Enrichment Classes for 2 year old

eileen28

Hi all,

My boy just turned 2 in March. I'm looking for an enrichment class to send him to, just for some me-time and for him to gain some exposure. Does anyone have any to suggest based on the following criteria?

Drop off, once a week, 1- 2 hours, in the West or Central area

I'm not too fussy about the genre of the class, just something not too 'academic', more fun, like speech and drama etc. Mandarin exposure would be great too.

Thanks for your suggestions!
happy.gif

Hi Mummies,
Happy New Year to all!

I saw this new preschool called Giving Tre3 when I went to Thomson Plaza last week. I think their webpage is www.givingtre3.com. It was next to Thomson Plaza along the main road. Its a new preschool cum enrichment centre opening in Jan 2013. I decided to go drop by unannounced cos just nice my boy turning 3 next year and I want to put him in Nursery. The lady was very nice and friendly and showed me around the place.

I must say, I loved that place alot!! It was not very big with only 3 classrooms, 1 class being dedicated as a computer lab for their reading enrichment programme and 2 other classrooms. But it was very cosy! Like a home feeling. Their boss is also very sweet and she shared that she's been in the early childhood industry for more than 12 years. I don't really like those big organisations cos most of them just care about the business and making money but I could feel her passion for children even through talking to her.

They also have an outdoor area, although not very big with water and sand play. It was really nicely done up!

They also had reading enrichment and Pri Sch Preparatory programmes. Their reading enrichment programme is from Australia and its partially an online lesson. I think the name is Reading Eggs. Seems very interesting cos I went to the reading eggs website just now and the lessons were very fun. My girl quite likes to play on the computer and I think this will attract her. Besides having the online lessons, the teachers will also conduct activities in the classroom. I think will be a good balance.

They also have this Pri Sch preparatory programme sounds quite good too cos besides English and Maths, they also have this social and emotional learning lessons, something like learning how to listen, problem solving skills, focusing and paying attention etc. Which I feel my girl will need help in....she's quite hyper and can't really focus on a task for long.

They having opening promo now. Got waiver off registration fees and discounts too. I've decided to sign my kids up cos they have sibling discounts too.

Dear mummies,

I am a mummy of a 3yr old and a 1.5 yr old. Like you, I wanted to sent my 2 yr old to as many trial lessons as possible so that I can find the suitable enrichment classes for him.

However, after attending several, I noticed that most of them does art and craft, singing, reading of books.

Have you ever wonder if you can do all these yourself? for me, I wanted to do it myself.

I am a full time working mother, but i make sure that I spend the part of weekends doing Art and Craft with my child or doing some kiddy yet simple experiments (playing sand, playing water in the tub, etc.) Such activities not only let you bond with your child, your child will also learn from you and learn thru play and thru geniue love.

If you can, google on on "homeschooling" ... you can improvise to suit our short weekends.
happy.gif

To be honest, there were times I did not get what i expected. Perhaps I spent the effort to plan some "work" and activity for my child but he ended up wanting to focus on just one of the things you prepared. I told myself, "its ok." Initially there was power struggle but I learn to let go after I talked to people and continued to research online.

Please dont blindly follow the trend or be pressured to send your child to classes. remember... he got the rest of 20 years to study. Y hurry?

Hope my message can enlighten many parents and we as mummies/daddies can contribute our time for the little ones.

I will upload the photos that I do with my kid.

Folks, install the Pinterest App in your phone and search for "Kids craft" and let your creative bugs out!

Kids need their childhood... not our high expectations.

Lets give them what they like to do now and not what we want.

PS: patience is the key. Sharing of knowledge is a joy.

All these activities are inspired from many homeschool mums I googled and of course, to my phonics teacher, Jann. I attended her "how to teach phonics" classes. From there I improvise.

<font size="+1">{1) Hungry Caterpillar</font>

After reading the book, I went thru the sound of the Letter "C".

8118150.jpg

The book is full of holes, so I let my son to lacing too.

<font size="+1">2) Field Trip - to the Underwater world</font>

8118151.jpg

I already pre-planned the activities. I printed the pictures of the ocean creatures that we might see and we did a simple cutting and pasting of the pictures of the creatures we saw and we stick this "poster" in his room.

<font size="+1">3) Letter "P"</font>
This is my 2nd time going thru the sound of P. Wanted to make it more interesting, we did a post box out of the A4 cover cardbox I collected from the office rubbish.
happy.gif

I took out an envelope and ask him to draw "daddy's" face and post it to daddy. :D

8118152.jpg

<font size="+1">4) Showcase of his artwork from home &amp; kindergarten</font>

8118153.jpg

<font size="+1">5) Rainy Day activity - Playing of Sand in his baby tub</font>

8118154.jpg

Did I teach thru this activity? Yes, I did, I got a boook on different types of vehicles. it was just a 15mins session with him to ask him to tell me which is which.
happy.gif

Verdict, all these are very simple but needsome effort on our side to plan, prepare. But your little one get lots of fun and joy out of it.

ENJOY~

<font size="+1">Hi mummies and daddies,

Hope my earlier posts inspire more to give your time and effort to our little ones. For me, early years should be memorable and fun, just like what we had last time where we played hop-scotch (learning maths), catch fish in long-kang (science), chase after cats and birds.)

Here are some wonderful websites from homeschooling mummies for your inspiration.  They offer very simple activities and crafts that we can do it at home, even for busy mummies. We just need to prepare… like how we prepare their meals.

1) http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/my-printables

2) http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/crafts/by-theme

3) http://ourcraftsnthings.com/2008/09/butterfly-suncatcher/

These homeschooling mummies will bring you to more interesting sites which will lead you further to what you can do at home (instead of just letting them play your iPad or watch TV).

