Cooking Tips & Recipe

lyn,
Thanks for the book recommendation.
I saw 2 copies of it avail at the library. Will get it on Wed
happy.gif

Hang in there! It'll get better! I also don't know how my mum coped with my 2 sisters and I when my twin brothers arrived last time.
She said she was sometimes so tired out in the night that she ended up feeding the same boy twice... hee, only realised it when the other boy kept crying nonstop!

Choc,
I just bought the probiotics from Nature Farm today... the Kyo-Dophilus one right?
They're having a promo now... selling at $40.60 instead of the usual $56.
So if you need to re-stock it, it's a good time to do so
happy.gif

Good morning gals !

Yes, soph, that's the acidophilus I bought, they have the other capsule form with 9 types of acidophilus. I use that when we have diarrhea and when I have yeast infection. Thanks, will prob stock up. I add it into didi's milk every morning, but making sure the milk is not too hot.

Think I must make the apple soup too, recently the weather s so hot. Thanks
happy.gif

I spank my kids on their buttocks when they don't listen 2nd or third time.
Like that day, didi spat water on the floor several times, I "piack" his hands and told him " No spitting" , he nodded his head and cried. Then I hugged him and told him he'll slip and fall. After that, he didn't do it again.
I do admit, sometimes I spank out of anger and feel so terrible aft that
sad.gif
, I also have a naughty chair for him to sit on,it's like "time out" for him.. sigh! Really need wisdom to teach these children.

Hey lyn, ya, initially not easy to cope, esp when you have twins(I love twins), really can imagine how you felt when you "sub" aloy to your mum in jb.. Think with a helper, your workload should be much relieved. My unfolded clothes are always piling up too..

Have been using your recipes for soup. Like watercress and blackbeans combi, find your soup very nutritious. If I ta pow food from outside, I'll just make one soup..

Ask you hor.. I'm keen to try carrot juice to prevent jaundice for no.4, did you get any tinge of yellowness on your skin ?

Hey joy, what you cooking today ? Me, got no idea!

Hey girls,
What are you cooking today?
I'm inspired by the revival of this thread... been cooking for the last few days.
Today will probably do a macaroni soup for Soph's and my own lunch.

Choc,
Looks like I must go get a naughty chair then!
happy.gif

lyn,
What goat milk formula are you feeding Yu now?
I tried Karihome FM and fresh goat milk from Hays, but Soph doesn't like them. Tried Isomil soy FM on her but she doesn't like it either.
She doesn't mind fresh cow's milk, but I noticed phlegm and a dried skin patch (eczema?) on her nose when she took it.

Am wondering if there are other brands of goat FM that may not stink so much? Goat's milk really stink man! ;)

Haha.. agree with you Husk, goat's milk stinks !
I find Gain IQ quite good, so far no. 3 is responding well to it..not much phlegm. No. 2 developed lots of phlegm aft taking dumex and fresh cow's milk. I guess also depends on individuals. No. 1 has no problems with whatever brand of milk and ice cream.

I'm making apple soup( recipe you posted) and fried noodles..

Nowadays, I also add rolled oats, linseeds, millet, wild rice and barley seeds into rice. Wild rice got to soak a little while before cooking. At first , the children didn't like the taste, but aft a while, they got used to it. Since the rice is nutritious enough, dishes can be very simple.

choc
Me not into cooking these days, esp next two weeks as my gal is having mid year exam and will leave maid to cook simple food for my gal.

Hi ladies,

Today is all veggies for me. Will be making cabbage with tanghoon, xiao bai cai with oyster sauce, fry eggs with long bean and porriage. This week was watching my diet cos seeing gynae on saturday. Yesterday also veggies for dinner, broccoli with capsicum and taukwa, another dish is chyesim. For my kids will have extra steam egg with mince meat. All simple dishes, hee.... Was thinking of making chicken soup with conch + huai shan tomorrow, I make this soup quite frequently,is very sweet and yummy, recipe from a blogger given by you mommies here.

choc,
I cooked the frozen yam with porriage. I like it but my sons dislike it hee...they prefer with rice.

lyn,
will try carrot juice too hee....

Cooked macaroni with diced carrots, potatoes and some other veggies for lunch today... bad move! I didn't know the San Remo macaroni is so tough! End up Soph didn't really eat much cos took a long time for her to chew
sad.gif

Choc,
Yep, I also add millet, wild rice, quinoa, amaranth or barley into my rice.
One of the grains you should try is amaranth... It's an ancient Aztec grain, complete in protein and high in calcium and iron. It's actually the bits of seeds from the flower of the small bunches of yim choi, or wild bayam (Malay), but without the nitrates found in spinach
happy.gif

Organic stores sell them in packs. Don't put too much cos it's got a very distinctive taste and some kids may not like it. I only put 2tsps into rice for 2 persons.

