Cambridge Child Development Centre

ng_mum

Hi, does any mummy has any comments on Cambridge Child Development Centre, in particular the one at Novena?

Hi, my son goes to the one lorong puntong (thomson)... not too bad. CCDC is franchised.. so you may need to check out the mgmt, teachers and environment...

hi, my son currently is at Cambridge CDC at Mei Hwan Drive. he is happy there. the teachers are friendly. overall cozy place. visited the Poh Huat branch. wasnt impressed with the place. seems very dark, gloomy and messy. (that was the impression i get)

Hi Winne_Poh,

Thanks for the info. There's an island wide open house for CCDC on 27/9. Maybe I will drop by to take a look at the Mei Hwan Drive Branch. By the way, how much is the fees at Mei Hwan? Do you have any idea whether they provide any transport?

Hi Rosnyus,

Different CCDC have different fees structure. I know the fees at Poh Huat Crescent & St Xaiver Lane will increased to $730 (before subsidy) with effect from Nov'08.

Hi all,

i am also looking at this centre to put my girls. Are u all going for the open house?

I don't know anyone who sent their kids to this CC, so hv no feedback. Appreciate any feedback on the one at poh huat or st xaiver.

TIA!

Hi Mummyhamster,

I maybe going to the open house at Mei Hwan Drive this sat.
happy.gif

Mummyhamster,

I have ever been to the one at Poh Huat Crescent twice. Actually my hubby likes that place but I prefer another centre.

Have heard good review on the one at Mei Hwan Dr from Winne_Poh, so went to take a look on their exact location last sun. Realise that the centre is so much bigger & also cleaner than the one at Poh Huat. Hence, I maybe going down this sat to look at their internal layout and their classrooms. However, I may ultimately choose the one at Poh Huat coz the location is more convenient to me..

Seabreaker,

My son was enrolled at Cambridge@PH Crest but have withdrawn. At that point it was quite disappointing, Cambridge taking over Smartz Playhouse. Management was very poor. My boy was down with HFMD, also since his skin is sensitive always back with a lot of irritation.

He's now so much better in a new pre-school in terms of health and academic.

Not sure if Cambridge@PH has improved ever since.

BTW, I've 2 sets of brand new Cambridge uniforms to let go if anyone is keen.

Hi Seabreaker,

I didnt make it to the open house, sad to say. coz my hubby couldnt make it. :-(

what's your feel after visiting the sch? did u register?

Hi Pinkymommy,

May I know how long did you enrolled your son in cambridge before you withdraw him out?

Which childcare is your son currently in now?

Hi Mummyhamster,

I have not registered yet.

The one at Mei Hwan seems not bad. It has a small swimming pool and there is a coach engaged to teach swimming for K1 & K2 students. They also engage outside vendor to teach Speech & Drama for an extra fee of $40, which I find is quite cheap. However, I did not register with them because after adding up the transport charges, the overall fees is a bit high for me.

In fact, I thought of going down to register at the Poh Huat branch today. However, after reading pinkymommy comments, I have second thoughts now...

My children are in CDC Tanglin and so far already down wif HFMD twice this yr. Is it generally CDC hygiene problem or just that my kids are unlucky? In fact the 1st round this year, school nearly had to close for a period of time.

Seabreaker,

At least 1yr+, actually the teachers are not bad quite caring but managent support "then" was poor from my experience. But it boils down to personal preference for ur child.

I've since trf him to a kindergarten near YCK rd.

U considering only FD childcare? Same as Jeng... i dont know if i'm unlucky or is the hygene there really bad.... i oso hope they've improved over time coz then was jus newly acquired by Cambridge.

Got time go there and see for yourself, especially the kitchen where kids eat and also the wet area. Cleanliness of the common area is things to look out for. Take your time to decide.

Hi Seabreaker,

may i ask, how much was the school fees? the enrichment fees seem quite cheap.

i am looking at another CC along YCK too. didnt know there is a kidnergarten, which one did u send ur kid to, Pink?

I am looking at FD childcare too.

Hi Jeng!! Welcome to this thread
happy.gif

Your children got HFMD twice within a yr?! Hm..ever thought of finding another centre for your children then?

By the way, beside HFMD, how do you find their curriculum or teaching methods?

