Choa chu kang mummy club

Hi Snowball32,

Agape really have great programme, even N1 got Speech & Drama and Art. I know not much HDB void deck CCC have Speech & Drama and Art at their N1.

Hi cutebaby77 & snowball32,

I think they's negative at CCK Kinderland but some parent just save the trouble to type & explaint. I feel post good comment is more easy co's not much further explanation needed.

Hi Cutebaby/ Worrymum,

When I fetched my daughter this evening, I overheard a teacher telling a parent that her child has bitten another kid in her class today The teacher also found out that she has bitten her classmate's shoulder because that child has sat on her place in class. Nevertheless, she was still punished by the teacher for her action.
Luckily that child is not from my daughter's class.

Hi Worrymum - My daughter's with them for about 7 weeks, so it is too early to tell if they are really good. But, I can tell that my daughter is quite happy there. She has settled in very there already. Hope things will turn out fine as I am also sending my #2 there next year.

Hi Snowball32,

How did the teacher punish the child that bite?

At least their programme is quite good. Somemore your gal just in the CCC for 7 weeks & recognises all 26 alphabets and their sounds. I feel that the teacher might have make the lesson fun & interesting so the kids learn well. If teacher teaching method is boring then it's hard for kids to absorb.

Hi cutebaby77,

Did the teacher punish the child that bite your son?

Hi Worrymum,

I only overheard the conversation while waiting for my daughter to wear her shoes. Do not know how the school punish the child who bites. But, I do know that the CC "isolate" naughty kids to the principal's office.

My daughter has been with 3-hr PG class since she was 22mths (also run by Agape) before I switched her to fullday CC last mth, after 13 mths. She already learnt about alphabets in PG class and start learning letter sounds at CC.

Yes, I do agree that teachers play a big part in getting kids to learn thro' fun and play. I can tell that my daughter is enjoying her classes, esp English class, as she told me that she likes her English teacher (a Filipino). Actually, I also have to thank her class teachers - English and Chinese teachers for taking good care of my daughter that helps her to adapt to CC within a short period of time. They constantly keeps me updated of her progress in the 1st few weeks at CC and keep me re-assured that she is doing fine there.

hi snowball

glad that your girl is doing very well in agape :)

just wan to share with u all i know one mummy whose daughter just graduated from agape (she joined agape since nursery), i think last year. she told me agape is strong in chinese but quite weak in english, so she has enrolled her daughter to english enrichment class.

i guess it really has to depend on individual ;-)

Hi Worrymum77 & Snowball32,

The principal told me they can't punish the child who bites & is the parent should punish him. They did talk to the child. But my son did got punish before for not been sitting down when having lunch.

I feel that every CCC will have bite incident but is really depend on how the principal & teacher handle it.

Ya, kids pick up thing very fast at their young age.

Hi Worrymum,

My MIL helps to look after my kids, so she was the 1 who shuttles her to and from school. I am a FTWM.

Hi Jo - I think the English teacher plays a part. At home, we also speak English. So I guess, she has already had some foundation. So far, I feel that she is doing fine and my hb is not agreeable that we send her for enrichment classes. We will see how she progress after a period of time. But, I do agree that Agape is strong in Chinese Lang. My daughter can speak Mandarin after attend the PG class for about 6 mths (switched from being a Potato)and she can now converse quite confidently in Mandarin with my PILs. I am personally happy with her progress
happy.gif

hi mummies,
finding a suitable childcare ctr is really such a headache! Still undecided if I should go for a high-end one with good curriculum or a so-so one as the price difference is almost double! *headache*

Btw, Kinderland will be increasing their price to $930 next year. Wow.. ex! Reasons given are to send their teachers for training and.. get ready for this.. now the economy is better, so price increased!

Hi Cutebaby,

I beg to differ from what the principal thinks. I feel that kids at this age should be punished the moment they do wrong. By the time parents punished them, they would have forgotten what they have done to get punished.

