Dr Chen Chern Yi, gynae in Punggol

Hi Angel,
oh.. hehhe.. good that your bb is active during the scan lah.think the doctor over there would prefer bb moving around rather than staying still lor..... heheh... but then again, bb naughty arh.. hehe.. dun let you all see boy or gal.. heheh... hopefully you will be able to see in your next checkup.. cos GSS is coming liao wor.. great time to shop for baby's stuff wor.. :p

Hi Grace,
I signed up with TMC Antenatal workshop.. they have this FBI (First Born Incentive) memebership whereby there are discounts given to members including delivery charges discount (5%), room charges discount etc.. Dr Chen in under the FBI scheme so we are entitled to the 5% off delivery charge lor...as for Antenatal workshop, is entitle to 10% off.. paid $172 (original price is $189)

oh.. my next visit to the clinic is on the 25th.. which is this thurs.. hehe.. yippie.. can see baby again liao... :p

oh.. my antenatal class starts 11June...
happy.gif

zenn: I havent decided yet..anyway Its not urgent for me because I m not pregnant. Just wanna do the research so I dont have to panic when time comes. I will probably do my pre-conception check with Dr Chen though. Need to see if I am comfy with her

Hi Coolqoo,
Thks for your feedbk on TMC workshop
happy.gif

Hi all,
The Mt Alvernia pamplet on childbirth workshop showed S$126(with 5% GST) for mothers delivering at Mt A & S$147 for other participants.

It states partners are strongly encourages to attend. Does that meant husband will be foc? a bit confused cos I intend to send cheque but wonder should I add another $126 for husband fee.... anyone been there & attend the workshop b4? Pls help to advise, Thx!

Hi grace,
What i did was to call the number stated on the pamphlet. I called them last month (apr) and only got a slot for classes starting in July. I think it's quite fully booked, especially if you want the weekend class. Weekdays class start at 6.30pm if i'm not wrong.

We only pay the amount stated there. Hubby comes in for free! =) I called them, booked the july weekend class, and haven't paid the fee yet. I think will do that only when i attend the 1st class.

I'm with Dr. Chen too! =)

Hi everyone

I delivered my first child with Dr Chen. Now expecting No.2 .... quite hesitant whether to go back cos heard some people with bad exerience. For me it was overall ok and I do find her quite nice.

Can I please ask is there ANYBODY here who was NOT induced by Dr Chen?

I get the feeling she like to induce pple......i was induced but managed to deliver naturally with epidural.

Thanks for all the sharing here! I used to have my detailed scan at her clinic by a visiting doc......maybe now it has changed huh? She asks her patients to go Mt A for detailed scan now is it?
happy.gif

Hi AppleG,

yeah.. i went to MtA to do the detail scan also.. didn't know that her clinic can do detail scan also....

hmm... she always induce meh?.. hmm... cos i would prefer natural delivery too... so hopefully won't be induced by her...

so what's holding you back to go back to her for your Number 2?.. eh...

Hi appleG and coolqoo,

My detailed scan was also done at Mt.A.

Induced? Meaning to make it faster for baby to come out? It's more painful also right? I'm hoping mine will be as natural as possible.

AppleG, do you actually raise your preference, desires regarding labour, to Dr. Chen? Will she try to accomodate to your preference as much as possible?

wah the price of her antenatal package has increased greatly man! Its now SGD1200 and the preconception check is SGD350. I think I will probably look for another doctor.

Hi butterfly

well most of the time she has valid reasons to induce la.... my time it was water not clear a bit worrying seems like there is poss baby poo inside.

So induced....since i was then already 38 weeks. In a sense dun induce also cannot because when the doc says induce you have to induce mah.

Just curious if anyone here if delivered by Dr Chen was not induced.

Overall she is patient and nice la.......just wanted to get more feedback.

Hi coolqoo
holding me back? scared kena induced again lor...haha......my induction was ok though, ended up did deliver natural with epi. Just tt if there is a choice, guess nobody hopes to be induced rite.

Wow ... such a big raise from $950 to $1200. However, if I'm going for another gynea, I must consider the transport and time factor. Since I'm a bit lazy, think I'll go back to her since she is nearby.

As for induction, I was induced too. Firstly, my cervix didn't dilate and my fluid was a bit brownish as my bb has pooed a little. Furthermore, I was already 40 weeks pregnant.

