Edelweiss Kindergarten Parent's Club

bodhi

Parents with children attending or going to Edelweiss Kindergarten at Sembawang Presbyterian Church are welcome to share their thoughts here.

Hi, anyone care to share about the school bus service? I am hesitating, shall i engage the bus service for my 2.5 years old son for my convenience.

Hi Bodhi

My boy will be starting his nursery class on 28 Jun. I am also hoping that he will enjoy his lessons at Edelweiss.

Nice to know that your boy is also starting on the same day.

Hi Bodhi

Depends on the child. Some children are very curious and will like to explore, so they don't mind going to a new environment and are very adaptable. Others will experience separation anxiety but I believe teachers who are experience will know how to distract them with toys or books and I don't think the child will cry for the whole lesson. Maybe now you can try talking to him more about the kindergarten. I showed my boy the Edelweiss website photo gallery and talk to him about the uniform, the playground they have, etc. Hopefully that will also prepare him.

Hi Bodhi,

My gal has been with Edelweiss P-N since Term 2, she was transferred from another CC nearby. So far she enjoys her class, loves her form teacher & even has a close friend whom she cant wait to see everyday. Although there might be some negative comments from some parents which I read from the other thread, I noticed that my gal has really learned alot since she is with Edelweiss, and this is the most important point. Even till now, at times she will tell me that her form teacher is very nice, but not her previous teacher from her ex cc. I'm glad I made the right choice by transferring her out from her ex cc.

Hi bodhi,

My girl is in Morning PN class. She enjoys school esp water play, playground time and gym class. Think she is learning a new song daily... She always humming something esp Chinese songs. She is not three yet, so I am pretty happy with her progress so far.

Hi ytanhn and maisy,

Thanks very much. I am glad to hear the positive feedback of this kindergarten. I was first concern about the negative reviews that i read from another thread but after reading that both your child are happy going to school i am assure now.

I have a question, for the first 2 days of school, do i need to prepare anything? I was told the 3rd day i am not allow to be in the kindergarten.

Hi,

I am new to this thread. last sat i just paid a registration and deposit to secure the place for pre-N morning session. Any of your staying at woodlands? did your engage a bus service? The bus services told me the fetching time for morning session is 7.10am. I am hesitating, it's too early for the little boy. Have to wake up by 6.30am?

Hi bodhi,

Don't remember need to prepare anything 1st 2 days.. still went in on the 3rd day for a short while but my girl was very clingy to me ...so had to let go n make my exit... I think you can choose to stay on but you might have to stay out of sight of your child.

Hi Nicole ,

Wah, the school bus is really early. I live in woodlands too but I send my girl to school myself... But she sleeps very late at night so she also having problems in getting up early for morning school... Really need to adjust their sleeping patterns before school starts. Otherwise, can consider afternoon class instead?

I can't take the afternoon session bcos my nanny is taking care 2kids for me. my 3years old son and 3mth old daughter. morning my nanny will be more busy. so will prefer my son go to morning session. Back frm school after lunch normally he will take a nap in the afternoon til 4pm. so with this arrangement, will be more easy for my nanny to taking care both kids.

my son also sleep very late at night i wonder it's sleep too much for the afternoon nap? did ur daughter take afternoon nap? til wat time? i think should adjust the nap time to solve the problem. Are your full time mother?

Nicole,

My girl always drag her nap as long as she can..usual very late in the afternoon (sometimes she can even do without esp during weekends) and she sleeps late at night because we and her older sister are still up. Bad habit of us, but we kind of give up trying to put her to bed early...

Yup, you need to adjust the nap hours and adjust the bedtime at night.

Its actually nice to put them in the morning class so that they get very tired after school and take their naps in the afternoon after lunch. Then your nanny can concentrate on your younger child. But might take some adjusting for your child... mine always still sleep on the way to school..yes, I am a SAHM.

Hi mummies,
My boy will also be starting Pre-nursery on 28 June (AM) and I am really worried whether he can adjust. All your threads have been really helpful.
Are any of your kids in Pre-nursery? How are the teachers?

Hi mummies,
There also seems so much talk about the past management issues from the forum. This seems to affect the older classes a lot?

Would this affect the new Pre-nursery classes starting in June?
Thanks for all your advices.

Hi Mummies,

I am back. I was not able to locate this thread previously. I thought it went missing.

maisymouse - Thanks for the info. My son is also very clingy. I think he will likely to be one of the crying "baby"! I will have to prepare to exit and leave him with the teacher and i hope the teachers there are trained and have some tricks up their sleeve to direct away the child's separation anxiety.

SK - I think let's put the past management issues behind us and look forward, so long our child is happy and enjoy going to the kindy i am not really bother about their administrative issues.

Nicole, i am still deciding whether to engage the bus service, i stay in Sembawang therefore the pick up time is between 730am to 745am. 7.10am to school is abit early, probably the first few to be picked up.

