Birth Control pills

tamarind

Anyone taking birth control pills ? What pills are you taking ? Any side effects like weight gain, less acne, loss of sex drive ?

hi tamarind...

I'm not taking any birth control pills... but according to my gynea.. it's no good cos it will make u put on weight... Have u considered IUCD?
happy.gif

hi tamarind, I was on Diane 35 prev for skin (gives you a fantastic complexion) and also Gynera which apparently doesn't make you gain weight.. can ask your gynae for recommendations.
happy.gif

saintbaby,
I am taking Nordette now, I didn't gain weight. My menses becomes very regular and light, and the menstrual pain is much better than before. So I think it is OK for me.

Catz,
My skin does seem to have a better complexion, smoother than before and no acne at all, I didn't know that birth control pills can have this effect. Diane35 costs about $18 per packet for 1 month right ? Nordette costs about $4+. But the problem is I heard that Nordette could cause a loss of sex drive, have you experienced this with Diane 35 ? Sorry for the embarassing question.

Hey tamarind, Nordette sounds good! Yeap, Diane35 is really pricey but my mom used to get it in JB for me
happy.gif
Hmmm.. loss of sex drive, not that I can recall. But I think I have very extreme mood swings when on bcp.

Catz,
I was thinking of trying Diane35 but got scared when you said you have extreme mood swings. You mean you feel very depressed ? How long were you on Diane35 ?

Tamarind, I was on Diane for a looooong time - over 3 years for my PCOS and skin condition. I only experienced the mood swings initially. After that, OK. No, not depressed... just extremely foul tempered although, haha, it might be just a coincidence
happy.gif

hi, newbie here. i was on mercilon for abt 8 - 9 yrs before switching to loewe lately, cos due to move hse, and the nearest clinic does not carry mercilon. i would say that the experience was good while on bcp, no mood swing, acne controlled, abit of weight gain, dunno whether is it the pill or greedy for food la. actually, the new Gp recommended yasmin, but pretty ex. is a new formular bcp with weight control effect.

rtmg,
yasmin has weight control effect ? I am interested to try too ! How much is it ? Any one else has tried it ?

That's expensive ! But if it can control weight I don't mind trying.

I still have 4 packs of Nordette. I wonder if my gynae will write another prescription for me.

rtmg,
Don't you need a prescription from the doctor to buy these pills ?
I will see my doctor once and get prescription for 5 months. Otherwise have to see doctor every month is so troublesome.

Hi,

i'm currently fully breast feeding/expressing so i don't get my period. since this is the case, when do we take the birth control pills since we suppose to start taking the pill on the 1st day of the period? any idea?

hi tamarind,

i only need to see the doctor once. then i'll be able to buy over the counter, just pay for the medication.

hi orchid,

can find out more fm the gp. anyway u'll need to see the gp b4 u can purchase.start taking only when u decide to totally stop breastfeeding.

Hi mommies,

Before switching to Mercilon, i took the hormone jab but it causes spotting all the way for more than 4 weeks. @ that point of time, it really affected our sex life (hihihi... and of course, my hubby suffered so much!!!) so as recommended by the Dr, i took pill. I have been taking Mercilon since Mar tis yr. Finds that its affordable ($17)and one thing good, its improves my complexion...

Hi Veronica,I used Gynera before. It's ok for the first year, no skin and weight problem but the second year onwards, I begin to experience very bad migraine. My precription GP ask me to stop as it might be related and true to his words, I am ok now. I suggest that you monitor your health when taking any pills and stop if there are any problems.

Hello everyone, i do really need some guidence and recomendation on birth control pills, i really don't know which brand to take as there are so many out there. i heard certain brand carry lower dosage of hormone which is better, please advise. i also heard that there are some good and bad effect on using them, some says it causes infertility for prolong use, is it true? im considering on bcp as i had really bad cramps during period and oily face.. any advise is really appreciated.

When I asked for bcp, my gynae recommended yasmin too. However, I find it expensive. Yes, abt $20+/mth. She said some will even lose some weight after taking it. She actually gave me a 4mth prescription but I decided against it as it is ex leh.
uhoh.gif

I used to take Diane35 before my baby. The gynae quoted me $35 per pack. It did improve complexion but I became really bloated and gained weight. When i became pregnant, i switched gynae cos i didn't trust the previous one due to her over enthusiastic sales pitch. Now my new gynae quotes Diane at about $20+ (not really sure there) and yasmin at $18. I feel really ripped off by the former gynae.. Diane 35 makes you dry. very dry. but it improves after i stopped taking it. *blush*

Hi

My gynae recommended to take Yasmine for 3 mths due to cysts problem...but i have headaches very frequent due to stress and worried that it will cause more and also worried about fertility in future..any advices?

Saintbaby, are you using IUCD? How do you find it? Will it make us gain weight or dryness? How is the procedure like? Is it painful?

hi all,

basically i need some help on which doctor should i go to on advice on how to use the pill..do i go to a gynae or just a normal gp?..do you have to know your menstrual cycle before taking the pill?

Hi stacy,
You can go to any GP. First visit, he will take your blood pressure, find out if your menses is regular, ask you a little bit of your medical history such as drug allergy etc and he will also find out about your lifestyle, e.g. smoker, whether you drink etc etc.

Then he will recommend you the pill and teach you how to take it. Usually have to take the pill for 21 days then stop for 7 days then continue again, then stop again, then continue....the cycle goes on. Subsequent visits you can buy off the counter as they have your records, so don't have to keep consulting doctor. But once a year have to go for pap smear.