Mikel: I'm going to call to make an appointment with Dr Adrian Woodworth at Sengkang MRT. His package is 550 and can start anytime. Dr Chen's package starts at 16th week if I am not wrong.

I am also looking for a gynae nearby but I really dont think I want to pay 1.2k for a package. I want to see a gynae who delivers at TMC. Even the popular gynaes at TMC itself only charge 400+ onwards from 20th week onwards..

Hi livvie,

How about Dr. Woo Bit Hwa? Done any research of him? I'm considering Dr. Adrian Woodworth as well...so far comments I've read bout him seems encouraging....does his $550 includes all scans n vitamins?
Like u I'm oso not preg yet....hehe....I'll only be TTC-ing end of nxt yr...but will jus like to be prepared rather than feeling lost when the time comes...

Livvie
Yah, does his $550 include scans, vitamins, etc? Seems kind of low for a gynea package ... Furthermore, I'm more comfortable with a female gynea.

Hi elchwong, mikel and livvie,

I am currectly wif Dr Woo and previously seeing Dr Adrian. I am comfortable wif both but Dr Woo is more detail whereas for Dr Adrian, his clinic is always v packed so ve to wait for qute awhile and each session usually last 5-10mins oni. So I guess depending what you are looking for.

Yes Dr Adrian package is $550 n includes scans and vitamins whereas Dr Woo is $800+GST and includes the same.

Last night I went to Dr Woodworth to do my prenatal blood checks. Hubby is ok with him except that he speaks quite fast but he was able to tell us what we can do if we want to try for a child ie I should take folic acid and hubby some multivitamins etc.

I feel ok with him for now, just a little concerned that the consultation sessions seem very rushed. The preggie mums before me went in and came out in less than 10 mins..Some mum-to-be here in the forum mentioned that hes not very detailed. Perhaps will go see Dr Woo at Punggol Plaza to "test test" how comfy I am with him. No hurry for me yet but I will start my folic acid today already. He said that its good to take for at least one mth before trying.

Any experience or feedback about his "rushed" consultations? Thanks!
happy.gif

HI elchwong, Dr woo package can start anytime too.

Hi livvie, I feel the same way too that's why I switch to Dr woo.

Thanks zenn...so far is everything ok wif Dr. Woo? Gd to know that Dr. Woo is more detailed cos he's nearer to my love nest which I'll be moving into nxt yr...

Sometimes its really hard to make a choice
sad.gif
Also read from the forum that some also find Dr Woo not forthcoming when it comes to answering questions. I think whats more important is that you are comfy with the gynae..

Hi elchwong & livvie,

Ya so far me n my gfs are comfortable wif dr woo. Guess its pretty subjective so its best that you visit him urself and make sure you are comfy wif him
happy.gif

Hi,

Eversince i take the multi-vitamins & iron tablets from Dr Chen, I have been passing out green color stools....aiyo 2 mths oreadi...doesn't seems rite. Checked with Dr Chen, she said its alright...??

Any mummy experiencing this like me?

Hi Angel,

I been taking the iron tablets from Dr Chen, so far my stools are normal leh... didn't pass green stool wor.. maybe you wanna check with her why you pass green stool?

oh.. I heard that Dr Chen's package increase price already... is that true? heard also that her delivery fee also increased price liao wor... anyone just signed package with her?

coolqoo: yes her package price has increased. I just checked with the clnic in June. I posted the prices earlier. The price of her antenatal package is now SGD1200 and the preconception check is SGD350. I am not too sure about the delivery charges because once I heard the 1.2k package price, I said thanks and left
happy.gif

I guess male gyneas' packages are cheaper cos most MTB prefer female ones. So no choice but to make the price more attractive.

Livvie, like Zenn, I'm seeing Dr Woo at PP.
happy.gif

Also feel v comfy with him. He answers my questions with technical terms (my course of study deals with the same technical terms) cos he knows I understand them, and will repeat in layman terms so my hubby can understand.

And as Zenn said, he is more detailed. Cos there is no queue of patients, so he has more time to slowly do the U/S and slowly explain things to you
happy.gif

Personally I prefer male gynae after seeing 2 female gynae
happy.gif
Older generation will also tell you male gynaes more skillful
happy.gif

Dun think is becoz of female gynaes charges more le. Dun see my gynae charging more le. =p

Her clinic's @ GlenE though and her charges ard 800 b4 GST.

