Dr Chen Chern Yi, gynae in Punggol

Hi Mikel,
Sorry for replying late.
Care to share for both type : natural w enpidural + assisted delivery & c-section....

Poko & tingting,
Thks for your feedback.

grace song
I'm not too sure about the natural cos my case was induced and later emergency c-section. I need to come up with about $1850 in cash., total is about $4000 plus, can't remember the exact amount.

If it's natural with epidural, I don't think you have to come up to $1000. My friend just pay less than $500 for natural birth w/o epidural. If it's assisted delivery & c-section, shouldn't be more than $1000.

Sorry if my answer couldn't answer your question.

My case is very similar with Poko, just that his heartbeat is not dropping, but head is starting swelling. Dr Chen was very prompt in arriving and even asked my hubby if he wants to be in the theatre when she's operating. My hubby was surprised that he could go in and he did. Lucky he did not faint. I will go back to Dr Chen if I'm having a second child. She's very skilful in surgery.

Hi gals,

Can I check for is $950 for pre natal only? If so how much is the delivery? Also is $950 for unlimited visit?

I called and was told they dun ve a fixed pre conception or pre natal package. Anyone can explain on this?

You can sign up for the package once you are 16 weeks pregnant. The package includes monthly visits and subsequently twice-a-month visit and when nearer to due date, once a week. The $950 does not include blood tests and medication, except iron tablets.

Hi, i am new here,today is my first visit with Dr.Chen, find her quite friendly and assuring. Yes, the fact that she looks young, i don't if they stick with her. my fren suggests to find a senior consultant instead..how u all feel abt her ?

Looks has nothing to do with professionalism ... In my opinion, as long as you are comfortable with her, it's fine.

Hi zenn,

I also signed up for the $950 package. Her delivery charges is $1,200 exclu hospital fees. Hospital fee is based on which hospital you chose and which kind of room you wan and whether you are natural birth or assisted one lor....

hmm.. i find her okies lor.. before i signed up, i was pondering whether to continue with her or go to a doctor who station at the hospital... one of my concern is like what had happen to POKO as describe above lah.. cos hor.. punggol is quite far from Mt A and TMC wor... so hor.. if gana jam hor.. then i gan jiong lah....

But hor, my hubby say since we quite comfy with her hor.. then dun think too much lor... so hor.. i sign up the package lor...

Hi Coolgoo, did u check up other gynae package and their delivery charges ? is $1200 consider ex ? can ask, need to do any blood / urine test at week 9?

hi,may i ask those who have delivered by Dr Chen at TMC or Mt A, since she is not station at the hospital, how often she visited you at the ward after u gave birth? is her attention given similar to those drs station there ? I am comfortable with her, but my only concern is she is not based there and her charges seem to be a bit on the high side....anybody can advice ?

Hi for those who sign up package already.

If the $950 does not include blood test and medication but only iron tablets, does it include normal ultrasound scanning? I saw from the package that it only include 2 type of scanning... it makes me wonder what are we chked when we go for the appointment scheduled within the package? Is the gynae consultation fee included in the package?? how about urine test?

I have colleagues whose package only cost abt $500+ but not sure what it includes.

Can anyone been thru advise what will be expected for each appointment signed under the package.

The $950 package includes ultrasound scan (to check bb's growth, fluid, placenta's position, etc) and urine test during every visit. If Dr Chen notices something which requires extra scan, like doppler (not sure if it's spelt like this), you will be refered to either Mt. A or TMC. Consultation fee is already included in the package.

Her delivery charges are quite reasonale, my fren said that her charges are actually quite cheap. My fren's gynea charged her $2200 for delivery.

Actually if you take a cab from Punggol to Mt. A, it takes only 10mins, or 15mins max. TMC is slightly further. Well ... if your case is really emergency and baby needs to be taken out immediately, I think the hospital would have the common sense to allocate a hospital-based gynea to deliver your baby instead of waiting for your gynea to arrive.

The $950 package includes ultrasound scan (to check bb's growth, fluid, placenta's position, etc) and urine test during every visit. If Dr Chen notices something which requires extra scan, like doppler (not sure if it's spelt like this), you will be refered to either Mt. A or TMC. Consultation fee is already included in the package.

Her delivery charges are quite reasonale, my fren said that her charges are actually quite cheap. My fren's gynea charged her $2200 for delivery.

