Breast Feeding

jolyn00

anybody can advise if we can feed baby on one breast, while pumping on the other? will it cause the other side to slow down the milk flow.

how to manage evey 3hrs getting up to feed the baby, will it cause depression if didnt sleep well?

which cooler bag & ice pack is recommended for storage of Breast milk. if i store my breast milk in fridge at work, can i use the normal warmer bag instead of cooler bag? will the brestmilk turn bad within 1hr?

Hi Jolyn,

Feeding on one breast & pumping on the other is unlikely to cause milk flow to slow down. Although i've never tried it, but some mummies find this method actually allows more milk to be expressed cos of the let-down reflex induced by baby sucking.
happy.gif

The 1st few days/weeks of BF is the toughest. After that it'll be easier (at least dun have to get up to fix formula in the middle of the night). Once u get the hang of it, can BF while lying/sleeping..heheh! And try to rest as much as u can when BB sleeps..dun bother abt housework etc, then u won;t feel too burnt out!

I used a regular cooler bag...any ice pack will do. Not sure how ur warmer bag is like? Must maintain the breastmilk at low temperature.

Hi Omg,

which brand of cooler bag u used? the warmer bag i'm refering to is those used to carry milk bottle (normally used to carry warm water)

Hi Jolyn,
My cooler bag is brandless. My friend bought for me from Kiddy Palace..it's just a small plain black cuboid bag, comes with a cold pack...i think she said it's ~$10. Not sure whether the warmer bag can maintain the temperature of the breastmilk..but it's more bulky than the cooler bag.

hi jolyn,

i actually used the baby on one side pump on the other to promote my milk production.

I ebm back at work..and the single pump made my milk amount drop drastically. So on weekends, i would let my baby drink from one side..and express the other. With the let down reflex, could get more milk from one side and increase the flow.

I changed to pump in style advance which had let down reflex after trying 1 month wif the mini electric.

If you work more than 8 hrs...try to put your ice pack in the work place freezer (store it in clean container if freezer used by others)..until you need it. With two ice packs...can maintain temp for about 12 hours tops. After that...milk cannot tahan till next day. Cannot use the warmer one leh..how to put ice pack in it?

My baby used to need 2 hourly feeds. So to keep myself sane...(i was home alone during my maternity) I sleep when he sleep. sometimes tempted to stay up later..become very grouchy for the next few feeds.

Hi Audrey,

u mean eventhough i left my BM in chiller (in office ard 8 hours), after work when i bring home (put in cooler bag with 2 ice packs, ard 45mins travelling), upon reaching home placed the BM back to chiller, the BM can only last for another 12hours?

hi jolyn,

from my own experiences, can last about 24 hours. I try not too keep too long. But it depends on how sterile you were when ebm-ing.

When i use freshly sterilized bottles and funnels and keep at constant temp, the bm can last 2 days in fridge.

If got different temp, and sterility compromised equipment (bottles and funnel), my bm turned bad if i put beyond 36 hours.

I use smell check. But i read from some...some bm can last 48 hours.

So it depends lah. You can check out other threads. They have got a lot of sites about ebm storage matters

I don't clean my nipple and areola area cos it's actually can 'self-clean'. so nt necessary to clean it everytime before latching or expressing. also afraid frequent cleaning will cause dryness.

thanks YL. but sometimes i feel that the nipple is not 'clean' esp after been in contact with the moist nursing pad...the milk that is absorbed by the nursing pad may have turned 'sour'...dont know if i too imaginative...but i just worry about hygience...

actually we should change the nursing pad often. cos bacteria might breed in the pad. so i find better don't let it become too moist before changing.

Hi all mummies,

i have a question, u c ah.. when we 1st try to pump out BM, the supply sure very little.. but we still store it in the freezer rite... then maybe 2-3 hrs later, i pump again. can i mix those freshly EBM with those tat i have stored in the freezer 2-3hrs ago and keep for future use?
cos i m thinking if din mix together, i will have a hard time to warmer up so many bottles of milk and the amount of each bottle might jus 20-30ml. waste of storage space too..

mayb i fu haven't reach the reqd amt u can chill 1st instead of freeze.
u can mix chilled ebm n freshly expressed ebm (but gotta let it cool down from ur body temp 1st)
if using within 3 days no need freeze.

u need to keep ur EBM in the bag for how many hrs? I'm using ice sheet bought from MIM. so far i using it for abt 6hrs in an avent thermal bag. works well for me.

I'm looking for a cooler bag that can put in my avent pump, bottles n ice brick. still searching. heard that munchkin cooler bag can put in all these but nt sure how it looks like. I might choose coleman cooler bag.

I heard coleman cooler bag can keep milk cold for up to 12 hrs. With 2 ice brick can even use as a mini fridge.

where can i get the coleman cooler bag? is it very big? can keep how many bottles/packs of milk?