Hmm.... I actually don't feel like giving cow FM cos I read that goat milk is actually closer to bm, except that it's a little low in folic acid.
Then yesterday while surfing the net, read that homogenized milk not so good... jialat, dunno what I'm gonna wean Soph onto!

Joy,
How are you settling your meals these 2 weeks then?

annlee,
The soup recipe is from the ellena guan blog yeah? Her soups are really quite yummy!
Recently saw a posting on marmalade roast chicken, also feel like trying soon!
Woah, I also feel like going vegetarian today... think will ask hubby to tabao veggie brown rice for me
happy.gif

Huskie

good question...I hardly eat esp when hubby is out of town.I can survive by eating bread, chocolate or simple noodles...or go out walk around and buy something to eat if i really feel like eating.....

Annlee,
heee.. think at the rate i am putting on weight, i will be 25kg heavier again for this pregnancy.
am thinking hard how to solve the jealousy issue, especially my boy is very sensitive whenever we mention didi or mei mei now.

Choc,
my friend got one china ah yi (pei du ma ma) to go to her place for abt 8hours a day fm mon-fri at $900. she likes it that way as no need for a stranger to stay overnight at her place.
Agree with u on letting go and closing one eyes on things. i used to be very hard on myself and now with no 2 coming.. trying to relax... and close both eyes at times. and its really true that 'time with children can't wait'. they are just growing up so fast.
that day my boy was crying after we scolded him for playing with the electrical sockets, and he went to the living room mirror to look at himself cry. then pause to pose then cry again.... like trying to find the best crying pose. we were crying so hard not to laugh out loud and have to pretend to look angry and serious still. think all these moments are priceless and as ftwm, i am missing a lot.

huskie,
u reckon the apple soup recipe can be replaced with pear? cos my hb dun like apple soup.
the little treasure box for little sophie will have so many memories. heee... i am keeping something similar also. but wondering will boys appreciate.
heard fm friends that there's one special fm fm meadjohnson that prevents eczema and allergies in children. but its not commonly found in singapore. pd will need to order it and shiped fm netherlands. maybe u can check with yr pd if u intend to wean sophie on to cow formula milk.

Starz,
Ayden so cute! Can even bring hankie to clean belle's drool. heee...'s a sweet boy.
fm the photos can see that he is a big boy now.
think maybe ayden will like belle more when belle is older and able to play with him.
just like how choc's children can play together.
belle looks so cheerful and smiley.
happy.gif

and pls do flood our thread with more photos.
heee.. its natural once we start talking abt our children we cannot stop. hmmm.. maybe that's the reason why our single friends feel that we have become different....

lyn,
u are one supermum.
went to yr blog.
pls dun be too hard on yrself. u are already doing everything u can for yr children! give yrself a pat on yr shoulders and congrat yrself.
and happy 1st month to B&C.
happy.gif

Thanks for the tip on Nara restuarant... heee... i am craving for jap food. especially sashimi.
am still eating sashimi (cos gynae says as long as i think its very fresh, go ahead) and hum and all the forbidden food.. jia luk....

Joy,
heee.. u saving all the stomach space and feast when yr hb is in town? ;)

Re : Malay Massage Lady
Can anyone recommend malay massage lady pls.
sigh... must think of how to get back in shape after giving birth.
thanks in advance.

Hey annlee and cookie, I have to watch my diet too ! heehee, gynae checked my weight at wk 12 and commented that I have put on quite alot and asked me to try putting on only 1kg for 4 weeks! Thought that's going to be tough. Anyway, during my 1st tri, I snacked so much to prevent MS until I put on so much!

annlee, your dishes look so good with porridge..I always run out of idea what dishes to go with porridge, and then open a can of all time favourite, preserved chyesim . Wah, yam with porridge sounds interesting!

Wow husk, didn't hear of amaranth before.. thanks for the reco. Today's apple soup was yummy! I added 1 cob of corn which I found in my fridge..The whole pot of soup is gone and no.3 likes it best..

Hey joy, forgot how old your dd is .. Mine is pri 2 , yah.. exams next week and these few days got to keep her body heat down esp with HFMD cases on the rise and my neighbour has chickenpox
sad.gif

Eh cookie, your boy so cute, haha.. still can cry and pose in front of mirror.. do you know the gender of no.2 yet ? Was also thinking about adding pears into the apple soup, my sis' helper says it's nice too.

Choc06

My girl in p3 this year. Talking about heat, she already had high fever last fri and I was so kan cheong...

She postpond her chinese oral and did it today....her fever drop but yesterday her cough was terrible....

Now, okay after going once to western doctor and three times to chinese doctor.....

war will begin whole of next week....

huskie,
yes...you're right, is ellena guan. Have forgotten her name and lost some of the web link ever since my hb change new pc. Do you have the link that store the recipe and picture specially for the mommies here?
Me also never heard amaranth before, sounds very healthy grain, will check it out when in organic shop.

choc,
preserved chyesim is one of my favourite too and preserved bean curb. Surprisingly organic shop sells organic preserved bean curb and fermented red rice wine residue.Will get fermenteed red rice when doing confinement.