Actually if you take a cab from Punggol to Mt. A, it takes only 10mins, or 15mins max. TMC is slightly further. Well ... if your case is really emergency and baby needs to be taken out immediately, I think the hospital would have the common sense to allocate a hospital-based gynea to deliver your baby instead of waiting for your gynea to arrive.

Confused here. $950 is the pre-natal package only rite? Meaning exclude delivery? If so how much is the delivery charge?

Average how much do you have to pay every mth for medication?

Hi,
I am new here.
Just signed up the package with Dr Chen.

Mikel,
No idea abt Doppler? Btw, I was told to go to Mt.A during my next visit (5 mth) to do a detailed scan for my bb. What did Dr Chen tell u abt doppler, can share with us more? Thanks.

Hi rnjt,

I find Dr Chen very caring and professional.
My hubby & myself r the conservative type...feel more comfortable with female gynae. But just that her charges seems abit ex.

zenn
$950 exclude delivery. I'm not too sure about natrual delivery, mine is by emergency c-section and it cost $1350. It's consider cheap compare to my friends' gyneas. Subsequent visits by her during your hospital stay is $100/visit. She will visit you once every day, usually in the morning.

The iron tablets are included in the package, so no need to pay. I just pay $30 for neurogain every month.

Angel
My bb was small when he is 5 months old and Dr Chen was concern, so I was refered to TMC for doppler scan. It basically checked to see if the blood vessels in the umbilical cord is funtioning well. Everything was alright, my bb is just small.

Hi rnjt,

U can actually drop by & check the package list with the nurse. As far as i know, they do not distribute the list & we r only allow to view it @ the clinic.

All i can recall r as follows:-
-a postnatal check-up
-urine test during every visit
-iron tablets
-consultation fees
etc.

Best u can check with Dr Chen to explain to u in detailed :)

sorrie for the late reply... didn't check the forum recently.. was really busy..

I didn't check about other gynae delivery charges lor.. simply too lazy liao lah.. :p

I copied down the breakdown of the $950 package.. please refer to below.

1)4 weekly visits from 16th week (meaning 4 weeks you visit her one time till you are 32 weeks)
2) 3 weekly visits from 32-35 weeks (Meaning 32 weeks onwards, 3 weeks you visit her one time)
3) 2 weekly visits from 35-37 weeks (Meaning you visit her every 2 weeks, hmm.. that means hor.. after 35 weeks hor. . you only get to see her 1 time lor since 37-35=2)
4) Urine Test for sugar & protein at every visit
5) Monthly combined iron & multi-vatimin tablets
6) 1 post natal visit
7)2 detail ultra sounds
- - A) Fetal Screening (16-20 weeks)
--- B) Fetal growth (30-34 weeks)
8) Ultrasound at every visit
9) 1 CTG at term

okies.. above is the $950 package details... i heard those $500 plus ones does not include ultra scan wor...

now... i also copied down the delivery charges of hers.. :p.. pays to be early at appointment.. copied down while waiting for her. :p

1) Normal Delivery $1,200
2) Assisted (Forceps/Vacum) $1,400
3) LSCS - Elective $1,600
- Emergency $1,800

I now in my 19th week... going for my first detail scan next thursday at mt A. lor... so exciting :p

Hi Coolgoo,
so u need not pay any $ for your detail scan at Mt A next thursday? do you know how much the scan would have cost?

Dear all,

hmm..was working out on the figures on if the package is really worth it lah... just estimations based on our normal visits with her.. okies.. here it goes...

Step 1: total number of visits
16-32th weeks (4 weekly basis) = 4 visits
32-35th weeks (3 weekly basis) = 1 visit
35-37th weeks (2 weekly basis) = 1 visit
Total number of visits = 6 visits

Step 2: Breakdowns
a) Consultation fee per visit = $50
b) Ultrascan per visit = $30
c) urine test per visit = $7
d) Iron tablets + vatimins = abt $30
e) post natal visit = $100
f) detail scan = abt $100 per scan

Total visits = 6 x ((a)+(b)+(c)+(d))= $702
Additional items = 100 + ((f)x2)= $300
Total package value = $1002

so hor.. in terms of estimated calculation if we take up the package, consider is worthwhile bah... :p

hope this helps

eh.. i dunn need to pay anything according to the nurse lah... part of the package mah... then hor... i read from some sites that detail scan is about 100 bucks... maybe next thurs i go ask the mt A pple how much is it worth.. then let you you okies?. :p

Hi all,
I chked with the nurse, we don't have to pay for the detail scan at Mt A.
The consultation & normal ultrasound is included in the package too...

