Dr Tan Kian Sing from TCM

HeatherG > When I did iui, no discomfort at all. U shld be ok bah. Only memorable thing was that my bladder almost burst there- discomfort was from the holding of bladder. After resting I wobbled to ladies... Dr Fong yang did for me.

Tanny,
The protocol really varies from hospital to hospital. For my case, NUH don't even ask me to hold my bladder, nor do I need to rest after IUI. I can straight away get out from the bed and leave the clinic after the IUI. My first IUI was perfectly comfortable, but this second experience was opposite.

hello girls, enjoy your weekend ahead. Im so grateful that it's Friday. Finally!!

Good luck to those waiting to O - hope you get positive opks this weekend and BD BD BD!

For those in 2ww just like me, *breathe in breathe out* hang in there and remember to take Dr Tan's post O medication and LRD faithfully.
happy.gif

HeatherG> u mean u don't need or not told to have a full bladder when doing iui? How abt the first time? I was asked to have a full bladder. When I reached dr Fong yang private clinic at paragon, the nurse felt that I did not drink enough and asked me to drink one whole water bottle again before she let me go in to hv the iui done. I heard that the full bladder wil push down the cervix so that the dr can put in the catheter in a straight line (nurse told me) then so easier to deposit. I'm thinking if yr sides are sore from the catheter trying to go in when ur not on full bladder?

Here is what I got fr a website.
Go with a moderately full bladder; do not empty your bladder before the procedure. This helps straighten your cervical-uterine canal and makes insemination easier in most cases.
Usually the IUI takes about five minutes and you may resume normal activity right after. Sometimes the procedure is more difficult depending on the anatomy of the cervix and may take longer to perform causing increased cramping.

I pop by for the talk! Was good really. They showed us the training lab of the embroylogist and even demo the ICSI procedure by using mouse sperm n egg! U girls attended? V insightful. I saw many sperms squirming around- hahaaha

Tanny,

You went for the talk? Yes, I am with Prof. Wong. I did my first IUI under Dr. Stephen Chew too. hehe... I am not in town, therefore nv went for the talk. what a missed! What other informative points discussed in the talk? Share with us here.
happy.gif

Gals,
How are you all? It's Monday again... 4 days to Friday!

actually it was mainly on IVF and how it works and some of the technical stuff, also the types of treatment available for different combinations of male and female factors. dr stephen chew was v funny. i think he makes a good lecturer.. he says iui is like sperms taking sia first class! and the audience laughed. quite funny. is dr stephen chew this funny during consultation too?

i like the tour the best - we get to see the lab and how it works in there and how the embroyologist works in the lab. btw, i din even know mouse got sperms.. during the demo, of course cant use human sperms, so they use mouse eggs and sperms. we crowd around the embrologist to see her perfom her task of ICSI.

morning girls! tanny, hehe, your post about cannot use human sperms during the demo tickles me. haha. I can imagine alot of you crowding around the embrologist.. heheh.

Hmm.. seems like Dr Stephen Chew is a more approachable doctor? I was surfing the net on IVF yest and finally got to know the difference between IVF and ICSI.

Tanny,

It sound interesting! Too bad I was not there for the tour. Actually I am interested to know more on IVF too.
I only seem Dr. Chew once on my first IUI. He was friendly and patient doctor as compared to Prof. Wong. Haha... Ok lar, I got use to Prof. Wong's style, and quite comfortable with him now.
happy.gif

PhyLee,

What's the diff? I don't have time to do the search yet. Hehe...
Today is DPO7, but seems like my normal PMS starts to show up...
How about you? Which day are you in now?

<font color="aa00aa">The lab tour sounds really interesting.

Didn't google but am I right to say that:

IUI - Insert sperm into uterus
ICSI - Insert sperm into egg directly?</font>

heatherwhite, i dunno what dpo I am in now lei cuz this time round, I didn't manage to get a positive opk and didnt take bbt too. Im waiting and waiting..

bbloh, you are right!
ICSI - inserting sperm directly into egg and leave it to 'grow' in the lab before checking if it's really fertilized the next day.