My son take his nap very late in the afternoon at around 5pm. Therefore, when come to night it is quite tough to put him to sleep. However, i have started a no tv policy in the evening recently and we try to make him cycle in the neighbourhood for 30 minute daily. I am now able to put him to bed by 1030pm. He is able to wake up at 730am now. Hopefully with the school, it will able to tire him and he can nap by early afternoon.

I have a question. Is 2 set of uniform enough? i will need to wash and iron it everyday?! I wonder if not dry, can the child wear home clothing?

Hi,

I'm interested to let my daughter(K1) join this school. But I like to check how's the teacher there? Do they have any comm book for communication with parents? Does the teacher inform us of their progress in school?

I'm interested in their PreN class for next year too.

Some of your kids started this term on 28jun, how's your kids progressing? Enjoying?

Hi Bodhi
I'm staying in Sembawang too. May I know how much you paid for the sch bus?

How much do you pay for the individual enrichments class?

So sorry so many questions.

I appreciate your the mummies replies.

Thanks alot

Karin

hi Karin,

My son started this term on 28jun. He enjoy schooling a lot. Got once of the day he hv a bit cough i didn't let him go school. when the bus went off he keep crying and said i want to go school. The teacher there i can't said fantastic or very impress me. But my son really enjoy and never want to miss it. And they did plan quite number of activites outside the school for this term. Which i feel quite good.

He keep telling me he like painting and he always mention 丁老师。 I see the communication notesbook he teacher should be Mrs Fong and 张老师。 I wonder who is 丁老师. Any mummy know abt this?

Hi Karin

My son is in the nursery and he started his class on 28 Jun. So far, for communication - the kindy do it via communication notebook or as a form of a newsletter. The kindy also has a variety of activities for the children - for their classroom lessons, outdoor play, water play, computer lessons, and also excursion.
The teachers are helpful especially helping the new children to settle down in the new environment. Hope these info. help.

Karin,

Sorry i was not following on this forum for a while.

(1) School Bus Fee is SGD80 per month x 12 months.
(2) I did not enrol my son for the enrichment class because you need to make special school bus arrangment that cost an additional SGD20 per Term.

just went to the orientation last sat, my girl starting in Jan 2011. forgot to ask abt the uniform, they have the dress and the PE attire, but we only got one set each. are they wearing both uniform in a day or do we alternate? nothing on that in printed info for parents..

Hi Lynn

For this year, PE attire is only on Friday. The children have to put on uniform from Mon-Thurs. If you only have 1 set of uniform, I think should be fine. Just have to wash immediately each day when she gets home.

Hi all!

Very excited as my DD finally got a place in Nursery next year! We were on waiting list for the longest time... :D

Can I check if all is well with the school? Any particular thing I need to take note of?

Lynn: I missed the orientation then..
sad.gif

But the admin lady told us we'll be getting 2 sets of school uniform + 1 set of PE attire... and must pay for all the readers etc now..

Pearl5: So they'll be doing exercise on Friday? Do you mean the mini playground behind?

Bodhi: I stay at the edge of yishun nearest to SSC... so I think my bus fare should be about the same as yours bah? Is there any increase next year? Cos I heard that the Bus Association got some new ruling etc..

Can I ask any mummy if you know what reader the N students will use? Rigby or???

Also, quite excited about the enrichment after hearing everything about the S&D! :p

Hahaha... mummy is now more excited than kid! It's her first school! :D

Hi mummies,
I have a question about their meals..
My son is starting the nursery PM session next year, and I'm told they 'll have a break at about 1pm... Do they serve proper lunch or is it just a snack. Coz my son usually has a late breakfast and lunch time is abt 1plus, impossible to feed him lunch before school

Hi Mummy,

For the morning session, they serve healthy snacks like sandwiches, cereal + milo or green bean soup cooked by school aunty. Their menu changes everyday too

Don't think is full lunch, so don't worry.

Hope this helps.

Hi Mummies,
My son is attending nursery PM class next year. Can anyone advise me if they will be served lunch during the 1pm break or is it just a snack. I worry I wont be able to feed him lunch so early before he goes to school.

Sorry pls ignore last post, though my pc got hung and resend...
Thanks SK, actually, I was hoping it would be a full lunch.

Hi mommies

Just to check.. does school start on 3 Jan or 4 Jan 2011 for Edelweiss?

The letter given during orientation states 3 Jan. Then, yesterday, I recalled a recent letter which stated a date for first day of school but I ignored it and threw away/ So, when I realised pri schools will start on 4 Jan, I started to wonder if there was a new date stated on the recent letter re enrichment...

Should hv kept n read clearly.

first day of sch is 4 Jan
happy.gif

can anyone share how the first day will be like? during orientation when i asked if parents can be with the child (my girl will be in PN), they say preferably not (i take it as they do not allow), we can stay outside the class or hang around sch. I asked abt crying and they said yes there will be crying in the first weeks. I'm very worried cos my girl is very slow to warm up and very wary of people she does not know..

