Car Seat

Xiaoahxi

Hello. I would like to know if baby car seat is really compulsory. Can't we just hand carry our baby in the car? Car seats are too expensive for me..

Last edited:

It is mandatory to have government approved car seat, booster seat or restrained in Singapore.

If caught otherwise, one can be fined and there will also be demerit points.

This is one thing that you should spend.

It is compulsory.

In an accident, you won't be able to control yourself from letting the child slip out of your hands who can then fly out of the car or hit the windscreen.

mainly to avoid trouble with the traffic police. if you have one installed in the backseat, you may still carry baby in your arms.

at least, if the TP do stop by, can explain that baby happen to be crying/needing attention, so carry in arms for a while...

look for preloved ones if you are tight on budget. It's compulsory to have a car seat under singapore traffic rules.

Like what happyjoy2016 had mentioned, you can still carry your baby even you have a car seat in the car. The TP won't penalise you when you tell them that BB cries and need to be pacified.

Installing car seat is not about showing or avoiding getting into trouble with TP. It's the safety of your child's life. You or your hubby may be a safe driver but not others. I have witnessed first hand the aftermath of the accident scene where my sis & her family were involved in a very serious accident. She herself was pregnant with #2. It's a miracle the baby (my nephew) was fine. And needless to say, my niece was fortunately in a car seat. She was only 1yo+ then. Even the A&E docs at KKH were surprised she came out unscathed. My bil also escaped with minor injuries but the car was almost total lost. They were going straight but the opp vehicle just sped across & their car actually spinned and went to opp side of the road. I cannot emphasize enough how important car seats are. For me, when my babies cry, I just let them be. The screaming and continuous crying can be very frustrating but I'll never compromise their safety. If you really need to pacify them, stop your car somewhere safe and do so. Otherwise, take public transport.

Definitely get one. You never know when accidents can happen and all that is needed is a bump from the car behind and that can send your baby flying to the front of the car, irregardless of how tightly you are holding on to your baby. There are new car seats that go for under $100. The ongoing Mothercare sale has one at $99 that can be used from birth to 25kg.

Back