CCTV Camera at Home - To Monitor Maid & Toddler

honey_waterfall

Hi, anyone has recommendations to share on surveillance camera to be installed at home to monitor my maid and toddler daughter who is 2.5 years old? How much does it cost and whether it is necessary?

I recently engaged Choice Cycle in Sept 08 to install 3 dome shape cameras+DVR+cabling. Total cost $1300. You can call them to make enquiries. Ms Candy 90088960. Website is http://www.choicecycle.sg/

I use it to monitor my maid who is taking care of my 2yrs old girl and 7yrs old boy. Hope this helps.

I have been using survillance camera to monitor my maid as I had to leave my baby with her alone for half a day.It was really Godsend for a mother as you can see actually whats happening in ur absence.We dont have maid anymore so I dont need camera.If u want I can let go it at cheaper price.Please PM me if interested.Thanks

I also have been using CCTV camera at home. I have 4 cameras. One in living room, kitchen, master bedroom and baby room. Please pm me if anyone want my contact.

Hi anyone who wants to install cctv at home can also contact Tony at 6899 3093. He would offer you with a value-for-money deal and you can view the image at office too.

hi why waste so much money to install a CCTV, and u have to maintain the cameras also. Honestly how many really rewind and watch the video.

If it's for deterrence, why not install a dummy camera. I got dummy camera and and it cost only $40/-. Recession time, have to save la.

hello bernard, very surprising that u have so much interest in dummy camera. U dedicated your 1st post to dispute on the price of dummy camera i bought.

Anyway i bought mine at $40/- and it came with red blinking LED light.

If u can get cheaper dun mind sharing with all the mummy here. Anyway mine is still cheaper then the real CCTV which cost few thousand.

Hi Ling,
Pls don't get offended. I'm just giving my opinion only. No hard feelings. In fact, most of the shops at Sim Lim Square do sell dummy camera for less than $10.
I normally do not post but because you mention something that I did not share the same opinion, that's why I wrote in. Honestly speaking, depends on what the mummy here wants, most of them (in my opinion) want to install the camera so that they can monitor what is going on at home when they are working outside. In short, they want to have a peace of mind especially if they have a maid looking after the baby.
Most of the CCTV now will enable the parents to view what is going on at home online. They do not need to go home and rewind and watch the video again.
In my opinion, a dummy might be beneficial only if you install it outside your house to scare strangers away.
As I have said, no hard feelings, just different opinion. I really don't think it's a waste of money to install a CCTV if you really have a need especially if you want to monitor on your maid with you baby. By the way, not all CCTV cost few thousands. You can get most CCTV with less than 1K.

May I tell all mummies here that Singtel have this domestic Survillence Camera service,whereby u can the buy camera merely at $ 199 and pay subs fee just $ 9 PER MONTH and u can access it anytime from ur hp by making video call.For more info can see the website...I used it and its good enough

Hi Bernard,

Do u install IP cameras? If u do, can u contact me at 90039809?
I also bot dummy camera at $30. Almost fainted when u said it cost less than $10.

Hi Xaviers_mummy,

If you are still interested to install cctv, do contact me at 9760 2180. By the way, if there are any mummies out there who want to buy dummy cameras with light indicators, you can get it at Mustafa for less than $10. Remember, only buy dummy cameras as a deterance and not to monitor on your maid.

Hi Piyali,
The price of the cctv depends on how many cameras that you want to install and what type of residential premises do you live in. If you are staying at a HDB, the price range from $800 - $1500. You can contact me at 9760 2180 to find out more info.

Hi gals, consider monitoring cameras that you can buy from Sim Ling. There are alot of models. The one I am using is Linksys. It is very easy to install. You just link it to your router or modem. No need to tape and watch it at the end of the day. By the time you watch at the end of the day, it is too late if your maid is trying to be funny. The monitoring camera works online. You just need to keep your router/modem on the whole day (anyway nowadays who will off it), and you or hubby can watch it anytime everywhere so long as you log into the Linksys website. The one I bought cost $199. There are cheaper ones. You can buy more than 1 if you need them in separate rooms. It runs on real time and I can call home and tell my kids I have "little angels" to tell me what they doing instantly
happy.gif

Just an opinion, if you are in a tight budget and would be getting an IP camera (Linksys model), besides linking it to your modem router, pls also connect it to you computer CPU for recording (if you have one CPU at home). It is very important to have a recorder that is recording what is happening in your house.

Unless you or your husband are watching what is happening in your house all the time from your office, there might be a chance that there is something happen at home that might have been missed by you. Most parents only watch the CCTV online only on certain hours when they are available at office.

