Delivering at Mount Elizabeth Novena hospital

had contractions and a heavy show...my bb made a big drama...

7am starts contractions, but i thought nothing still went to work..since my gynae only opens her clinic at 2pm ytd, so i thought afternoon that go see her...who knows...
1pm+ starts to have show (bleeding), my colleague drove me over to MT E Novena, Dr Teo's clinic
2pm The moment I reached the lift lobby, starts to bleed down my legs...then I think I scared the nurses in Dr Teo's clinic becoz of that...
they settled me, clean me up then Dr Teo checked and say I already 3-4cm dilated, sent me down to the delivery suite, wanted to try to stop the contraction to prevent preterm labor.
4pm Dr visit me again, concluded that the pills are not working, I'm already 10cm dilated, she then say I'm going to deliver and burst my waterbag, then realised my bb in breeched position, buttock below, my bb haven't turn down all the while...so need to have emergency c-sect. Nurses were quick, went to prepare OT and stuffs and start pushing me to the OT
who knows, haven't reach OT entrance, my bb hurry to come out already...
4.30pm In OT, just after they managed to get me onto the OT table, Dr Teo assessed and say bb too low in position also dangerous to c-sect...end up natural birth, just pushed him out...no time for epidural or anything...

ends up the nurses in the OT were so confused, come out say "no c-sect, natural birth"...my hubby got a big shock, he was getting ready outside the OT, waiting to be called in to accompany me for the c-sect, but in less than 10mins, nurses come out and tell him I delivered already...he was in total confusion, thought the nurses got the wrong daddy...lol

As for the experience with Dr Teo...this is my 2nd bb with her..i like her as she's good and calm in her explanation..and this time round, she's very decisive in her assessment..the moment she thinks i need a c-sect, she immediately get the consent form, explain to me about the risk clearly and calmly. Then in OT, when she decide then I should push, she calm me down (i was crying and screaming becoz of the pain)..then explan quick but calmly..i really trusted her...crying was only becoz of the pain, not becoz of the drama (she thought i was scared)...

As for the experience in Mt E Novena..the atmosphere is good..definitely better than TMC, my #1 was in TMC, i agree on the mass production part and they increase price like nobody's business but the service level keep going down, and the staffs there were not friendly.. in Mt E Novena, the staffs are all very friendly, when u talk to them, you feel calm n happy...but I agree with the previous comments...the staffs are quite short-handed even though not many patients here (now only 4-5 mummies?), hence sometimes requests may have to wait...not sure about nursery as my bb is in nicu, haven't get to deal with nursery staffs.. if u like quiet atmosphere..here is a good environment..the food are quite good....there's more choices for hubby...my hubby going to have lamb shank tonight...i was drooling when i saw the menu...waiting to see the food later..

hope the experience helps...

had contractions and a heavy show...my bb made a big drama...

7am starts contractions, but i thought nothing still went to work..since my gynae only opens her clinic at 2pm ytd, so i thought afternoon that go see her...who knows...
1pm+ starts to have show (bleeding), my colleague drove me over to MT E Novena, Dr Teo's clinic
2pm The moment I reached the lift lobby, starts to bleed down my legs...then I think I scared the nurses in Dr Teo's clinic becoz of that...
they settled me, clean me up then Dr Teo checked and say I already 3-4cm dilated, sent me down to the delivery suite, wanted to try to stop the contraction to prevent preterm labor.
4pm Dr visit me again, concluded that the pills are not working, I'm already 10cm dilated, she then say I'm going to deliver and burst my waterbag, then realised my bb in breeched position, buttock below, my bb haven't turn down all the while...so need to have emergency c-sect. Nurses were quick, went to prepare OT and stuffs and start pushing me to the OT
who knows, haven't reach OT entrance, my bb hurry to come out already...
4.30pm In OT, just after they managed to get me onto the OT table, Dr Teo assessed and say bb too low in position also dangerous to c-sect...end up natural birth, just pushed him out...no time for epidural or anything...