This is what we did to our kids, we punish them on the spot when they do wrong. We try to do it consistently and persistently (we repeat the punishment if the kids do it again). So far, I find that is most effective and they can remember and refrain from doing the same thing again after a few punishments.

Hi Jf - Yes, looking for a suitable CC is a big headache. Moreover, I am the 1 who is kan cheong, not my hb. To him, any CC can. But, I am more particular as I feel that our kids will be there for almost 12 hrs and think that environment and cirriculum is very impt.

Snowball,
Same here, I'm also the one who headache, while my hb feels nothing about it. Sianz lor..

I agree on the punishment part, it's how the children learn not to do the wrong things. I'm the type of parent who will authorize the teacher to punish as long as it's to disicpline the child for his/her own good.

Hi Jf,

I feel Kinderland is not worth to pay such a premium fee co's seen they don't do thing consistently and persistently. Like, why cutebaby77 son will got punishment when not sitting down at his lunch time but didn't punish the child who bite. I think child who bite other kid is more serious. I agreed with Snowball32 that reasonable punishment should be apply at CCC but not punish as beating.

Now i feel that their curriculum not really so fantastic as compare with those really premium CCC. Last time i ask, they only teach 1-10 & lower cap a-z at N1 & told me that they don't really focus if they don't recognise co's their reason is, they are still young so N2 still can learn N1 syllabus.

Hi Jf,

You have view all the CCC at CCK area? Which one do you really like & comfort with?

Ya Snowball32, i agreed with all that CCC should have a acceptable punishment but not beating. I did heard some CCC teacher beat child. Our kids will be at the CCC for ard 9 to 10 hrs so we need them to disicpline & as our part at home we need to do the same.

hi cutebaby,
Not all, but I shortlist those nearer to cck mrt. Gonna recee a few more. Initially Kinderland was ok, until I read that they mishandled the biting incident, and their over-charging given their so-so curriculum and finally their fee hike.

I may even have to expand the search to include CCCs in yew tee..

Hi jf,

Nearby Yew Tee MRT dun really have much good one too. Now just hoping that Mulberry is good lor. If not i also don't know in CCK where got good one liao. Sian.........

Hi Cutebaby/ JF,

Do not know how good is Ado Playhouse. There is also a Star Monetsorri which I heard is not bad. Actually, My 1st Skool at blk 609 also received quite good feedback leh.

Hi JF,

Yes, its Amazing Star Montessori at Blk 511. We drive pass everyday, school look bright and cheerful.

Yes, its previously NTUC CC, heard quite good comments about their CC for the one at Blk 609. But, think their cirriculum also so, so. Need enrichment classes.

Hi JF,

Just heard that My 1st Skook also revising their CC fees upwards. Dunno by how much.

Think for those more affordable CCs, they provide basic cirriculum similar to those of PAP, not much frills.

I quite like their new Uniform tho'. Look bright.

cutebaby77,

huh?? U mean kinderland say cant punish the kids? Where does the teacher and principle grad from? The teacher should punish the kid on the spot and parents have to be inform and make sure the kid dun do that at hm.

Punishment doesnt mean beat the kids. School should have naughty chair or corners to punish the kids and correct values and bahavoir should be pass down.

Hi Jappooh,

Actually they did have punish my son before but i'm not sure why that day the principal just tell me off that she can't punish the kid who repeating 2 times bite. She said she did nicely talk to that kid lor. Ya, they did have a chair at the corners & let the child sit alone then later the teacher will go & talk with the child again.

We just feel very upset that we just confront her on the 2nd bite but no confront at all on the 1st bite. Yet she straight away told me not to stress her & her teachers, so suggest me to transfer my son out. Anyway everything has over & now my son still under their care. So just pray hard that my son will be well taken care until he transfer to new CCC. I also don't want to said much co's as you all know, someone from Kinderland will keep track on this forum.

cutebaby77,
ya more it over so dun think abt it. hope it good for the new school.

BTW my boy at those void deck school. N1 already learning phonics, low and upper case a-z, writting as well as some addition on math.

Hi Jappooh,

Ya, hope the new CCC will be better & can learn well too.