If you intend to get pregnant, doctor will advise you to stop pill and wait for 3 menses cycle before you attempt to get pregnant.

Hope the info helps.

Hi samval,

Thanks, your info helped alot.

I've got another question though. Does the pill work as a contraceptive on the day you take it or does it take some time to work?

my gynae told me to start taking my first pill on the first day of my menses but i did not listen to her. i have very irregular menses n i couldnt wait to start!so, i started it 2 weeks b4 my menses. now that my menses is here. wad shld i do??

Hi Veronica,
We need to follow the gynae's instructions strictly. You should visit your gynae ASAP and consult her on what to do.

hi stacy,

the pill takes some time to work. to place safe, usual one cycle, so better to double up with condom in the beginning until your first menses after the pill.

do you have any plans to start a family in the future? if you have, perhaps it's a good idea to consult a gynae before you start on the pill. coz the gynae will check your reproductive organs to make sure you are normal and appear fertile. otherwise, people who have problem conceiving will be advised against the pill.

there are also many kind of pills out there in the market. all with different level of hormones. the newer ones in the market have lower level with lower possiblility of weight gain. there are also some that can reduce acne, depending on your needs but these are usually the stronger ones. you can ask the doctors about the different kinds available.

Hi ladies, I was on Diane 35 for almost a year plus too. I think side effects like mood swings, weight gain may not apply to all. But doc recommended this to me to treat my skin condition and menses cramps. It really works!

So far, no major side effects that I can remember. I was hoping for weight gain though...hahahha coz I'm too slim.
happy.gif
Hope it helps.
happy.gif

Hi Gals,

I tot u may want to know that studies have shown that birth control pills are linked to increase risk of cancer and ectopic pregnancies among many other side effects such as mood swings. Besides, they are not 100% effective.

I would suggest an alternative called Natural Family Planning using the Billings Method. It's basically charting your own menstrual cycle and knowing your fertile and infertile periods based on the look and feel of the mucus discharge. Studies have shown that it is more than 99% effective in delaying pregnancies (statistics obtained from thousands using this method across the globe including China and India). Monitoring allows you to understand your own body and cycles better. Hence, you can easily detect if something is not quite right with your body (such as early signs of cervical cancer). This method is very effective for those with irregular periods as well! Best of all, it's Free and Natural! And guess what? When you want to try for a baby, you know exactly when you are ovulating! Works both ways! You can search the internet or books on Billings Method. Happy charting! By the way, it's not the counting method... that is already obsolete. :)

Hi Gals,

I posted this tip in the other thread but I'll put it here as well.

U may want to know that studies have shown that birth control pills are linked to increase risk of cancer and ectopic pregnancies among many other side effects such as mood swings. Besides, they are not 100% effective.

I would suggest an alternative called Natural Family Planning using the Billings Method. It's basically charting your own menstrual cycle and knowing your fertile and infertile periods based on the look and feel of the mucus discharge. Studies have shown that it is more than 99% effective in delaying pregnancies (statistics obtained from thousands using this method across the globe including China and India). Monitoring allows you to understand your own body and cycles better. Hence, you can easily detect if something is not quite right with your body (such as early signs of cervical cancer). This method is very effective for those with irregular periods as well! Best of all, it's Free and Natural! And guess what? When you want to try for a baby, you know exactly when you are ovulating! Works both ways! You can search the internet or books on Billings Method. Happy charting! By the way, it's not the counting method... that is already obsolete. :)

let's share my exp with the bcp. after consuming bcp, i got better skin n no more menses pain n became accurate. no effect on sex drive n didn gain weight at all. i got it from polyclinic which only costed me ab SGD1.50 per month(can't remember the brand). starting got mood swing, but only 2 days i think. the poly nurse told me if i want baby later, i can only get pregnant 6 months after i stop the bcp. However, as soon as i stop, i get pregnant....which is a good thing for me too..
happy.gif

you go to any polyclinic look for family planning advice, the nurse will help you. So far they gave me 2 brand, both ok for me, and cheap.

I would advise that you read the fact sheet that comes with the pills carefully.

I have been taking Nordette. The fact sheet stated that if the woman gets pregnant while taking this pill, the baby may have deforms. This really disturbs me.

hi
am wondering if its alright to take diane-35 for consectively 2-3 years? will it affect fertility rate? cos i took it from sep 05 and planning to have a child in mar 08. thanks!

Hi, I have been using Yesmin an realised my menses only lasted for 3 days. In addition its dark n colour. Previously, the colous is fresh. Not sure if there is any problem with me.

rapidwonder
I'm on Yesmine too. Although my period lasts only 3 days, the colour is 'fresh'. May be it's up to individual?

i am on gynera previously but it makes me gain a lot of weight. now i switch to yesmine and its makes my complexion smoother and no weight gain.

Been on Yasmine now.. Seems like only the first 3 days having headache but after that no more.. Menses last about 4 days.. then even having weight lose.. about 1 kg.. taken about a week already.. some say even the breast will bust up.. so.. let's see how..
Went to a GP for Family Planning and recommand this.. saying the BCP is safer than using a condom... Yasmine cost me about S$23...

Anyone looking for Diana 35? I still have 2 packet which I don't need anymore. Selling cheap.

I heard you can buy Yasmin very cheap in Bangkok. So stock up when you are there.

If you want something cheap, try Nordette.

not going to Bangkok ler..
sad.gif

bluesear... convinient to get some for me? I can get from you if you stay or work nearby my place...

Back