Joy,
can share with your massage lady too, was looking around for a good one.

Cookie,
you can try khatjah (98001394) and siti (91460613). Both I have never try it before, read good comments about them esp khatjah but some complain she's alway late and like to change appt but she good in massage. You can try their skill doing pre-natal massage.
hey...I'm also craving for Jap food...just had my sashimi on monday lunch. Hum and oyster not so safe leh...

annlee

sure will pm you

Ramen

Friend was telling me somewhere next to horse brand birdnest shop, there is a very nice ramen shop...anyone know where....

Hey Joy, agree with you.. WAR will begin next week
sad.gif
sad.gif
So fast your dd P3 liao! Got to do science this yr

Hey annlee, I have tried the organic bean curd also, my hb calls it chinese butter. How much is the organic rice wine ? will find that for my confinement too.

Wonder where are the rest of the makan and cooking kakis ...

Choc06

Yours p2, is it competitive over there?

Yes,my gal is doing science this year, new syllubus somemore...am trying my best to guide her ...will see how it turns out....

Joy, it's not so competitive here. One thing I seldom talk to other parents in school,so dunno their standard, hehe..
Also "studying" with no. 1 now.. suddenly all the careless mistakes are out, making me panic !Next Wednesday , all be over, hurray !

Gooday!

choc06

my gal taking a break and play with younger brother now. they have now been playing together since last fri as she was really ill and was separated....

Run through all the higher chinese papers...cannot spot questions now as her school from p3onwards are very out of the text...very close meanings for words...to create confusion...more words for choice means more tricky....just make her did one picture compo, cannot finish within 40 mins, exceed by 5 mins for last paragraph...still has to work hard to pace up, maybe she write too slow....any advice here?

Hey Joy, sigh! My dd1's chinese also tak boleh! Her zhao4 ju4 is also translated from ang moh ! Was thinking if copying and memorizing chinese model compos and to give her sentences from dictation everyday helps in future?

I think exceeding 5 mins still ok,cos the tr will give extra time as compo is new to pri 3 students?
My dd told me she couldn't finish her math paper last yr and was given 5 ,10 mins more

One of my friend's dd is ang moh pai, doesn't speak chinese at all and she got distinction for chinese in PSLE. She swears by ting1 xie3 and memorizing phrases..
I think my hb and I speak too little chinese to our kids too.. ( Sorry to digress, makan kakis)

Boiling si4 sen2 soup today with pork , read it's supposed to boost appetite and good for this hot weather.

(Sorry to digress again, dunno if this is stale news.. hehe.. popular is selling some nice children's vcd for 5 bucks, titles like postman pat, old macdonald's farm, angelina ballerina etc..( my dds like angelina ballerina cos they have read these books from the library, very girlish stories tho)

cookie,
I'm not sure if apples can be replaced with pears leh... anyway, can't taste much of apples once it's boiled into the soup!
Thanks for info on the meadjohonson FM... will check it out.

annlee,
Here's the food blog again
happy.gif

http://ellenaguan.blogspot.com/

Choc,
Yeah, I read in a Montessori book that age 2 is when "language explosion" happens. So at this age, must start to speak to baby in bilingual languages.... Dr. Maria Montessori recommends 1 parent to speak 1 language to baby.
Think you can start Chinese with your didi now
happy.gif

Wow, Pop VCDs are cheap!
I also bought some VCDs last weekend from Poh Kim... hee, Jap animation VCDs cos the storyline seems quite nice. And suaku me didn't know VCD can choose language now! Can choose between Jap or Chinese! I thought only DVD can do that.
Cheap too... $6.90 for 6 dics!

What is si sen soup? Where can I buy the herbs?

lyn,
Happy 1st month to Berenice and Charlene!!!
happy.gif

Wow! congrats 1st month to your your twinnies
happy.gif

Husk, si sen contains lotus seeds(lian zi), si sen, yu4 zhu2, dried hua shan and fu2 lin2 pian4. They sell the pre packed herbs in the chinese med hall.
So, normally, I'll buy individually packed herbs and mix them myself. Liu4 Wei4 tang also has almost the similar herbs, but has longans and I think something else which I forgot.. hehe..

I think some brown rice powder has si sen added so that it's not so heaty.

Eh, I didn't know about the bi lingual vcds too.. til some kids told me .. haha..
Barney is showing now every fri from 1 pm. Think little soph will like it. Yah, must start speaking mandarin more to my kids now !

choc,
I didn't know si sen contains those ingreds that you mention ha...thought is 1 kind of herb or grain. My MIL used to buy 1 tin of si sen fen from Eu ren seng for my son and say is good for lung or brain or to improve appetite, can't remember. Liu wei tang reminds me of my mum soup, hee..

huskie,
I mean the link for the mommies here that contain our picture and recipe. I think anne create it and she will add the recipe into the file. I have lost it so can't access to it.

