CMA or MPM

Hi chanwai, i signed my 5 and 7 yr olds up for MPM Tiong Bahru instead in the end as i think it's more practical that the syllabus is more in line with MOE's and it teaches about problem solving concepts. The teaching format is like a tuition centre with one to one guidance. The once a week schedule also fits better for them unlike CMA that advocates twice a week and is focused on mental calculations which i find is better as a foundational program for preschoolers.
Hi kileina,

How are your kids doing at MPM?

I'm deciding between MPM and CMA for my 5 year old son so I'm wondering if you can share any feedback on MPM?

Thanks

Hi i need referral code for CMA Tiong Bahru branch as well. Anyone can share ??

kileina, I am considering sending my 5 yrs old daughter to CMA, did your child enrolled for that already ? Is it really good? Thanks!!
Hi chanwai,

Can you share your CMA referral code with me? I'm thinking of signing up at the Tiong Bahru Branch

I've just signed up my gal for CMA.
I've visited MPM branch and was impressed with the booklets they used.

However my aim is for my gal to understand and graspe her mental calculation first. After that then may switch her to MPM.

Anyone interested for referral may pm me. We will get to enjoy 8% for a term.
Hello
Can I have your referral please...? Needed to sign my boy for a class.. Appreciate that! Many thanks! Please pm me at [email protected]

Hi all,

I just want to share my experience with CMA (Tiong Bahru Branch) for others to consider if you are keen in CMA.
I signed up my girl for CMA since Oct 2014. In general, my daughter like the class, she is also able to master well with the abacus.

There are several issues with the CMA
1) The monthly fee only include 5 exercise books (additional book is charged at $9/book). This was clearly communicated to me when I registered for the course. Although I don't like this T&C but I guess we have no choice. However, somewhere in April I noticed that I should not be charged with one additional book (as I keep track with the book issue by them). Then when I clarify on the counter staff on how the books are being counted then I realized that the no. of books issue are not counted by the term date, it was counted from the date when the invoice for the term was issued. I was shocked by the explanation. I thought this is odd. Why the book issuance is not counted according to the term date.

The whole problem is not how they account for the books, but I was being treated very rude. First of all, they have never give me a copy of T&C that I signed on the date I sign up for the course. They told me that I have to asked for a copy of T&C, if I don't ask then I will not be given a copy of T&C as T&C will change from time to time by HQ (what kind of reason is that?!?!). Then I said if there is a change in T&C, rightfully, you should give every parents the new copy of T&C, but the staff told me that the T&C is pinned up on notice board and they will not give out new copy of T&C even there is an update of T&C.

Secondly, I read the whole T&C and it never explain on how the exercise books are being accounted for (i.e. they count the book from the date when the invoice are issue). Then I said, this should be explained to parents and noted on the T&C. They just keep explaining to me that this is rude set up by HQ and their system is not able to account for the book according to the term date because of how their invoice cut off date is etc etc. Again, to me that is your system limitation, I am not interested to know. What I need to know is if that is your rule, then put it down on T&C and explained to the parents.

The staff then refer me to the HQ, HQ has promised that they will email me the details on how they account for the books. After 3 weeks, finally, I got their email. However, they only list down the books that they have issued to be on every term. They still did not explain the main point that they start counting the book from the date the invoice is issued and NOT according to the term date. I called them and they admit that the way they count the book is from the date the invoice is issued. Then I asked why it is not stated in T&C, then they said they will update the T&C ( I am not sure if they will really do that). You can PM me for detailed explanation if you have no clue what I am talking about.

2) After 6 mths of learning, my daughter is now ready for grading, I have asked the counter staff details about the grading exam and they keep referring to next week. It is only one month before the grading exam and yet they still did not provide me details. I gave up on the Tiong Bahru center and I called up the HQ and asked about details. Then I get to know that grading is actually taken place at the center itself, usually the students will be given sample questions but it depends on center (OMG). I was not even explained on the formal of the grading exam (note that this is the first time my daughter is going to take the grading exam).

3) One of the exercise require the student to listen to a CD for the questions and the student will have to write the answers to a book. They have been giving out CD and then since two weeks ago, they have stop issuing the CD and ask us to refer to the website. Again, no instruction is given other than a user name and password. So we tried to log in but the website has so many things and so many links that we cannot find the link to the CD. When we have asked for instruction from the counter staff, then she point me to the notice board again. (So we need to ask before we get information and if you don't ask they assume you know!?!?) The worst thing is we do not have a windows computer. I have an iPad, a tablet, a Macbook but NOT A WINDOWS computer. And that website only works on IE and Windows (again, you have to asked to find out the compatibility of the websites). NOW I really don't know how to proceed further because they simply don't provide CD any more.

All I want to say is customer service at the CMA Tiong Bahru branch is very bad, or rather, there is no customer service at all. I cannot believe that I got this kind of treatment when I am paying for a service.
Anyway, I am sharing this just for sharing, I really do not think anything is going to change. How I wish that someone will share this info to me before I sign up the course for my daughter. I am not sure about other branches however the service that I get really make me feel like withdrawing my daughter from the school. It is really a sad thing because my daughter enjoy abacus.

If you need any more details on my experience. feel free to PM me. Thanks.

I signed up MPM for my pri.1 gal mid of this year, so far am quite pleased... Was recommended by a frd who's son scored A* in PSLE and he attended MPM since k2 I think...

It's at those RC void deck office area in punggol nearer to cove LRT...

Good luck!

Hi all, may I have a referral pls? Wanna sign my girl at CMA Farrer Park. Thank in advance

Hi

Re: CMA referral

Student ID: SG0121025 (Jurong West Branch)

Please update me when you register.

So I can follow up at my side.

Many thanks and regards,

MummyE

Last edited:
Hi

Re: CMA referral

Student ID: SG012102 (Jurong West Branch)

Please update me when you register.

So I can follow up at my side.

Many thanks and regards,

MummyE

Thank you MummyE. Will keep you update after we register. Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Back