1. We've compiled a list of frequently asked questions and their answers at http://singaporemotherhood.com/forum/threads/faq-on-using-the-new-forum.21478/

~Baby Names~

Discussion in 'Year 2009 Mums' started by ~mimosa~, Feb 15, 2009.

1. ~mimosa~

~mimosa~ Active Member

hi all, my friends say should starting naming the baby even before baby is born, cos by right baby can recognise mummy's voice before birth?
    so u can call baby's name n talk to baby before baby is born

any suggestions for baby names?

2. jo_tan

jo_tan New Member

3. ericx

ericx Member

It actually depends on how superstitious you are. My wife and I decided to name our girl based on names that we think sound sweet enough, instead of going to Chinese Masters to calculate after birth. What if the name turns out to be something that you don't like how?

4. zolldoll

zolldoll Member

For christain name both my hubby and i decided for my son before he was born. But for Chinese one, initially we had wanted to do the same, but as my hubby has a unique surname which will not be easy for us to choose names for our son on our own, we seeked a geomancer's help.

5. closetdoor

closetdoor Active Member

While preggy, I called baby names like Little gal, Baby, Sweetheart. I still call my DD baby, and little girl off and on. Lol.

6. ly_hau

ly_hau New Member

Hi

I am also having a hard time with baby names. Any suggestions?
    I am having a boy and my husband and I have shortlisted, Tristan, Mattias, and Joshua.

We like Tristan but it has a somewhat not too favorable meaning " tragic hero". Mattias and Joshua we liked too but is afraid it will be too common....hiaz....so hard

7. zolldoll

zolldoll Member

Hi LY,

I will go with Tristan. Joshua is really common.

8. ~mimosa~

~mimosa~ Active Member

i like tristan...nice name [​IMG]

9. ly_hau

ly_hau New Member

I like Tristan too, but the meaning of the name is so sad. We are comtemplating with Kaydon too. ;)

10. jos83

jos83 Member

im oso looking for baby names now...EDD is 6August09 but right now toking to baby frequently oso...so i tink its better to name it first...

my husband n i very picky... mus b unique, easy to spell n has good meaning (not used by bimboss b4...haha ;)

11. jos83

jos83 Member

Hi LY, for boys, i tink Troy,Hector,Arthur,Oliver,Gideon sounds nice too.

But my husband doesn't agree, i was searching for names even b4 i koe the gender...so had a list for boys n girls ready... now found out its a girl...husband dun like!!! so Choosy *headache*

12. juliann

juliann New Member

My newborn baby boy is alreadly 10 days old. I have yet decided on his name.

Any suggestion what is nice and cute for baby boys?

13. macjoe

macjoe New Member

Ethan, Dylan, Ryan, Brayden

14. simmama

simmama Member

For boys: Zaydon, Jaydon
    For girl: London

15. sunnysideup

sunnysideup Member

Gave birth to 2 boys. If 2 girls, would have loved to call them Tristal and Tiara. [​IMG]

16. jessica

jessica New Member

Hi,

what do u mummies think of this name - Javier?

17. ahnetsan

ahnetsan Active Member

Javier sounds nice. how about Jovan?

18. togepiegg

togepiegg New Member

Javier and Jovan sound nice too..
    What do uguys think abt 'kyrus'?

19. firefly_leslie

firefly_leslie New Member

Hi Mummies,

Which name do u think is nicer for gal?
    1) Trina
    2) Megan
    3) Kayla

20. jan4january

jan4january New Member

linda,

does it pronounce as 'kai' 'rus'? i like this name. is it a boy's name?

firefly,

i like megan n kayla.

21. jan4january

jan4january New Member

which website abt choosing baby chinese names?

22. linda_thea

linda_thea New Member

Keep in mind to have names which reflects the correct spelling as in its pronunciation instead of having too special innovative way to spell the name.

Your child might seemed special on his/her birth cert but will have a hard time to explain/spell/tell frens/colleagues/business associates over the phone their names.

I used to be a secretary. I have experienced an american business partner asking me "what kind of name is that?" of a colleague whose name was self-thought of and not an english name. Then I ALWAYS had to spell my superior's name in alphabets to others cos her name was spelt differently from the normal way. Very troublesome. :p

23. firefly_leslie

firefly_leslie New Member

Jan jan,

We decided on Kayla ! but no chinese name yet.

Thinking to go for consulting.

24. chiyojade

chiyojade Member

Hi mummies,

Am pretty new to this forum, but I totally agree with Linda about choosing names...I think Jovan is nice, but are you going to pronounce it the Spanish way, as in "Hovan" because "J" is "H" in Spanish...

Am also having a problem with choosing Chinese names - problem is, would like to have one, but I can't read Chinese and neither can my husband! :p

25. linda_thea

linda_thea New Member

Hi chiyoJade
    Jovan is not as bad, cos people like me who doesnt know spanish would pronounce the J as a J. But I am refering to those names which are technically non-names, more like brands. I have ex classmates calling themselves Vuitton, Gucci. *Shake head*

...or those names which are so original that you cannot find it in a book of names at all cos it wasnt even a name to begin with.

