Being SPECIAL ,...

are
oh u haf some mic key feeding tube to give away ah? i m using mic key also leh... dunnoe if its the same leh... maybe we can compare the specification? or its e same for all? i also dunnoe... yah loh... very exp loh.. i rem tat time i bought one tube for abt $30 leh...
ur gal is on continuous feeding ah? as in the flow into her stomach is 24 hours? so it will be hard for u to bring her out also?
AFO.. hope my gal can get used to the AFO soon bah..

angelmum
ohh... my elder wan ah.. she ll try to "take care" of her sis whn we ask her to loh... she ll like, "mei mei, dun cry dun cry"... after tat back to her own toys or activity loh... haha.. .but we ll always emphasis her to take care of her younger sis... so at least whn we grow old n gone, thers still someone to care for my younger gal...
well.. 3rd one ah.... i wish.... i will if i strike toto loh... cos i find my elder wan abit lonely, since her sis is special.. so nobody to realli play wif her.. but realli cant afford loh..no money n no time..my hubby also dun wan.. so i better give up the idea n dun bring more sufferings to my life loh...
happy.gif

tokin abt teachers day gift... anyone has gt any good ideas wat to give? mus not be too exp n pratical bah.... ?

Hi Carrie...my gals paediatrician says she believe in brain washing, everytime we visit her, she will brain wash my #2...tell her next time must look after the jie jie ok...anyway my #2 blur blur look at her...but hopefully the words really goes into her brain...

As for teachers day gift, last year i bought Famous Amos Cookies for the teachers...think this year will be the same lor...cookies can eat wat...and won't become white elephant...

Hi Angelmum...dat means i have to push the teacher, then my gal will have higher chance to have ST lor? Ok, then i go talk to her next week...no wonder Anita's gal get individual ST, cos last term we really complaint like wat...shd have stay there...haiz...

hey all... my ger rachael is also on the website. i'm 31 tis yr, but we hv decided against another kid for the time being. we are financially strapped as we had rachael immediately aft we got married, so was in debts and never tot we will lose 1 income when my maids all played me out and left. so now we've decided i prob wun be able to work for at least a yr cos i juz got a new maid and she's not too gd w my ger. hubby is doing part time property to supplement now.

besides, think unlike your children, rachael has quite a number of medical probs, so its quite usu she's in hospital. at her peak, she's in every 2-3mths, and i was working FT then, and sometimes daddy overseas, so it was quite terrible. she's better now, but due for a major heart op next yr, so i can forget abt working liao.

and i also believe in brain washing! ha! since my niece was 2 or 3, i always tell her, next time ai yi go heaven, what muz you do? and she will now auto reply "take care of baby rachael". she's such a darling. since she was young, she's watched us tube feed rachael and never asked why. she noes rachael cant play with her, so she will play beside her. only time she asked me was why rachael cant tok when she's already 3, think she's lonely and looking for companion. but we are not putting hopes on anyone lah. our own kid wat. we can only save as much as we can so at least if we not around, whoever has to take over has the $$. we also looked into our own health now lor, cos cant afford another person w medical prob or for us to leave b4 her mah. and also insurance! ha! cant buy for her, so hv to buy for ourselves lor.

i was previously from BSS. i stay in toa payoh so BSS was a 15mins taxi or bus for me last time. but now yishun is too far to go by peak hr taxi, so we hv to take mrt, and i hv to walk to the stn near my place also. then aft tat trek to YPSS from khatib lor. gd exercise but really tiring man!

carrie... my ger is on bolus feed, but i like to use the long thin tube which i think is for contd feeding. lucky she is on bolus, we bring her everywhere and even feed her in the open. we juz find a quiet corner if we cant find a baby rm, then sit on the flr and feed her lor. the extra tubes tat i hv is the fat, short one. i've seen some parents use tat for bolus feed so if u want, i can pass to you. i'm using mic-key balloon kind. else, u can pm me your email, i send you a pic.

i bot some cakes for the teachers and therapists already. cos tat day daddy was able to go w us so got him to buy. rachael has been very kindly treated always so we sometimes buy them food anyways. we always think buy food easier, cos they can share, and sure will not go to waste lor.

oh... and another food for thought. hv you all set your will? cos i ever read somewhere once tat special children are most poor things if their parents leave without setting a will, cos no one can fight for them. so 2 years back, me and hubby went to set out wills, and appointed my sis as a guardian for rachael should anything happen to us. think tis is quite important cos they will need all these "official" things esp if they are in hospital.

angelmum... i'm also part of club rainbow, but has not been able to attend any events so far. just requested for mooncake festival tix so hopefully i finally get to attend an event! i already feel very blessed. cos we were able to bring racheal on a cruise and also to bintan. both were low costs trips, but at least she's been out of the country and we had a chance to bond as a family in another way too. but i guess i will only return to bintan next yr for our trip, cos cruise was a waste of $$, and bintan was very very enjoyable, and only 45mins away, and they hv medical team available too. we had a really gd time when we went last mth. din do much, just relax and stroll around. and it was pretty affordable.