Yan: I'm a bfing mom too.
happy.gif
You can get coleman bricks and cooler bags at Taka Dept Store, 5th level where the sports section is. The coleman section is placed near the escalator that's nearer to the spa there.

Yan
I'm nt sure abt the coleman size. cos I've only seen the pic only nt the actual bag. only know it can put in 6-12 cans of drinks.

kris and yl,

thanks for your info,,
wah 6-12 cans of drinks, then the bag must be big.. will go down have a look this weekend if bb still dun want to come out
happy.gif
my edd is on 13th mar, but till now bb not engage yet
sad.gif

how many bottles of milk u intend to put in? if u saw the bag, let me know if it can put in a avent pump, ice brick n 2-3 avent bottles. thanks

hi michelle here
to all mother out there i looking for breast milk for my 6 month old baby due to my husband pass away recently i need to be on long term anti drpession medicine my doctor say i need to stop breastfeeding totally n my baby is allgeric to formual milk once she drink formual milk she will vomit n have stomah upset my milk supply is running out already i left with only 10 packet i have try all type of milk powder but she jus cant drink she jus throw out whatever thing we give her so i hope mother out who have milk to spare can donate to me a million thank to all mother u can contact me at 93668423

hi Michelle
My heart goes out to you. It must have been tough for you. *hugz*
Understand some babies who are allergy to cow milk can actually take soy-based or goat milk. Have you consider this option? Just a suggestion but do hope there are some mummies who can donate their extra BM to your baby.

Take care, yea?

Ibs,
I was thinking of asking michelle as well through PM.

Michelle,
Can't PM u. U may want 2 turn on tat? =p

Like what Ibs ask, I read that soy based or goat milk re close to human's bm... would tix do 4 ur dear bb? I not given birth yet.. so not sure of the supply yet.. but pray 4 u that they would b ppl able 2 help u out on tix. = )

Sorry to hear abt the loss. Stay strong.

thank for your concern i gald that still got people out there who care got time i really feel like taking them with me to join my husband

Michelle
So sorry to hear abt your situation. I like to but can't donate my breast milk to your bb coz my son is 22 mth old. My breastmilk will not contain enuff nutrient for 6mth old baby. Pls be careful when u get breastmilk. Breastmilk nutrient changes according to age of baby. Baby of older age can consume breastmilk meant for baby of younger age but not the other way round. ie u can only give your baby breastmilk for baby not > 6mth since your baby is 6mth old

if u have milk to spare i dun mind if it does nt contain enough nutrient she have something better than dun have i cant bear to see her everyday jus cry non stop if u can spare me some i will be very greatful to u i have spend a lot of money jus to bring her go n see doctor a million thank to u

Michelle
I can understand how desparate u r. U c, my son is already on solid, my breastmilk will not hv enuff fat content n it will b adjusted in a way dat it is meant for a 21 mth old stomach. Your baby may not b able to digest my breastmilk. Even for formula milk there is stage 1 2 n 3 for baby of different age. Baby older than 6 mth can take stage 1 formula milk but baby < 6mth cannot take stage 3 formula milk. I m worried it is detrimental for your baby to take my breastmilk since the age gap between my son and your baby is very very wide. I am now trying to ask around to see if there are people whose baby is around or younger than your baby who can donate breastmilk to your baby. Really hope to give you good news. Please cross your fingers

Michelle
My friend saw your posting n contacted u. She is the 1 meeting u on Mon. I m waiting for 2 more replies

Hi Michelle,

This is Elaine who contacted u...sorrie tat I couldnt meet you today as I was busy. I'll contact u again. If not tis weekend means on Mon too.

Hi Shook,

Do you know if your friend is donating breastmilk one-time or on-going? Need to know so tat I can calculate my side too.

Thanks!

hi michelle, let me check with other mummies.. seems like some of them have extra.. will pass your number to them.
sorry to hear about your situation... be strong

Elaine
My friend said she need to c wat's her bb's demand to decide whether to donate on on going basis of 1 time off

Michelle
1 of my friend can donate her bm to u. Her bb is 4 mth old. She is in BKK. Will donate when she is back.

Michelle: Hi, I am carole and spoken to you on the phone this morning. I am very sorry to hear abt your situation and hoping much to help you too. Just to let you know, those EBM in the freezer will not be of the same colour as the normal EBM as they are being freezed so hope u know that its nt the milk has turned bad.

I will gather my friends to help u too.
happy.gif

hi to all mother out there
hi a millon thank to mother who have donate their bm to me i really greatful to all of u who willng to help i really very touch thank a lot

but the medicine i taking nw is fluvoamine meleate dun know wheather can change the medicine or nt btw i nw totally got no more bm already thank for your concern i really very greatful to u

Michelle
Can check wif your Dr if u can switch to breastfeeding safe anti-depressants if u like to switch

How long hv u stopped breastfeeding dat u hv no more breast milk?

Back