Imagine when you get home one day and realise that there is a scar or a mark on your baby and you don't happen to see it online during your office hours, what are you going to do if you have no CCTV recorder? You would not be able to playback what has actually happen. You dun need to playback the recorder everyday but if there is an incident that you have miss during the day, a recorder will help a lot.

So mothers, if you are on a tight budget and need to spend money only on the Linksys IP camera and do not want to pay for a CCTV Recorder, I suggest that you link it to your house computer CPU which can act like a recorder. It will not record long, maybe about 1-2 days (depending on your harddisk space) but it is still better than not having any recorder at all. Just my opinion.

Just to clarify, if the webcam that you buy is less than $50 then it is not the normal IP camera. The webcam that is less than $50 are the webcam that you install next to your PC monitor to chat with your friends one.

This type of camera cannot view very far as they must be near the computer monitor
happy.gif
also the resolution will not be very good. If you PC happens to be in your study room, you will not be able to view what is happening in the living room.

If it is to chat with your friends, it is good enough but if it is to give you a peace of mind to monitor on your maid, it is not recommended. Just my opinion

for your information, i didn't say mine is a IP camera, which u are recommending, i bought mine 'webcam' for less than $50/-, the resolution is very good. As my house is a normal HDB flat, maybe not like what u describe 'so big', the webcam was able to record very clearly.

Sorry Bernard, i think u take your business somewhere else, u are not truthful. I have even call u before to install camera and in the end u give me a very expensive price. Then i got a friend to help and he was able to do it at a price of $50/-.

Next time pls be a honest business man.

Pls dun get offended. There seems to be quite a number of mummy here that is by the name of Sharon. For your information, I have never recommended using IP camera. I normally encourage mothers here to installed the Dome type of camera.

I was just giving my opinion to a mummy here by the name of chongsharon. You can refer to a few post above. She was the one who mention that we can get a Linksys IP camera in Sim Lim. All I did was just to share my opinion that it is important to have something that can record what is happening at home. I did not even ask mummy here to buy anything from me at all. All I did was to recommend them to use their own PC to do the recording.If you look at the whole topic, there is never anywhere that I directly upsell anything.

All I did was just to give my opinion and if mothers here happen to ask me anything, I just merely reply them.Pls dun get offended as I did not mean to offend anybody personally.There are a lot of mummies here who have known me so there is no reason I want to offend you. If you have ever call me to get the price and I happen to quote you something that you think is very expensive, does that mean I am not truthful?

Finally, just for your info, webcam is very cheap in the market and if you have ask someone else to quote you a normal cctv surveillance system, I'm sure it will also be very expensive compare to a webcam. As long as you are happy with your webcam, it's fine with me so pls dun get offended.

Hi Mummy Sharon Ang,After reading my earlier post a 2nd time, I realise that I might have made you feel a little bad by assuming that a webcam resolution is not that good. Most of the webcam in the market is not very clear but if your webcam is very clear, I take back my words and apologise for making you feel bad after spending you money to fix it up. Again, I want you to know that I am just sharing my opinion and trying to help mothers here and I did not mean to offend you.

Hi chongsharon,

can you tell me the model name of the IP LinkSys camera costing $199? I wish to go abd check. also the shop name if you remeber please.

Hi Piyali,
There are a few models you can get for IP Linksys.

1) WVC54GC - $169
- Sold at Laser Distributor Pte Ltd
#05-58 Sim Lim Square or Bizgram #05-50

This model is a wireless IP camera.

If you are free this weekend, go down to the Commex Fair at Suntec Convention Centre at Level 6 and you can get a range of IP camera from $99 to $299. All the best!

Hi,
We have mobotix cameras from germany. This decentralisation camera give 3 megapixel camera and can record and store video directly to SD or USB flash storage. Call Lim @ +65-97778121 for all your cameras need.

Hi, i'm looking to install cctv at home to monitor maid too..hope can record as well as view from office.....any good recommendations without getting killed by the cost? - thanks!

My good friend's philippine maid available for hire this coming december 2009.

Rare find. Good English. 4 years in singapore already. Likes and very good with kids. Can cook.

$450 and 2 weekend off. nego maybe.

Hi there,

Came across this thread by chance.
I am kinda urgent and budget tight and need to fix a camera at home to monitor frm office.

Any recommendation? Do we need to have internet to link up the cam to the net? Beside juz buying the camera... anything else?