Chinese names are pretty essential these days esp when you would wish your child to be able to expand overseas. It is def advantageous to speak and write Chinese. Get an elderly who can read/write to help you. Or select an English name first, then work out the chinese translation from there.

26. tamms

tamms Member

Javier is nice too, but like chiyo mentioned, J is pronounced as H so the right way to say it is Ha-Vi-Eir.

I like the name Siobhan but we live in Singapore so nobody is going to pronounce it the right way Shuh-Vahn. We settled on good ol fashioned Olivia

27. jessica

jessica New Member

Anymore nice names for boys?

28. baby_glendon

baby_glendon New Member

javier is bery common nwsaday...

29. jessica

jessica New Member

Nowadays naming our baby can be a very challenging task.

-Common oso cannot, uncommon oso cannot[​IMG]

-And the name you choose must both daddy and mummy like

-Must filter away names of relatives, friends and their kids.

I think it really depend on what the parents are comfortable and happy with.

Personally think Shawn,Jayden,Tristan,Joshua are names that are increasingly common

If u choose an uncommon name, ppl might have problem spelling/pronoucing and remembering it.

Personally I like Jordan but the meaning is 'descending' thats why decided to give it a miss.

I think choosing a name not only must be sound right but must have positive meaning cos your child is gging to carry the name for his lifetime.

To all the parents out there, happy name hunting

30. twinmumdad

twinmumdad Member

Hi mummies,

I am expectg twins boy. I find it hard to give names. My hubby wanna names with the same as his like Melxxx. Therefore, he names them Melden n Melvier. Any suggestions to these names?

31. ke2opi

ke2opi New Member

my baby boy name javier

32. simplemummyjane

simplemummyjane New Member

how do u feel about the name 'Sunano' for a bb boy?

33. toblerone

toblerone Active Member

to simplemummyjane, " 'Sunano' "

Sounds like Sumo wrestler! Sunano why not Sunami! Also, sounds like Indonesian name. You know who is the the current president of Indonesia? also ends with a "no" behind.

change a name.

34. toblerone

toblerone Active Member

ke2opi,

javier javier javier, sounds like "saviour"!

Name too holy and a fun name to be poked by his friends when he grows up.

Change a name bah.

35. toblerone

toblerone Active Member

twinmumdad,

Names not nice.

Melden Melden Melden sounds like 猫点(stingy) or 猫店(catshop)

Melvier Melvier Melvier sounds like 猫肥尔 (fatty cat)

36. ah_meow2

ah_meow2 Member

Any nice English name for girl that start with the letter i?
    Thanks in advance...

37. toblerone

toblerone Active Member

ah_meow2, you come out with a list of names, then, the members here will suggest.

If you are no into numerology (giving names according to your child d.o.b.), then any name is alright.

38. ah_meow2

ah_meow2 Member

Jolyon, the problem is that I cant think of any nice name that start with i leh. I only can think of Ivy, Iris, Isbelle. I want my girl's name to start with the letter cos my 1st nephew name is Aloysius while my youngest sis's girl is call Elyse. So mine shld start with I hor...(A, E, I, O, U)

39. toblerone

toblerone Active Member

ah_meow2, here you go

IANNA IANTHA IANTHE IBAN IBIS
    IBTESAM ICHIGO ICHTACA ICKETT ICNOYOTL
    IDA IDALEE IDALIA IDALIS IDANA
    IDANIA IDE IDELLA IDEN IDOLA
    IDONIA IDRA IDUIA IFAMA IFE
    IGNACIA IHA IHUICATL IJLAL IKIA
    IKRAM ILANA ILANDERE ILAR ILARIA
    ILDRI ILIANA ILISSA ILITHYA ILIYA
    ILKA ILLEANA ILLINOIS ILONA ILSE

40. toblerone

toblerone Active Member

ah meow2, here you go

ILYS ILYSSA
    IMAGINE IMAGING
    IMALA IMAN
    IMANI IMELDA
    IMOGEN IMOGENE
    INA INALI
    INARA INARI
    INAYA INCI
    INDAH INDEPENDENCE
    INDIA INDIANA
    INDIGO INDIRA
    INDIYA INDY
    INES INEZ
    INFINITY INGA
    INGE INGEBORG
    INGRID INIABI
    INNA INNIS
    INOCENCIA INSULA
    INTAN INTEGRA
    IOKINA IOLA
    IOLANA IOLANI
    IOLANTHE IONA
    IONE

41. ah_meow2

ah_meow2 Member

Jolyon,

Thats alot....hahaha
    Lucky you never give me the name ICE.. Cos my hubby surname is Tea...lol..

42. gabymum

gabymum New Member

what website have baby names , thanks

43. micky00

micky00 Member

Have downloaded Baby Name from apple apps for free. A good range of names with meaning.....