ends up the nurses in the OT were so confused, come out say "no c-sect, natural birth"...my hubby got a big shock, he was getting ready outside the OT, waiting to be called in to accompany me for the c-sect, but in less than 10mins, nurses come out and tell him I delivered already...he was in total confusion, thought the nurses got the wrong daddy...lol

As for the experience with Dr Teo...this is my 2nd bb with her..i like her as she's good and calm in her explanation..and this time round, she's very decisive in her assessment..the moment she thinks i need a c-sect, she immediately get the consent form, explain to me about the risk clearly and calmly. Then in OT, when she decide then I should push, she calm me down (i was crying and screaming becoz of the pain)..then explan quick but calmly..i really trusted her...crying was only becoz of the pain, not becoz of the drama (she thought i was scared)...

As for the experience in Mt E Novena..the atmosphere is good..definitely better than TMC, my #1 was in TMC, i agree on the mass production part and they increase price like nobody's business but the service level keep going down, and the staffs there were not friendly.. in Mt E Novena, the staffs are all very friendly, when u talk to them, you feel calm n happy...but I agree with the previous comments...the staffs are quite short-handed even though not many patients here (now only 4-5 mummies?), hence sometimes requests may have to wait...not sure about nursery as my bb is in nicu, haven't get to deal with nursery staffs.. if u like quiet atmosphere..here is a good environment..the food are quite good....there's more choices for hubby...my hubby going to have lamb shank tonight...i was drooling when i saw the menu...waiting to see the food later..

hope the experience helps...
Haha Ur baby really drama!

Thank you Meowmunmy for the great sharing. Feel so assured now. Have a good rest... N recover fast. More hard times ahead

If u can dun tak epi its a gd deal.i ended up tak epi so nt cheap.
Its extra lik abt 600 for package+abt 500 for epi doc fees.though i nt sure nw mount A epi doc fees hw much. My #1 was delivered 5yrs ago at mount A so difc to compare.
The billing not itemised but looks lik no other extra charges
-Normal delivery with epi include all doc fees plus nursery, aft minus 2100 medisave,cash i pay abt 4k

From my understanding, medisave can deduct $1650 on hospital charges & $950 on Gynea. Total $2600.
Ur Gynea $1.9k is b4 medisave deduction or after?

Wow.. After $2100 medisave, still have to pay $4k cash? That's a lot? You total bill is $6k + So stay is $3100, gynae is $1900 & epidural is $600.n the rest is miscellaneous.

Ur gynae $1900 is just for delivery or all the pre natal checks as well? Sorry for all the questions..

@Meowmunmy86, congrats! your delivery process is so fast and memorable. Hope you are resting well and share more with us when you have time.
Happy confinement!

Thanks mummies...i'm now back home, but bb still in nicu...

just some afternote on the hospital stay...

1. the discharge took hours becoz of the bill..my hubby waited quite awhile at the queue, then have some doubts about the bill, end up it took us near to 3hrs to settle the bill... but the person who eventually took over was professional enough to handle.. partly, the confusions about the bill was becoz of my bb's delivery drama.. a bit of frustration there, but my hubby commented that the overall stay was much better than TMC last year.. and all my visitors commented that MNH looks more like a hotel than hospital..lol

2. As my bb still needs to stay in nicu for some time to monitor, and most important to gain weight, the doc and nurses actually advised us on alternative such as to transfer bb to a restructured hospital in order to save cost.. the assistant director of nursing even shared based on her experience roughly how long my bb will need to stay in nicu and the rough cost if continues in MNH.. i personally prefer my bb to continue to stay there, have yet to check out the restructured hospitals... but the bill is really a worrying part..

3. Mummies who decided to stay in MNH..on the day of discharge, although they state discharge before 11AM, don't be in a rush to go...they provide lunch on the last day too...rmb to have the lunch before leaving.. i miss their food.. :) also, if you have too many gifts/ hampers from your visitors, can get the staffs to help to bring down to your car... no need to be like my hubby, trying to be hero and carry 4 bags himself...