Of course, I don’t delicate my entire weekend on these. I don’t sit there whole day doing. I give myself a break when I am sick.

Sometimes the craft doesn’t hit off instantly. Don’t lose your patience, put it away and try again.

You and your child will benefit from them. Ask your hubby to join in too!

Happy crafting, Happy playing and Happy bonding
</font>

hi honey_bunny,

i'm loving the sites you shared! i am a FTWM with a 2 yr old girl. she attends shichida so i flash flashcards with her daily and honestly the flashcards already taking a big part of my time! (Cos I handmade all the cards.. from sourcing pics, to printing, cutting and pasting).
I always work OT on weekends to do more cards for her but sad to say, I can’t involve her much in the “making flashcards process”.

I am so motivated by the websites n what u’ve done with ur son! So fun… and I cant wait to try out with my daughter 
I shall start with fingers painting and caterpillar…

<font size="+1">Great to know that you all like my sharing.
happy.gif

I know that my belief isnt acadamically correct and many disagrees. While I am doing this during the weekends, my colleagues and friends are busy zipping around their neighbourhood to send their children to enrichment classes. :p

It is hard to hold on to such belief but I know my children enjoy them. I am not an angel mummy, I have my expectations too but I am trying not to let that "temptation" rob their learning fun away.

I must thank my hubby who is very supportive of my belief.</font>

<font size="+1">I use quite a number of recycled materials to teach and play.

One of them is the red packets. My child collected lots of them during CNY so after collating, I let him do counting, sorting and learning the character "Snake" (by cutting out the snakes - learning cutting skills too
happy.gif
. Here it is… </font>

8215876.jpg

That's interesting! When my child is older, I'll do these activities with him. Now, I'm reading him books and he loves books. He requested to "read book" everyday. He can name pictures I teach him like "cells", "neurons", "skull" in his anatomy book although he's only 17 months old n he's very eager to learn. Unfortunately my stay at home holiday is gng to end soon. Have to go back to work to support 2 kids (one coming soon)... So I treasure everyday I have to play n learn with my toddler now.

Hi Lyra,

Your child really loves reading. I guess he has very good listening skill!
happy.gif
guess your child can mimic you will you sing his fave nursery songs. My elder wasn't that good at this when he's two. He could only murmur. I was worried but my hubby asked to to focus my un-necessary worry lease where... Finding things he likes to do. Haha

Actually I must say that flash card is effective because I uses that for introducing Chinese character to them but it has its limitation - linking the words to sentences.

I am sure your child will love the crafts eventually but remember dont be too ambitious.. Start with something suitable for their age.
happy.gif

hi honey_bunny,

do share more of any websites you know please!
i love notimeforflashcards.com and i followed the alphabets artwork ideas.. actually they aren't as time-consuming as i thought they would be and i managed to do 1 alphabet with her everyday =)

i aim to stick them all over the walls hahaha.
thanks for sharing again!

honey bunny, yup, when I sing his fav lullaby, he will repeat some of the last words after me. Very funny to hear him repeat coz his pronunciations sounds a bit strange at times. haha.

<font size="+1">Morning!

8351810.jpg

One of my kids latest craft work - AIRPLANE (but cannot fly - due to mummy's lousy measurement of the wings)

Got the idea from DLTK.com

This activity is simple for a 3.5 years old which can let him do some cutting (of cardboard), painting, drawing of windows. this is a supplementary work which I planned after his school field trip to the airport.</font>

Honey_Bunny, thumbs up.. Really got to learn lots from you... How old is yr child? Mine is around 2+ and attention span super short.. Hope your ideas help to create interest.. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Eileen

Check Ohana Learning Centre. Received an email from them sometime last month and curriculum seems unique. They have classes for 3x and daily, not too sure about once or twice a week.

hi ahwee,
I really salute to you!
As a FTWM, you still able to spare time to do hand craft with your boy!! I must really learn from you
happy.gif

Btw, would like to know how do manage your time?
What time do you knock off from your work?
You do all the preparation after your son fall asleep?
I wish to be like you too but most of the time when my girl fall asleep (around 11pm), i also no energy to plan all these
sad.gif

It will be great if you able to share your time management too
happy.gif

All these activities are inspired from many homeschool mums I googled and of course, to my phonics teacher, Jann. I attended her "how to teach phonics" classes. From there I improvise.

<font size="+1">{1) Hungry Caterpillar</font>

After reading the book, I went thru the sound of the Letter "C".

8118150.jpg

The book is full of holes, so I let my son to lacing too.

<font size="+1">2) Field Trip - to the Underwater world</font>

8118151.jpg

I already pre-planned the activities. I printed the pictures of the ocean creatures that we might see and we did a simple cutting and pasting of the pictures of the creatures we saw and we stick this "poster" in his room.

<font size="+1">3) Letter "P"</font>
This is my 2nd time going thru the sound of P. Wanted to make it more interesting, we did a post box out of the A4 cover cardbox I collected from the office rubbish.
happy.gif

I took out an envelope and ask him to draw "daddy's" face and post it to daddy. :D

8118152.jpg

<font size="+1">4) Showcase of his artwork from home &amp; kindergarten</font>

8118153.jpg

<font size="+1">5) Rainy Day activity - Playing of Sand in his baby tub</font>

8118154.jpg

Did I teach thru this activity? Yes, I did, I got a boook on different types of vehicles. it was just a 15mins session with him to ask him to tell me which is which.
happy.gif

Verdict, all these are very simple but needsome effort on our side to plan, prepare. But your little one get lots of fun and joy out of it.

ENJOY~
Hi, why can't I see the images that u had uploaded?

Back