Chinese surname of mixed raced baby

googhost

Hi, I'm Chinese Singaporean and expecting my first child with my Caucasian husband. I wonder what's the norm for the Chinese surname of a kid in a mixed race marriage like ours. Would it be the literal translation of my husband's surname? If so, must it be simplified to one character, as most Chinese surnames are? Or can it be two characters, since my husband's surname has two syllables? Or would the surname be the mother's (aka my birth surname)?

Let's say ur hub's name is Charles Xaiver
Your Chinese surname is Tan
Ur child's eng name is Eric, Chinese name is Jun Jie

So on birth cert ur child's name is Eric Charles Tan Jun Jie

Underline Charles as a surname
And the blank in the Chinese name is Chen Jun Jie

Something like that.

It's up to personal preference. I've seen many combinations for their written full names. Some include the Chinese name and Mother's surname in the written full name, some don't. Here are some examples of combinations I've seen:

Key-
First/given name: First
English middle (second) name: Middle
Mother's surname: Mum
Father's Surname: Dad
Chinese (pinyin) name: Chinese

First Dad
First Middle Dad
First Mum Dad
First Dad Chinese
Dad First Chinese
Dad First Middle Chinese
Dad First Mum Chinese
First Middle Dad Chinese
First Mum Chinese Dad
First Chinese Dad

We are personally going to go with the last option: use the Chinese name as the child's middle name.

As for Chinese character portion of BC, I've seen several variations too. Some parents choose to use a "translated" Father's surname, which can result in one character or two. Some just use Mother's surname in the characters, but leave out the Mum's surname in the written full name.

Key-
Mother's Surname: M
Father's Surname: D
Given Chinese name: X

Variations:
M X
M X X
D X
D X X
D D X
D D X X

We are using the first or second option.

I'm sure there are more options for both sections that I'm not currently thinking of, but you get the point. Basically, you can decide on whatever you want to do. In a mixed-race family, take it as you have the opportunity for more creativity. :p

Dear Mummies

Our Fengshui Master is offering Auspicious Chinese name selection service for new born.

We adopt the best methods according to chinese metaphysics.

Our business is also listed in the business thread

If you need help in selecting an auspicious Chinese name, you may contact us

http://www.sgbabyname.com
Email: [email protected]
Contact/ WhatsApp: 98893128

Reference:

http://www.sgbabyname.com/chinese-name-selection

http://www.sgbabyname.com/chinese-name-analysis-service

Thanks

Master SC Chan

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Chinese Singaporean and expecting my first child with my Caucasian husband. I wonder what's the norm for the Chinese surname of a kid in a mixed race marriage like ours. Would it be the literal translation of my husband's surname? If so, must it be simplified to one character, as most Chinese surnames are? Or can it be two characters, since my husband's surname has two syllables? Or would the surname be the mother's (aka my birth surname)?
Hey congrats! My chn also mixed and this was what I did. They are just for example giel Sofie Meimei Smith and boy Samuel HaoHao Smith. We omit the chinese surname as we found like very long. And for my Chinese surname it dun sound good with just 2 syllabus so we just had names instead no surname. We had a same letter name as the surname. In birth certificate I put just the chinese name i.e 美美 and 浩浩. My suggestion is if Ur surname OK sound with 1 syllabus why not? And also if Ur hubby surname not long can consider. I actually wanted cos want to retain part of our Chinese heritage but too bad my hubby's surname very long..

Back