Thanks mummies...i'm now back home, but bb still in nicu...

just some afternote on the hospital stay...

1. the discharge took hours becoz of the bill..my hubby waited quite awhile at the queue, then have some doubts about the bill, end up it took us near to 3hrs to settle the bill... but the person who eventually took over was professional enough to handle.. partly, the confusions about the bill was becoz of my bb's delivery drama.. a bit of frustration there, but my hubby commented that the overall stay was much better than TMC last year.. and all my visitors commented that MNH looks more like a hotel than hospital..lol

2. As my bb still needs to stay in nicu for some time to monitor, and most important to gain weight, the doc and nurses actually advised us on alternative such as to transfer bb to a restructured hospital in order to save cost.. the assistant director of nursing even shared based on her experience roughly how long my bb will need to stay in nicu and the rough cost if continues in MNH.. i personally prefer my bb to continue to stay there, have yet to check out the restructured hospitals... but the bill is really a worrying part..

3. Mummies who decided to stay in MNH..on the day of discharge, although they state discharge before 11AM, don't be in a rush to go...they provide lunch on the last day too...rmb to have the lunch before leaving.. i miss their food.. :) also, if you have too many gifts/ hampers from your visitors, can get the staffs to help to bring down to your car... no need to be like my hubby, trying to be hero and carry 4 bags himself...

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope your baby can go home soon :)

Hello mummies and mummies to be!
I'm considering delivering at Mt E novena too.
Their package price for normal with epidural 3 days 2 night stay is about $3.7k.
Did some research online and surprised to find people paying (at the end of everything) $7-10k. And also from rainbowzstarz.
Even with the gynae charges taken off, it's still quite a big difference from what was printed on the price list they provided.
Would love to hear from those who have delivered there recently.
Thank u!!

Hello Mummies,

I am considering Mt E Novena for my delivery as well as recommend by my gynec.. asking me to try it out..
Had compared the price for TMC and Mt E Novena.. for my case, i am having twins... surprising over at TMC they don't have any twin delivery package.. they charge as per baby... as for Mt E Novena, Yes do they have package for twin delivery and its a guarantee SINGLE BED ROOM once confirmed the bed with them. Their package price quite attractive as well. Had spoken to the staff over the phone.. the staff sounded very friendly and professional. :) i will be going to the maternity tour this june 10....wan to have a look before really deciding... :)

For those who had delivered there, was there any tie up with AIA on any insurance plans? I recall I heard an agent mention something like that at a roadshow.

I was admitted on mon aftnoon but delivered on tue (past midnight). Based on our understanding, the package is for 3D2N and hence shld be discharged on Wed (includes mon). However, the nurse told us we should discharge on Thu as the 3 days start from the day i delivered (tue). Confused, we checked with the business office who also said discharge wld be on Thu.
When we went to settle the bill after discharge on thu, there was an additional billing of $500++ for an extra night of stay.
In the end (aft a few days) they did waive off the extra day charge but we still have to pay for the extra day treatment fee of $100+.

Mine was normal delivery with epi. In total, aft deducting medisave, I paid almost $4.8k including drs fees.

The staff was generally helpful though there are the not so good ones.
Overall it's quiet over there. I think only a few rooms were occupied.

Their package price for normal with epidural 3 days 2 night stay is about $3.7k.
Did some research online and surprised to find people paying (at the end of everything) $7-10k. And also from rainbowzstarz.
Even with the gynae charges taken off, it's still quite a big difference from what was printed on the price list they provided.
Thank u!!

What is included in 7-10k? Is this amt before or after medisave claimable?

What is included in 7-10k? Is this amt before or after medisave claimable?
Hi

The $7-$10k includes everything from doc fees to hospital charges.

