Breast Feeding

<font face="calisto mt"> <font color="0000ff">Sunflower/SP</font>

I actually dun mind latching her but HB is worried tt it become a long term habit. Imagine still latching @ e age of 3yo.

<font color="0000ff">Ng</font>,

Jus lyk wat SP said. U can do it if u r determined to do it. It's a bit tiring then go everywhere oso got to carry e stupid breastpump ard if not bringing BB but I find it's worth it lor... Jia You ya</font>

Hi jenifur...

my son is doing just that. I feed him once a day. Which happens at nite. Rite after his 6 oz of milk. And he is coming 23 mths liao. can't stop at all. Very sianz...feel like cow. But at the same time...still like him being close to me. After the whole day at work. And he will ask for mummy's milk.

I have colleagues who are still bfing at 4 yrs old. I hope i won't last that long. He will say sometimes 'mummy no milk'. So i think he is getting it slowly.

Hi missk...

try not to let babies below 2 mths to sleep at long stretches. If they sleep more dan 3 hours...wake them up for a feed. Else they won't be getting enough and you will end up doing more nite feeds.

Audrey,
awww, yr son so cute, so sometimes he'll suck &amp; tell u 'mummy no milk'? r u still pumping?
happy.gif

can't imagine bf 4 yo kid hor
crazy.gif

hi,

my babe is 3 weeks old now and he is currently on BM and FM. however, i hv a feeling that i m not producing enough BM for my babe lately. during my 2nd week, i managed to express 2 to 3 times a day, each session abt 15-20 mins and can express abt abt 3-4 oz (depending). my babe suckled only say 3-4 times, lasting abt 10-15 mins for each session. i also used to experience engorement then.

but in my 3rd week, i started to let my babe latched on more often (ard 5-6 times) and i only express once, just before i go to bed. but each time i hv only manage to express out 2-3 oz instead. also, i no longer experience engorement.

i was told that in order to increase milk supply, it is better to let babe suckle rather than express it out. hence, i let my babe suckle more and cut down on expressing BM. and now, it seems worse.

can anyone help?

Shalan, try to pump after bb latch on. It's alot of extra work but it does help to stimulate more demand to the brain. then it will produce more the next time.

Actually, bad engorgement is only the initial weeks. when the body adjust itself, it won't feel dat bad, just full sometimes only.

All the best to breastfeeding. must be determined to go as long as poss. drink milo, take more fish.....i think it helps.
happy.gif

my bb is turning 4mths soon....still on tbf. am trying my best to bf at least till she's 6mths. pumping in the office can v quite stressful oso..

Hi Shalan,

dun give up. as wat ng says, pump after baby lateches. it really helps. My girl is turning 1yr old in 9 days time &amp; she's still on BM. She has been on TBF since birth. It's true tt it's going to be very tiring but it's really worth it. At the same time, whatever u expressed out will act as ur reserve. in the event u go back to work, you can use the older EBM to feed ur bb 1st &amp; store the current milk. Just share with u that i hv close to abt 60 packs of EBM in my freezer. So.... jia you... BREASTFEEDING IS THE BEST for our baby.

ng, understand ur situation. i've been through that too. remember.... be stress free so wont affect ur milk flow.

thanks ng &amp; joyfulstar for sharing.

jus wonder....to pump after my babe latch on....EBM will be very little right? it does not matter? what if my babe latches on every 1-2 hours? I still continue expressing it out after my babe has suckled?

Shalan, yes, definitely pump after latch, EBM will be very little....practically collecting them in drops and drops only. Sometimes, my bb sucks so much that it's almost empty, when i pump, there's nothing! But i still pump around 10-15mins each side, just to stimulate more demand. You may not see the effect immediately but after few times of pumping like dat, you will soon see that u are able to collect more &amp; more. good luck
happy.gif

Hi,

Just came up to this thread. I am on tbf my baby girl since her birth till now is 1mth6days.Can any experience mummies help to answer my question here: If i were to bring out my frozen ebm to the fridge to thawn.How many days can i keep in the fridge if i did not use it to bf my baby?

