Dr HO from Mt Alvernia

clovy,
thanks
happy.gif

the nurse also told me to relax and njoy the pregnacy. the problem is when u don't see a smile on Dr. Ho's face, u kinda of worry...okie...relax

little twin stars,
u have to try to consume them some time before planning. my sis-in-law who eats lots of seafood n very little veg, got 2 gals delivered by Dr. Ho.
u can try for your next baby
happy.gif

wendy,

I think Dr Ho's default emotion is like that. Throughout my 9 months of pregnancy, I think he only told me once that baby was doing well. During the 1st tri, I also had to see him every week because of spotting. One of the visits, he actually said during the scan, "Ok good, the baby is alive." My hubby and I were like, ???!!!!???!!! And after I passed my 1st trimester he told us that the chances of miscarriage are very much reduced, but "That doesn't mean you will not miscarry." But he did say to us before that he does not like to give people false hopes.

Just believe in yourself and baby. If Dr Ho doesn't tell you anything bad, the default is that baby is doing well. Like what clovy says, it's very important to remain happy because I also believe that a certain amount of our emotions will transmit to the baby.
happy.gif

BB gender
========
Actually, I only found out abt my boy's gender during the detailed scan... dr ho said most prob boy during 4th mth appt but only managed to confirmed the gender during the detailed scan.

Waiting Time
============
How come you all so good? I remembered waiting min 1hr-1.5hr every visit leh... Izzit cos my appts were all in the morn?

wendy,

i must rem this tip the next time, tks!
happy.gif

ya like whay clairemummy say, dr ho seldom smile. however when he sees me with a super worried face and had to confirm that i lost one twin, he sat us down and told us of all the complications that come with twin preg and the cases he has seen n assured me that he's happy that it happened early for me for my baby and my sake. when the need arises, he really tries to comfort la. ither than that..........all the time look very fierce. the only time we laugh alot till the nurse also giggled away was when my mom came along for one of the visit.

other than that, he;ll say, good. everything looks good and that's it

freshpoison77,

morning appointment, better put as last one, if not got to wait very long.

today i went out and buy 2 pieces of top for my "boy" if detailed scan otherwise, gotta give away lo. hehe

Wendy,
me didn't hv miscarriage. fetus heartbeat is no longer present so it's called misabortion according to dr ho. hehehe... meaning if we wanted a boy, we shd take more veg??

Freshpoison77 & Clovy,
me also TTCing for 2009 bb, 2009 yearend bb to be exact.

ClaireMummy,
I think dat's dr ho - very straight forward. during my 1st preg, we were asked to decide whether to keep or abort as bb is not in good condition. at 16 wks gestation, bb has no more heartbeat & dr ho actually says, "..... the good news is you don't have to make decision whether to abort or not"

like that mine also misabortion at 10wks. 1yr ago was miscarrige. aiyo my body like very weaK
sad.gif

for this preg, i ate more pork n vege...kena boy. u can try for yr next one
happy.gif

freshpoison,

Do you go on weekdays or Sat? My co gives me time off for med appts, so I always scheduled on weekdays last time... will take the last appt of the morning or 1st appt of afternoon, so that my hubby can join me during his lunchtime.

09022007 and littletwinstars,

So sorry to hear about your past losses, they must have been devastating.
sad.gif
Luckily now 09022007 has a healthy little babe and littletwinstars, all the best! Take good care!
happy.gif

Wow Freshpoison77 and 09022007, does that mean you wanna plan to give birth consecutively? That would be good for me. Maybe we can start a 2009 TTC thread to encourage one another hahahaa. ClaireMummy don't you wait so long. Join us bah!

Yar take good care of yourself and have a smooth pregnancy and delivery lor. Haiz, seems like misabortion is quite common leh cos this happens to one of my friends too. Also, I have a relative even more pitiful. She is I think maybe around 40yrs old? BB was 8mths then and suddenly no heartbeat! My gosh this I really want to faint when I heard this. She is really sad lor. Bury the bb cos legs, hands, brain everything developed already..every year pai pai.