There wasn't much details given from what I read so am hopeful that those who have recently gave birth there can share some details. :)

I was admitted on mon aftnoon but delivered on tue (past midnight). Based on our understanding, the package is for 3D2N and hence shld be discharged on Wed (includes mon). However, the nurse told us we should discharge on Thu as the 3 days start from the day i delivered (tue). Confused, we checked with the business office who also said discharge wld be on Thu.
When we went to settle the bill after discharge on thu, there was an additional billing of $500++ for an extra night of stay.
In the end (aft a few days) they did waive off the extra day charge but we still have to pay for the extra day treatment fee of $100+.

Mine was normal delivery with epi. In total, aft deducting medisave, I paid almost $4.8k including drs fees.

The staff was generally helpful though there are the not so good ones.
Overall it's quiet over there. I think only a few rooms were occupied.

4.8k? I'm opting for the package similar to u which is normal delivery with epi. After deducting the medisave and including the doc fees and etc. I worked out to a total of 3.3 to 3.5k. Are there any other additional charges?

I just went Gynae check up today and he said he feel it's better in MNH than mount a such that a lot of patients from TMC are transferring to mount a for deliveries. And he brought a lot of nurses fr mount A to MNH but mount A never "top up their staff" so it's considered understaff at Mount A now. That's his view so I'm not sure how accurate this info is....

I'm also contemplating these 2 hospitals and now 34wks so nurses asked me Gota make decision Liao.. Any recent deliveries at either hospital?

I guess we are still deciding on whether to choose MNH for delivery mainly the deciding factor to be the overall cost. From the recent reviews, the cost of bill come about 4-5k after medisave deduction. Any other mommies who have delivered there already to share your views on MNH? Is the manpower and admin matters better now?

Room, of mt e nov better, it's newer :) on the whole, feel that mt A has a family kind of cozy atmosphere compared to mt e nov which feels like a hotel.

I delivered my baby on end Apr and total bill ard 7K. after medisave need to fork out cash 4K plus.

i admitted in hospital on 26th apr 12am and discharge on 28th noon. it is consider 3D 2N. but one whole day stay in labor ward to induce labour...

The room is quiet like stay in hotel. but the admin officer is very new.

Admin office charged me a blood test which i was not aware. after i raise the question, they just waive from bill. like trying to anyhow charge the bill.

the goodies bag is very little ....only few diapers sample and toiletries samples. that's all.

Hi Chromatin, congrats! What about the lactation nurse & the usual nurses? Do they come by often to help out? The food?

Is this your 1st baby? Overall, will you choose Mt E Novena again? Thanks for sharing!

hi @leocub, yes he is my 1st child.

regarding the lactation nurse.. i m not sure are they don't have service on Sunday since my baby born on sunday.
the lactation consultant attend to me on monday morning when i m preparing to discharge.
she just give me some guidelines on nursing position only. in the end i get more advice and assistance from NUH lactation consultant while my poor baby admitted becos of Jaundice.

for the usual nurse in labor ward was full of experience. heard some of them are from other hospital.
they manage to help me push my baby out in the end cos i totally no energy after 12 hours contraction.

Hi all, i wanted to deliver at Mt E too but it seems like the charges are too expensive. I have blacklist KKH so the next best choice will be either NUH or Mt. A. What do you think?

i will be going for hospi tour and hopefully can find out more abt the cost too. Maybe if its not too far off TMC one bedder (with companion cost added in), can consider.
Really hate the parking at TMC. looks like not much people give birth at Mt E Novena.

Thank u!!

Hello. I had my 2nd child at Mt E Novena, C-section. My total bill was $6k+including baby charges, excluding my dr's fee.

Attached is the brochure on their maternity packages. Note, if you deviate from the package (eg. extra night for normal delivery, etc), your charges will sky-rocket coz there's no discount on their per-night stay.

I chose Mt E Novena coz it's newer and cheaper* than TMC, and I like that there's plenty of parking lots for my hubby and guests, plus it's next to Novena train station. I also like the natural lighting that fills the room during the day - it does get a little too bright & hot though.

