i read in an article that if your makeup does not contain unsafe ingredients, it is always better to wear a bit of make up as it locks in moisture for your face. maybe if you afraid that the lipsticks have lead, use lip balm instead. our face gets really really dry during this pregnancy - so i make it a point to slap on moisturiser n put on 100% mineral foundation with lipbalm.
happy.gif

good morning ladies!!!

Hi V_ni, will love to catch up with you some time and with anyone who is not working at the moment.

We can also then probably work on organising dinner or lunch.

Rushing out for yoga now but would like to wish all the ladies have a CHEERY day!!

oh yah i got my Avene prdt fr Guardian pharmacy. i like the Thermal Water Spray lor to keep face moisturised... hehee... its also used on bb's butt to prevent heat rashes/ sensitive itchy skin... my frend swore by it with her baby girl esp when change diapers in the malls n such.
hope it helps...

i also eat the golden kiwis .... apparently never heard its a restricted item fr granny stories haha maybe its due to last time dun hv such haha, anyway i think its good to eat in moderation?? as usual i dun really bother with food restrictions after 7mth ++ its just got too boring & the restrictions gets on my nerves ha ha ... v moody

I have stopped using my whitening deodorant since pregnancy. Worried that it will be harmful so my skincare regime is super simple. Just cleanse, tone and moisturize.

Even my body lotion, I resort to using baby lotion...origin ones to minimize artificial ingredients damage to my fetus

Hi mamapig,

I also luv durians now! But I'm worried about weight gain so dun dare to eat much. Just visited my gynae last sat and she is not happy with my weight gain coz the baby is only 1.2kg now in my 7th months. She encourages me to eat more meat! i have put on 10 kg but I still look not so preggy to many. She expects my baby to weight only 2.8 kg maximum when due.

How much weight have you ladies put on during your pregnancy? I'm actually very paranoid with weight gain but guess we have not much choice. LOL

Hi azurebaby,
I absolutely agree that Avene spray works super well with itch. Once my ex-student is suffering from mostiquoes bit, they use it to spray to stop the itch during camp and it works. It can minimize redness

Hi l Loh,
good life man. You dun have to work. I'm just counting down the days to my maternity leave. hee hee. You are quite right-perhaps we should go out one day together. Then all the MTB united!

Hi manunited,
I eat the green kiwi instead of the golden kiwi daily. So far, I need the vit C to keep my healthy since so many pple are sick and badly coughing away in the mrt and at work. So won't really think it is a taboo to eat kiwi but I know watermelons and bananas are greatly disallowed in pregnancy.

hi Chiam, haha eat la, dun think too much!! i'm also v paraniod abt weight gain & again i gave up after cross the 15kg mark... i think i've gain 18kg ... and being a petite size previously, sometimes its quite upsetting... nevermind lah, self-comfort that i will go to some beauty salons or run like mad in gym once this stint is over.

yups stay healthy, esp in such terrible swine flu conditions!!

shiaks i had banana split ice-cream - oh no!!! i guess my baby will be pointing fingers at me when he is born. ha ha ha - & always giving me forceful kicks every other minute now !!

as again u can guess, durian is already part of what i eat....

i m only at 3 mtns.. and i gained 3 to 4 kg already.... also trying to not eat too much but tough, cos hubby keeps encouraging me to eat! haha!!!
happy.gif

I tot we cant eat too much vit A is it? And i surf net that kiwi is one of the fruits with high Vit A..thats why i worried...beside golden kiwi, i dunno wat other fruits to eat leh...apples? oranges cant eat too much too...need fibre to go toilet...

i lost 500g since my last checkup...and the problem is i dun hv much MS...so was worried why i still lost weight...last time i jogged everyday hoping to lose weight, after 2 weeks of daily jogging, i lost oni 200g...now no exercise and doing nothing, also lost weight....

Hello Ladies!!

Anyone still having crazy cravings?!

Geez I can't resist buying those durian pancakes from Taka basement everytime after my yoga! I also really enjoy Chee Cheong Fan, Chui Kway and You Char Kway!!! Sinful and really no nutrients at all!! Just had them for my lunch... geez I feel soooo bad!

Some days I will go crazy like that and some days I will be conscious having only whole non processed food! Oily fish, chicken soup and lean beef. Other times I will be juicing carrots, celery and blue berries!

I really hate myself when I pig out on those local delicacies!! Please tell me I am normal!!

Manunited
How about Guava? This is also one of my recent cravings! Mangoes? I still eat bananas although I was really told not to but when I try to research on bananas & pregnancy, I cant find any truth to those old wives tales. Hehe I know better be safe than sorry but right now can I just blame it on raging hormones? heheh

mamunited, r u too stressed out till u lost weight? i've read that vit A thru food is ok, so dun think there is much cause for alarm. just when its chemically derived - guess some of our receptors in the enyzme works differently fr proccessed vits?!?!?!

oh ya eat breakfast cereals, they got fibres!! coco crunch haha. i hv it once a while when i'm bored with bread.