Joy,
Thank you for the contact!
happy.gif

lyn,
congrats 1st month to your twins!!

lyn, congrats on yr lovely twins!!! they are so lovely! you are really super mum to manage on your own! :D

this thread is so happening, so good to see everyone here again! hmm, seems everyone has "moved on" to more kids and more cooking, me err not yet.
lame.gif

hey gals,
What have you been cooking?
Today I made the spicy korean rice cake for lunch. Rice cake was nice, not the overly chewy type. Bought them from a Korean lady at Beauty World.

This week is exam week for the kids yeah? Good luck!

Choc,
I made Si sen soup today
happy.gif
bought the soup pack from NTUC. Hope Soph will like it.

Huskie, hope soph likes the si sen soup. Liu wei tang tastes as good too. My mum uses fried threadfin at times, and dried mushrooms into the soup and it tastes much better and creamy! But the hassle of frying the fish ! It was my canton great grandfather's recipe..

Wow! your korean rice cake sounds good leh, I like chewy food! Have you heard of japanese "nato" beans? Heard it's really high in proteins and very nutritious. My friend adds them into cooked multi grain rice eats it with seaweed. It doesn't smell good but is tasty.

Joy, I think your boy is like my no.2 , very heaty body. My no.2 used to have high fevers every month in the past, or once she eats something heaty, the next day, she'll have sore throat.If she doesn't drink enough water, fever will develop. So, everyday, I monitor her water intake and have a big bottle of water in front of her. Sigh! very free of me to do that!

My friend's son is also like that, so she bought many soup recipe books to tiao2 her son's body. Eg pumpkin soup(her fav), winter melon, lotus root soup.. Now her 8 yr old son is ok..

Recently she told me to boil peanut plant soup for my no.2 , saying it's good for immunity. Then some aunties told me that it speeds up growth hormones and girls reaching puberty will find certain body parts develop more quickly ;). So,I refrained my p5 and sec1 nieces from drinking it.. haha..

Hi sp, how you doing ? what have you been cooking? Was thinking about the restaurant in KL, Jalan alok or something like that, they serve very good crabs and seafood... slurps

Joy,
thanks for the pm
happy.gif

maybe u can let yr girl suck on 'pao sheng' during the exam period? suppose to reduce heatiness and also 'ti shen'. but think its quite bitter, not sure if yr girl will like the taste of it.
sigh... its so stressful for the children and parents now...

Choc,
thanks for the pm also
happy.gif

we have license to put on weight now and hope alot of the weight goes to baby. hee... then after that we jia you together to lose all the weight. i asked my gynae is it alright for me to put on so much weight since i am over weight to being with. and he actually told me is alright to go ahead and eat. be happy and have a happy baby. weight lose come later after giving birth. he did not even ask me to diet... jia luk... approval to eat somemore.
hee... preserved chye sim + preserved mustard vege + marmite... favourite for porridge
can i check with u should i put as much water into the rice as cooking normal rice?
i tried cooking the yam rice yesterday but was too mushy and soggy. wondering is i put too much water or the yam was overcooked before i put into the rice cooker or too much yam. heee.. the taste was good though but i need to improve.
happy.gif

saw on a taiwanese tv programe that this soup is quite not to heaty... tried cooking last night and not bad.
corn + carrot + konbu + raddish + fresh huai shan + yu zhu + mi zao. taste quite nice.

The liu wei tang - can drink when breastfeeding?
hmm... maybe by putting in threadfin will have same effect as the papaya fish soup said to increase milk supply?

annlee,
thanks for the contacts.
happy.gif

heee.. not safe but really cannot help it as the cravings for it is too strong...
heee... but i control but not asking for extra hums in my laksa and chao kway tiao now.

SP,
finally u apprear!
how are u doing? anymore cooking adventures?

Huskie,
can i know which part of beauty world did u get the rice cake fm? and how abt the spicy sauce, how do u make it?
hee... need step by step cooking guide.

Choc,
Yep, I bought natto before... just threw the balance out yesterday... taste too strong leh, I cannot take it. Almost fermented like alcohol.
But if you want high-protein soy bean, tempeh is just as good leh. Actually, the protein in soy beans is more easily absorbed after fermentation that's why natto and tempeh are high in protein.

Wow, I didn't know si sen can cook with fried threadfin and dried mushrooms? It sounds yummy compared to the boring old prok soup. I'll try it some other time! Thanks for tips.

cookie,
This taiwanese tv program soup... how to cook the konbu? Just put in with the rest of the ingredients, or must cook stock with konbu separately then discard konbu?