Hi adelynn,
U mentioned that u pump in office, do u sterilise the pump for each session? How many times u pump in office? each session take you how long? How much ebm collected for each session?

Halo QooSan, I'm pumping 2-3times in the office. will sterilise the pump in the morning b4 bringing to office. After each pump, i just soak it in hot water till the next use. Alternatively, u can put the whole pump into the fridge. My work is quite demanding, so i can't empty the breast totally. So each time about 15-20mins, collecting abt 150ml each time.

Hi

Is it safe to breastfeed after colouring hair? If it is not safe, then i need to express and throw away the milk right, how long must i do that? Milk expressed out 24hrs after hair colouring?

hi there,
i threw my BM away fr the time i finished colouring my hair for 24 hrs. Gynae said its safe but i juz wanna b safe. in addition, i oso asked my stylist to colour abt 1 inch away fr scalp. i damn kia see lah!
lame.gif

I also asked stylist to gv allowance ...so he didnt touch my scalp as well.

So technically its safe for bb to consume the BM lah. My milk ss not very high, so very sayang to throw away the EBM.

Hi there,
Need some help in convincing my husband on why I need to get a breast pump regardless if I am breast feeding. He doesn understand that regardless aft bb latch on we still need to pump out the remaining milk to stimulate production. His logic is "Why do We have to get a breast pump if I am breast feeding. And his reason is the whole fridge is going to be filled with milk!" He's so called logic is driving me nuts! And what do you expect me to do when there is an engorgement? Milk myself manually??

Can a kind soul pls convince him.

Hi J&S,
engorgement is no joke man. I can say my pain threshold is quite high and yet the pain fm the engorgement can make me cry.... it's tat painful...
If you have excess it's good to express out so that you can maintain your current supply.
HTHs.

Hi tare1919,
I did not avoid any food in particular when I BF my 2 kids.

Hi mummies,

I had c-section on 2 weeks ago, I heard tat our period won't be coming so fast if I am on breast feeding. But I am having some blood discharge off and on, is it normal?

jess
the lochia u r experiencing might take up to 6 wks to clear. its perfectly normal.
happy.gif
i had natural delivery and mine took abt 3 wks to clear. bfg will help to contract ur uterus faster and this will help to purge out the lochia too. hope this helps.
happy.gif

babyjan
there is no truth tt we shld stop bfg when we r sick. in fact its the best time to BF the baby when we r sick coz the babies will hv the antibodies fr our milk to fight against. but if u r hvg flu, try wearing a mask so tt u minimize the risk of passing the flu bug to ur baby. but if u r talkg abt the virus being passed to ur baby thru BM, its not true.

Hi

Any breastfeeding mummies, has lump in ur breast during breastfeeding.

Mine is about 1 cm, i dun really direct latch my bb. Mostly expressing out the milk.

Gynae say most likely is milk and suggest to wait till my milk stop production then draw out the milk....he say should not be cancer....

Any one have such problem?

Hi Andrea,

Could it be blocked milk ducts? Have you tried massaging it? Is it painful? I had a blocked duct about a few weeks ago. Also sort of like a lump. Abit painful. I made an appt to see a private lactation consultant and she helped me to massage and express out and it was better.

Hi Blueydoo,

Can i know how much does ur consultant cost to massage and express out?

I have already stop breastfeeding for past 2 weeks, u think still useful to go to the consultant? Can i have ur consultant contact no. and address.

Ya is like a lump, only painful and it feel hard when pressed.

thanks a lot.

Hi my angel, i too drink 1 cup of coffee daily, same as you, too tired liao =)

My girl is very active, don't like to sleep. Always must wait till very tired or cry till tired, then doze off. Don't know whether it's bcoz of the caffeine anot..

hi,

does anyone know how long will it tk for a frozen emb to b warmed in a bottle warmer at 70 deg celcius?

when pumping out breastmilk, do u stop only when no more milk comes out?

do u breastfeed bb on demand or by routine?

do we need to burp a breastfed bb?