Hi Jackie,

Will your son be taking transport to school?
There is stil vacancy for afternoon nursery class but I'm also contemplating as we are staying at marsiling and the transport will need to pick her up at 10plus in the morn so early..

I ask the principal, she say the snacks will be either porridge, marcooni soup or green bean soups.. I'm quite worried abt the lunch also asmy girl is a fussy eater and if she leaves home so early we cant feed her lunch either..
sad.gif

Precious 02:

My gal will be in N afternoon too!
happy.gif

For transport, I asked the lady and she said that afternoon they're picking up earlier cos they want to get the PM children to school before 11:45 am so that they can pick up the AM children (who are released at 11:45 am) after that. She did say that all else being equal, AM would not require the child to be picked up that early. But of course, it depends on where all the children are staying etc.

Lynn,

I believe we are allowed to accompany for first 2 days only (there was this circular sent out together with registration or something)

Hi Precious 02,
Sorry i hadnt check this board for a while.
He took transport last week, but he hates it, and i dun blame him coz the journey is soooo long even though we stay so near - in sembwang 5 mins by car, but pick up is 11.10am.

Anyway, even though the letter says first 2 days sit in, they didnt allow us to at all. I was quite disappointed at the way the first few days are managed actually. First I took leave expecting to sit in, but was not allowed. Which I thought is odd because for kids so young, it's helpful to have parents with them first 2 days to transition. Also, it would have helped the parents understand the routine mah. Then there was no announcements for parents as to what to do, so a few new parents were like me left standing outside scratching our heads, dunno to wait till later can go in or what. Anyway, my son still cries i really hope he settle soon.
How's eveyone's kids settling in?

Hi jackie wu,

My DD is attending PM Nursery too! :D

She finds it ok... but something odd: my gal has been down with flu so did not attend school these few days.... and me being blur and forgetful mummy, did not inform school for the 2nd and 3rd day (though I did call them for the 1st day).

So I was wondering why the school did not call to check why DD did not go to school.. So I called them and ask. Found out that they rely on the bus driver to see who's in school or not. So if bus driver says student never come, teacher took his word... I was like... what if something happen? We send child on bus, but no child got off bus, and bus driver is blur.. and teacher did not follow up, and assume child not in school. As parents, we'll only realise child is missing when bus comes back 3.5 hours later!!

Gosh.. I wonder if that's how all kindergartens are...

I thought the teacher will be the one assuring and checking if students are in school or not.. not a bus driver.

Hi mummies, my boy also down with fever then bad cough, kept him away from school for few days. Hope all our children feel better and clear from these virus soon. :)

Hi mummies, may I ask how you usually celebrate your child's birthday in school? What's the format of the celebrations like usually?

Hi mummies, I am new to this thread. My son is in K1-1 now. May I know your thoughts on Sembawang Primary or Canberra Primary? Heard Canberra needs PV.

Hi all,

Am thinking to enrol my son to this school can you give me some feedbacks...good or bad... So far do you think they prepare enough your kids for Primary school?

hi hi!
just found this thread
happy.gif

i have 1 girl and 1 boy
my girl is now at p1, wellington primary
she was with edelweiss for 3 yrs (nursery, k1 and k2)
now my boy is at k1 there (AM), started last year at nursery
my girl took school bus and now my boy too

Yup. I would like to know more about Edelweiss as well. I signed my girl up for PRe-N but I am having second thoughts on whether i should put her to be in the same childcare centre as my son. Everyday she goes to the childcare centre with me to bring my boy to school. My boy going P1 next year already. Today she told me she wants to go to the same childcare centre as my boy. I'm just thinking that maybe i will put her in half day childcare. But I'm indecisive... whether to put her in edelweiss for the 3 hours programme or to put her in an environment that I felt she's more familiar with - which is the child care centre since she goes with her brother there everyday to bring her brother to school.

Is edelweiss really good? If I withdraw now would they refund the books cost to me?

Btw, I understand that there will be 15 children in a class with 2 teachers and 1 assistant. However, I felt that the class seems alittle small for 15 children.. any parents have issues with the class size?

Hi mummies

I'm considering to transfer my girls to Edelweiss too.
R the teachers good? Hope to get some feedback before deciding.

Tks much!

may I know how long you ladies waited when your kids were placed on waiting list? I called in and my girl is put on waiting list, now is already nov 2013, do you think I have to wait for at least 6 months? will the school give you a response so that I can know if need to register my girl in another kinndy.

Hi there, my girl is in nursery class in this kindergarten, is a good school as they focus on character building too. to find out if they prepare for P1, call up to ask and see the curriculum.

Thanks springong. I'm thinking of registering my boy for nursery next year. Will most likely go down to take a look. Heard that the classrooms are air conditioned?

Back