Cleaning of white layer from BB's tongue

huiqi16

Just wondering if mummies out there do clean off the white layer stain on BB's tongue??

Seen a PD, he said its just milk stain left behind on the tongue and its ok to leave it alone.

I tried using a soft cloth to clean the white layer on BB tongue, but BB will always cry out loud...

Anyone has any advise???

Hi, you can buy this white solution from medical hall to clean. It cost bout $3.80 if did noit remember wrongly, brand is rifles brand i think. Ask the shop, they will know. I used that for my son when he was young, only recently stopped.

You do not have to clean the white stuff unless it bothers you. I think paedatrician will also say no need to clean.

You can buy from the medical hall, it's called "洗口糖". Best to boil the hankie before rubbing BB's tongue. Becos BB will suck, so better to boil and use it warm. Don't have rub too hard.

The only worry is that BB will not drink milk if the white layer is too thick and covers the taste bug.

My mum has bought liquid from the medical hall and I had tried to rub it off the tongue. But the stain does not seem to go away or even lightened..

Is it because its too thick already???

Whenever bb sticks out his tongue.. the white layer on his tongue looks thick and I feel unpleasant. But my MIL askes me to ignore it and do not tried to touch BB tongue...

Each day you do the cleaning, slowly it will become lighter. It's prob too think now, so you don't see the difference.

ok.. i shall be patient and hardworking enough to clean bb's tongue.

Hopefully the white layer will be lightened as time goes..

hi..
u may use white gauze swabs (selling in guardian) to clean the bb tounge. this is very common to use in my country (indo) to clean bb tounge. use it with cooled boiled water safer..

Hi
initially i use cloth with tat liquid..after tat i change to gauze with the liquid..tat liquid is sweet so my boy kinda like it..its hard at first but just slowly clean..if not after u feed baby milk,let him drink 1-2 slip of water to wash his mouth..

hi! another way is you can try using a baby tooth brush or if u go any baby super store ie kiddy palace, look for this toothbrush set by first few years or safety 1st. there's this plastic, pointy stick. use it to clean the baby tongue....i did it and it's quite good.

hi there! to clean BB tongue - my mum teach mi this;

Using chinese tea leave (boiling w hot water)
let it cool
use a small handkerchief, roll over your 2nd finger
soak it with the chinese tea and wipe the tongue w it

you ll b surprised - it ll b clean and it is harmless

i used this method to clean my BB tongue when he is an infant - now he is 2 years old

toothbrush is not recommend cos it might damge the taste bud of the BB (esp when they r young)

as they grow bigger, you can consider buying "tongue cleaner" from kiddy palace

hope the above helps
happy.gif

I'm also using gauze and cooled boiled water, cheap & good..

The white layer does not go away from day 1, but will improve as time goes by.

Hi mummies,

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Im currently using "Tien Yu" to clean my bb's tongue..

He nows loves his tongue to be cleaned. Whenever he sees me with the small cloth, he will stick out his tongue.. cant wait to be cleaned.

Haha!! so cute

Hi qiqi16, what is "tien yu"? Is that the same as the Three Rifles Brand glycerin?

My kid had the whitish coat a few weeks after birth. Many said likely milk, so just clean and not to worry. Another paedi later learnt diagnosed it to be thrush. The diff is that milk coatings can be cleaned off the tongue, but not thrush as the molecules have what resembles "roots".

Paedi's oral daktarin gels didnt help. Oral Glycerin didnt do the trick either. What worked was freshly grated and strained apple juice (when she turned 6.5mths). Seems that the fruit acid was an antithesis to the thrush in our case.

i will clean my bb's tongue everyday with a washcloth wet with cooled boiled water. heard from my friend's mother tat have to clean the tongue everyday... can promote bb's appetite n next time teething will be easier...

I recommend to give BB one or two slip of water immediately after milk. That help to wash the residue and prevent it to thicken up. Now my bb dont get thrush anymore . Hope it helps

Hi,
Wish I had chanced upon this thread earlier. My bb just got diagnosed with thrush today by the PD
sad.gif

The recommendation to give bb a few sips of water immediately after milk/food seems to work pretty well. It has only been a day but that coupled with applying the gel the PD gave seems to have improved her condition trememdously. There are visibly a lot less white patches on her tongue and lips now.

Just need to get her to cooperate to drink water after eating from now on... sometimes she goes on a water "strike" and simply refuses to open her mouth! haha

hi mummies.. how old is ur bb when you starting wiping his tongue? my boy is 2 weeks old and mom is already asking me to wipe his tongue. i'm a bit scared to reach in and wipe his tongue, fearing he will struggle and regurgitate.. =(

My babies started from 1 week old, cos that's what CL did. I bought the NUK oral wipes, don't have to push in deep. Just wipe the gums and tongue.

After awhile, they will auto open mouth for you to wipe.

Back