CCTV Camera at Home - To Monitor Maid & Toddler

Hi,
I would like to ask if any of you subscribe to M1/Singtel offers on IP camera.
Cause i am rather attracted to the idea of installing an IP camera(able to rotate and control etc. features) with a package that allow you to watch the recordings through Internet in any source? Also,with SMS/Email notifications immediately upon any motions and analyse the motions to you before u report to the authority??

If anyone have it please do share with me the experience

Hi Yu Fang

Have no experience with the M1/Singtel service, but just want to let you know that all the capabilities you like with the M1/Singtel IP camera is available (except the SMS function) on most standard IP cameras. Getting a M1/Singtel service means monthly payment for the service. Installing your own means only one time cost to buy and set up the camera. Just something to consider.

hi

i am clueless about IT. i need some recommendations. i would like to install 3 cameras, one in my boy's playroom, living room and kitchen. both husband and i are away most times. away as in overseas. so we would love to see in real time mostly our boy's activities and my maid's doings. so what cameras should i get? i would like to be able to view it through phone as i do not bring my laptop all the time. my budget is $1000. would like to engage someone to install it as hubby and i are not so good with computers. thanks!

Hi knuckles

Wow. 3 wireless ip cameras for less than $500 sounds like a real good deal. Just curious, does it support recording to a NAS? I had a quick look at the user guide, and there is no reference to recording to a NAS, but there were some comments that it was possible in the HWZone forum. Just like to clarify.

Thanks

Hi knuckles,
I'm interested in the ip cams but i need to subscribe to a broadband at home first. Any recommendation how many mbps is enough for the ip to function better? I check the singtel and starhub website, the singtel offer broadband at 15mbps as the highest while starhub is from 16mbps as the lowest, did i see wrongly? how come such a great difference? Any plan you can recommend?

Hi Musicbox

If you are planning to view your cameras at home from the internet, what is important is the upload speed rather than the download speed because your camera video is uploaded to you. So that is the more important number rather than the download speed.

I believe the upload speed for most basic broadband services is between 512k to 1M. Below is what I found on Singtel's website.

SingNet Broadband 6Mbps plans offer download speed of up to 6Mbps and upload speed of up to 512kbps; 10Mbps plans offer download speed of up to 10Mbps and upload speed of up to 1Mbps; 15Mbps plans offer download speed of up to 15Mbps and upload speed of up to 1Mbps.

FYI, I tested and was able to run my cam2life camera over a mobile broadband connection ;-)

Hi Bobby,
Is there a min upload speed required to view the CCTV clearly? I'm looking at the cheapest line, is 6mbps plan with upload speed of 512kbps suitable? Btw i notice for a same price Starhub offer a higher speed, is it because starhub is a share broadband? means ultimately the speed is not faster than singtel even though the speed is higher?

Most cameras allow you to set the bandwidth you want the video to stream at. I don't think there is an "official" minimum speed, but I found streaming at 512k to be quite good. So I'd suggest that you get something at least 512k, preferably more since you may not get what you are promised most of the time ;-)

FYI I use starhub maxonline with 1M upload. Video quality is good.

As for the Singtel dedicated vs Starhub shared argument, I think as long as you don't have alot of people running web servers in you block, I don't think it makes any difference. Remember it's the upload speed that is important, and few people upload a lot of stuff onto the internet, unless they are running a web server, or some peer-to-peer sharing application.

Hi,

I am interested to install CCTV at home to monitor maid & baby. Pls email me @[email protected] if you have any recommendation.

Thanks
happy.gif

Hi - I'm looking to install 3-4 cameras in my home that is accessible via internet/I-Phone. I'm also looking for someone to help me install the cameras. Please email me [email protected] if you have any recommendations.

Thanks

I'm toying with the idea of installing 4-5 cameras when my new home is ready end of the year also to monitor my maid taking care of my baby too. Wondering the resolution of the camera and whether it allows us to zoom in using our iphone or ipad or normal laptop live?

hi Bobby,
I bought a DCS-5220.
1. Setup hostname in xxxxxxx.Dlinkddns.com -> Done
2. Disable DDNS in Camera Setup -> Done
3. Install Dynddns updater
4. Fix Static IP address 192.168.0.11, default router: 198.168.0.1 in Camera Setup
5. Disable firewall in my Linksys Wireless modem cum router
6. Setup 192.168.0.11 and http port:2000 in Linksys Wireless modem cum router
Still not abe to connect?? Why??
How much is your service for a Camera??