IVF - mixing sperms and eggs together and let the sperms/eggs choose themselves naturally. They call it natural selection. They will also leave it in the lab for one day before checking if any is fertilized.

Only difference is that there is natural selection in IVF while ICSI is what the embrologist chooses for you?

Correct me if Im wrong, tanny!

HealherWhite, the tests I need to do are:
1) Blood tests - Amenorhoea and Rubella IgG
2) Ultrasound Scan
3) HSG

Dr Chew is jovial chap, I like him. I was telling my Hb, I don't mind to hop gynae to see him if I really preggy. He "secretly" told my HB that we are lucky that we already have 1 kid, many tried for many years still not there yet. His comments about me is I know too many things, therefore, I got confused all over which I myself have admitted to him that I do not know so many things when I tried for no.1, just depends on online calendar ONLY.

My overall experience at NUH was good, far better than the other department that I've went for treatment 2 years ago.

AnnissaKoh,

Hehe... you change back your nick?

Ya, I did the blood test and detail ultrasound scan in FCC(Fetal care center). So will you go ahead with what Dr. Chew suggested to you?

And Dr. Chew is right, sometime is good that we don't know anything on TTCing. Most of my friends who have kids also don't know how to calculate CD and ovulation! I hope I can be like them, happy goes lucky...
happy.gif

Hope you have tons of baby luck under Dr. Chew's care.
happy.gif

PhyLee,

Somehow I have a feeling this month gone case for me again. I think I will take a rest on my following month from my last IUI cos I will be busy with work early next month.
sad.gif

Heatherwhite, don't give up hope.
happy.gif
Is it because of your PMS symptoms that you feel it's gone case?

I agree that it's good to take a break if you are busy with work next month as it's not good to rush to and fro the hospital in between work.

Or what you can do is continue to take clomid next cycle (if Prof Wong has given you) for a better ovulation and then BD the natural way. Take it as a normal break too but at least you stand a higher chance with a stronger ovulation.

I feel that as what AnnissaKoh says, we know too much so it's hard to just put everything behind and be totally cool about TTC. haha.. We will still subconciously look out for EWCM, positive opks etc!

<font color="aa00aa">I knew about BBT before I conceived last time but never bother to track it. I don't seem to track EWCM too. However, life was less hectic and I guess it added to the success of conception.</font>

PhyLee,
Yalor, my usual PMS start to report liao.

Yeah... it is no good to rush to and fro for the appointments and stressing myself. I told hb already, I wanted to rest for a month if this cycle fail. Wanna tell him in advance and indirectly prepare himself from any disappointment again. Hehe...

Yes, Prof. Wong has given me the clomid for my next cycle. But I think I will not take it too. Wanted to give myself a total nice break from all this TTCing thingy.
happy.gif

bbloh is right.

heatherG, Phyless, bbloh > i also din know the difference betw IVF and ICSI until i went for this talk and saw the demo.

yes we all are like students crowding around the embroyologist! they are real embroyologist by the way!

for normal ivf, if the swimmers &amp; count is good, embroyologist will drop a drop of sperm onto the egg and wait for the fittest one to attack into the egg. that day i saw many spermies surrounding the egg "attacking" it. prof wong says any questions can ask the embroyologist ...and i asked how long it takes for the sperm to break into the egg. she tells me depends, some takes couple of hrs others take longer, but they dont watch it. they put it into a ...welll i dunno whats its called - its looks like a fridge/ rectangular (prof says its not their locker! hahaahaa) and in it, the environment is dark/ black with parameters like in a womb, so thats where they keep the eggs which is hopefully in process of fertilisation by the sperm.

by the way, once a sperm goes in, the rest cant enter already. i also dunno why but this was said during the talk.

then ICSI is used when the swimmers are no good, or only a few sperms, then embroyologist will choose the best sperm and inject into the egg - there was a demo to see - just like what u can find on youtube. the hole is v tiny/ fine and no fluid from the egg even came out from the hole.

by the way, they all do this in a dark low lit lab. prof says eggs dont like bright lights.. so the work environment in the lab is very low lit, like those candle light dinner place.