As for the rice cake, I got it from the one (not sure centre or plaza?) with the hawker centre upstairs and also peranakan food and Green on Earth Cafe. The Korean shop should be on the 3rd floor, i.e. 1 floor down from the hawker centre level... right at the corner.
It's opened by a Korean lady who makes her own rice cake. She'll give you lots of sweet rice cake samples to try too! As for sauce, I bought a pack of ready made one from her, but if you have the gochujiang, you can actually make it yourself by adding in rice vinegar, sugar etc.
She's got a 11-mth old baby, who is much bigger than Soph even tho' Soph is coming 15mths now!
happy.gif

huskie,
Thanks for the link
happy.gif

wah...spicy rice cake nice huh!! Read Sunday Times they recommended korea snack at Bugis Junction B1. Have tried their spicy rice cake before, taste quite ok, better than the one I bought from solmart. Maybe because is homemade. I'm thinking of trying their spring onion or onion pancake can't remember, if I'm there again

I suspect tempeh also high in protein hee... but fattening hor...my maid told me before must use alot of oil to cook it. Her mother make their own tempeh and sometime they add in young papaya in it, sounds very healthy huh... I'm not sure other cooking style in tempeh but in malay they deep fried it. My maid also mentioned tempeh in sg and indon taste different. She say indon one taste so much better. I'm going to ask her to bring some back when she's back to indon this month.

choc
I bought Jap organic natto beans before. oh no....I can't take the smell, trying to be smart and mix with my rice and gotta throw everything away, even the small packet of wasabi can't help to get away the smell. But very healthy food, my friend told me is high in protein and lotsa enzyme in it.

oh yes...would like to check the fried threadfin you ladies mention about, where can I get it? Is it those fresh one or dried type. Ccan't find any fresh one in market or supermarket.

cookie,
think will make the soup on thursday. No need other ingred like pork bone, dried ikan bilis or dried scallop right?
hee...I like marmite too...will put in my porriage until black black with some shedded fried fish meat and mix all together. Look messy but I like it kekeke...

Oh! Marmite!!
happy.gif
I love Bovril too, like ann, my hb and I will put in porridge until or lu lu..

Cookie, the amount of water for the yam rice is same like how you cook normal rice. Yah, sometimes I over add water into the rice and the yam rice turns mushy too!
Liu wei tang should be ok for bf.. I find most soups good for rejuvenating the body and milk production

Must try to make your soup, where can I get konbu? is it also sea kelp ?
I put on 2 kgs within one month!Every month if put on 2 kgs sure mati! I just pray that the weight goes to the little one!

Today frying sliced beef with capsicum and onions, fried chye sim, and also season sea kelp( with plum vinegar, salt, pepper, sesame seeds n sesame oil). Cooking porridge with rolled oats with these dishes.

My no.2 loves natto beans with rice! And sometimes, i'll add jap rice seasoning(the pack with bits of seaweed, sesame seeds n wat else) into the rice.

ann, I love tempeh too! The threadfin is fresh one, can get from market, or they call it "ngoh hee" , my mum uses it for the liu wei tang, but I tot it's a waste! hee..

choc,
ha... I thought fried threadfin is those small fish for soup, never thought threadfin fish id for soup, me abit blur hee... I know that threadfin fish, good for kids but as what you said is a waste, will the meat spread in the soup?
I got my konbu at organic shop. I think is also sea kelp but some are soft and hard. I used hard one to boil soup. Think sophie knows more.

If I put on 2kg every month, I don't know how to talk to my gynae, he's super strict in weigh gain. Last saturday check my weigh, put on 1.4kg, luckily he did not say anything cos I skip subject kekeke... then again...I did not starve myself

Huskie,
Thanks for the directions. will go find the rice cake when we go for the mutton soup fix at the hawker center upstairs.
will need to get the spicy sauce fm the korean shop as well.
don't need to worry abt sophie's size now.
sometimes the baby fat dun last long. like my little pui pui.. no longer so now. cos after learning to walk/run uses a lot of energy.
little sophie probably of petite built. good for girls u know. in the future don't need to worry abt dieting.
happy.gif

the konbu just put in the soup together with other ingredients to cook.

Ann,
no need for any meat or pork bone or scallops.
u can try and see if yr ds like the soup also
happy.gif

heee... i like tempeh alot too. if eating nasi padang will order that
happy.gif

hee... can share how did u managed to control yr weight gain so well?

hahaha... my and hb also stir our whole bowl of porridge till orr lu lu. and competition to see who's porridge more orr lu lu.

do u give yr children marmite?

Choc,
will fine tune my yam rice again next week.
bought a yam which is quite big. so ended up freezing half of the 'liao'. hee... then will let u know if am successful.

thinking of the milking time now.... hope i can endure to bf this one as long as possible.

wow! yr no2 likes natto. ist an aquired taste.
heee.... actually my japanese friend stir natto with raw eggs with chopped spring onion. but think yr no 2 too young to eat raw egg now.

the konbu i got it fm ntuc/cold storage the japanese goods section. it should be one type of sea kelp.

i don't dare to step on the weighting scale to see how much weight i gain leh. think should be at least 3 kg for this month.

pinkbunny,
u are welcome.
happy.gif

u are right that threadfin = ngor herr

cookie,
I eat 2 meals a day. In the morning only drink 1 big mug of organic 5 grains rice powder+ beetroot soya powder with no sugar soya milk. But I didn't control my food amount, infact lotsa carbo to make me full for the whole afternoon. I noticed for me will be put on when eat veggies rice (bought from hawker) or any fried stuff very fast. So normally will have fishball dried beehoon with no oil or kway teow soup no oil. Mostly soupy stuff and try not to take noodle too. Very boring food but I quite enjoy it for lunch. But of course i will have my buffet or cha kway teow once in a while. Was thinking of marmite with porriage with salmon for lunch. Dinner normally steam food, porriage, lotsa vegetables cos having slight constipation. Other than that no tibits, 3rd or 4th meal in between. I'm craving for durian leh...

