Dyslexia

I also found some useful stuff on youtube. Check out the first weblink. The lady introducing the sounds is Rita. I used almost all of Rita's pronunciations, with some variations to them so that I follow more strictly to my neighbour's or rather Rigg's way of pronunciation. Some variations are due to the american and british way of pronunciation.

Rita's version also belongs to the same family of phonics that we are doing right now. Her diction is really clear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMAQLW4hIEk&feature=related

Another phonics file:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyMlSuvf9Tc&feature=related

I also found some spelling rules on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oEJALPN5Go&feature=related

FYI.

Hi Dorie,

Being an experienced parent with Dyslexia kids, appreciate if you could provide advice what I could do first to help my son.

He is currently 4 yrs old (Jan 05) and has been attending Kumon maths since he was 3 yrs old, technically he has been with Kumon for 1 yr & 7 months. I notice his progress is quite slow and had asked his teacher about the standard progress of average kids in Kumon. She rest assured me that my son is still very young and it is alright. Anyway, I decided to switch him out and change to Livecube. The teacher assessed him on the first lesson and conveyed her concern that my son is not familiar with writing descending numeral order and write mirror image numbers. She said this shows that either my son still has not grasped the full concept of numbers or if he has been taught properly and still display this kind of traits after 7 yrs old then there is possibility that my son could be dyslexic.

I am very disheartened by it and did a google on Dyslexia information. Reading from your posts earlier, I agree with your views on early intervention and hope to be able to reverse it as he is still very young.

I did some reflections and must say that the teacher is very spot on in her observations. I know that my son always write mirror image numbers and think that it is kind of passing phase (I still hope though). Understand in Dyslexia children, their brains are wired differently, so when I highlighted to him the differences, he just laughed and am not sure whether he gets it or not.

As for his phonics, he has no problem with single letter sounds, but I see that when it is into blending words, he seems has difficulty to identify the words phonetically and just try to remember how the words sound.

I did a test with him yesterday and find that he always mix up

b and d
18 and 81
Write c as ) curve the other way!

Trying to see what I could do to do an early intervention and how to further guide him.

Jazelle - replied to you email...
happy.gif

Hi Jazelle,

My son has the reversal problem. But now, after more than 2 months of phonics training using the multi-sensory approach, the problem has eased a lot. Now not much of reversal. In fact, I see so little of it now. I am teaching him everyday and maybe once in 7 days 1 character will be opposite. This is a marked contrast with the initial period when he does this many times a day, for every day I taught him.

Multi-sensory approach is used to "re-wire" the brain. You show him a card with the phoneme or letter. So he sees it. You say the phoneme. He hears it. He says it himself. Then he writes it down. He writes it several times, each time he says the phoneme as he writes. Seeing, hearing, saying and writing uses the multiple senses and helps the child learn more effective. My son could not blend the words initially, so we decided to teach him all the single letter phonemes from A to Z. After this, he was more ready and could start to blend. Initial blending was also flawed. After some corrections, he got it spot on. Now after 2.5 months of phonics (and we are doing more than half of the double letter phonemes now), he is able to progress from reading a single word to reading simple books.

Take heart. It will work out fine. Multi-sensory approach used for normal kids will kick start them into reading fast. It is also very helpful for dyslexics - the OG centre is also using this approach and charging a bomb for it.

Also, blend phonics - blending the words from left to right - trains the eye to see from left to right. My son sometimes sees from left to right and sometimes right to left - that was before we started on phonics. Now, he reads sentences from left to right without me pointing a finger to guide him. Now I don't even use a card to let him focus on that particular sentence he is reading. He just reads without finger or card.

Btw, my son will be 6 this month. He will be going to P1 next year. So you have more time than me. I just pulled him out of his kindergarten so that I have more time to prepare him in his english, chinese and maths. His chinese and maths are also not as good as his peers.

Hi Koh,

Thank you for your sharing. Where can I find more information on multi-sensory approach? Is there a book consolidating the methods you applied to your son? I would like to learn as well if it is effective so that I can apply to my son as well.

Hi Jazelle,

Multi-sensory approach is just this:

You show him a card with the phoneme or letter. So he sees it. You say the phoneme. He hears it. He says it himself. Then he writes it down. He writes it several times, each time he says the phoneme as he writes. Seeing, hearing, saying and writing uses the multiple senses and helps the child learn more effective.