Hi Pinkmommy,

Thanks for your feedback. I have been to the centre twice and my hubby went with me once. Overall he is quite satisfied with the centre and the teachers there as well..that's why thought of putting my daughter there. Sigh..will discuss with my hubby tonight and see how he say before we decide.

Hi Mummyhamster,

The school fees for nursery FD programme is $810 (before subsidy). Transport is around $80~$100. There will be outing/excursion every month.

By the way, which childcare centre you are looking at along YCK?

hi seabreaker,

well, my gal is in K1 this yr so I don't feel like disrupting her cos K2 is important yr to prepare her for P1 in 2010. My boy is going to K1 next yr so if I weant to change, can still consider but logistic wise, not too convenient to send them to diff school as I also have my no. 3 (not keen on milk baby) to take care. I have checked out another new school taking over ex Tanglin Post Office site but their fees are $1300 per mth and for 2 kids, $2600 per mth!
Curriculum wise, I think it is ok but alot depends on the teachers like how much extra effort are they putting in. What I like is the introduction of Japanese Culture every Thursday. Now I can sometimes hear my kids conversing in Japanese and singing Jap songs.
Actually this present site used to be Kinderland 2 years ago, last year was KidsEmpire and this year Cambridge took over. The funny thing is all these years, the principal and most of the teachers remain the same despite the change in school name.

Hi jeng,

Wow..3 kids..how to take care? I don't think I can handle 2 kids, let alone 3. Actually I'm considering to have no.2 but with the living standard so high, I may just stop at 1.
sad.gif

Regarding the cambridge curriculum, I don't think the one at Poh Huat have any Japanese culture lesson? They just mentioned english, maths, science, etc but no lesson for japanese language at all. Maybe different franchisee practice differently. Some have extra classes like swimming lesson, yoga and so on, which is within their curriculum but already added into their fees.

Hi Seabreaker,

I went to check out House of Kidz along dedap road. They used Letterland in their teaching. I dont particularly like those private house type of CC, but i quite like this one. Or rather, i am quite desparate to put my 2 girls in a CC by next year, as my third one is popping very soon.

Was abit relunctant to change my elder girl from her current school, but i think i prefer a full day CC.

Hi Mummyhamster,

So you sending your kids to House of Kids? May I know what is Letterland teaching(Pardon my ignorance)? =P

Hi seabreaker,

Acatually, it was recommended by a fren who lives nearby too. So, i decided to give it a try. It is a phonics teaching method, which has been used by Pats Sch, tumbletots and many others. I find it rather effective coz my eldest is currently with pats. Besides that, i was quite impressed with the kids when i visited the sch (House of Kidz) last week.

as i mentioned, i didnt quite like private house, but seems like i didnt hv much choices coz i need to send my girls to FD. This house of kidz is two houses combined, so it is quite sizeable.

U decided on which Cambridge already?

Hi Mummyhamster,

Why don't you like pte house childcare? Pat Schoolhouse is also pte housing right? Heard a lot of good comments on Pat Schoolhouse but the price is way too high for me.

My hubby prefers Cambridge @ Poh Huat. He said the children over there looks more disciplined and well-mannered. I'm still looking out for a better one though, coz personally I have not found one that I take a liking to. Actually I prefer Cambridge @ Mei Hwan but the price is a bit steep for us after adding on transport fee, that's why I have to opt out.

The House of Kidz seems not bad, from the way you describe it. Can you describe more, like how do you find their teachers, the curriculum and why you are impressed with the kids, are the kids well-disciplined, how much is the transport fee, etc. So far my hubby is dead set on PH Cambridge. However as I have not heard any good comments on this centre, I'm quite skeptical. Unless there's another alternative, or else ultimately I may just have to give it a try.

Hi there!

Ya, Pats is good coz i am very happy with my eldest's progress so far. abit relunctant to change her, but i need a FD service. Pats' half day is actually abt 2.5hr of play and lessons, if u minus off the breakfast and lunch time. So, $850 (after subs) per mth for a 2.5 hr daily lesson seems abit ex.

I didnt like pte house CC coz of the space and teh staircase. If u see the Pats at Lim Ah Pin, u know why i like the school. It is a single storey and huge compund, abit run down though.