Hi Kawaii

The first suspect would usually be the dyndns updating service. Why are you using the dyndns updater instead of your router to update dyndns? I found the windows version of dyndns updater not very reliable when I was using it in the past.

I will PM you to discuss further.

Hi all

If any of you are interested in installing CCTV, can contact me @ 8100 0574 or email me [email protected].

My hubby is doing freelance CCTV installation. Competitive pricing and good after-sales service.
(",)

I'm interested to get 2 cameras to monitor the maid, and my kids when I'm not at home. I prefer to be able to logon to view via iphone, and also to record it. I'm using MIO box at home. Kindly advise. My email: [email protected] or my mobile: 93887334
Thanks alot!

Anyone got any contact?
I am going to move house, also need to move the CCTV which is already wall-mounted and re-connect them in my new place.
Now the problem is, my current contracter charge me super x, skyhigh quotation, am seeking for other source. Please PM me if you have anyone to recommend me.

Thanks

Hi Bobby n all,
Need ur advice in case u familiar with these brands, been comparing foscam, cam2life n y-cam, anyone can advise?

And Bobby u mention tat viewing via mobile broadband is possible for cam2life, how's e quality like cos wat I hv is e lowest plan n intend 2 use as baby monitor but concern abt video laps... cos might considering taking fixed line broadband if don't work out, btw since need 2 monitor bb overnite in other room via my iphone do I hv 2 subscribe 2 unlimited plan?

Any advise on routers use for e above, am clueless abt IT :p
Hope 2 seek all advise n check out sitex show in case got deals...

Hi bianz

I'm afraid I can only comment on my own experience with Cam2life and Dlink. So can't make a comparison with the rest.

For mobile broadband, if you mean using it on your iphone, it should work, even a low speed plan. I use a 1M service I get free from Starhub, and it works fine. But if you are trying to use mobile broadband as your home connection (where your cameras are), then I think it's not advisable. I suggest you get a fixed line service for reliability (though I got it to work on mine). If you already have the mobile one, you can always give it a try first. As for the unlimited plan, I assume you are talking about the mobile plan. An unlimited plan would be nice, but I seriously doubt you would use up alot of data. I believe a 12G plan from most mobile providers would be more than enough.

As for routers, I believe any broadband router will work since the cam2life is really plug and play. Have not encountered any problems with routers I used (and I've used at least 3 brands in the last couple of years).

Hope this helps.

looking for hidden camera that allow me to monitor online realtime remotely as and when i wish. not so interested in recording cos dont really have time to view recordings.

any recomemndation?

Singtel Mobile LIVE Cam for sale at 50% off current price.

Any takers? Family is relocating out of Sgp soon as am giving up my 2 units. Both are in tip-top condition as I had only used it for 6 months to monitor baby before I trade my job for a stay-at-home mom.

Hi, one question.

When u guys mention rotatory- pan/tilt.
Does it include 180 stationary view .. Or panoramic view?

My main reason to get a cam is to video daily house movement of the family including helper.

I have friend that said their helper cry molest.. Accusing their hubby.

So a video stating dates and time to back track can be
evident in court.

Pls advise. TQ

Hi guoxiong,

I need some help with installing CCTV at home. I have cameras, but do not know how to configure them and make them work.

Could you drop me your mobile phone number at [email protected]? I will call and discuss how we can work together.

Thanks,
Alex

Hi,

Got a second hand dlink 2121 to let go. Seldom used. Bought for around 18 months. PM me if interested. thanks.

thanks for the information, but is there any CCTV with clearer pictures? most of the brands i know are reasonable in price but picture quality isnt as good.

I would like to enquire which CCTV is good? Mainly to monitor maid and not to allow her to bring men home.

any advise.

Hi All,

I want to install 3-4 cameras in my hse to monitor my maid as my 2 young gals will be all alone with her. Any gd n reliable brands to recommend? I like to view live on my iphone and able to record and also have audio.
Please advise

Choosing a Camera can be difficult. It varies with quality and cost. Especially when it comes to monitoring the home. You can drop me a mail if you are still unsure of what is there. I can help give you an idea of how to match your needs. email : [email protected]

Hello there, i would like to look for a camera that cannot be seen, is a hidden camera.. is there any? i view all the links that is posted in the forum, all i mostly visible.

Please let me know

Hi,
I need to install a few CCTV at home, with a tight budget. Anyone with good recommendation?

Bobby.. Do you think you will be able to help me in this please?
happy.gif

hi, is there any camera that can work wo wireless? maybe a data plan only with a sim card or some sort? please advise

Back