Multi-sensory approach is just what I write above. What you need to know is that you need to keep on doing this consistently and everyday. We do this over the single letter phonemes A to Z. Almost 2 phonemes per day, each day we add 2 more. After writing 5 to 8 times per phoneme, we close the book and open our spelling book. That is when he spells out the phonemes through sounds. If he is not able to master maybe about 4 to 5 of them, we do revision and makes sure he gets more right before moving on to add more phonemes every day.

After this, then we blend the letters together.

Hi... actually, there is slightly more to the multi-sensory approach lah...

Some of the more common approaches/techniques we use are "skywriting" to help dyslexic children who are kinesthetic learners to "input" the sounds by using big arms movements (with their pointer finger extended) to "write" letters in the sky while repeating the sounds... this helps esp the children who may have some reluctance to form relatively smaller letters through writing using a pencil on paper as this requires a finer motor movement.

Another version of "skywriting" is also "tracing" which is done with the fingers on the table or any other textured surface you can find. This additional aspect of "touch" (one of the senses) also helps them to "input" the letter, it's shape and formation, as well as the sound, since it's combined with the repetition of the sounds at the same time.

Those are more for the "learning" or the "input" of letters, sounds, letter shapes and letter formation.

Another aspect of the multi-sensory approach would also to use "fingerspelling" which helps learners to keep track of the sounds that are found in a word (remembering to keep vowel pairs as ONE sound)... so for example, the word "boot" would be assigned /b/ on the left little finger (assuming child is right handed), /oo/ on the left ring finger, and /t/ on the right middle finger. The child then goes on to assign letters, using letter names, to those fingers that have the corresponding sound. A left-handed child would fingerspell with his right hand, starting from the thumb, since we want a left to right movement. This also helps to reinforce that some sounds are made up of more than one letter...

There are other methods... other approaches. So there is actually slightly more to the multi-sensory approach than what lkkoh has described. There is the use of dough to form words, for example, or use of sandpaper to provide a more enchanced sense of touch, or the manipulating of pipe cleaners and so forth. It's not just about seeing, hearing, saying and writing... it's about touching, moving as well...

Hope this helps.

Hi Jazelle

Toy R Us are selling big alphabets magnets at $9.95, use those. (in today's STRAIT TIMES)
They need to feel and touch how the letter looks like. (Dyslexia @ word blindness) It will be useful when you teach him blending. It will be like he is playing a game. Always makes him feel like he is playing or a game. Our kids remember best when they experience something. When they can't recall what we taught them they think of what they did. And they remember darling! For example /h/ sound. I will say "when mommy is very tired what is the sound mommy makes?" He will imitate my sighing sound. It's really cool!
As for blending, make him sound the letter one by one as he places them side by side. Always USE the same phrase and stick to it.
first sound, second sound, together is..., add third sound altogether is...
They have short term memory so every sound they give, blend, another sound they give, blend again. Don't wait till they sound everything and asked them to blend. Start with this first
happy.gif

Thanks dorie for sharing...now I learn more about multi-sensory approach. Btw, now my son can read simple phonics books. He has progressed a lot from reading words to books and is enjoying reading a lot.

I just bought the Usborne Phonics readers from BP sellers. These are really good books but multiple phonemes need to be learnt before the book can be successfully read by the child. My son reads and laughs at the funny parts in the story.

See attachment.
2889221.jpg

Title Include:
Ted's shed
Toad makes a road
Shark in the park
Big pig on a dig
Goose on the loose
Mouse moves house
Sam sheep can't sleep
Fat cat on a mat
Fox on a box
Hen's Pens
Ted in a red bed
Frog on a log

The OG program for dyslexic children is for the purpose of intervention.

You can get yourself trained as an OG teacher, as I have mentioned in an earlier post. This can be done either at OG centre or at DAS. If you do it at DAS, you can make use of the caregiver's fund, if you have a dyslexic child who has been diagnosed... you will have to submit the Psychologist Report if you want to make use of the fund.