i also learnt that assisted hatching is when the surface of the egg is too "hard" for some reason (mayb when too old), so the sperm can't attack in, so dr will use something ( i think its "laser" or "some chemical") to erode the surface, so that the sperm can attack there and go in there..

wow so long post.

sigh... my co getting from bad to worse. did i tell u my dept head resigned, and another colleague also tendered recently. my dept is down sizing and i now hv to do 2 sets of work ( 2 persons work u know!) dunno how to survive thru this..i can only do whats humanely possible.

i must tahan on, for the sake of my hospitalisation leave in aug/sep..... 1.5 mth to go............i supposed to be more relaxed at this time when ttc-ing.

O, do u take Conceive Well by Blackmores, heard its good to take - now got promo at Watsons or guardian.

Tanny,

Thanks for your informative post, it really sounds interesting. I didn't know the eggs don't like light. haha... So cute. But naturally, the fertilization should take place in complete darkness lar. hehe...Ya, I guess the 'locker' call incubator? hehe...

As for job, haiz... try to do your best lar. Most importantly don't stress up yourself too much. Nowadays, I don't put my job as priority... Sometime I feel a bit lost, like passing time like that. Mind keep thinking of my TTCing planning but somehow it don't happened as planned. Hmn... Let's try to balance our life lar. Hope we be happy everyday!

Tanny,

BTW, there is another thread also talking on the benefit of taking Conceive Well by Blackmores. Maybe I should really try it. But I also hear it tastes horrible especially the red pill. I am not a pill person, I can't take the smell of Dr.Tan's TCM pills sometime. Don't know if I am able to swallow it. Okok... I will give it a try lar. Will get it tmr after work, hope the promotion is still on.
happy.gif

Oh btw I hate the smell. But some sisters find it ok.. I don't like smelly pills like multi vit. They say the smell is due to some types of minerals in these multi-v.

Tanny,

I bought the conceive well last nite! There is promotion in guardian only, selling at $36 per box.
The pills are super big! And the smell really not present lor. But managed to swallow it just now, hehe...

heatherwhite, tanny, I have been taking Blackmores Conceive Well pills since last Sept. I agree that it's super yucky and horrible to swallow! But I think I mentioned before that after consuming it, I get more EWCM which I didn't have (or not visible) in the past. After taking it, I can see EWCM 'hanging' down during my fertile period after I pee lor. hehe.

Remember to take the pills right after food. I didn't for a few occasions and felt really terrible and felt like puking.

tanny, you are taking hospitalisation leave for IVF in aug/sep?

Hi gals,
It's Monday again... Hope everyone had good rest over the weekends.

PhyLee,
Today my CD1, AF just reported this morning... Sian... First thing in the Monday morning. I told HB about it, he is rather disappointed too.

PhyLee,

No plan... cos this month will be packed with work schedule. Haiz... tired too.
How about you? Any good news to share for my super blue Monday?

my dear heatherwhite, i really hope there's good news to share! I will update you again this Sat yeah?

now that your CD1 is here, rem to pop those blackmores conceive well pills.

PhyLee,

Waow... you got do home pregnancy test? How's your BBT? Must be extra careful these few days ok? Feeling so excited for you! How I hope my AF went MIA too. sob...

PhyLee,

Check with you on the Blackmore Conceive Well. We need to take it continuously throughout the whole cycle? You take both pills together or morning one and night one? Hehe...

Phylee> yes. Hospital leave in early Sep. My AF also reported yesterday. So sianz. On the other hand happier cos looking forward to August in about 30 days will start on my ivf injections. This month will be my last natural cycle..intend to use preseed too. just bought a tube last month.

Good that u girls are taking conceive well. Sianzzz not sure if I wan to buy again. Really a chore to eat it... The last time I took it I finished it in 4 months as I kiv it in my drawer - due to my dislike for the smell. Don't b like me hor..

How about EPO evening primose oil? The other time I bought an ultra big bottle and nvr touch more than 1/4 of it..

My clearblue Hpt kit even expired - cos AF keep reporting until no chance to use it. So sianz- I decided not to buy anymore.. Waste $....

Now using the monitor and left some O strips only..