AFO - i got mine when there was a free consultation arranged by the sch to go MDSS. but there was no subsidy, and i understand you just need a referral to get a pair done. but so ex, $130 per leg. my ger has outgrown a bit but daddy say tahan for a while more lah, just get bigger shoes! ha! but i muz agree my ger is standing better aft she's got AFOs. her ex-classmates even started walking aft he got his. but then again, he sees pte PT very often, i too lazy and soft hearted to force my ger lah! hehe... another lazy mum... :p

sorrie for the long post, but its really nice to tok to ppl who understand! hehehe...

aiyoh... its ok lah are... ther will be many ppl here to hear u out... so u can post long long threads also nvm... haha
are... i alreadi PM u my email... thank you
happy.gif

my gal also go in n out KK quite often, almost at least 3-4 times for the past 2 yrs, n the longest stay was ard 3 wks..! its reali very tiring to be hospitalised loh... cos gt to work, after work thn rush dwn.. its like a chalet for us loh...but i guess nobody will like this kind of chalet loh.. keke...

looks like rainbow club does haf quite numbers of events to go overseas hor? so good... hope i haf chance to bring my gal to go overseas wif my gal too
happy.gif
my hubby was sayin bringin her to batam/bintan, since nw we still able to carry her easily... later whn she grow bigger, will be more difficult.. hope the plan will work out loh.. cos he always say say say... neber action wan...
hw to join rainbow club?

hope every kids here stay healthy n stay away from the hospital !!!

hey carrie... thanx for "listening" to me! will take a pic soon and send you.

aiya, i go kk so often, the nurses and doctors know me liao. my new maid go with me for appt, come bac ask me if i work there cos every corner i turn, there will be someone to tok to me. sigh... i also told hubby everytime i pack my hospital bag, like going holiday. cept i wish i was going *KL* instead of *KK*!!! ha! i hv a packed hospital bag for the longest time liao. and already very used to packing for hospital, cos i will stay there with her one. at least you get a break and go to work, i stay there 1 wk, i want to ki siao liao. so PM when daddy is there, i will go hm rest a while also gd. and sometimes i know will stay long (like for op), i will bring suitcase. always cracks me up when other parents in the ward looked at us in disbelief, like how come this one like on holiday like tat, then the nurses will all come and say hello, and they all wonder who we are. many times ppl ask me if i work there lor. ha!

club rainbow has a lot of activities, cos they also have heart/cancer/very sick kids, and i heard a lot of major sponsors work with them. like last mth, got free tix to high school musical on ice lor. i was referred by my doc, i dun noe if you can just join. you can drop them a mail maybe? else i sms my social worker and ask for you?

bintan is really a gd place to go. we recommend it to all our frens aft we bac. you can bring stroller too, very easily accessible, and staff there v helpful. but really nothing to do one lor, unless sea sports. just relax only. we went to nirwana grp, 2 thumbs up. we booked a chalet for ourselves, only $500 for 3D2N. i heard batam not as clean and enjoyable as bintan. but this one is we go ourselves one lah, not with CRC.

Yukee
A bit of nagging & reminder shld see some progress. Was told ex-MDSS will be scheduled with therapies (PT shld be already in) & Aqua earliest 09. Said they need to assess + a lot kids on waitlist.

Teacher's Day
My usual thot of things to bring or buy is food (crazy for food) but teachers are Muslim so not all food suitable. Wanna make jelly, fried bee hoon or bake muffin also cannot cos oven n utensils not halal. Everytime MDSS, party in class I buy cakes or kueh .... light and convenient. Furthermore, got the halal logo!

Practical presents, hard to find but I bot something they can pass-on or keep if unsuitable.

Club Rainbow
I was introduced to CRS by Sym classmate's mum. Joined last yr so was an experience to go cruise. Only thing, a lot of time spent on waiting (stretched fm 1hr to 3hrs) and Sym no patience (I also bay ta han especially 1st day, got to stand and wait). <font color="ff0000">KKH referred me to CRS, need doc to do the referral.</font>

are, how u came to know crs n that RGN site? u joined very long? I could still be trapped in my turtle shell if wasnt introduced to crs. The events usually with shuttle so makes my trip easier + got volunteers to help out. Initial events, I was totally alone with 2 kids (HB working) so was so hard to bring them out if no mrt. With crs, I was happy cos got ppl help take care of Sym or carry stroller. I doubt this yr I can join their overseas trip cos hvnt saved $ + heard last yr went, this yr chances will be reduced so others who didnt go last yr, got chance to travel.

KKH
I 'holiday' twice cos Sym had Samonella when was still a bb. They provided a folding bed so both 'holiday' HB camp over. Was quite unhappy cos I had to do all the feeding and diaper changing. Nurse only took Sym's temperature. I visit KKH for seizures and Eye so go clinic about 4-5x a yr. Initailly wanted to transfer to Jurong Medical centre cos nearer but decided not go cos no need to go clinic so frequently + worry I hop onto the wrong 'bus'.

hey are, I know the above site that are posted. Another for ref http://www.do2learn.com/ but didnt buy any. I get cheaper alternatives or diy to save $. For eg, I worry Sym will roam ard in the night while I zzz so I fenced her single bed. She's confined in bed if she wants to wake up in the night, I'm not worry she up to no good. I heard an ex-classmate mum said she custom made one that cost $1k.