So far i gain about 5.7kg, compare to last time is better cos I check with the nurse my 2nd preggie I put on 10kg at 24 weeks. I worried will suddenly gain 4-5kg in 1 month ,can't control it. But then again, don't get too stress with the weight.

yes...sometimes I give marmite to my children, there's a chinese herb shop auntie told me not to give marmite to children, no good if having cough cos don't know what type of veggies marmite is using, will make the cough worst. Maybe bovil shld be ok.

Choc and cookie,
check with you a disgusting and embarrass thing. Do you both perspire alot? I sweat like a horse. Is my first time having this prob, my 2 pregancy not that bad, I can feel the sweat dripping from my bust area and my shirt always got 2 patches of sweat stain on the armpit ares, first time like that...if at home is ok, but if outside oh no, so embarassing...gotta wear dark color or white tops.

choc,
always forgotten to tell you about the red rice wine thingy. Is not those rice wine to add on confinement food. Should be call hong2 zao1, those dried red colour stuff to add on the chicken. Will check the price when I'm there.

pinkbunny,
Welcome!

Haha ann, I'm perspiring like crazy too, but not yet sweating inside until wet wet, but I can foresee it coming , cos weather is very hot, and I perspire alot too! Have to sit in front of fan all the time for now.

Wow, you are really good with your diet! For this pg, I find myself so unhealthy , constantly craving for char bee hoon for breakfast during the past 2 months!Must start eating less fried food n carbos.
Think I know the hong zao1, have seen it in the organic shops, thanks.

For the threadfin in the liu wei tang, my mum doesn't stir the soup, so sometimes, the fish is still complete aft much boiling. She uses the tail of the fish for soup and adds some ginger too.

cookie, ya, my no.2 has a weird tongue! She is a great fan of hum too
happy.gif

Hey soph, papaya soup with fried fish is also very yummy, as compared to using pork. Can't remember what fish they use, dunno if it's seabream or threadfin. Van is real good with the different types of fish, she must be very busy now.

Hi pinkbunny!

thanks for the warm welcome, mummies! i love cooking too. glad that there are so many cooking mummies here! i applaud you
happy.gif

threadfin: just seasoned with salt, pepper and mua yew, steamed with ginger is very good too! and easy
happy.gif

Hello mummies,
I just woke up from an afternoon nap. Decided to leave the housework for later and catch up on some sleep after my sis exclaimed very loudly during last weekend's dim sum that I have lots of lines around my eyes
sad.gif

Also just spree-ed Dermalogica myself to get some help
happy.gif

annlee,
Yeah, tempeh is a bit oily and unhealthy in that sense, but so yummy hor?
My hubby's vegetarian friend bakes it. He just adds a small dollop of butter on it and stuffs it into the oven... less oily, he claims.

Your gynae also strict about weight huh? Who's your gynae? You gonna give birth at Gleneagles again this time? Also C-sect?

Choc,
Yeah, konbu can get at Jap section. It's normally a thick long rectangular piece of seaweed that the Japs use to make stock. Not so tasty. The tasty one is wakame.

Eh, Soph loves the si shen soup yesterday! Today I made huai shan soup and eefu noodles for her lunch.... she also whacked up a bowl of the soup!

Woah, your dd likes natto huh? Hee, I still wanna give it another try... maybe will get it next month.

I also love fish soups, esp the fried ones, but dunno how to fry fish! In fact, for my milk ss last time, I just dumped the fish bones into the papaya soup... woah, super stinky man, but still drink for milk's supply sake!
WIll get hubby to dry the threadfin for this soup one of thiese weekends
happy.gif

Hmmm... never heard of this hong zao thing?

hi pinkbunny,
Welcome!
happy.gif

I also like to steam threadfin, but don't use salt at all... just ginger, sesame oil and a dash of Bragg.

cookie,
The mutton soup upstairs is good huh?
Hee, it was the first time I went to that Beauty World... was surprised upstairs was a hawker centre and there're so many shops selling those cheap towels/toys etc. Soph had a fun time eyeing those toys!
btw, there's a baby shop around there right? The one called Happy Baby Dept? I couldn't find it leh... only saw the Carrano shop selling preggy clothes? or is it at the Plaza?