But, I wouldn't recommend Mt E Novena for first-time mummies. Their staff may be experienced but they don't seem to work "together". Lots of screw-ups, food was terrible (I found TMC to be much better), admission and check-out/billing process sucks big time (TMC brought the bill to my room to check on the day I checked out), night-time nurses and care is not as good as TMC.

*TMC charges extra for your spouse to stay with you.

Attachments

• Mt_E_Novena_Maternity_Package_2014.pdf
    693.3 KB · Views: 3,966
@smallooh, thanks for sharing. But your fee is before medisave right?
Surprisingly the fees is cheaper than TMC. But like you say, the add-ons might be a bit steep and you never know how they going to or what they going to charge given that they are so new.

Can share about the food? U having the same food every day? or do they let u choose what you want to eat?

Hi I'm a 1st time mtb, EDD in Dec. I'm torn btw Mt A & Mt E @ Novena. Seems like most took package for c-sec. Anyone who went thru natural birth? Can you share your experience with me pls?
I went for the maternity tour, I've to say aesthetically, MEN beats MA hands-down. the sound proof single-bedders beckons me :) BUT i'm not sure about the midwives and lactation consultant. Being a 1st time mum, i think i will need all the support and experienced help i can get, especially in the delivery room...

Hi I'm a 1st time mtb, EDD in Dec. I'm torn btw Mt A & Mt E @ Novena. Seems like most took package for c-sec. Anyone who went thru natural birth? Can you share your experience with me pls?
I went for the maternity tour, I've to say aesthetically, MEN beats MA hands-down. the sound proof single-bedders beckons me :) BUT i'm not sure about the midwives and lactation consultant. Being a 1st time mum, i think i will need all the support and experienced help i can get, especially in the delivery room...
Hi, mine was natural birth at MEN. Can refer to my feedback on MEN:
http://fatmomma35.blogspot.sg/2014/07/my-journey-with-mt-elizabeth-novena.html?m=1

Hi, mine was natural birth at MEN. Can refer to my feedback on MEN:
http://fatmomma35.blogspot.sg/2014/07/my-journey-with-mt-elizabeth-novena.html?m=1

Thanks for replying to my post. Was that your 1st pregnancy?
I'm apprehensive as I read reviews about MEN e.g. tardiness in services, inaccurate bills, lack of response to queries (i experienced this 1st-hand when I emailed them basic fundamental queries on delivering at MEN. There was no response until I made a call to the office, and after a no. of emails, I finally my reply though not all questions were answered to the point).

Have the patient office gotten back to you on your billing queries? Would you say that the support given (from the nurses, midwives & lactation consultant) is adequate for a 1st time mummy? By the way, did you go back to the PD @ MEN aft you were discharged?

Thanks for replying to my post. Was that your 1st pregnancy?
I'm apprehensive as I read reviews about MEN e.g. tardiness in services, inaccurate bills, lack of response to queries (i experienced this 1st-hand when I emailed them basic fundamental queries on delivering at MEN. There was no response until I made a call to the office, and after a no. of emails, I finally my reply though not all questions were answered to the point).

Have the patient office gotten back to you on your billing queries? Would you say that the support given (from the nurses, midwives & lactation consultant) is adequate for a 1st time mummy? By the way, did you go back to the PD @ MEN aft you were discharged?

Yes, they got back to me alrdy thou they took sometime. Support is definitely good...at least for a 1st time mummy like me. I had no comparison to make but I was well taken care by the nurses, midwives and LC. I went back to the PD for follow ups but vaccination I took at polyclinic.

Hi all,

May I know if Mt E Novena will give bathtub or tummy binder for mummy?

Mt A have a sent off gift bag for new mummy (bathtub, bags, those necessaries to prep new mummy)

Do they have that over at Mt E Novena?

Hi is the LC very impt? I'm more concern abt nurses n midwife at mt e novena..

My edd is next yr.. Anybody knows if they will increase charges or anything ??

Many of their nurses were from mt a. They are pretty experienced and know what they are doing during my stay. There's also lc but I can't compare with lc from other hospitals

Back