Maybe we will get to meet in YPS or CRS .... didnt rec news about mooncake event, guess we in different grp (没我的份
sad.gif
).

Buy &amp; Sell - special aids
When was at MDSS, I did suggest to sch to create a buy &amp; sell noticeboard so mummies who dont mind 2nd hand stuff can transact. But they didnt want. I guess no point suggest to YPS. I know AFO and other aids quite expensive. Anyway, mummies might want to surf www.rehabmart.com.sg cos they hv a recycle option. <font color="ff0000">Wish there's a site for special needs parents to get cheaper stuff.</font> B4 I bot the Maclaren buggy (common in sch) I actually asked for 2nd hand cos 1st hand cost $500. Also can request at www.passiton.org.sg if u belong to low income grp.

I very long winded ..... this time didnt break my postings
biggrin.gif

are
i areadi received ur email. thank you. but we usuali also use the other wan also leh... so neber use tat also..
happy.gif
emm, dun haf to sms ur social worker lah.. dun haf to trouble u.. its ok
happy.gif
thanks anyway
aiyoh..stayin at kk is real torture loh.. nothing much to shop also.. should build a shoppin centre beside kk, thn whn we free can go ther n shop shop... haha

looks like bintan is a good place to go...mus plan mus plan...
RBC like pretty good, gt quite no. of activities ... bring more life to our kids hor... too bad i m not referred leh...

angelmum
it ll b great if thers a buy n sell place for second hand special aids... esp those special seats wherby our children will outgrown so fast, pay so much, thn use 2-3 yrs onli, very waste money
sad.gif

carrie
u visit KKH PD or neuro? Just ask any doc to fill up the referral form to get into CRS. They wont automatically ask, u need to request. I believe CP kids are in the list of qualified child. If KKH had suggested or put up some prominent notice, I would hv got Sym into CRS long long ago! Wont be so helpless the past few yrs. Even the social work dept MSW also didnt pin up such news. Was surprised they had an office in KKH.

I know some mums (like me wanna save $) diy a bit. Heard one said she used hard stylofoam to 'craft' a seat .... if special sch can be more helpful, just provide a notice board or a <font color="0000ff">Sg based buy &amp; sell/exchange - special aids </font>will be so nice and convenient .... sometimes, we really dont know who to turn to. Not everybody so loaded can spend $ like water. Some ppl just had their household income sightly above the requirement and were denied of financial help
sad.gif
sad.gif
. Govt didnt bother to help us get cheaper stuff nor provide a site at one click. To find something, it's like merry go round. Sometimes, wasted time &amp; effort still didnt get a solution.

Some 2nd items at Rehabmart considered X cos need to pay third party fee. Even if we set up a website ourselves, if nobody knows also no use.

carrie... aiya, wasted leh, dun noe wat to do with those tubes. if you see other kids using, let me know hor, i'll be happy to pass to anyone. aiya, even got tons of shops also no mood to shop when ah ger stays in lor... i usu just read a lot of mags. but now got wireless surf wor.

just nice my club rainbow social worker called me today so i asked her abt referral. she say any dr in kkh can refer and they will take in. same as wat angelmum say.they cant take direct cos need dr to fill in med part of form.

can consider bintan lor. cheap and nice. the beach is really powdery sand and clear water kind. and the chalet we stayed in, the beach is right in front lor. you got fb? i can pm you my fb name then you add me and you can see my bintan pics.

angelmum... actually, my genetic dr is the one who worked with club rainbow to start RGN, so tats why i was in. and rare genes is started by a mummy i knew frm kk lor, so she got me in also. both only started last year lah, so you din lose out much! there was another charity i was roped into cos i was under homecare, viriya. they organised twice yearly buffet so we just attend. but now they dropped me leh, aft my coordinator left, wonder when they will take me back.

i also think special aids so ex. we bot a stander frm BSS when they moved and did a flea mkt. bot for $50, when its supposed to be $3K+. but a lot of screws missing, so hubby had to fine tune a bit lor. also seldom put ah ger in, aft 10mins of adjustments, she will cry aft 10mins standing. very discouraging lah! ha!

it is very diff to care for a special child, which is why i support the rare genes lor. cos it provides a platform for us to interact with each other, instead of just events like club rainbow. my fren is working on getting it more helpful, so do join and give your feedback. i already asked them to start a forum like tis so we can hv discussions on diff topics. maybe you all can ask your classmates' parents to join also.

to get to know each other better, can i suggest we do this?

<table border=1><tr><td>nick</TD><TD>child's name</TD><TD>child's age</TD><TD>school</TD><TD>session </TD></TR><TR><TD>are - SAHM</TD><TD>rachael</TD><TD>3+</TD><TD>YPS</TD><TD>EIPIC - 1,3,5 am</td></tr></table>

hello

i thot i would drop a note. i have 1 son and he has CP. my son is 18mth old and cant roll. kkh doctor said he is spastic QUAD and referred us to Pasir Ris EIPIC. The therapists there played with him and said he is more of athetoid CP rather than spastic SP. if moderate, there is a chance for him to walk one day. if severe, then maybe not. I am still trying to come to terms with the idea and hoping/praying for the best.