Dear all,
thanks for all your encouragements. to be exact, mine was a misabortion too.
okie, for mummies who want a baby boy, usually intake more greens than meat. for baby girls, is the reverse. read from an article, got to do with alkine food and acidic food. there are certain food that u consume e.g. bananas and etc to have a baby boy. let me search for it. thank you all so much
happy.gif

just want to share that the nurses in dr Ho's clinic are fierce man!

as i shared previously, I was not decided on a gynae cos now only 6 weeks. As some of you on this thread and else where in the forum said, it was perfectly acceptable to go to another gynae for the next appt, then decide who i was most comfy with.

so i called up and said I'd like to reschedule my appt, cos dr Ho asked me to see him in 2 weeks and i had earlier already scheduled the other gynae in 2 weeks.

then the nurse asked, why am i seeing another gynae (cos my friend strongly recommended), who is it, which hospital is it, when am i going to see her, do i not want to see dr ho anymore (i said no, I am still considering, so i just want to change the appt to another two weeks later) then she said, just call back later when you want to make an appt.

so unfriendly!
kao_frustrated.gif

clovy,

Want to enjoy some time with my girl first, so will wait until she's maybe around 3? I start TTC 2010 thread. LOL.

clovy,
yes, wanted another bb next yr. wasted too much time, 6 yrs to b exact. tried everything but juz didn't managed to conceived until i gave up trying a yr ago than conceived. doesn't really matter boy or girl so long as bb is healthy.

clairemummy,
how i wish i can wait another few more yrs to hv another bb juz like u. me 30+ already, cannot wait, it's now or never.

wendy,
food intake not really accurate for me lor. i've always like meat but my 1st preg was a boy, 2nd preg a girl. of cos hope for a boy for yr 2009 but it's not for me to choose anyway! but still will take even more greens see if can kenna a boy!!! hehehe.... anyway, all the best to u!

CH Lee,
dr ho's nurses r not THAT fierce lar. they r always like dat when on the phone. they r very friendly in person. u shdn't hv told them u r seeing another gynae, for sure they'll ask u to call back to make appointment, they dun want to block a slot for u & at the end u didn't turn up.

sigh... i thought best to be frank with them. Since Dr ho said i should have a scan in two weeks time to determine EDD. So instead of seeming irrepsonsible and pushing the appt date to two weeks later for no good reason, thought I'd just tell them lor.

clovy,

i hear yr friend's case i scared liao....like nothing is ok till u hold the baby in yr arms
sad.gif
everyday i'm praying that my little one will be healthy and i will carry him to full term lei )
what is the cause of heartbeat just stopping like that at such late stage? also i heard of cases where waterbag just burst at wk 24onwards........think i read too many stories to scare myself liao

ch lee,
the nurses over the phone always very rude one but in person, friendly. hubby also fed up when he calls at times. when i called n wanted to tell them i'll be late, they'll say ok n hang up jus like tt. then when hubby called to push app forward to 1 or 2 days earlier, they'll ask why, got business trip is it? when come back etc....my hubby was fuming mad. change an app must ask so many ques?!!!! guys hate it.....haha (think they r too "aunty" already )

hee hee..the nurses are too bz to pick up calls
cos their phones r ringing non stop :p
actually they are v nice in person...

Appt Timing
===========
Mine was always on weekdays morning ard 9am cos I needed to report back to work by noon. I think that's y always kena wait so long... Nxt time round, I will be smarter. Haha Choose a better appt timing.

BB Gender
=========
My #1 is a boy so sort of hoping to have a gal for #2 but ppl who noe me always say my face dun have gal gal leh. Even my mother also say sure 'didi' nxt time...

====
Seriously considering cos I want a 3yr gap between my kids... plus I will be 32 nxt yr already... 'lao kok kok' liao

freshpoison77,
i always opt for the 1st slot in the morning. dun hv to wait mar.... but it's not available always lor. i'll normally go on sat, if not gotta take 1/2 day leave during weekdays.

Hi little twin stars (stardiva), I am scare to hear that too. Somemore I was 8mths pregnant. You can never imagine how cautious I was after hearing what happen to my relative.

Hi CH Lee (dimpletot), I also think the nurses are friendly bunch. Through phone is also ok for me. Maybe because I spoke mandarin with them?

Hi freshpoison77, In order not to wait long I always try to choose an appmt to be first in the morning cos dun need to wait. First one will be you. But if unlucky, you may need to wait quite sometime for Dr Ho to finish his rounds with his patients who are staying at the hospital.

Hi everyone.

Dr Ho delivered my gal 7 months back, and I had no regrets choosing him as my gynae. He might be a serious, no-nonsense guy, with short consultations, but you know that you are in safe hands. He does not leave any thing to chance, and is extremely careful and detailed. And his famous statement is " If there are no proven benefits, why take the risks". That was mainly in the context of various supplements or tonics that I wanted to take. Very true indeed.