N1 learn lower & upper cap A-Z, phonics, some more bacis addittion. Learn quite alot of thing. Now your son is at which CCC?

cutebaby77,

yes quite abit hor.. Actually i find learning too much. My boy already writing his own name liao.

he attending sheffield kidsworld. The disadvantage is when the form teacher on leave the other teachers like cant handle the kids loh. End up quite messy.. So far i dun have much complaint cos the fee is not ex. I believe in how much i pay i get back how much. So i cant expect the tip top service ba..

snowball,
I saw from 1st Skool's website that their uniform is white with orange lines.. ya, bright & cheerful.

jappooh,
Do you know if sheffield will increase their price next year?

Hi Jappooh,

Ur son's is very good, now already learning how to write his name at N1. My daugter still doing scribbling.

My daughter's English teacher was on 2 weeks leave and the class was also in abit of "Mess".

During her absence, the new incoming Principal and another teacher came in to help but, being not quite familiar with the kids, some of the kids' clothings/ bedsheets were mixed up.

The Chinese teacher-in-charge wrote a note to all parents to explain and apologise for the situation.

I think its a common scenerio esp for classes with younger kids where still rely on the teachers' help.

But, I thot the Chinese teacher was quite thoughtful to at least write to us to explain the situation
happy.gif

jf,

the school already increase $50 starting oct already. Used to pay $250 per mth now is $300 per mth.

Snowball32,
for me i ok lar as long as he is playing happily in school i am fine loh. Maybe cos my expectation on so high so end up i am more balance. Cos of the fee we pay we cant be expectating too much.

But if i am paying $800 per mth then is a different story

Hi,
My first skool increase their fees by $50 so it will be $260 for Nursery, K1 & K2 next yr. Guess all increasing dued to economic getting better
happy.gif

Agreed cirriculum so-so, must go for enrichment class.

I know Amazing star at Blk 511 let kids watch TV, depend whether parent mind anot lor.

The My first skool I'm refering is at CCK Central not Yew Tee one.

Jappooh,
I ever thought enrolling my boy to yr boy CC but will be quite far for me coz I'm staying at 2XX area so ended up in My first skool more convenient since is daily event to send/fetch.

jappooh,
$300/mth is after govt subsidy right? Kinderland will be increasing to $630/mth lei (after subsidy), more than double of sheffield! Unless they can show that they're doubly good in all areas, then it's worthwhile.. hehe..

Mayday,
Do you still intent to move your child out of My 1st Skool?

Hi Mayday,

For Amazing Star, I heard their prog not bad no doubt they let kids watch TV. But, it is not in our choice list due to location (inconvenient) and adopt Montesorri method, which I heard from friend that kids have pblm blending into mainstream school.

Hi JF - Wah....Kinderland now should rank #2 most ex in CCK area after Mulberry Learning liao. But, if they continue to operate on this mode, they will eventually loose their students.

Hi Mayday - Overall, I heard quite good feedback for My 1st Skool. They justified they raise their fees as they are getting more qualified teachers and improved cirriculum. Did U chk with the CC what kind of improvement they are going to make?

Hi jf,
I will stay put since he's ok to go and can eat & sleep well there. Let him go enrichment class instead.
happy.gif

Snowball32,
Heard their prog is good too but too bad quite far away as need to take bus which is 2 bus stop away. Din noe adopt Montessori method kids will have prob blending into mainstream sch. Why huh? Too much difference?

My first Skool send a note to update most of their teachers have either completed Diploma in Early Childhood or are in progress of completing hence better qualifed teachers. Principal have update me in Nov/Dec there will be a cirriculum sharing session with parents on K1 & K2. I will know more by then.

Hi Mayday,

my boy school also let them watch tv after 6pm. I am ok with it lar.. Infact when i am attached to cc alot of them do that.

I choose my boy cc another reason cos is near my hse. So it so much easy for my MIL to send and fetch him hm.

so far i am ok with his learning. Specailly english. His voca is getting better.

jf,
yes it after govt subsidy.