After my son, i had a misabortion too at 9 weeks in Feb this yr, din plan for pregnancy at all cos hoping for my son to improve first. Now (never plan again), hit again - at 5 weeks now... i am gg KKH nxt week see gynae. very frightened but hoping for the best. cant help being paranoid but i oso blv in fate. anyway, would like to get in touch with mums of special kids for support. my son is so cute (haha - thick skinned). I am very sad that he has this condition.

Carrie,
may I know where do you go for acupuncture? and at the Pasir Ris centre, is it always the same therpist that attend to one kid, or is it every session different therapist? That day during the assessment, they are soooo frenly. I felt automatically at ease.

are, whose yr genetic dr? Dr Lai? Understand RGN in CRS also setup not long. Another child (the person who introduced me) also AS but he's in premies grp while I RGN. Nvr heard viriya .... will surf net later. Felt it's gd to go outing and meet ppl in the same boat.

RGN site - maybe yr RGN site not only can hv a chat forum for all special needs parents (not just RGN) but also a place for parents to source info as well as do buy &amp; sell/exchange. Once there's a forum gd enough to provide info/needs to special needs parents, I believe ppl would be delighted to join by word of mouth. How many members yr RGN has at the moment?

So u tabulating the 'members' in this thread? I hvnt learnt. But I can do an image if necessary.
1666464.jpg
sample only, draft

Also, indicate the child diagnosis, makes newcomer understand at one glance.

1666465.gif
We got another newcomer kia. Everybody here to share and grumble .... hope our days will be better. No need worry u long winded or boring.

kia, do all necessary checkups. After Sym, I had an abortion cos foetus 'weird', got the 'Mickey Mouse' sign - Acrania pregnancy. Maybe I'm a killer but I'm no saint nor unbeatable, able to take care of another special child.

Yukee, today our class had early T Day celebration. I wasnt informed so went empty handed. Last time at MD we didnt celebrate T Day so quite surprised when teacher said got party.

Sch giving out form for Holiday Aqua class - meant for EIPIC &amp; PCMH. I'm not signing up.

btw, kia
many ppl say my girl looked like angel, so pretty ... another thick skinned mummy!!

are
will let u noe if thers any kid who will need that feeding tube loh.. or actualli can give it to the home care nurse at KK, thn mayb she can give to someone who is in need of tat loh... u noe her? yah. i gt FB also... so mayb u can add me? [email protected] so i can view ur beautiful bintan pics.. keke... thanks alot yah.. for the shopping mall part, i jus joking ard lah..
happy.gif

kia
i usualli bring my gal to a TCM @ changi road, near kembangan mrt..but onli for " tui na", onli tried acc once... u bring ur gal for acupuncture? actualli u can consider bringin ur son ther also, if u not stayin too far..
my gal's condition is also QUAD CP, n she currently attendin EIPIC at pasir ris CP centre loh... wher u stayin? n which neuro Dr u seeing at KK?
btw, congrats tat u gt 'hit'
happy.gif
hope everything will goes on smoothly... although its alreadi very tough to bring up a special kid, but since its alreadi fated for u to haf a second one..thn its luckY! least ur son will haf a company soon...!
ohh... the therapist will be usualli the same one unless shes on leave or wat loh... yah.. most of the therapists ther are quite nice n friendly wan
happy.gif

btw, welcome to this thread...

i suppose all mummies are thicked skinned wan lah... n every kid is pretty n cute!

hi all
aiyoh, i tried addin my details to continue the table, but cant...
sad.gif
in the end, formulated a table n upload.. pai sey.. lousy... so if one of u can, jus help me add my details can.. haha

Hi mummies, i wanted to continue the table but i donno how to do it leh...like Carrie, can some1 add in for me?

Nick/Roll : Yukee/SAHM
Child Name/age : Jia Xing/3+
School/Class : Rainbow Centre YPS/EPIC(Tue &amp; Thur - am)
Diagnosis : Down Syndrome

Hi Angelmum, today my HB send my gal to school...he abit blur one &amp; i haven't check my gal bag yet...so donno anything abt the holiday class...i received a form last week is re aqua also, think is a 1 day class, if i am not wrong quite expensive...so i won't be going, also b'cos recently my gal keep having runny nose and always takes long time to recover...but today i keep my finger cross &amp; let her go for her aqua (cos she like it so much)...i think my gal's class have not celebrate the T day yet...aiya my HB everything also donno one lah...ask him he always say donno...

Hi Kia...if you need some1 to talk to, come to this thread...let us encourage each other...

wah qiam ley. To open Carrier's info, must save file into my PC 1st?