ILoh, u r so cute!! me too CRAVINGS for GUAVA haha i duno y but since its vit C so i gave myself green light - the craving was during 1 & 2mth...
OK if there is any consolation - that's fr me ha ha ha cos i eat anything, thanks to my mum & also hubby. Macdonalds, Chee Cheong Fan, Chui Kway - urs seem so familiar to mine and i was munching alot of fries, can't explain the craving - then my mum came to tell me that i shld be carrying boy cos i'm eating potatoes - i laff at it, well, she was spot on.
on banana, old wives tales say those small one is OK but not big delmonte ones - erhh def nt those used in banana splits that i've indulge in.

seems like i'm the bad-mummy-to-be ard here oops.indeed v anxiously waiting for my boy to see how naughty he is.

mangoes r like durian abit heaty leh, take in moderation lor... mangoes seems to hv the same tale of bad skin for the baby due to heaty & allergy, .....but during the last term that i'm in now, given the OK light to have coconut & chin chow to counteract the heatiness gained previous mths, incase the baby is too heaty ....

i used to get heaty v easily but tons of those fries & durians stuffs never seem to make me heaty nor ill, i've asked ard, apparently its normal that the heatiness will be absorbed - does anyone also hear abt this?? i felt strange how come i'm not sick cos i use to fever after a bar or chocolate.
anyone has the same feeling?

have been visiting chinese physician, and she said bananas are ok. except those like Del Monte is only to eat after food. she also suggested i should have an apple a day, a glass of milk and 2 eggs. she said since ancient days, eggs can help in baby's brain...

crave for laksa and nasi lemak recently... but cun really take spicy food now as simply just feel body is burning... phew

u ladies feel the same?

me - i use to take extra super spicy but now ... back to level 1 spicy only - limited to the garlic chili sauce ... gd to know u r too Jazkai, so i can presume i'm normal haha

Azurebaby, I agree our cravings seems very similar. I am 23 weeks now. What about you? At one time I kept craving for fish fillets and french fries too!! But now I dont like it so much anymore. Up until now I still cant stand vegetables, didnt eat much of it before pregnancy and now it is worst. In my first tri, I feel nauseous even looking at veg! So the old saying is the baby will be a boy coz I only eat meat and no veg. We are keeping the baby gender a surprise, so I like seeing this theory proven haha.

Jazkai, at one time I was craving for laksa too! I still like nasi lemak ... yum you make me feel like having some now! I also like to fry egg plants with sambal chilli... shiok man! mmm I have not felt any burning yet though *touch wood*

My cravings keep changing, some cravings last for months now and others a few days or only that one time. Crazy hormones huh...

:p I love those del monte bananas... trying not to eat so much but at least now I will eat after food!!

azurebaby, i also dunno why i will lose weight..hopefully this coming visit will put on weight.... i hv been eating 3 main meals maybe not much appetite lo....somehow i like not much craving leh...still like to eat what i used to like such as chilli...hehehehe...for fish, not much appetite cos i used to eat often and i always order $4 one cos i used to like eat fishes more than meat (before pregnant)..and somehow now i got paranoid and the tot of fish does not increase my appetite during lunch but can still eat abit at home.....so i also dunno what i crave for...i tried to eat everything abit abit..

azurebaby, i also dunno why i will lose weight..hopefully this coming visit will put on weight.... i hv been eating 3 main meals maybe not much appetite lo....somehow i like not much craving leh...still like to eat what i used to like such as chilli...hehehehe...for fish, not much appetite cos i used to eat often and i always order $4 one cos i used to like eat fishes more than meat (before pregnant)..and somehow now i got paranoid and the tot of fish does not increase my appetite during lunch but can still eat abit at home.....so i also dunno what i crave for...i tried to eat everything abit abit..

Hi V_ni

I doing prenatal yoga at Pure Yoga. So far so good, had wanted to go to como at Forum but there are no shower facilities there. I forgot to check out True Yoga when I was signing up this. One more month left to my Pure Yoga membership, not sure if I should extend here or somewhere else. Which gym did you go?

How are you feeling in your first trimester?

Manunited
I hated fish in my first trimester. Anything remotely fishy, my nausea kicks in!!!

Hi azurebaby,

Thanks for your advice. But still I'm really paranoid when I put on weight. Ha ha. Once my baby sniffs the smell of bacon which I was preparing for my hubby, he was kicking non-stop but I have to stay away from processed meat coz they contain nitrates.

I also get heaty easily but now all the chocolates and biscuits and even fries do not have much effect on me too.

But the weather is driving me crazy. I have to almost sit with the air-con every day. I used to bath only in warm to hot warm. Now I can off the heater and just bath in cold water. Feels shiok as my baby will kick if he likes the cold feeling

Hi I Loh,

Our food cravings change as fast as our mood during pregnancy. During my 1st trimester, I cannot stand water and vegetables. I only want to eat chicken, eggs and potatoes. Also I suddenly loves breakfast cereals and potato chips as they are crunchy (read from an online article that if you like crunchy stuff, you may be having a boy...not sure if it is true). I dread the smell of celery and broocoli and will tear if I smell them. They used to be my fav.

Then when it is during my 2nd trimester, my diet changes back to normal. I eat back my favourite fish dishes and veggies. But still I dun take all veggies which is not like myself before pregnancy.

Guess our hormones and baby do control our appetite a lot. My baby takes after my hubby in terms of diet which is very fattening and carbo-driven as compared to mine which is mainly protein-driven.

Do you gals have the same experiences?

Back