I had Strep B, and was worried sick (especially after reading online materials about Strep B). Dr Ho chided me for scaring myself and went that it is not about reading, but understanding and interpreting the articles. Each time I come out thinking "Wah, pay money to get scolded" but on hindsight, he makes perfect sense.

So for ladies who have chosen Dr Ho, or are planning to, good choice. Thumbs up to him
happy.gif

clovy,
pregnancy can b a paranoid period for the mummies. always worry about every single thing.

now i start to speck mandrin to them lliao. when i gave the nurse my first name, she could rem my surname as well. hee

princess m.
so u mean u didn't take chicken essence or bird nest?

hi all,
i feel cold most of the time n if the aircon in the shopping center is too cold for me, i'll end up shivering badly............ thought most peopple feel hot in pregnancy, but i'm the other way round...is it because i have low blood?

littletwinstars - i always feel cold also. in mrt , air con places... think our body temp higher so feel cold more easily?

Princess M - yeah, one of the things I was considering is, Dr Ho is very good, but somehow pay money to get scolded feel a bit yuan wang. Other gynaes can be more gentle and caring, and perhaps more understanding of first time mummies who don't always know as much as experienced gynaes do.

maybe not scold la..he just tell u in a serious tone abt the consequences if dun follow his instructions lor..
overall he is great!!

yup i think he's definitely a good gynae. knows what he's doing and takes zero risk. and makes sure you take zero risk too.
happy.gif

but sometimes really feel like kena scolding by father like that! and our error stems from ignorance... not like we would purposely do something to harm the bb. he's just very strict lah.

haha..he's old enuff to be my dad liaoz...
it's good to be strict :p
the 1st appt i see him..once he confirm i m preg..he told 1 whole list of food cannot eat liaoz.. :p

ch lee,
oh, u also? now i go everywhere also need to wear sweater
sad.gif

mifi,
dr ho never tell me what food to avoid lei.

however when my hubby took the risk to force me to go m'sia for visitation n i told dr ho cos i have discharge n he already tell me not to go, he stare at my hubby. hehe. but he can't scold my hubby cos he's paying for eerything. scared loose a biz ma

little twin stars,
Ya, I din take chicken essence. Only took abit of bird nest but stopped cos each time I had it, I could almost 'feel' Dr Ho near me. Haha. He told me a list of food to avoid too- no sharks fins cos high in mercury, no nuts and bird nest cos baby might develop allergy, no liver, no raw food.

I don't think Dr Ho is afraid of losing business la. He is probably annoyed that your hb went against his advice. Better be careful k cos you don't want to end up in a 'i told u so' situation
happy.gif
Like CH Lee said, Dr Ho is a zero risk doc.

CH Lee,
Agree about the 'yuan wang' part but I guess Dr Ho meant well. Probably those mummies that prefer more 'mothering' gynaes should choose another doc la cos Dr Ho is just too straight talking .. I had trouble accepting that initially
happy.gif

princess m,

i eat chicken essence n bird nest. so far so good la...
i was not told what not to eat. how come he never tell me. i ate alot of nuts and skin became itchy then my mom told me no peanuts as it might trigger skin allergies. the rest i research on the web already.
i was also fed up with hubby then so purposely tell dr ho, heehee

check with u:

did he let u hear baby's heartbeat on every visit n monitor the rate?i know some gynaes do la. i only get to hear once n that was becos i requested for it and it cost me $20 more for it.

detailed scan:

does he use 4d? did he show u the hands n knucles n heart, brain, legs, toes? cos when he did nt scan for me, he onlt measure fluid never measure head n nasal bone or check limbs lei. when can we do 4d scan? he has tt package with video right? how much ah?

dr ho doesn't explain much during scan, never tell us where the placenta is, i need to always prepare ques to ask cos if not, he'll jus say, everything ok n that's it lei. i wish he could explain more

little twin stars,

i think he told me abt the food to avoid cos i asked
happy.gif
nope, i have never heard the heartbeat actually. dr hp will do the scan n tell me things like "that's ur baby counting her fingers" but i can't figure a thing cos the screen is only lumps of black and greys :p

detailed scan is more to check that the organs are all around. one of the nurse wil hace a checklist, and dr ho will scan and rattle off that the various organs are sighted. e.g. 2 kidneys, 2 eyes, 1 nose etc..i recall him measuring the head circumference and all.

maybe I m less concerned abt needing to know more. when dr ho said everything is ok, i leave it at that. when something is of the slightest wrong, trst me, he will for sure tell u. so just enjoy the pregnancy
happy.gif

princess m,

perhaps he's a man of few words that's why. strangely although his machine can hear heartbeat, he doesn;t use that function unless u ask him. maybe harmful to baby?
so u didn't do 4d scan i guess?
ya, think i'll have to relax and just enjoy the pregnancy
happy.gif
tks

I think Dr Ho is strict because after many years in this business he has seen far too many tragedies happen.