I was surfing and thot this links might be useful:

MCYS child with special needs
http://fcd.ecitizen.gov.sg/PersonsWithDisabilities/ChildrenServices/

MILK (Mainly I Love Kids) http://www.milk.org.sg/milk/index.php

Hi Yukee
I find Aqua not tempting cos 12 kids there and only one PT, not Anthony!! So how much time I get to learn and interact with PT? u heard Aqua need to pay? Was told exMD kids can only hv aqua next yr .... how come u so fast chop a place, I jealous ley!

hello....

angelmum,
what is MD? by the way where is the aqua class held? in the school?

carrie,
thanks for the info. what is the name of the TCM? The acupuncture is for the limbs, or the head (to stimulate brain)? Maybe I will check the place out first. i stay in bedok area. my son dun see neuro leh. he sees kk neonatologist, along with other doctors (gastro lah, lung lah, etc) but not the neuro...

yukee,
thanks for the welcome.

kia
MD - Margaret Drive Special Sch (Sym's ex sch)
Aqua swimming r held in Rainbow Centre MD and YPS branch

I tried TCM but only accupunture on Sym's head cos I can only stop her hands fm reaching the head. Other parts I might accidently hit or press on so when Sym's was 3 - 4yrs old, I brought her accupunture cum chinese massage ... duration 30-45mins. The needles are very fine and it wont bleed as long as she doesnt touch it.

Carrier, yr TCM is it Yu Guo?

Hi Angelmum...sorry, just found out the aqua is only $15/pax or $20/couple, held on 2Sep at YPS and 3Sep at MDS...its a 1 day workshop...think is for parents who want to do it for their children ba...anyway not going...i did not chop the place, i think mine is just normal swimming, only teacher with her no PT around...btw, YPS has change Jiaxing to another class when school reopen, they say the class is more suitable for her...anyway they are doing the same thing, so what is more suitable?...she just get use to the teachers and routines of the new school, now she has to start all over again (she has problem adapting to new thing recently)...really dono what to say...haiz...

Yukee
Was told our pool need repair thus the kids got to go MD ... will go old sch visiting but not next wk. We will be scheduled a dental appt so I go say belated good bye. Wasnt able to bid bye bye cos Sym sick during last MD sch outing (last wk of sch)

So weird suddenly change class. Teacher allowed u sit in to help Jiaxing adapt to new class? They didnt inform u earlier?

hiyadah
Rainbow's sch holiday is same as normal sch.

kia
Sym went when she was younger, no more cos it's near Boon Keng mrt - too far but cheap cos is works like Zhong Hwa (Charity). Seems to work but progress not very obvious cos I go weekly. Shld be 2 - 3x a wk. Think Bedok, the nearest TCM is Yu Gou, near Kembagan mrt (nvr gont b4), quite expensive but heard not bad.

hi gals,been busy for a few days. hearing test n therapy..
angelmum- thanks for chart. easier to relate who is who. ")

hiyadah-
my child is globally delayed. may i know the condition of ur child which led u to participate in this thread?

Hi mummies,

My 2 year old son has been referred to the EIPIC program for Autism.

I am deciding between moral eipic (opp Admiralty MRT) and rainbow YPS... can't decide which one to go.. Moral eipic directly puts child into class of about 6 - 7 children with 3 teachers, no 1 to 1 sessions..

At rainbow, the social worker says they will put the child 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 first for one term, then let child join group after the first term..is it true?
Would also like to find out how is the services at rainbow Yishun Park / Moral eipic.

Yishun park has full 1.5mths of school holidays which school fees and tpt fees are still payable.. so by the time my son is enrolled, probably already holidays ! haha.. sigh.

YOur advises / experiences is most appreciated!
many THANKS!!

hmm actually my doc didnt diagnose her wif anything but doc did made a referal for my kid to go to special sch. last yr in march, my gal got a place at rainbow mcnair but i decided not to put her in.
anyway my gal is delayed in her milestones wen she was young. like start crawling at 15mths, etc.. she also has hypotonia. so from 6mths, she started physiotherapy every mth at kkh. so during 1.5yr checkup, doc decided to refer to epic program.

well, my gal is now 3yrs. shes still behind her peers in some aspect, has started going to therapies again. now going ot, pt, st. i stopped going for therapy wen she was 2yrs.

shauna, wat makes doc diagnose yr child as globally delayed? he is 19mths now, wat is he like.. crawling? can stand n cruise?

doc has done alot of tests such as ct scan, mri and all but still she cant find anything wif my gal. so till now, doc never diagnose her wif anything. might sound weird that shes refered to special sch but without any diagnosis.

hidayah-
my son is 19months. he hit most milestones quite on time below age one. rolling at 4 months, sitting at 8months,crawling at 11months but only pulled himself up to stand at 15m and then still cruising.
we are attending therapies at CDU at NUH,ot, st and pt. but the costs are hefty as we're charged as pte patients. i was the one who requested for the hastening of his application to rainbow. the specialist recommended us to wait till he was 2 years of age, but i knew the waiting list was long and it is not detrimental for my boy to attend epic, so asked the doc to go ahead.

is ur gal walking already? i feel the therapists can impart a diff perspective to what we do everyday. and we do alot! i constantly feel like i have to teach him something all the time. which is very draining. but if we can make the most of the 1st 6 years then we must!

thats why i drive myself mad. haha

rainbow club-
what an excellent recommendation to the "more experienced" mommies here. gonna print out form n ask pd to refer.

angelmum-
symphony is a bearutiful name..")

bringing kids out-
we still try to take our boy to restaurants (rarely tho!) even tho he's largely uncooperative and i get really panicky. do u gals take the kids out alot? feel damn sian when pple give u the "look" when ur boy is making a fuss. maybe its harder coz our kid looks "average" but does not always behave or perform up to standard. sometimes even my ILs will expect him to sit thru a meal or think that i can toilet train him. jus ranting.