You can just google "OG centre" and you should be able to find the link. You can read my previous posts to see my comments about the current courses (which is slightly different from the course I took).
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ok, just some things to say rgding this. I don't think its as simple as taking an og course in the das and expecting to remediate your chiild effectively. from feedback, the og course will give you some background and teaching techniques for your child, but its really not substantial enough. the teachers in most of these organisations such as das or i can read or whatever, are trained continuously in this. so unfortunately, i dont think its as simple as what dorieme said, sad but true.

geting private dyslexia tuition or going to the the das is a 1st priority. then as a way of support, u can come in with your og skills. this is my opinion, and I've had friends who have gone thru this so I speak with certainty. remember, the og cert you receive is not like a car licence. it can only take you so far. also remember, if the cert makes you an expert, then why wld the das offer it as a course to parents? wouldn't that affect their business?
so as i said, i'm sure the og course for parents is very good and vital to undergo. but do not depend on it fully. if u find that you are still experincing problems with your child, send him/her to the professionals.

take care and good luck.

Hi Regina..

Gee, I totally agree with you that it is really not as simple as all that. In fact, there are many times where I have tried to explain to the ladies here that perhaps that isn't the route for them. I myself have training in teaching, in the English Language in my degree as well as from a pedagogical point of view, with some psychology background and childhood devt background as well... so yes, I totally agree with Regina that it is not as simple as getting a cert from DAS or OG centre (which is now called the MSL centre or something like that now) and fully expecting that ANYBODY who takes the course can fully support their children in this area. Sometimes, I have tried to get this across to the point of exasperation.

In fact, I said in this post (http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/cgi-bin/forumboard/show.cgi?tpc=5&post=7271800#POST7271800) that "The training that I got was detailed. It's not easy, and not something that anyone can do"

I'm not sure about the courses offered by DAS because I did not undergo my training there. But I know for sure that the training at the OG centre is detailed, and if you take on all the various courses, it will equip you (assuming you have relevant background training already and are very comfortable teaching the english language) to teach your child sufficiently.

The one at the OG Centre that I attended is for equipping you to teach OG. It is not a course merely for parents wanting some background on OG. If the one offered by DAS is such, then it's my mistake to mention them in my sentence. I apologise for any misunderstanding.

If you complete the OG centre's 100hours (I think it's 100 hrs) practical (as well as the then 80 hours Associate Program that they offer), by submitting videos of your work to the Fellow (like a Professor), you can be added to the official list of OG remediators that they have... exactly what list this is I am not sure, because while he (the trainer) mentioned it, I wasn't really listening as I certainly do not have the time to do the 100 hours practicum. So yes, it is supposed to give you the qualifications of an OG tutor (that was the course I attended... this may have since changed, because the course they offer no longer has the hands on component, so I don't know if it is still the same - it's now a 60 hour course, and no longer has the 5 sessions of interaction with their real students).

But I definitely agree with Regina - do send your child to the professionally trained if you want to see progress... especially if you have tried at home and there is no progress seen. This is especially so if you do not have pedagogical background of any sort, and are learning alongside your child as you go along...

Thanks Regina, for that.
happy.gif

For more details on the course offered by the OG Centre, now known as the MSL Centre, the following on the course that I took is taken from their website...

Accredited Orton-Gillingham Associate Level Training Course

Acquire skills needed to teach children with learning difficulties through our intensive hands-on course, specially taught by Ron Yoshimoto - a Fellow of the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators (USA), Master Trainer who has conducted training in Hawaii, continental U.S, Canada and Singapore.

The OG Training Course consists of lectures, class/ lesson plan preparation and a distance-learning component. Participants will be given readings and other materials to study and review prior to the actual course dates. Topics covered will prepare participants to teach students from kindergarten to secondary level, reading, writing, spelling and comprehension. Successful completion of this 60-hour course meets the Academy’s partial requirement for the Associate Level certification.

This programme is designed for

•Educators in the mainstream and special education sector
•Professionals in the childrens’ health sector (i.e pediatricians, child psychologists, language therapists etc)
•Parents of children with learning difficulties
•Individuals seeking a career in educational therapy
What is taught in the Orton-Gillingham Training Course?

•Definition of dyslexia, and its effects on language learning
•Biological and neurological underpinnings of Dyslexia
•Basic Assessment
•Structure of English Language
•Sound-symbol relationships
•Syllable types and division
•Morphemes
•Spelling generalizations
•Spelling rules
•Handwriting

source: http://www.ortoncentre.com.sg/training.html#one

OK, it would seem the the courses run for parents in DAS are merely workshops... they do not train you to give OG remediation. Even the courses that they have that are named "Certificate in.." are for those seeking to understand their LD learners better.