Tanny,
Oh, we are cycle buddy this month. Me too feeling super low in mood yesterday, guess is time for me to look into IVF le. But HB not supportive to try on it leh... haiz... Keep thinking what is the underlying problems, sometime feel like giving up.

Yup, bought conceive well! I bring it and place inside my office drawer. Will take the pills after lunch. Haha... Will try to remind myself to take it everyday.
happy.gif
I have tons of supplements at home too! EPO, multi-vits and so on. Always eat until half way then stop.
Cannot cannot! I think I must set myself a target to finish this box of conceive well pill within a month! Maybe I should go buy more while promotion is still on! Hehe...
Talking abt HPT kit, haha... I also have a box untouch! I not sure if it is expired or not. But just no chance to use it at all.

heatherwhite, yeah we have to take conceive well pills continuously throughout the cycle until we BFP. After that gotta switch to prenatal vits. I usually take both together straight after dinner. Suffer just one time each day cuz the pills are really horrible. haha.

heatherwhite, i think there's another option before IVF for you? You can try SO-IUI first? More good quality eggs = more chances? I feel you might also respond well under jabs and if you are really very stimulated during your SO-IUI process, you can always proceed to IVF from there? My previous gynae told me that.

tanny99, jia you! Use the preseed as much as you can. I use it everytime I BD. But be careful when you use the applicator, the edges are very rough.

anyone seeing Dr Tan this month? He's going away right?

girls, let's jiayou together. We will officially graduate from here soon. ALL OF US
happy.gif

Phylee>yes agree the edges of preseed v rough. I learnt it thru spotting the first time. now I put some on the sides too.

HeatherG > yeah cycle buddies. Last month was a short cycle for me only 28 days after taking fertility pills but no success. Else usually like 34 or more days.

Actually I only tried so-iui once and decided not to waste any more time cos I'm so old now. So just try ivf faster and told my hb that my hk idol/ some actress also doing ivf. Hahaa. I read that Tony Leung carina Lau preggy. So sad he was my idol fr sec school. Told my hb we still not yet.... Actually the one suffering most is the wife going thru hormonal changes and injections etc. So if the wife go thru it, I think the husband should go along n be supportive (afterall they just produce a specimen and take some vit pills thats all) luckily my hb has no objection. Mayb cos we both old! Initially I want to have 2 kids by 35. Now no chance liao. I find that I got nothing to look forward to in my life; work sucks; nothing is comparable to having children a wholesome family. I feel i need to go ivf to get some result or some closure at least tell myself that we have tried.

Actually dr also feel that we are able to gt preggy naturally but chances may be low due to my pcos and my hb not so good Sa result. I chose ivf cos I feel time is not on my side now. If I'm much younger I can go for other options instead of ivf straight. Hope this helps- just sharing...

tanny99, hugz. i can understand the emotional pain. feel like crying when i read your post. i agree on the closure part. i hope GOD is reading our posts...

back to gossip, hehe. carina lau preg??? wow.. that's news.. i thought she mentioned that she's not trying. I think kelly chan also did IVF in the past. Andy Lau's wife also trying isnt it?

PhYLee > Thanks! My mom ask me to adopt if cant hv children else when old no children how? Go old folks home? I told her I try ivf first. Adoption last option. I got one auntie who adopted a girl then later got preg naturally. My colleague's 2 brothers - one got twins via ivf and another a boy via ivf. 3 of them pri 1 now! I hope i strike this time. Else if try again also dunno how to tell my boss. Besides no more leave left... Unless they give me unpaid which is not so possible since mine is not medical condition.

Back to gossips. carina lau - scally only rumors! Yes kelly Chen also preg via ivf but lost them at 5-6 months. Then lee zi the pretty actress also had a child via ivf. She married later than me.

Let's jiayou!! HeatherG u too!

Phylee > bbt should stay v high like 37+ all the way if preggy。monitor ok? Good luck!

I'm going to stock up brands chicken essence. Drink during my aug/ Sep.