Shauna - yr hearing test is yearly review or just once? Tks for yr compliments!

I also dread go out but with CRS, more willing to step out. What's yr child name? SAHM? forgot liao. <font color="ff0000">Newcomers, do provide details so I can update my image ... I very blur &amp; confused who is who and what happened. </font>

Rence - welcome
Dont know about Moral eipic, govt or pte sch?
Rainbow's epic class also about 6 - 7 children but only 2 teachers. Some class got volunteer. 1 to 1 sessions usually for work time, ard 15mins. Therapist 1 to 1 if they felt the child work better in such arrangement. Otherwise, heard is grp therapy. Yukee and are still in epic so can offer better idea.

Sch fee and transport fare applicable even though there r sch holidays. Thus I prefer mrt. Also no merry go round, waste time + too early pick up time. Where u stay?

hidayah - some child done alot of tests such as ct scan still no diagnosis so most doc refer to milestones and assess what child can/cannot do. Eg a 6mth old can flip or sit up but if passed 1yr old still cant means unusual - dev delay.

It is not uncommon to hv no diagnosis, hv seen a few cases in sch. <font color="0000ff">EIPIC - Early Intervention Programme for Infants</font>, aim to give infants and young children a good head start in helping them in their development. EIPIC serves children with intellectual and developmental delay up to 6 years old, and children with cerebral palsy and multiple disabilities up to 4 years old.

Some parents simply cant accept an abnormal child or place child in special sch, especially no diagnosis at all. They hoped for miracle and comfort themselves nothing is wrong, no need to over worry. By doing so, it could reduce the child's learning chance &amp; abilities.

Sym was with KKH Rehab b4 placement in MDSS. We only get to see the therapist monthly cos they short of therapists. It wont benefit the child cos weekly is better.

Yr girl walking, can communicate with u? Can read and write? Fm yr posting, it seemed u stop all therapy and not attending sch, right?

Hi Angelmum,

Thanks for your advise.
Moral EIPIC is one of the EIPIC centre but run by the Moral Society of Singapore. I am staying in Woodlands.

Will be dropping by Rainbow yishun to see the social worker to find out more. Thanks again~

1674529.jpg

Hi Rence
Even made wrong choice, can still move over to another sch that u felt better.

Hi Hidayah
Hope u dont find my words too strong. JMHO

angel-
hearing test wasnt a review. we did 2. this 2nd one we went require sedation. and results were normal. well.. sometimes u duno what is worse, do u? hearing impairment or a delay with no answers.
anyway, answers aside, what's CRS?
i'm a sahm..

Hi Rence, think 1 to 1 is only for very young one, like baby...like my gal start with 1 to 1 when she is 9mths, after 1yr is 2 to 1, now she is 3 so is 6-7 to 1...as for therapy, i heard my gal is having individual PT, others are in groups no speech therapy yet...you shd go down to find out, but have to be fast, cos sometime no vacancy you need to queue...also is good to let the child to start early...my frend suspect her son having autistic when he was 1yr, although PD can't confirm, she tried to let him go to all therapys she can find, now he is better, but only no eye contact...

Angelmum!!!...i cannot tahan liao...jiaxing's ex-classmate was in the class where she is changing to...heard from the mum, few of the classmate there are much older &amp; some bully her daughter &amp; donno what the teachers had done also, the daughter don't want to go to school &amp; had nightmare everyday and got sick for almost a month, the PD wrote a letter to MD to let her change back immediately...i was so upset and just now i went back to MD to request for changing back...the EIPIC head says will try to fit jiaxing in next year...hope nothing will go wrong this year, if not i will pull her out 1st.

The school didn't inform me, they only put a letter in the comm book...really very upset on this matter...

BTW Rence, can i know where i know where is Moral EIPIC, or is there any website i can go? Cos i want to find other alternatives for my gal.

three cheers to angelmum!! for doin up so nice n pretty table for us..... tats was realli great... welcome the new mummies who are here too
happy.gif

kia
yah. angelmum was right! i usualli bring my gal to Yu Guo at least once a week loh... its opposite Kembangan Mrt... actual address its at jalan Masjid... u stayin which part bedok? i stayin at bedok south
happy.gif
for yu guo, my gal has been gg ther whn shes around 1 yr old..i find it quite ok, sometimes after "tui na", at least she can sleep better n less stiff... mayb u can give it a try loh.. one session is $29 for full body "tui na" can PM me if u need the full address....

wah, wah, wah! i MIA 3 days only so many posts to follow leh! hehehe... if i miss out ans any qn, let me know ya!

angelmum... i see dr lai too. plus a "few" other docs : cardio, ENT, derma, cleft, dental, surgical... already dropped gastro, neuro, respi plus 3 therapys so i'm happi enuff! hehehe... i also dun think i can handle 2 special kids, so i chose not to take any risk, so not planning for #2 at all! hehehe...