Thanks for all ur kind help

Hi Xen,
If you are looking to install only 1 camera at home and do not need any recording at all, the cost is between $180 - $400 depends on how good quality the camera is. Do take note that this is just to view what is happening at your home and there is no recording. You will need to have a broadband access with router to fix this type of camera.
If this is the type of camera you want, you can get it at any shop at Sim Lim Square.

hi bernard, yup.. i went down but sadly my place dun have router. i am using mobile boradband. So now thinking of how to fix it? any recommendation?

i wanted to apply for Singtel's MobileCAm but then my iphone cant do video callg so cant view.

Hi there!

Was searching for camer.
Came across this thread.

I need a camera with recording (main purpose)for just few days and view from office ( if possible)
Can email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

I suspect my maid is stealing when I am out. But I have no proof. I want to get a spy camera that can record what is happening when I am away. I cant confront her as I worry she might do something to my baby. Any recommendations on where and what type to get??

Hi Cherry,
You can get some hidden camera install in your home if you suspect your maid is stealing. It would help if you could identify what and where exactly you are suspecting your maid is stealing.
For example, if you suspect that your maid is stealing money in your master bedroom, you can just install 1 hidden camera in your bedroom. That would save cost as every hidden camera cost money. You will also need a recorder to record so that you will have evidence to proof in the later part.
If you need to understand more, you can call me directly at 9760 2180. I will try my best to assist you.

hi, i just install a set of camera. the person who did it for me did a very good job. If anyone needs to install camera to monitor maids or children, PM me.

hi .. i chance upon this forum..
can see there is one or two plying their trades here for cctv installation.
would want to hear from parents here who they can recommend for a reliable cctv installer.
i dont wish to encounter one with bad after sale service. any recommendations?

Hi,
i wish to install 3 to 4 cctv at home to monitor maid.
wish to view from office and record too.
pls PM me if u have any good recommendations. thanks!

I've made almost $3000 on CCTV and alarm system. I bought it from Innotec. The one that used to advertise daily in Straits Times. But their products r lousy. door contacts keep taking turns to drop out. The hard disk drive keep on having malfunction. Till now, there has not been a single day that I've no complaints abt their products. I'm taking them to Small Claim soon. But to be fair,I think some of their IT support personnel r quite helpful.

Hi Magdalene,
The alarm system door contact should be drill into the door. This way, it will not drop out so easily when you closed the door. If your alarm system is a wireless one, most of the installer normally will just use double sided tape to glue it into your door.
As for your cctv system, if your system is still within warranty period, you should not have any problem to ask them to change a new one for you. All the best.

hi mommies, anyone has bought home surveillance systems from Bernard before? any comments, negative/positive? a friend of mine is thinking of getting from him but she wld like some feedback to his service, cam/viewing quality. thanks....
happy.gif
genuine posters only please.

Hi, I am looking for a hopefully wireless cctv system for home use. Any tips or recommendations posting here will be appreciated.

Hi Nelle,
It is not advisable to install wireless CCTV at your home because almost all the wireless CCTV in the market are using the same frequency to transmit the video data. In short, other people who have the wireless CCTV system can view what is happening in your home.
Also, when it is raining heavily, your image will be affected if you are using the wireless CCTV camera.
For your info, all camera have to 2 wires. 1 is to be connected to the recorder and the other wire is to be connected to a power source. No matter what (even if you buy a wireless camera), you will still need to run a wire to connect the camera to a power source. Without the power source, you cannot view the camera at all.
Let me know if you still have further queries
happy.gif

Thanks for the post. Is there any other option than just wired and wireless?

By the way, what did you install for your own home?

Hi Nelle,
I don't get what you mean. You either choose a wired or wireless CCTV System. Don't think you have any other alternatives
happy.gif
As for my home, I installed the wired CCTV

Hi

Any Mummy here using SingTel domestic surveillance camera? I am considering it, but could not find any info on it from SingTel website. Anyway, can this product support recording and playback, other than viewing online? tks!

piggymum..yes it can but dependable on the memory card.....

then u need to remove the card n view it via ur phone or pc(with card reader)
other than Singtel...M1 is also having that camera...

so if ur 3G card is with singtel...then its cheaper to take the singtel plan

Hi Bernard, I'm wondering if there's any wireless with a not-as-common frequency. Is there such for consumers?

So the "wireless" will still have a powerline to socket.. so that would also mean brackets for the wire would still be needed in that case?

How much did you pay for your cctv system at home?

Hi Nelle,
From what I know, all the wireless camera uses the same common frequency in Singapore. As for the brackets for the wire, if your house happen to have false ceiling, it might still be possible to hide the wire inside the ceiling so that you will not be able to see the casing/bracket.
If your house do not have any false ceiling, you practically do not have much choices to hide the bracket.
A CCTV System cost anywhere between $900-$1500 depending on what type of camera and the number of camera that you want to install.

Back