Promotion is $114 for 48 bottles brands chicken essence (normal flavour). Its 4 box of the 12 bottle pack. Comes with free delivery. Just call the brands hotline to join as a member foc in order to enjoy this Promo till end of this month.
month.

tanny99, i dare not take bbt. haha.. will wait till this sat and hopefully there's good news to share!

i simply love the taste of chicken essence. take it during ur 2ww yeah? alternate with LRD which is what I did last cycle.

Girls, ok I'll just say it. You may have guessed, I got a BFP! Initially wanted to wait till this sat to make sure that I see something when I go to my Gynae but I hack care le..
happy.gif

Rem I once made a graduation list? I really really hope all of us will graduate from the list and that includes - Heatherwhite, tanny99, PGhua, purplelace, oceangal, meinme, bbloh and many other silent readers.

Everything is not confirmed yet and it's also unsettling when my symptoms come and go. Im feeling no different from usual so it still seems unreal to me. I'm still here with you so pls bear with me!

Congratulations! Phylee. I guessed it and wanted to pm you but it says you don't accept pm. I'm so happy for you. You had been great in encouraging me :) enjoy your pregnancy and please share your baby dust with us.

Iam feeling upset this cycle and hence want to get away from everything to do with tcc including this thread.

Sorry gals I have been rude and did not reply. Thanks for sharing info on the temple.

good luck to all!

Phylee, congratulations. So happy for you. Grab your baby dust. Take extra care and enjoy your pregnancy.

Tks. Yup, hope all of us will graduate from this lists soon.

Your last cycle did your went for accupunture and take the ATY from Dr. Tan???

HeatherWhite, understands how you feel. Any plans for this cycle, are you still on clomid???

PhyLee,

A big congratulation to you! Hehe... Must be feeling excited ya... I am so happy for you, finally can graduate from here and promote to a happier thread. I will definitely miss u as my cycle buddy.
Nevertheless, I still hope you can drop as often before to keep us update on your baby progress ok?
Got inform Dr. Tan about your good news already? Ohya, can recap what you do to hit the jackpot this cycle? How many follicles you have? And when you BD? Hehe... must get some tips from you.
happy.gif

This month will go natural, no pills, no doctors or scanning for me. Will check with Prof. Wong if he allow me to try SO-IUI on my next visit if my 3rd IUI still fail before going to IVF! Really feeling tired to keep thinking on what to do next. Hope miracle can hit me soon. Grabbing your baby dust too... Hee...Hope all of us will graduate like you soon.

Oceangal,
Hope you feeling better now. I was also feeling quite down for my second IUI failure. But lucky HB is very supportive and caring... I am telling myself to keep going, and no point looking back on the past failures. Sometime it helps by sharing out your moody mood in forum here. I received a lots of supports and encouragements from the others to keep me going. So stay happy ya... Remember to go bai bai... hehe... I will do that once my AF is cleared.
happy.gif

Tanny,
What is the function of chicken essence?
I remember I asked my HB before about the adoption. He strongly disagreed on this idea. But maybe will try to ask him again if we failed IVF too. Haiz... just don't dare to think too much now.

PGhua,
How are you there? I am not taking any clomid this cycle, HB suggest to take a rest. Is ok, will work hard again in 4 weeks time! You think Prof. Wong will allow me to try SO-IUI? But sometime I do suspect is my follicle quality problem.

Annisakoh,
How are you? Keep us updates on your progress ok?

thanks oceangal, hugz. i understand the feeling of hoping to get away from everything. no worries. take your time. I believe the girls here will understand too since we are all in the same situation.

i will share all i know or have done with you girls. You girls have been so supportive to me and this thread keeps me going ever since I joined in.