carrie.. ya hor, can give to nurse rachel hor. will pass her when i go kk next time. dun worrie lah, i noe u joking abt the shopping. i also lagi bored there, if rac not on drip, then aft feed i will bring her walk ard, even to sit outside lor. just to get away. the nurse always ask me where we going, i say go orchard rd. ha! got once, we "checked in" a day earlier for surgery, then aft all checks done, nothing to do, nothing to eat, so we brought her hm to eat din and to rest, then midnite then brought her bac! hahahaha... tats why we moved to tpy also. to be near my mum and kk. last time we stay sk, always scared emergency, cos need at least 30mins of "speeding" then can reach leh! added u in fb liao! hv u like the bintan pics! your 2 princess cute leh! but min also! hahaha.. another thick-skin mummy!

big hi to kia, hidayah, rence!!

rence... i tot autism is STEP prog leh, din noe they take in EIPIC too? anyways, if u r new, they will start u in new term, so u dun need to pay for sch holidays b4 u even start sch. fyi, YPS is the previous mcnair sch. but if you are joining EIPIC, then its 1 teacher to 2 students. but i understand frm rac's teacher tat autism kids hv special way of teaching, cos i always v amazed the kids can be so rowdy and angry, but see their own teacher only become calmer lor. but i agree tat shd send to special sch as early as possible as i understand they need to instil a sense of discipline in them since young. some of the kids are quite hard to handle, so i always hv to avoid them when carrying rac but i understand they dun noe wat they are doing so not angry.

hidayah and shauna... there is a kid in rac's class who is just global dev delay too. he looks and behaves normal most of the time, just slower in motor and interactive skills. his parents also delayed sending him to sch so he is quite stubborn. rac's teacher told me shd send as early as possible, and that these kids will eventually catch up with their peers, just tat they need extra help. aft EIPIC, those tat are not handicapped will be streamed to another class, where they will be taught to fit into mainstream sch. i always look at those kids with envy cos they are really quite normal. i understand most of those kids attend 2 schools, 1 special sch, then the other is normal playgrp so they learn to interact with normal children and can eventually go to mainstream sch. those kids started when they were very young too. wat i understand frm rac's teacher is parents are sometimes afraid their children will be tagged negatively if they attend special sch, so they wait and hope the children will catch up. but all they need is the extra help, the correct help, which only special school will understand. maybe you shd consider tis too.

i ever heard a story, a father took his son out of the autism prog and sent him to normal sch. aft a few years, the son told him he feel like commiting suicide cos he feels so out of place in mainstream. tis was a story related by the ex head of rainbow centre, so she was encouraging the autism kids' parents not to give their children pressure to fit into mainstream and give them space and time instead. i understand how it feels cos the child looks so normal, he should be normal. my ger also looks normal, so i've had to handle comments always tat i shd force her to do tis do tat, she is just lazy, naughty. but i pity her cos she is already sick with so many things, i just want her to be happy. i bring her to school only a small part of the reason is to make her improve, the larger part is cos altho she doesnt express her emotions coherently, she seemed really interested and happy when we bring her to school. not sure if its the environment or the teachers (YPS hv angel EIPIC teachers, cant say the same for sym's PCMH teachers tho!), or becos she is with peers, or got a lot of toys, but she's really happy ever since she attended. so altho it takes me 1 hr to get her to sch, i try hard to bring her so she can be happy. we all just want our children to be happy when its already so unfortunate they are like tis.

shauna... CRS - club rainbow singapore. they just started a new grp for chromosome disorders so me and anglemum are in.

*whew* wat a long post! did i miss out anything still???

ooppss... sorry, anglemum, got confused. yukee then is the one not happi with teachers.

yukee... all special ed schs here. including pte. http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/special-education/schoollist/ you want to pm me who will be the new teachers? cos i tot EIPIC only tat few teachers anyways. maybe can give u my personal comments abt them too.

oh, another group tat i'm with is tis. http://www.rarechromo.org they are a UK group, but hv members all over the world. sometimes aft reading stories abt other kids, you either feel blessed at least your kid is not that "bad", or feel sad sgp has no support like UK and US, or at least dun feel so alone tat only your child is not "normal" lor. apparently, there are many kids who are not diagnosed till they are much older too.

wah.. now tat we hv 8 "members" and quite some topics to discuss, wouldn't it be better if we hv diff threads for diff topics, so newcomers can back-track on history, we can share info, and maybe even do a buy &amp; sell? then dun hv to cramp all info into one post, then hv to repeat when got newcomers again. wat do you mummies think?

some time bac, another forum owner actually started a section specially for special children upon my request. maybe we can share our info better there? join me at http://www.babyandpapa.com/forums/forum81/ ? hopefully we can start a sharing place for ourselves! i'll started a few topics first for discussion, do suggest other topics!

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome
happy.gif

Went down to Rainbow Yishun this afternoon and the social worker brought me around... nice place.

Have decided to send my son there. Over here, all the autistic children are grouped together as a class because these children needs a different kind of very "structure" environment and teaching, as what "are" said.

Over at the other center, they group you depending on the type of needs so there are children of various conditions in the same class.

Yukee, as you said, my child's age falls under the "group" category.. so will a group setting.
There are 2 applications before me so will probably take a while to start lesson..At least now the school thingy is sort of settled.

Moral EIPIC is located opposite Admiralty MRT, super convenient, come out of MRT, cross the overhead bridge and there is the centre!