OK, just saw the Korean Rice cake label on my rice cakes... it's called Well-Being Food at #03-02, Beauty World Centre.

I also love these Korean rice cakes cooked in soups
happy.gif

As for Marmite, no I don't feed Soph that. But I give her nutritional yeast which is basically the same stuff, but not so salty I find, and in dried flake form.

Hee, for Soph's baby fat, I think she's lost it since 8 mths... so sad... she's just very lean now, can feel her ribs too. My mum's always hinting that my food is not yummy that's why Soph so skinny! ;)

Good morning ladies!

Husk, pumpkin soup with nan bei xing also sweet and tasty. Liu wei tang has slightly more liao than si sen, good for this hot weather. I think an alternative of not frying the fish bones is to bake it ? Then add some ginger in. I have attempted fish soup few times,but not very successful
sad.gif
dunno how my mum did it!

I have dark circles under my eyes too
sad.gif
, I think the only way is to zzz it away..

I think Hong2 zao1 is one of the ingredients used for making wine, dunno if it's also known as red yeast, ann, is it ?

Today's lunch is char bee hoon
Dd's exam will end today, hurray !
happy.gif

Joy, how about yours ?
Ann, is your ds1 in pri sch?

zzzcookie, huskie, choc, annlee,
Thank you
happy.gif

zzzcookie,
I dare not eat sashimi :p Few months ago, went to a jap restaurant with my cousin. He ordered a big plate of sashimi, but I dare not eat. End up gotta throw away cos cannot finish. Then after looking at the bill, my SIL finish up all the sashimi.. hahaha... cos each piece $10.

Okie dokie, no time to read the past posts liao... Later all...

I need recipe for cookie. I want #1 to help me make cookie for his birthday to give to his classmates
happy.gif
Anyone got recipe to share?

huskie,
My sis is distributor of a facial bar. Can remove fine lines. Got amazing lifting and tightening effects too. Actually she distributes to suppliers, but do a bit of retailing. If you wanna consider, you can organise about 8-10 pple and she will go to your place and let you all try the facial bar. It's like a spa treatment on the face
happy.gif

Choc06

I still have few more days to go....till friday....

Apparently DD enjoys exam and its the mummy that is stress up...she tells people that mummy is sitting for the exam...

Ann,
Think i must start taking healthier food after reading what u are eating.
I am gorging myself silly with all the unhealthy and sinful food like laksa, nasi lemak, char kway tiao, chicken rice etc.
And I do sweat a lot also. Think as the pregnancy progress, we will feel hotter and hotter.
For me the peak was during confinement, sweat is literally dripping fm my bust area and armpit area.
Now night need to blast aircon to sleep.
Heee… I also have got cravings to eat durian and also mango.
Infact ate durian twice last week and also yesterday.
My no. 1 time also craving for durian, now he will fight with us for the durian also.

Pinkbunny,
I will try yr method with salt and pepper. Cos I usually steam with sesame oil, light soysauce, ginger and also quo qi zi.

Huskie,
Beauty World used to be the in place and shopping hub in the 80s and ely 90s. heee.. that was before all the neighbourhood malls started spouting.
The Hong Wen mutton soup is quite famous.
My mum told me is has been in the Bt Timah area for ages. She used to take it since her younger days. The mutton soup is boiled with herbs and said to be good for ‘cold’ type of body constitution. My auntie will buy for her children whenever they have prolonged ‘cold cough’
For the baby shop, think that’s 2 there, but I cannot recall the name. Its either one or two floor below the hawker center.
I will go check out the Korean rice cake. Have cravings for them. There’s a Korean restaurant near my office selling at $20 for a tiny portion. Think cheaper to cook them back home.
Can I know where did u get the nutritional yeast?
Sigh… maybe u can tell yr mum that u will rather have a healthy and good built Sophie 

Choc,
Now that yr dd exams over, u will have more time to catch up with yr sleep.
Think all mothers are sleep deprived.
I also cannot remember when was the last time I has proper sleep throughout the night.
Does didi still wake up for night feed?

Lyn,
$10 per piece… I will finish them also
Heee… but I really like sashimi even before preggy.
And I can fill myself up with sashimi and nothing else during dinner.
Will u be bringing A to attend the June Birthday Bash?
Is yr dad better now?

Joy,
Endure for a while more.
Heee… but yr dd so cute, tell others mummy sitting exams.
Will u gan chiong even more seeing that she is so relaxed?

Cough + Phlegm,
My Boy coughing on and off since Monday.
Last night during his sleep, coughed and vomited. Had to change the bedsheet, his pyjamas etc.
Anyone know what to eat/drink to reduce the phlegm?
If can take barley, green bean soup now?
And if the apple, nan bei xin, fig soup helps?

zzzcookiemonster and all

good morning.

Exam
My gal externally looks happy go luck and i know deep down she has the presssure to peform and I know it...There was once, she did not do well for her chinese test, she cried,but after a few days, cheri again...kids are kids....