So it's my mistake to lump them together with the OG centre, which offers a proper program that trains you to be OG tutors - given however, that you have the appropriate background.

If I have caused any confusion, I'm sorry.

No prob Dorie.
I guess the point i'm trying to make isn't so much whether the das or og centre is better. Like Dorie, I guess what we're trying to say is, be careful when it comes to remediation for your child. Do not always think that you are fully able to teach your child if you feel the slightest discomfort or confusion. the results cld be disastrous.
i can't really vouch if og centre is better than das or vice verce. from what i've heard they are both equally as good and they both offer proper programmes, so i think its ok to lump them together ;). i'm pretty sure that the modules stated by Dorie are also offered in das. however most ppl i know wld rather go to the das since they tell me that it costs less and the teachers are more in-line with the moe. but whatever your choice, og centre or das or private tuition, remember to provide proper guidance to ur child that only you as a parent are able to do, regardless of the tuition centre u choose..

good luck

Hmm....seemed like I'm the worst mum in this thread who don't send my kid to the professionals. But its not due to me thinking I am fully able to teach him. Its the best choice I had. And I don't think there are parents here who think they are fully able to teach their kids with disabilities.

Anyway my son passed for his CA2 English for the first time, getting 55.5%. No big deal to most of parents, but a big improvement to both myself and him.

Not sure the progress made by other kids under professionals? I meant school's result before and after intervention Any parents want to share? Love to hear so I can know if my son's progress is typical or too slow.

(Better make myself clear first - I am not comparing my son's results with other kids.Because other then my son, I only know a P5 boy who is dyslexic. But he never pass his English since P1. And was rejected by DAS as he was considered not severe enough.)

Hi Mums,

I happened to chance upon this forum as I was doing my website on Special Education for my school. I am a Special Needs Officer and have faced many of this same questions and queries from parents in my school pertaining to the various learning disabilities that children face nowadays. Please do let me know if I can help to clear your doubts.

Hi Supporter

May I know do different school access kids differently? When a child is diagnose to have dyslexia, what sort of intervention is provided by the school if any and are all schools alike?

Wow, lots of discussion.

Chance upon this from google.

Some info on Private Test which my child went through,
1. Consultation SGD300
2. 3 Tests each SGD300
3. Total SGD1200

Private intervention which my child is going through at MSL one to one,
1. Weekdays SGD130 / hr
2. Weekend SGD140 / hr

DAS one to one aint cheap too,
1. Membership fee
2. SGD101.65 / hr (local)
3. SGD203.30 / hr (foreigner)

Ha, this is the only time I see foreigner pay so much more local at GLC.

Hi
I am a student from Ngee Ann Polytechnic. I am doing a school project on the awareness level of the public about dyslexia so the organization can help the dyslexics.

I have to interview parents with dyslexic kids but it’s not easy to identify and also difficult since I am a foreign student. I would appreciate it if you could help me do a 5 mins phone interview. Don’t worry, the question is very general like: what do you know about dyslexia? How much are you willing to pay for course?

Please kindly help me by contacting 9485 9456 asap or email: [email protected], I will call you back. I hope to receive your help.

Many thanks and have a nice day,
Min

Hi
I am a student from Ngee Ann Polytechnic. I am doing a school project on the awareness level of the public about dyslexia so the organization can help the dyslexics.

I have to interview parents with dyslexic kids but it’s not easy to identify and also difficult since I am a foreign student. I would appreciate it if you could help me do a 5 mins phone interview. Don’t worry, the question is very general like: what do you know about dyslexia? How much are you willing to pay for course?

Please kindly help me by contacting 9485 9456 asap or email: [email protected], I will call you back. I hope to receive your help.

Many thanks and have a nice day,
Min

Hi Miss Yan,

There are professionals known as Educational Psychologist that would assess suspected cases similarly in primary schools.

The OG ( Orton Gillinghan ) approach is then used to support those children diagnose with Dyslexia in mainstream schools. Approaches may differ depending on the individual needs and abilities
of a child.