Guess It is still worth to pay for the package.

Hi Grace,

can ask how many weeks r u in ? so u taking the iron and the multi-vits tablets from the package ? anything else to take ? it's my 1st pregnancy so vri blur...

rnjt
You can take the NeuroGain PB Plus fish oil too. I took it all the way till I given birth. If you are breastfeeding, you can still continue to take the fish oil.

I remember iron tablets were prescribed to me during my 2nd trimester. Dr Chen said since I dun drink milk (you need to drink up at least 2 glasses of milk per day) it is better for me to take calcium tablet instead. So I bought from her too. HTHs.

hi hi,

NeuroGain is $30 per bottle (30 pills).. calcium i dun know.. sorrie..cos i drink milkie.. :p

countdown 2 days before seeing baby again,,,,, yippie... :p

rnjt
Yup, Neurogain is $30 at the clinic. This evening I was at the pharmacy next to thye NTUC at Punggol Plaza, I saw them selling at $29. As for the calcium, I can't remember. Just a few dollars only.

hi all,

went to the detail scan yesterday at Mt A liao... i didn't pay for anything.. but i ask the doctor how much it will cost for such scans... she say its about $80 over lor...

hi coolqoo,
how is the scan like? clearer than the normal scan? Will they print extra fr you to keep?

Heard need to bring report back to clinic right?
What will Dr chen do after that?

Hi coolqoo,

I'll be goin for the detailed scan next week @ Mt.A
Very excited leh. Heard from the nurse that we have to wait for an hr @ Mt.A for the report.
How long is the detailed scan for your bb?
Any extra print?
What report? can peep or not :p
How different is the detailed scanning from the normal scan we had @ Dr Chen's clinic?
Did the doctor/nurse @ Mt.A explain to u abt the detailed scan (eg, ur bb's gender, progress etc)?

Hi Grace,

The detail scan arh... the screen looks like the normal scanning lor.. also black and white lah... just that it is link to a computer to record the measurements and also they can freeze half of the screen and continue scanning on the other half lor... hmm.. basically is the same kind of picture you see in Dr Chen's clinic lor...eh... seeing the different parts of baby needs some imagination lah.. hehe... the doctor point out to me this is which and which organs but i still cannot figure out leh... hehhe.. but my hubby say can see lor... or maybe i lack imagination lah... :p

oh.. you will need to wait for the report to come out lah.. basically hor.. the wait is like 1 hour lor.. what they will give you is 2 A4 paper of all the measurements that they took and remarks whether the baby is normal or not lah...

then they will also give you 2 x-ray type of film lor... with all the pictures of the brain, head, bladder, kidney.. etc etc that they took during the measurement lor...

Once you got the report, have to go back to Dr Chen's clinic lor... hmm.. but hor.. to me lah.. i think is not really necessary to go back to her lah... she just initial on the A4 size paper with all the measurements then return me 1 copy lor... then hor.. she didn't really take a good look at the x-ray film lor.. just say this is what and what lor... same as what the Doctor at the hospital say one lor...then ask me if there's any question i have or not lor..

come to think of it.. a bit fei to go back lor.. cos the hospital could have just fax over the measurements to her if everything is normal lor.. then we dun have to rush all the way from thomson to punggol... cos by the time we got the report at the hospital, it's already past my appointment time with Dr Chen liao lor... then the nurse told me to have to come before 1 pm cos the clinic closing liao... damn rush lor...

wow coolqoo,
thks for advise on the detailed scan.
At least it is over fr you... mine will be mid of this month....

hi grace and angel,

time will fly one lah... very very soon, before you know it, it's time for your detail scan liao lor.. heheh..

i'm expecting a gal.. EDD is like 15 Sep lor..
happy.gif

Hi ladies,

Juz spoken to my friend yesterday. Some tips to share...(but up to u).
1)Drink coconut water twice a week(real coconut, not canned drink) @ the very last stage of your pregnancy ie, 3 wks b4 ur EDD -> heard dat this will help to reduce the heatiness in ur body & ur bb will not have those peelings (like dandruff)on his/her head. I ve personally seen it on my nephew's head when he was few weeks old.
2) Do alot of walking after 8mth of pregnancy. Ez to push the bb out durin normal delivery. Normal delivery heals faster!
3) After normal delivery, try to get down the bed on the 2nd day & walk around even if the wound felt painful -> it helps to heal faster, otherwise, u will be asked to stay 1 more day in hospital.
4) Do not bathe with plain hot water durin confinement. Buy herbal from Chinese medical hall & cook the herbal for 2 hrs (big pot)for bathing & washing ur hair -> do not bathe everyday, once a week is good enough.