This is the first time am really going thr crash course with her as previous years we have ample time to prepare ahead...but this year, daily load with school work, cannot do much..just imagine, yesterday itself we run thr nine school science exam paper, as in literally sit down and do every question...and luckily we finished....

tomolo, will be math and see how much I can do....today another tired day

COUGH AND PHLEGM
Guess its the reaction from the body.It can be heaty or cooling...can be due to virus or changes in weather condition...To min such sickness, its to TIAO the body...For me, I bring my son to tuina weekly and make sure he has the immunity system...and of course when before he gets heaty, I will give him the cooling fruits to bring it down.....or at times, powder mix from the physician .

Hi everybody !

Lyn, I have tried a couple of cookie recipes, but all the cookies turned out hard hard! Priscilla posted some cookie recipes in the past, looks very successful, maybe you want to try looking for it? The icing part aft cookies are baked, is the fun part! My 2 nieces and 2 dds messed up the whole kitchen and table last christmas while doing the cookies. Saw pris's ds and friends baking bread too, i gathered it's less messy. The bread rolls look so cute.

hey cookie, I'm like you! Craving for the food you mentioned
happy.gif
Trying to eat like ann also, if not , all the empty calories will go to my hips, waist, etc and it's irreversible !
I took lots of sashimi last week, doc said to play safe, take aft detailed scan, as raw food sometimes has bacteria known as listeria, causing physical deformities! Jia lat!
Didi doesn't wake up for feeds at night, but i will feed him more during dinner.
It's good that your ds is coughing out phlegm, maybe let him drink lots of warm water , pat his back(lung area) and let him vomit out more phlegm. Aft that, can tiao his body like what joy mentioned. The apple fig soup is good, but must drink constantly.
Also take note of his diet to see what caused phlegm production. Sometimes, I find milk the culprit to phlegm prod.

Hey joy, your dd so funny.. my dd asked me why I'm so anxious about her exams, her father replied and said "mummy is scared if you don do well, you 'll get spanking from papa!" Kids have no stress !
i know what you mean, with all the sch homework, can't do much self revision..

Cooking mee tai mak soup with fish balls, tau geh and veg for lunch

Good morning gals!

Yesterday was quite stressful!
Went to my mum's place for dinner, but end up Soph didn't want to eat her porridge dinner I packed for her. My mum's place has not highchair, so I was trying to feed her while sitting her down on the sofa. Gave her a remote control to play with then my 21-mth old nephew snatched it away. Maid then gave Soph a toy, but nephew insisted it's his. I then gave her another remote control and nephew didn't want to let her play with it too.
By the time I tried to find things for her, she was already getting unsettled and refused to eat her food.
Then my mum insisted that my food taste yucky that's why she didn't want to eat
sad.gif

My nephew is really jealous and possessive of everything, inclu my mum and dad... always wanna whack Soph on her head when we're not looking.
I'm finding it quite stressful to visit my mum anymore, although I know Soph enjoys my mum's company and my mum likes to have all the grandkids together.

cookie,
Some kind of cough are liang coughs... I heard liang coughs cannot take barley?
I think the apple almond fig soup should be safe since it's also eaten as a well-being soup for change of weather.

I actually bought Hou Ning San from EYS to standby for Soph's phlegm from her last illness, but the phlegm/cough seemed to have disappeared after all the soups. Heard this Hou Ning San is good, but I haven't tried it yet. Expensive though!

I buy my nutritional yeast from Organic4Less, an organic shop at Thomson. They also have a Bt Batok branch. Costs only $3+ for a pack. I may have seen the green Origin brand before.
But don't buy from Nature's Farm, cos they sell theirs in tin form for $20+.... too exp plus you won't be able to finish such a big tin!

ok, soph just woke up... will catch up on posts and post more later!

zzzcookie,
I dare not eat too much sashimi
happy.gif
hee... cos acidic to the body leh... :p We should be going for the birthday bash
happy.gif
Am still thinking whether to go ahead with A's birthday celebration on 7June. It's like very busy to prepare, but he loves cutting cakes and blowing candles. We had a cake cutting and candles blowing "rehearsal" when we got a free cake few weeks ago. He's on and off taking the plastic knife to play and ask his daddy to buy a cake for him to cut.

Are you going for the birthday bash?

My dad started to shiver again yesterday
sad.gif
He said maybe it's cos he got caught in the rain. Hopefully he will be ok till 20 May. Called the surgeon yesterday and he prescribed some anti biotics.

huskie,
Wah... very good idea to bake tempeh. How to make it more tasty? I dunno how to cook that, only pan fry, which is oily.
Soon, will ask my maid to cook Burmese food for me. kekeke...
Now, I gotta tell her what to cook. Very headache for me.

annlee,
Marmite has preservatives. Certain preservatives can cause cough in kids or make cough worse plus the nasty phlegm.

sp,
Thank you
happy.gif

Welcome babypink
happy.gif

gals,
Any recipe for cookies for kids?

Back