Koalarie
Is it?? But I lazy to travel far to see a gynea. We don't have a car somemore. Think the travel cost will come up to the same amount if I sign up with Dr Chen. Anyway, not planning to have another bb yet.

Mrs Wong
They may be skilful but I'm not comfortable to have a male looking and poking at my private area. My hubby will not like it too. How old is the older generation? Is it because there weren't as many female gyneas back then, so pregnant ladies have to visit male gyneas? I don't mean to be rude ...

Hi,

Check with the nurse..the price increased is effective in June...so those who signed up the package b4 June will not be affected, same for delivery charges (normal delivery increased to $1600!!). Think she is good lah, dats y increase price...went for checkup on Monday but still got alot of preggies...Dr Chen is getting popular
happy.gif

hi Livvie,

thanks for checking it out!!.. phew.. lucky i signed up before june... wah.. it's sooo ex great jump in price wor..already find her quite ex liao.. now increase price more ex...
..am in my 32 weeks this week.. will be visiting Dr Chen again this thursday night.. hopefully baby is good..

oh.. regarding the induce thingy... happen to be my collegue also induced by her.. but she didn't make it for natural birth in the end.. she got c-section lor...

a bit scary to hear that..so i discussed with hubby....*cross-finger** if really necessary, then we will take her advise to induce labour.. if not, we still hoping for the natural process to take place as this, we think is best for me and baby...

hmm.. maybe i should write a birth plan eh.. hehe :p

oh.. for those who sign up before june hor.. can let me know how much she charging for epi mah?.. didn;t note down that charge last time wor... was thinking of natural with epi lor...

Hi coolqoo,

Went to a pre-natal seminar last Sat.
The speaker shared with us that her gynae advised her not to use epidural as it slows down the dilation. The only adv is that u dun feel the contraction pain.

The speaker advice us to stand & walk around the delivery suite instead of lying on the delivery bed while waiting for the cervix to dilate to 10cm. The nurse usually wan us to lie down but it is very uncomfortable. U can just tell the nurse to come back every 20min to chk on the foetus & how much ur cervix had dilated. Also, standing up & walking around helps us to relax. The speaker mentioned that her cervix dilated very fast to 8 cm within a few hours. Once hit 8cm dilation, the transition to 10cm will be between 1/2hr - 2hrs. I will try her method!!
She also shared that induction is not good cos the bb is not ready to come to this world & more pushing is needed from the mother. Alot of pple ended up C-section after inducing. Sigh!
Actually, I veri afraid of pain. My threshold is veri low. But I'll still go for natural delivery w/o epidural nor inducing. Just let my bb grows till full term.
Btw, my little princess is 29weeks oreadi.
EDD on Children's Day
happy.gif

hi angel,

seem like this is another view on using epidural... the seminar that i attend by TMC doctor encourage to use epi as since we do not feel the pain so much, it will help us relac more and thus, faster the dilating process... i do come across a video during my pre-natal class that ang-mo women just walk round and round until she feel that the baby is coming out.. then she just PUSH.. then baby comes out... dunno how much pain she have endured.. but seems like standing up and walking are somewhat more useful for dilation to occur faster too....

i also beri afraid of pain one lor... hehe... but hor... shall see how lah.. i will try to go for natural without epi first.. if really cannot tahan, then shall go for epi...

oh.. btw, the epi is charged by the anestacian... will be charged to our hospital bill... i checking with the Dr. Chen's staff last thrusday night during checkup.. she say is about $300 plus for epi lor...

yeah.. induction is really not good.. unless really necessary, we will not opt for that... hopefully...

hehe.. so good.. children's day... hehe..next time your princess will always get goodies on her birthday.. heheh

I am in my 32th week liao.. heheh.. counting down.. heheh.. so excited ... qi dai to see baby ...
happy.gif

oh.. regarding the 2nd detail scan mentioned in the package by doc chen hor.. hmm.. it's not that kind that we go to mt. A to do scanning wor.. it's just done within her clinic and she just measure baby head, tummy, thigh bone, kidney, see the spine.. then do a graph on paper saying that baby head is at what range, baby tummy is at what range etc lor... hmm... feel that this can be done in the usual checkup lor.. cos it's quite fast to measure since baby got not much space to move about...

hmm... we are sure that we won't be using Dr. Chen again for our next baby cos we find her a bit on the ex side lor... she is okies lah.. but just that we feel that budget wise we cannot make it... :p

hi all,
i hve just been delivered n discharge fm mt alvernia. Would like to say a big thanks to Dr Chen and staff of mt alvernia.