Hope I have answered your question. ;)

Supporter

Hi Dorie and Supporter,

I do not know OG Approach. Is this specifically used for learning English only?

Is there a similar approach for learning Chinese? How do such children learn Chinese?

Thanks.

I have basically searched the whole internet and Singapore, I cannot find anyone conducting intervention for Chinese.

The closest I find is an NTU Lecturer who is just doing research on Dyslexic for Chinese Language.

Anyone who knows, please let us know. I am interested too.

Ben Tan, you can conduct intervention for Chinese Language?

Hi, I know of a P3 girl diagnosed as dyslexic last year. She has been attending intervention classes at a private centre. They use phonics to help her learn english. The mother told me that she is very strong visually and so for her chinese characters are easier to learn than english.

What is the symptoms of dyslexia in Chinese Language? Chinese Language is not phonics based but rather pictorial based. Only the hanyu pinyin is romanised.

Hi Jonc,

My son did that - writing his name from right to left and they are exactly how the characters should be but reflected. If you turn the paper around and read from the back side, the characters are correct - do you know what i mean? Well, with the multi-sensory methods of teaching that I employed last year for his english (check my earlier posts in this thread), it went away totally, even for chinese. No more such problems. My son learnt to see the words from left to right and also to write in the same way. Before doing intervention, he writes from left to right, right to left, writes when there is a space, etc. I guess the multi-sensory approach help to "re-wire" his brain to enable him to read and write just like others.

How about the english? I see from your other posts that your child is undergoing intervention at MSL? MSL is really expensive but it works. I did the same type of intervention with my boy last year every day. Within 1.5 to 2 months, we started blending words and he could read. About 3 months into the program, he was already reading books. Now he is a good reader with very strong spelling skills. It is so easy to teach spelling to him compared with my older child who did not have any problems reading when he was younger - ironic eh? Anyway, I am also teaching my older child to read and spell with blend phonics - just the difficult ones.

And to quote my neighbour who trains teachers to teach phonics: "most children are not born dyslexic. They are dyslexic because of the way english language is being taught to them. There are very few true dyslexics." So take heart. If you do intervention more frequently, you will see results faster.

Currently, I am teaching a boy in my son's school on a volunteer basis just to enhance my experience of teaching phonics (since I am going freelance to teach phonics). He is in P2 this year, had undergone 1 year of LSP (learning support program) and still not able to read. I taught him for 2.5 weeks to-date, doing almost every day for just half an hour. Just before school breaks for the march holidays, he was able to read the simple CVC words given to him by his LSP teacher. It amazed his LSP teacher. Teaching methods are really important.

Hi,

has any one consider deferring your kids for P1? I am not sure as my son is somewhat Dyslexic and not able to spell or read and problem with Comprehension, not sure if i should send him in for P1 next yr? need to make a decision soon. if not where will he go?

Hi Supporter (SNO),

As i am considering deferring my son for P1 next yr, any advise to? should I do it as he is mild dyslexic and can't really read and spell at P1 level.

should I be concerned? Do you see that kids under your care improves and do well after intervention from school?

thanks,

Hi mumjas,

I have been volunteering to do dyslexic intervention at my son's school. We have seen children who are not able to read and are placed under LSP (Learning Support Programme). After our intervention, some improved to their actual level. A few started intervention at P2 and picked up with the right intervention. So there is still good chance that your child is able to pick up his reading and spelling under LSP. If you want results, you can engage external or private dyslexic teaching so your son can progress faster. Immediate intervention will be best for your child esp when he has not entered P1 yet.

My son picked up his English within 4 months of intervention but I helped him every day. He has progressed to be an avid reader. Of the subjects in school, English is his forte.

I had started a thread but I can't find it..haha!
happy.gif

Thought this may be useful info for current mums who have their suspicion, yet have not sent their kids for assessment etc.

FREE computerised dyslexia screening test available for P1-P6 students only
17-19Mar, at these respective venues and times, according to full flyer details.

http://www.das.org.sg/images/stories/ads/ed%20campaign%201.pdf

I am aware that this test does not confirm a diagnosis.
BUT it is Free
happy.gif

Hi there is a new centre Dyscovery Learning Cove at Bukit Timah SHopping Centre which provides remediation for children with learning difficulties like dyslexia and dyspraxia. The therapist is an ex moe teacher and ex DAS teacher. She uses Orton Gillingham and phonograpix and also verbal intelligence methods. She also teaches maths using mathematics toolkit. Definate improvement in 3 to 6 months. Very affordable fees.She has about 13 years experience.pls Call Mag 90025242 for more information.