I hv registered for the house of kidz, i will give it a try. The teachers are quite okie. But what impressed me was the 2 yr-old who can sit there and do their finger activities, know the letter sounds (phonics)... they even feed themselves, except a couple of them who still needs teacher's assistance. If u staying around Sengkang area, it is abt $120, according to the principal.

How much is the fees at the Cambridge @ Poh Huat? U mean they charges differently for each centre?

Hi Mummyhamster,

Pat Schoolhouse should have full day programme right..unless it is already fully booked. So far, I have only heard good comments about this centre. I have actually went to take a peep from the outside, it doesn't look like a childcare centre to me..more like a military base. But I heard from my colleage, the interior is quite nice. If I can afford it, I think I will also put my child in.

Glad to hear that you have finally found a childcare centre for your daughter. At least a load off your mind now.
happy.gif

The fee for Cambridge@PH is $730 whilst cambridge@MH is $810. Though the difference is only $80, but there's additional fee of $40 for speech & drama (compulsory) and $80~$100 transport fee if I were to sign up at Cambridge@MH. That's why, I have to opt out after taking all cost and other factors into consideration. The price is different for each centre because they are all franchisee. Maybe location plays a part in the charges too.

Ya, they do hv full day, but it is more than $1K! and i got two attending next year, find it too hectic. :p But if u hv one kid, can afford to splurge abit. :)

Ya, i hope the CC is as good as what i think they are. So long my girls can settle in smoothly, i will be very happy. Coz i know my eldest is very happy at Pats and this change may not be very well-recieved by her, though we told her aldy and she seems okie.

Oh, i didnt know they hv different fees structrure. I guess the location plus staff plays a part. Do u send your kid for other enrichment?

Hi Mummyhamster,

Actually when I told my sis-in-law the charges of the childcare centre I'm looking at, she already finds it expensive (she is earning much more than I do). She will definately faint if I mentioned Pat Schoolhouse charges..haha..coz my niece is with those void deck childcare centre and the fee is only $200+ (aft subsidy) for full day programme!

By the way, is it necessary to send my child to enrichment course after putting her in full day childcare? Will it be too taxing on her? So far, she has not attend anything yet.

Hi Mummyhamster,

Which Pat's Schoolhse does your elder gal attending?

Seabreaker,

Does Cambridge CDC offer full day childcare? I can't find them in the MCYS Childcare listing...

Hi Lok,

I think Mummyhamster's eldest gal is attending Pat Schoolhouse at Lim Ah Pin Road (Hougang area). Am I right Mummyhamster?

As for the question on cambridge centre, all their centres offer full day childcare. However, Different franchisee has different registered name in the MCYS childcare listing. For cambridge@Pohhuat & St Xaiver, their registered name is Mustard Seeds. As for cambridge@MeiHwan, their registered name is Little Footies Schoolhouse.

There is a new center at Cambridge @ Admiral Hill. From what i gather from the flyer, it is inside a country club with well equipped facilities such as horse farm, swimming pool etc. As it is on a hill top, more fresh air and less pollution. Included in the package is the swimming lesson on top of other child care services.
You may wish to check out http://www.cambridgecdc.com/singapore.htm.

Just open in Nov.

am looking for a preschool for my child and went to Cambridge @admiral Hill a few months ago as it looks promising as stated by Hjeon.However, while we were there, we were utterly shocked and disappointed with the quality of the teachers and principal.All of them could not even converse in proper English, although they claimed to be English teachers.My Hubby even spotted a teacher with tattoos on her body!We were rather repulsed by the way the teachers were.We have yet to visit other cambridge branches as our first experience is rather horrifying. Hopefully the next one we're visiting(MeiHwan) would be better. (cross fingers)

ha fermum, the tattoo is not belonging to those unfriendly type that i saw but common among the girls. I have enrolled my children there already. He is adapting well there. Language wise for their teachers, we find it ok. I probe a bit more and realise that most of the teachers are qualified according to MCYS standard. Anyway, we find the centre attractive because of the curriculum as well as many activities such as swimming, gym etc organised for the children.

Dear Hjeon,

Thank you very much for your compliments and comments.

Dear Fermum,

Thank you for visiting our center. I am sorry to hear that you have an unpleasant experience. I am stunned to hear that your comments on our teachers as our teachers are very highly qualified and have always articulate in proper English to the children. We will be glad to share with you about our parents’ testimonials to us.