Hi,

I m still breastfeeding my bb who is turning 10mths soon, but i top up w/ formula cos supply really low. Only managed to express around 1-2 oz after every 2 hrs, despite w/ e help of fenugreek. Any mummy having this problem before but successfully increase e supply?

jan jan,
<font color="0000ff">your question --> may i know if i need to breastfeed, do i need to get steriliser, food warmer n milk bottles?</font>
<font color="119911">you will need to get on stand by, in case baby is not with you at times, so you can express out the milk. And when you do with a breastpump(unless u do it manually), you need to sterilize them (unless you use the boiling/steaming method traditionally)</font>

<font color="0000ff">your other questions</font>
<font color="119911">not sure the time to warm up frozen one, cos I'm using Avent warmer, that does all the work in ard 5 - 10mins depending on the amt of milk

Usually stop pumping when u feel that your breast is 'emptied'. Or with time constrains, keep it to 10mins each breast at least.

I do on routine during the day, and demand during the night, but when bb dun drink, I do not force =).

If BB is latched on, I do not burp her. On bottle, I do.... </font>

Hope this helps... =)

hi jan jan,

i have already bought my breastpump, can i check with you, do i bring it with me to the hosp when i deliver? or only start using i discharge from hosp? i aint very sure like what i should be doing to establish my milk flow.. first few days very critical rite? do i start pumping every 2 hrs from day 1?

ting

heard fr other mommies that there wont b milk flow in the first 1 or 2 days in the hospital, so i dun intend to bring it to hospital. but if like TBF, think the nurse will jz bring ur bb to u to try to latch on, so as to stimulate our nipples.

as for the pumping session, i cant gv u any advise coz i havent started using the pumps, (i hvnt delivered yet! my edd is early oct.
happy.gif
)

Hi dear

Im first time mummy. Can anyone advise me is the food warmer for warming breastmilk? is it fast? which brand of warmer is good? Think i want to get a second hand? Anyone selling can email me at [email protected]

Ting, my suggestion is for you to bring it. I didn't use it in the hospital though, but if you have any questions on how to use it... the nurses there can help you.

Joanne, I'm using AVENT warmer... is really good! One of my best investment. =) You just have to press the correct buttons, and the warmer will warm up room temp/chilled/frozen breastmilk to the right temperature from 5mins - 15mins (depending if is frozen or not, and amt of milk).

Joanne, I used Avent food warmer. It's very quick. And it lasts very long. It's pricey but worth it.

Ting, you may want to bring your pump to hospital, although the hospital will be able to loan you their pumps (more powerful than those we can buy from outside) when you are at hospital post delivery. They will also help you with sterilization and cleaning the pump parts. When I delivered my #1, I was expressing once every 3 hours (unable to latch on cos bb was separated from me). After I was d/c, I expressed once every 2 hours for 2 months.

Anyone knew what to apply on open wpund (near nipple)?

My baby bit while drinking. there's a small open wound near my nipple.

Hi mummies, j just delivered my baby 2 weeks ago.. Try to breastfeed baby.. But he took so long to suck around 30 mins and den fall asleep.. Once I put him down he will cry for milk again .. Therefore now pumping out so that can monitor how much to give.. Currently on BM and FM during night time.. Expressing every 3 hours only manage to get 60-100 mls
been taking calcium tablet.. Will my supply increase because I read from some website for the first month is usually not much of milk. What to do to increase?

Hi,

I stopped breastfeeding 6 weeks ago. My baby is 4 months old. Can I start BF my bb again? I try to press my right breast, few drop coming out. Left breast, no milk, only got few drop of clear liquid (like water)...

How long it takes to stimulate the bf back?

thanks

Back