I remember when I was just preggy there was a death in Mt A and Dr Ho told us the story. Not sure exactly all the details of the case (and think it's not Dr Ho's patient) but I did garner that the mother went against her gynae's advice and tried for natural birth. In the end complications ensued and they couldn't save her.
sad.gif
So moral of the story - listen to your gynae!

Later I think someone posted about this story on this forum as well, so it was not an exaggeration on his part. Sad.

I only got to listen to my baby's heartbeat during the last few weeks when you have to do CTG every visit.
happy.gif
Still have the recordings. Brings back a lot of memories.

Little Twin Stars,
Detailed scan and 4d scan different? If so, yep, did not do 4d scan.

ClaireMummy, oh yes, I remember the CGT. My weight gain for the last few weeks of my pregnancy was not optimal and I was made to do the CTG for each visit. Sianz. Just lie there and hear the tock tock tock tock ;)

clairemummy,

yup, better be safe than sorry that's why i was angry with hubby and dr stare at my hubby for putting me at risk. now hubby don't dare risk liao.
ya, always listen to gynae instead of regreting later.......
can i ask, what is CTG?

CTG is a heartbeat test to ensure that bb's heartbeat is normal. I have to do it each time my weight gain is suboptimal. It's a 15 mins procedure, where u just lie on the bed with the the wired pads placed on your tummy and the machine will map out your bb's heartbeat and movement.

princess m,

oh...that sounds interesting. take it as spa treatment
happy.gif
if only they give u a conducive room with music

its a torture when u r in ur last trim to lie flat for 20 mins during CTG test..hahaha.
norm during detail scan..dun ask him questions,ask when the scan is completed.tat's his style :p

mifi,

yes i noticed. if i ask too many ques, he'll say one at a time. let him scan first
happy.gif
so now i ask only when we sit down. hee

CTG
===
Did that scan on my 38week appt. I was strapped in for almost 45mins. Nearly died of boredom... THEN Dr Ho announced that he's gonna deliver my bb that day itself cos the heartbeat was too high!!! I actually drove myself to e hospital for the appt that day and was still telling my hubby that I will go for a car wash aft the appt. In the end, my hubby had to take a cab to the hospital wif my 'barang barang'.

Wow so many posting to catch up here. Now all of you are talking abt CTG huh? I had mine in week 38 and 39 too. Hearing the bb's heartbeat can really make me fall asleep! Everything so far so good for me. Usually heard abt heartbeat going slow. First time I heard heartbeat too high. Is it the baby too eager to come to this world? So freshpoison77(freshpoison77), is your labour induced?

freshpoison77,

wah, yours so drama! is it becos u jus had a can of coke....caffeinated ,hehe. yrs was induced or c sect? towards the later stage, must really be prepared for anything!

freshpoison77,

i had almost simmilar experience! usually my hubby will accompany me for the checkup but that one particular session, he couldn't make it and i had to go myself. then did the CTG cos felt a little of contractions the day before, but went off quite quickly. after CTG, went to see Dr Ho with that CTG results. Dr Ho said alright, see you end of the week (that was monday). then when i waiting for nurse to make fri's appt, Dr Ho called me in again. I was like oh no, what could it be.

Dr Ho became very serious, and said that he relooked at the CTG and prefers to induce me that day! He said he preferred to err on the side of caution cos bb's heartbeat was sub-optimal. So I could induced that very day! Was supposed to go back to work that day lor..hahaha.

yeah, I agree with mifi. Doing CTG in 3rd tri is a TORTURE. My baby hated the CTG and ultrasound scans. Everytime she will stop moving the minute the things come near her.

freshpoison/princess,
Wow! Drama!!! Kekekekeke.... Can imagine the panic you must have felt.

littletwinstars,
I think it is different for everyone. For me at my 39weeks appointment baby was still quite comfy, so Dr Ho actually made appt for me to be induced on my EDD (next week visit) if I still didn't deliver by then. So depending on how your baby and your condition is by that time.
happy.gif
Not necessary that you will deliver early also.

Back