Mayday,

u sure their teacher all going for Diploma? Cos most of the teacher are holding Cert of teaching. Diploma not alot. If all diploma then i think very good loh.

Hi Mayday,

I understand that Montessori method is more of "freehand" teaching method rather than structured teaching. So, kids face initial prog of adapting to structured teaching which is adopted in mainstream schools. I heard about that a no. of yrs back. Really do not know if that is still true in current context.

Wow....my First Skool really going all way out ya? Think they are bucking up following announcement that PCF will step-up on improving their CC svcs. This is healthy competition and consumers will stand to gain
happy.gif

Hi Jappooh,
Not all la, if I'm not wrong they indicated 75% but don't forget this % represent all the CC in SG bah
happy.gif

And out of this 75%, some have completed and some in progress hence still quite a number of teachers holding Cert. They did state their increase in fee is to send teachers to training as well.

I did went to Amazing Star to view before. I also find that their programme quite good but no aircon. The principal also very friendly.

Hi Snowball32,

Kinderland & Mulberry CC fee's is the same as S$930. Their rank is the same. What i know from other parent, Kinderland want to increase their fee is due to rental, salary, PUB...etc increase so they need to increase their fee too.

Have any of you check before what is Kinderland teacher qualification? I know they is Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education, Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education-Teaching, Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education-Leadership or Degree.

That time i forgot to check with them.

Jappooh,
No more places for K1 at Sheffield next year.. less choices for me now
sad.gif

The person in-charge sounded quite nice over the phone.. and told me they've some sort of advanced phonics programme for K1/2 kids, which is good.

Hi Worrymum77,

During the visit/ registration, I also did not ask the Principal the qualifications of their teachers leh....Maybe I shd ask so as to justify the increase in CC fees hor?

Hi Snowball32,

Ya, since Kinderland is getting premium fee so parent should expect better teacher. Should have diploma in teaching. If playgroup teacher is only cert still ok but N1 onwards teacher should be diploma. This is how i feel.

Hi Jo & Cutebaby77,

Did both of you check with Mulberry Learning what is their teachers qualifications? Co's Mulberry Learning fee also at $930 per month.

Hi Worrymum,

I do know that my daughter's CC got training sessions given to their teachers on the teaching programs the CC adopts. But, do not know of the exact qualifications of the teachers.

However, I do observe a number of Chinese teachers (from China) are rather young. Even the new Principal is quite a young lady. My daughter's English teacher is a middle-aged Filipino who handles kids very well. Hence, I do not know how they gauge the qualifications when they employ these CC teachers from overseas.

So far, think their teaching methods quite effective cos' my daughter sort of remembers what she learnt.

Hi Snowball32,

If i'm not wrong, anyone want to teach at childcare, must have a Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education. It's depend on the CCC how they going to employ & which level the teacher teach.

I think for those normal CCC that teachers hold Certificate can teach up to nursery level. But for those premium CCC, i feel that they should get Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education-Teaching for nursery level co's premium CCC should provide quality teacher, service, environment...etc. If not how to qualify to be a premium CCC.

What i know Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education-Leadership is for the teacher have a chance to promote as supervise in the CCC.

As for the chinese teacher from china i also don't know how does MCYS determine their qualification.

I feel that at the MCYS child-care link, every CCC should show what is their teachers qualifications. In this way is more easy for the parent to decide whether this CCC really provide quality teacher as what they pay.

Hi CCK mums...

How are you all? long time didn't login to this thread.

Any mum knows good art school/ class around CCK? Want to enrol my gal to art school during year end school holidays...

Please let me know yeah! Thanks!

Hi Cutebaby/ Jo,

Ur kids starting with Mulberry in Dec 09? Is there still vacancies available? I am considering if I shd register my #2 with them (intend to let her start in Jan'10) as my #1's CC now running at exceeded capacity and has no vacancy for my #2 until Jun/ Jul next yr.

Am thinking mayb gd idea to gauge which is a better CC to eventually put my 2 gals together in the same CC.

Back