Breast milk declining.. HELP needed from sad mom.

cuttie

Hi all,

My bb boy is coming to six mths and my breast milk started declining after i started working. Had initially hope to continue feeding him breast milk till the end of this year, but recently fell ill and could hardly pump out 4 ounces of milk! Am now morally depressed....
sad.gif

Anyone could help give me advices to help increase or restore the milk flow?

hi...actually you've done VERY well to breastmilk your child till 6 months. i think frist, you give yourself a back pat. well done!

with work, and stress, and no more direct latching on, unfortunately, supply does get low. that's our body nature.

for my case, at 6 months, i switched my boy from latch on to bottle feed exclusively. once no latching on, my milk supply decreased very very quickly. so just within ONE month, i was exclusively breastfeeding to exclusively formula bottle feeding! that's how quick my supply drop. when i did the switch to bottle feeding, i was still pumping and feeding via bottle. but it was getting harder and harder to have let down, and qty reduced quickly.

i was rather upset initially...but no choice lah. i think of it that at least i have breastfeed him for a good 6 months, as recommended by health authority. so...we've done our part... the positive side of it is that it is so much convenient and easy to use formula milk. so much for relax for mum like us!

hi cuttie,

like wounwounbee and tanlengleng have said, it's a GREAT job u've done to breastfeed your bb until 6 months.

u didn't say whether u feed yr bb breastmilk through latching, pumping exclusively or latch and pump.

If yr bb can latch then like wat leng leng said, latch as often as possible to stimulate the supply.

If you pump exclusively then u may want to refer to this site. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html
There's loads of info on decrease in supply

cuttie
i'm exclusively pumping and my boy is 6 mths.
i find that it's possible to increase supply after a dip, which for me is during my period or when i am sick.
what i do is pump more regularly - strictly 3 hourly. i eat and drink more and regularly. i also take fenugreek and goat's rue, 1 pill each a night. after 1 week my supply will be up, then i drop the pills. supply will be maintained.
due to change in environment and stress levels supply will dip when u return to work. once u r used to work routine, supply will be re-established, so don't be discouraged.

Dear Cutie,

I am express milk since week 2. Now, baby is 4 months. So far so good. The supply maintain. For expressing milk, most important is MUST express the milk on time. Previously I did every 3 hrs. Now cut down to 4 times per day :p

Hope that your supply still remain or at least half half breast milk / formula.

Jia You!!!!

hi carolynn,
i just started to express my milk and e amount pumped during the day is super pathetic like 10-20ml. but my night time EBM is around 80-100ml as i started expressing at night for about 2 weeks when I give EBM. i am currently expressing on the other side after latching baby on which is every 3-4 hours. when you mentioned to express the milk on time does it mean to express even when baby has not woken up for feed to express (from the side which i will be pumping from after her next feed?)

Hi,
my milk suppy decrease whenever I feel very stress or too tired. My therapist frm malayheritage advise me to take a nap in the afternoon and express out everytime after latching. She even bought me a vege call pengaga, as she say is recommended my m'sian gynae. My MIL fry few time the vege and I find its really helps. She also advise me to take fish, spinach,apples and breastfeeding milk to help increase the supply.

<font color="119911">hi mummies..
just to encourage bfg mummies to breastfeed as long as u can..

althou it can be tiring..but surely rewarding..
tell urself u can, and u will be able to do it..

for a start, try to regulate bfg every 3hrly..to establish the supply..either latch or express whcever method u r comfy with..invest in a gd electric pump will help u in the long run of ur bfg career, u can find breeze in bfg..

top up FM when u think it's needed..but do not stress up urself..if u find urself not having enough milk, do not be dishearted..just continue along the way &amp; even if u could only afford for 1 feed of breastmilk to baby per day..is really a chest of treasures to baby..

i was "hooked" up to expressing that i sorely expressed exclusively..somehw i felt i can measured hw much bb is drinking and it's set the frequency for baby's feeding schedule too..

once the supply is established (usually it will aft 2-4wks frm birth) &amp; right before u retn to work..stretch the expressing frequency to match the time u will be expressing out during ur working hrs..

so everyone, do jiayou! also do remember..happy baby = happy mummy = happy milk </font>

my son has been rejecting me from nursing him for 3 days ever since i raise my voice a little when he bite me. he is 9 months old.No matter how hard i tried, he just refuse my teat. So sad. Anyone konws how to coax him back?

Try sleep feeding.
happy.gif

If he bites you again,
pinch his nose, he'll need to open his mouth &amp; breath.

Jia you,
Leng Leng
happy.gif

Lindatlc,
If no choice, have to express out. My bb also like tat.. suddenly dun wanna latch on....

Back