Here's my journey so far..
April 2009 - started TTC
April 2009 - Sept 2010: Seen two gynaes and Dr Tan on off. On 3 rounds of clomid.
Sept 2010 - started blackmores conceive well
Nov 2010 - Went to see Dr Tan again. Gave myself 6 months with him.
Jan 2011 - Bought jucier and started juicing fruits for about twice a week for my hubby and myself.
Feb 2011 - Followed the 'bowl theory' and bought a baby bowl hoping for some good luck
Mar 2011 - Bought another bowl. haha.
April 2011 - Went for pap smear and found out that I had fungal infection
May 2011 - Current gynae inserted a pill for me to treat my fungal infection.
- On clomid (50mg) and 3 jabs of Gonal F (alternate days) but it turned out to be annovulatory cycle for me.
- Went HK and prayed at the Wong Tai Sin temple
- Took LRD and chicken essence on alternate days

June 2011 - On clomid (100mg) + 7 jabs of Gonal F (daily) and had three eggs measuring an average of 16mm on CD11
CD11 - neg opk
CD12 - EWCM but neg opk. BD twice with preseed - morning and night
CD13 - neg opk. BBT at 36.5
CD14 - neg opk. BD with preseed. BBT at 36.6
CD15 - BBT was at 36.7
CD16 - BD with preseed. LRD and chicken essence on alternate days

We did the usual stuff like we did for other cycles - BD alternate days and placing a pillow under.

This cycle, hubby went to swim almost everyday as the weather was hot. Not sure if it helps to keep him (and his nuts) cool in a way.

Thanks PGHua, Heatherwhite. I am still here!! Hope you girls don't mind me here too. I also hope that it will be a sticky one too. My other concern is that my fallopian tube is quite long and Dr Tan did mention the risk of ectopic pregnancy. But keeping fingers crossed.

Heatherwhite, im feeling very optimistic about you. The moment I got my BFP, i thought abt you. We have so much in common in terms of our body conditions. Perhaps it's because I had 3 eggs this cycle and therefore more chances for the sperms? Which is why I thought you can give SO-IUI a chance before proceeding to IVF. Moreover, you are younger than me (im 32) right? You should stand a better chance.

PGHua, you got guai guai take your LRD? hehe. I gave myself six months with Dr Tan so I had a month's break in May. Turned out to be annovulatory so I went to Dr Tan for acupuncture in June once but didn't take his ATY. I took LRD and chicken essence alternate days for May and June.

More on temple visits. hehe.
April 2011 - went to the song zi guan yin at bt batok. The statue carries a toddler and is housed indoors.
May 2011 - went to pray at Wong Tai Sin temple in HK
June 2011 - prayed at zu-sheng niang niang at shuanglin temple. must promise how many red eggs to 'return' to temple at the baby's full month.

oh, there's another thing. I was reading intensively at this book I borrowed from library - The Fertility Diet - Groundbreaking research to Healthy Ovulation.

I borrowed, extended, re-borrowed again cuz I couldn't finished in time. I find the book rather helpful and I paid more attention to the foods I eat. The tips they offered target more on PCOS patients and in a way support and prepare the body for fertility treatments. Though certain tips they offered are quite commonly known, but I try to practice it after reading the book.
- Replace poultry and red meat with fish
- full cream milk is actually healthier than low-fat milk/yogurt in having healthier ovulation. Nutrients were actually removed from the low-fat milk as most of them are found in the fats
- More nuts/fruits
- Unprocessed rice is better than white rice. You can try those brown rice or wu-gu rice?
- Avoid trans fats. Take more unsaturated fats. You can read their contents on food labels on the food packages.

If you have the time, you can try borrowing the book to read. It's supported by research on 20,000 female nurses over a long period of time. After reading the book, I learnt how to read food nutrition labels on our food products.

Phylee, congrats. It's a worthwell journey, plenty of rest, relax, dont think so much.

Today is CD 2 for me, fixing appt for blood tests and scan at NUH.

PhyLee,

Thanks for sharing... Hehe... Noting every tips from you! You know what, I was telling HB that I want to get a new bowl last night, and he laugh at me.
sad.gif
Sob... Hehe... But I will still go buy one. Any bowl will do right? hehe...
I think swimming is good, but HB don't like to swim. So far I only swim with him less than 5 times from we know each other till now. Haha...
As for fruit juice, any fruit combination works the best? I don't think I am that hardworking to prepare fruit juice myself, can I buy from stall? BTW, why need to drink chicken essence?
Ya, for temple praying, what is the procedure? I always don't know how to start when going to temple. Need to buy flowers or fruits? Share share ya...

Back