This is the link to the EIPIC service matrix with all the centres as given by the DIRC. the other one given by "are" inlcudes private ones, which is not in this list.

http://www.disability.org.sg/admin/Download_files/9%20EIPIC%20service%20matrix%20table_17Jul08.pdf

And just for the update, I have another 3 year old boy... which I suspect to be hyperactive.. can't sit still except when watching Ultraman/Power ranger ... *sigh* .. but what a joy also, having both of them running around.. but very tiring. Now thinking of whether to quit job and be a SAHM !!! haha..

yukee - really troublesome. That's one reason y I want to stay in class even thou some mummies said I shld let Sym 'get over separation anxiety' or let teacher go and sort out how to handle 3 kids. I dont want Sym to cry nor hate sch. Hope u are able to transfer back to MD, a place she was used to.

are - u can also say I'm one of the unhappy ex MD mum. Reason: no caregiver for some students who cant self feed or be independent.

<font size="+2">ATTENTION ALL SPECIAL NEEDS MUMMIES
Shall we meet here? </font>http://specialchild.forumer.com

Those of us who have special needs children know just how hard it is to find the resources and assistance that we need in order to be able to do our best for our kids. This site is specially creating so that SPECIAL NEEDS parents in Singapore can:
* chat, share and vent.... get a listening ear or helping hand, offer some form of emotionoal support

* compare the facilites, pros &amp; cons of different special schools, pros &amp; cons of enrolling into special school instead of mainstream

* suggest or recommend a school/therapy centre that allows the child to learn at affordable/reasonable rates. Share resources and information that you happen to know since Singapore government does not provide a one stop solution or information centre.

* Buy, Sell or Exchange special aids such as AFO, walkers, standing frames, wheelchairs, buggy, etc

No one knows our reality until they have walked in our shoes, so join here, knowing that we understand your frustration. Just pour your hearts out, U R NOT ALONE!!

wow angelmum... i din noe you can create a forum juz like tat! thanx heaps! shall mt you there! and i will also get my fren from raregenes to get the other members to join us. hooray, finally our own forum!!!

Really a wow to Angelmum...u really create that!? You really "ek sai"...ok, i registered liao, will join u all there...

BTW, is not i don want to stay in the class, but the teacher ask me to leave, cos she say my gal need 2 be independent...but last time in MD we use to peep during lesson, so my gal knows i am ard, now she don see me, she thought i throw her there and bring my #2 out...so recently she abit clinky to me &amp; daddy. Guess next term i will have to stay around, dono the teacher will ask me to leave or not...

Rence, thanks for the info...Anyway, guess kids are like dat one lah especially boys...even my gals they also cant sit still &amp; a lots of patterns...only Hi5, Barney &amp; Mickey Clubhouse can make them sit still, especially now my maid on leave, tv was on almost whole day, so i can do housework...later become habit then i die liao...after the maid come back must cut down tv time...

angelmum,

yes my gal can walk and jump and run. cannot read but can scribble. able to communicate with me but she cant talk well like us. she can say things like, 'mummy hold hands', 'mummy dont have shoe'.
shes also potty trained in the day.

since apr07, i stop therapy but i enrolled her in normal 2hr playgroup. so she was wif the playgroup from apr07 to nov 07. den jul08 till now, shes wif a 2hr pcf. therapies i have started to book again after the appointment wif doc for her 3yr checkup.

actually i am not afraid or paiseh of sending my gal to special sch if need be. actually last yr wen doc made a referal, i called up DIRC every now n then to ask them to expedite her enrolment, also call rainbow to expedite. but unfortunately few days before the enrolment of my gal into the sch, i happen to meet a friend who is a teacher from rainbow. so i actually told her that my gal being refered to rainbow. so wen she met my gal, she told me theres no need for my gal to go to rainbow. and going there might only lead to more problem like she might be diagnosed wif autism cos she say they like to anyhow diagnose. she even said she might not be able to attend mainstream sch and said that at that point of time, rainbow is having financial problem so they sure want money. pls do not ask me the name of this teacher cos i am suppose to keep watever she said to me a secret. but wat i can say, she's a very good teacher to her students.
she mention dat my gal is just a late bloomer and lack of explosure, speech wise- both parents very quiet type so never tok to the child thus she did not pick up much. so she suggested that my gal to be enrol into a normal playgroup and see how it goes. well, at the playgroup, my gal started to jump, do painting, sing songs, etc..
well, children like to imitate each other so if she goes to special sch, theres no one to imitate.

are,

u mention that there's a boy who is devt delay. how old is he? so wat are they teaching him? btw, stubborn in wat sense?

angelmum mention this,
"They hoped for miracle and comfort themselves nothing is wrong, no need to over worry. By doing so, it could reduce the child's learning chance &amp; abilities."
yes im afraid of reducing the child's learning chance n abilities. that is why im so stressed upon where to send her. people suggested childcare so that she will pick up in her social skills but i dunno how true it is cos to me, childcare is alot on bfast,lunch,bathing.

shauna,

wat makes u sure that yr kid is developmentally delayed and not just a late bloomer?
wats the difference between late bloomer and developmentally delayed?
my child also not able to walk independently at 19mths.. 20mths then start to take steps independently.. two steps, five steps, so on..

Back