Our form teachers are qualified teachers with Diploma in Teaching and some of them with Diploma in Leadership. In addition some of our teachers also have ‘A’ Levels, diplomas, degrees and master degrees. Besides extensive experience in early childhood, our teachers have been General Manager, MOE teacher and professional executives who held management positions prior to being a childcare teacher. The common traits among our teachers are our passion in teaching and commitment to the children.

Some of our teachers will be taking up the Bachelor degree in Early Childhood Education later in the year. On top of delivering the curriculum, our teachers also write up extra curriculum and do extensive research to further enhance the curriculum.

We do not exercise prejudice in employment, and employ teachers based on their merits and not their appearances. The teacher with a snoopy dog tattoo is an assistant teacher whose main role is to assist the form teacher with class room management and routine care.

We pride ourselves on maintaining a high hygiene level, delivering a quality programme and most importantly, bringing big smiles to our children. We will continue to strive and continue to look for ways to provide better service to our children and parents.

If you have further queries, please feel free to visit our website: www.cambridgeadmiralhill.com or contact me at [email protected].

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Tracey Seah, Center Manager

Dear Fermum,
I have 2 boys in Cambridge AdmiralHill since Jan this yr. As a primary sch teacher myself n a fussy parent, I am very happy that my boys are well-taken care by the caring teachers.
The teacher with a little tattoo on the hand is my 2nd son's Toddler Class teacher. Her genuine love and rapport with the kids outweigh that old tattoo of hers.
I have actually did some parent volunteering there and witnessed the engaging activities that were carried out.
To summarise, my husband and I like the mangement, curriculum and enrichment activities so far. We are very impressed with the new website and relieved to see the safety measures taken (in times of HFMD & chicken pox)for the welfare of our kids.
Sometimes, misunderstanding happens when we are at the wrong place the wrong time. To date, I have recommended this childcare (value for $) to many of my friends and neighbours. It is very unfortunate that you don't share the same sentiments. Hope you are able to find your "ideal" childcare soon!

Hi Jeng

I am keen to send my girl to Cambridge CDC @ Tanglin. Will be v thankful if you could kindly share some of your experience like the teachers and the cirrculum etc.

Has the HFMD condition in the school improved? It seems that HFMD is v common in the school?

Hi Bloom

My son is in N1 at the school. Environment is nice and clean since it is up a hill. So no worries about cars & air pollution. The school itself gives me a comfortable feeling.The teachers are caring and pay individual attention to the kids.

Academic wise, so-so for me since my son is pretty advanced for his age, so the school does not really value-add to his academic skills. But seen lots of social skills improvement since he joined.

Fees wise, it is $600+ (after $300 working mom subsidy, inclusive of the enrichment fees) for N1 level.

Overall, it depends on what you really want in a pre-school. If your kid is academically advanced & you are looking for a school that further value-add, then a montessori school might be better. But if you are looking for an environment where there are caring teachers and the kid learns social skills, then I would think this school is the right place.

Thanks Zayn,

actually I am looking for a place with caring teachers but also to ensure that she will be able to catch up during P1 (heard of some horror stories where the cc kids cannot read/write by P1) as my gal is on the slow side.

The fee is abit steep as I will need to incorporate school bus... sighhh...

Thanks for the info....

Hi Bloom

They do teach reading. They started to guided reading at N1 level, and the K1 kids seems to be able to write quite well.

I really admire the teachers as they are patient. My kid still need assistance with his feedings and despite it been 6 mths, they still willingly and nicely help him with his meals.

Must admit that the fees a bit steep, but overall, it is value for $$.

Hi Zayn

Do you mean that the kids are trained to write at N1 level? That is pretty advance.
happy.gif

My gal who is 2 and a half can draw a face with eyes, nose and mouth and mirror write one or two letters. She is showing improvement in colouring and do lots of painting and drawing at home. I hope these will improve her hand steadiness.

Hi Cloubhappy

They do have pre-writing skills for N1. Basically tracing of the lines; i.e. straight, curvy, etc. Saw some improvements in my son writing skills. Last time, his writing of numbers and alphabets is GIGANTIC in size, but now, it been reduced to BIG only... :p

About the nice writing, I was actually refering to the K1 kids (5 yrs old). It seems like all of them can write neatly and within the lines given. Was pretty impressed!

Back