Dr chen is indeed veri calm, patient n encouraging during my delivery although i am pushing like a mad woman n i can say i have not make the wrong choice fr choosing her as my gynae.

i will sure be engaging her again fr my next baby.

Anyone out there to recomend gd pd fr my baby?
i previous the pd to be near punggol or best in punggol area

Congrats on your delivery!
One popular PD is Dr Allyson Tan from The Kid's Clinic, Rivervale Mall. Don't go on Mondays and Fridays, it's packed and you have to wait very long!!! Late mornings or early afternoons are good for other days. Evening can be crowded too.

hi mikel,
thks fr your recommendations. how abt those 24 hrs clinic? wan to standby jus fr emergency.

actually i do see that there are alot of preggies looking fr Dr chen..... they are sure in good hands.....
happy.gif

Hello,
First bb delivered by Dr Chen, will not go back to her for no 2 as she is pro-induction. Of course you can give all the gd reasons for induction. My delivery was not great partly because of the nurses on duty. But Dr Chen was not so patient when I ask her somethings after delivery.

i suppose each of us have different approaches on how we want to deliver our babies. Agree that Dr Chan is pro-inducing. She feels that babies after maturity can safely leave the womb, and babies staying too long can result in complications, e.g. large babies requiring c-section, water level dropping, cord strangulation etc. However, some people also feel that we should let nature take its course.

my parents were also pro-inducing, but my ILs were not. me n my hb are pretty neutral, so we were torn between both sides for a while. in the end, everything was resolved when the water level dipped (ard 38 weeks) and decided to induce.

hi there.. i'm back.. delivered my bb in TMC in Early september by Dr. Chen... mine is natural with forceps.. must say her skill good cos bb dun have any markings on her head... overall.. i think she is good at delivery lah...

But hor.. if you ask me my 2nd bb will go to her or not.. my answer is NO... Not that her skills are no good lah.. just that
1) eh... hard-selling on the induce portion lor.. cos we believe to let nature takes it's course.. that's what she told us on my 36-37 weeks.. come my 38-39 weeks.. she start to phsyco us to induce bb.. although we already prepared that she will talk us into inducing bb.. but well... lucky bb decided to come out on her own so not that bad lah.. my pain came just 2 days before the scheduled induced date.. hehe

2) Well.. $$ do play a part lah... she is well... quite expensive for both her pre-natal package and her delivery charges lor... after i signed up the package with her.. then I found out that she is so much more expensive than those doctors within the hospital ... I go a collegue's wife having twins and her package is only $800+.. i immediate heart pain.. but no choice, already pay liao lor...

well.. it's up to individual to decide on who to be your gynae.. I have tried and now .. sharing my experience with you.. do consider her if you find that convienent(her clinic near your place) is your top priority
happy.gif

Hi Coolqoo,
Congrats... yes convenient is the biggest factor + she is a gd gynae soooo i will go back to her fr my 2nd bb...

Hi, I'm new here and deciding on pregnancy. Can I ask what's TTC, antenatel package and pre-conception package? I'm also living in Punggol so looking for gynae around the area if there's a gd one.

hi krex78,

TTC=Trying To Conceive, antenatel package=pre-delivery checkups

Dr Chen is good... but on the ex ex side... heard another doc at compass point, dr andrew woodard is good... but neber try him before cos hubby dun like male gynae wor...

I was with Dr Chen for the first few months of my pregnancy...found her fees on the expensive range. Was introduced to Dr Chen by my relative and she also felt that that her fees have gone up so much within just half a year...she also thinking of switching to another gynae if she is gg for her no. 2.

I'm currently with another female gynae at Thomson. The gynae is comparable to Dr Chen - in terms of sharing her knowledge with lst time mother-to-be plus patient too. Hence, I have decided to sign up with her instead, given the cheaper package + location convenience + years of experiences.

Good to compare around before signing up the antenatel package.

Hi Grace,

Yes...i delivered my bb gal in sept - Natural delivery!!! I couldn't believe it!
Dr Chen is so good! She is so calm & caring.
I will still go back to Dr Chen for my 2nd child.

Back