Hi,

I am a Computer Engineering Student from the National University of Singapore. As a part of my final year thesis, I am developing an Android application for helping children with dyslexia. Before I develop this application, I want to survey the teachers and parents of dyslexic children to get their overview on the features they think would prove to be helpful in the android app, since they are the ones who teach the children and understand their needs the most.

I have created an online survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/H6DTB6W) for the same purpose. Is it possible for you to help me disseminate the link to the teachers and parents (if possible) in your centre. Their response would be really helpful in creating a product that helps dyslexic children.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best Regards,

Vidyun Sood
National University of Singapore

Hi
this is a late entry for those who still need the advice. Please check out www.specialkidsclinic.com.sg and the FB link through the home page for information on Dyslexia and Primary School deferrment. There is generally a no-school-retention policy in primary school so it is best to defer primary 1 if your child is not ready for school entry. An Assessment is suggested though before you make a decision. Hope this helps.

just want to share about my son experience.
He is also having dyslexia and he is attand to das class almost 1 year and he is major problem is having difficulty to concentrate so i give him supplement special for dyslexia and tested clinically complete with clinical paper.
Hhere is the website www.efamol.com.the product name is efalex and today i saw at guardian having promotion $55 for twin pack liquid 150ml you can try it and its really helpfull my son's concentration

Hi Lily

First of all, welcome to this forum
happy.gif

Appreciate if you could elaborate more on what it means that your son is "tested clinically complete with clinical paper" when you give him "special supplement for dyslexia" called efalex?

How old is your boy and at what age was his diagnosed with dyslexia?

How long then after taking this special supplement did you find an improvement in your son's concentration; is he still taking the supplement?

Thank you.

Hi,

I would like to share something I got to know about dyslexia.

Dyslexia, a learning disability that originates in the brain, can be compounded with a syndrome known as the Meares-Irlen Syndrome. Check out the website:
http://www.dyslexiasw.com/advice/all-about-dyslexia/meares-irlen-syndrome

The prescription tinted glasses enable the kid to see a lot clearer so he needs less effort to read. He does not need to "try so hard"! For my friend's kid, it is nothing "short of a miracle" - I quote.

If your kid is having intervention for his dyslexia at a centre, please ask the centre about the screening for Meares-Irlen syndrome if you have not done so. It may improve the concentration. It may relieve the dyslexic from the visual stress he gets from reading.

Hope this helps.

Just to share an email news event from DAS..

Talk on Chinese Remediation Programme DAS

Dear Parents,

If your child is currently diagnosed with dyslexia, we would like to invite you to our free talk on our new DAS Chinese Remediation Programme for primary-school students. To learn more on what this programme consists of, join our experts for a free talk.
Registrations can be made at www.chinesetalk.eventbrite.com

Rex House, #05-01 (Beside Boon Siew Building, Opp LTA and Old KK Hospital)
73 Bukit Timah Rd
Singapore, 229832
Singapore

Saturday, November 3, 2012 from 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM

For questions about the event, contact the event organizer at [email protected].

Regards

hi...how do u noe if your child has dylexia?

my child has been weak in maths, dun understand the questions though he can understand eng. i duno if this got to do with him being slow or is there any hidden reasons?

jikids, does your child spell wrongly? Does he / she often mistaken different alphabets? If he/she is, chances are he / she has certain level of dyslexia.

Dyslexia has nothing to do with understanding the question.

I should know, I am dyslexic.

because of misreading of words or word transposition it can cause the kid to not understand what he reads. This is very common is dyslexic children. That's why they fail quite badly for maths and compre. Sequencing is quite a problem as well which can also lead to the same problem.

Hi

My wife has been struggling with our girl for some time.
She is in Primary 2 this year and we can see she is struggling with English, Maths and Chinese.

We have tried:
- Sending her to PSLE maths tuition classes (the teacher there says she is de-motivated because some other children in the class say, "har this type of sum you also cannot do"
- Sending her to Berries to beef up her Chinese once a week
- Giving he a one-on-one tutor in English once a week

This, on top of my wife's nightly coaching to her to go through homework and school spelling, tests, etc.