Last but not least, keep smiling! Ur bb receives all signals from mummy. Ur bb will be like u, smile often after he/she was borned. I have a terrible female boss & she kind of dislike me alot eversince i m pregnant (its a long story). I cried twice infront of her as she said something real nasty. Well, have to ignore that though..always tell myself, 4mth + to go & i will see my cutie boy. & now I am looking forward to my 3 mths maternity leave. Cheers every1! Stay positive.

thanks for the advise Angel... i also heard that drinking the coconut water at the later stage will make bb's skin smooth smooth wor... heheh...

oh.. i heard hor.. nearer to the EDD. walking of stairs will help in delivery... i read from a pregnancy fitness book which i borrowed from library... no harm trying lor. :p...

try to stay happy always lor.. maybe put some cute cute pics of babys on your desktop and look at them when you terrible boss ka chiao you again...:p

now in my 21st week liao.. but still not feeling baby's kick yet.. but hor.. tummy getting bigger and bigger by the days liao.... though i eat normally diet...must be my fats lah.. too thick until cannot feel baby kick... :p

when will be your next checkup?.. mine is on the 25th.. can't wait to see bb again...:p

Hi coolqoo,

I m now in my 19th week
happy.gif

My detailed scan at Mt.A is this coming Saturday..but will not rush back to see Dr Chen cos my appt is at 10am & gonna wait for an hr for the report. Have arranged with the nurse to see Dr Chen on 16th evening instead.

btw, i can feel my bb kicking me...& he loves to kick/punch me between 11plus to 1am :p
can't wait to see him
happy.gif

Hi gals,

I am also stay at Punggol 21. Just pay a visit to her yesterday. Find her quite a nice lady, also take a look on the previously post regarding the prenatal package.

As I'm still an early stage, still can take time to consider attach to which gynae. Is her price reasonable if compare with others private gynae?

Hi Angel,

So how was your detail scan?.. sorry.. didn't get to come here lately cos a bit busy with work,,...
I can feel my baby kicking liao.. also around 11pm the most active.. hehe... so cute one... :p

Hi Evelyn,
eh.. not really sure about other private gynae.. or maybe you wanna check out the northern hope at punggol plaza?.. not sure about the charges cos i lazy to research...:p

Or maybe you can go and search for other threads? Maybe will have more information

Hmm I am thinking of either one of the doctors below.

1)Dr Woo Bit Hwa-Northern Hope at Punggol Plaza
2)Dr Chen Chern Yi near Punggol Kopitiam
3)Dr Benjamin Tham @ Sengkang KKH Clinic
4)Dr Adrian Woodworth @ Sengkang MRT

Anyone has any advice? Thanks
happy.gif

Hello coolqoo,

my detailed scan took abt 45min..my bb not cooperative...haha kept moving around. The radiologist had a hard time measuring cos she needs my bb to be at the position where she can take the most accurate measurement. There are 2 sets of A4 size X-ray kind of pics for us to keep. Its permanent & won't fade away.
We get to see all the main organs, spine, the radiologist will also scan the bb's face features (eyeballs, nose, ears, upper & lower lips). But this time, we couldnt see the male genital. Now dunno boy or gal :p

Last weekend went to John Little sale but dare not buy anything for bb. All the cute designs are either in blue or pink.

Anyway, Dr Chen told me to wait till next visit & see if bb will open up the legs. So naughty, hope that its a boy
happy.gif

Hi all,
Just wonder have you all register for the childbirth education at Mt Avernia?
Do you post the pamplet to them or go the receptionist at Avernia to register?

Anyone now attending? How useful it is and what is the charges if husband joins in?

I went detailed scan last week. Scanning took about 30-45mins. However the waiting time is 1hr 30mins..... it caused me to rush back to clinic too. same thing, Dr Chen only explain the scan is normal and bb is healthy. Other then that , me and my hubby just ask questions. Really happy to see my bb face and movement. looking forward to next appt.

Back