Baby of 3 months old + Detected with MRSA

Ieuieu

Hi all, my baby was hospitalised 2 weeks ago in KKH due to fever at 38C, he was discharged on the next day after his fever has subsided.

KKH also performed the routine nasal swab test on him, and to our surprise, the nurse called us yesterday that he was MRSA positive.

I have googled on MRSA, and it says that "MRSA (Methicillim Resistant Staphylococcus aureus) is a bacteria that has mutated to become resistant to standard antibiotics, particularly Methicillin (from the Penicillin antibiotic family). Staphylococcus aureus grows in the nasal cavity of 25-30% of the population. About 2% of Staphylococcus aureus cases are MRSA. MRSA appears like a boil, and often weeps as a clear yellowish liquid. Most infections are not life threatening. However, if the infection burrows deep into the skin, or is located in the bone, lungs or in joints, surgery may be needed to drain and treat the infection."

He has neither cuts or wounds at all, or fever right now, we are just not sure on what are the usual treatments for a young boy at 3 mths plus old. Any sisters or brothers here can share on the MRSA experience they had so far with a baby at around 3-4 mths?

We are just very worried on what could happen, and of course, we are going to be more hygienic in our household from now on.

Hi, my boy has eye discharge when he was 2 months old and was diagnosed with MRSA infection. He has no fever and is a happy baby.

For my family, we just make sure that we wash our hands and to ensure he has no open wounds.

Back