This week, before her Primary 2 final exam (which is next week), she came home with a 27/100 score for Maths and a similar low score for other subjects.

She tells us she wants to try to do well like her other friends, but is very demoralized she cannot.

My girl has an older brother, he's doing ok, average in school. She has a younger brother who is learning quite ok too.

It is not like she is totally 'off' in school - she says she wants to learn, interacts ok with friends, but is very 'borderline or just going to fail' kind of grade in her schoolwork.

We are at our wits' end and I sense we are going to break down soon from this pressure.

My questions:

1. Anyone has any suggestions on tutors / programs that can help my girl? I suspect tutoring more and more won't help as I think her confidence level is very low. Should we send her for some behavioural assessment or learning ability test, etc.?

2. We have heard of "Thinkers Box" which does a cognitive assessment, then has a 10 month program to help improve concentration / comprehension, etc. Does any know if this program is any good and whether it is recommended for someone like my daughter?

3. I am also worried about learning problems, e.g. inability to comprehend, analyze and think through problems. In general, my girl is very baby-ish, playing with Mickey Mouse, watching Barbie programs, playing make believe, e.g. and a little slow to catch on to things like jokes, logic and "real world" topics. Does anyone have similar experience here and can share some advice?

4. Also, to make things worse, my girl just clams up when she encounters a difficult e.g. Maths question and when you ask her "do you understand" after explaining a concept, she just keeps quiet. If she does understand she will say "yes" only after quite a long time. It is very difficult / frustrating for us to get through to her. She is also selective, doesn't like to listen to strangers, etc.

5. She is also very afraid to try out new things, indicating her confidence is very low. When we ask her, do you want to try this play activity, e.g. she will say "no, I don't want', etc.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can render.

As I mentioned, as parents, we are at our wits' end and are going to break down soon from this pressure ...

Does this sound like a dyslexic issue, does anyone have contacts for getting her assessed / diagnosed? Thanks.

Hi Jazelle,

Multi-sensory approach is just this:

You show him a card with the phoneme or letter. So he sees it. You say the phoneme. He hears it. He says it himself. Then he writes it down. He writes it several times, each time he says the phoneme as he writes. Seeing, hearing, saying and writing uses the multiple senses and helps the child learn more effective.

Multi-sensory approach is just what I write above. What you need to know is that you need to keep on doing this consistently and everyday. We do this over the single letter phonemes A to Z. Almost 2 phonemes per day, each day we add 2 more. After writing 5 to 8 times per phoneme, we close the book and open our spelling book. That is when he spells out the phonemes through sounds. If he is not able to master maybe about 4 to 5 of them, we do revision and makes sure he gets more right before moving on to add more phonemes every day.

After this, then we blend the letters together.
Hi, Glad I found this thread. My boy who is 5 plus turning 6 can read simple books he read but have difficulty reading simple words like was, are, is she, her he need phonics help. How do I go about teaching him? DAS school quite expensive for a start. Any other suitable centres that will be suitable?

Hi hwtan,

I can totally understand how you feel. I was at my wits end too when my daughter did badly at school. She is demoralised, discouraged and withdrawn. Hard to tell whether your daughter is dyslexic. You may want to look at the list of symptoms in DAS website.

My daughter is dyslexic but her case is not very clear. She doesn't mix up letters but she cannot read and spell very well. She cannot understand comprehension passages well. She is weak in all subjects.

Her teachers have been highlighting her learning problems since kindy but we all thought she just needed more coaching. Because she doesn't display a lot of symptoms, we hesitated sending her for assessment. Each year passed with hardly any progress. No tuition or special learning programme help at all.

The school eventually advised that we get her assessed and that was how we got the diagnosis. Apparently, her learning disabilities are mitigated by her strengths and she has multiple disabilities that confused the situation.

There are many type of disabilies and it is not possible to test for every disability. Each assessment is very ex and it can be very taxing on the child. You can speak to the school teachers. There is a program for dyslexic kids in P3.
http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2013/03/more-support-for-students-with-special-needs.php

If your daughter's school has this program, her teachers can help to arrange the assessment with MOE.

Back