Baby food

SGmummy93

Can i feed my baby before she start sitting up by herself? I see google always say give baby food when she start sitting up by herselfo_O

Yes, you can. However, a very experienced pediatrician (she was in her 70s) told us not to rush into solid food, whenever possible. She said that a baby's digestive system is immature, and will be good to let it be more mature before introducing solid food, at least after the first 6 months. Although, for some babies, she did recommend plain rice cereal after 4 mths.

You can put them in a car seat, or a bumboo chair, or some reclining chair. They don't need to sit upright. As a start, 30ml or 1oz is a good amount to start off. For the first few tries, most of that is wasted (cos they will be learning how to use their tongue to bring the food backwards to swallow). That is alright. Try not to distract them with TV or toys cos that cultivates bad habits later on. Minimise distractions around, and just concentrate on feeding and eating. Have wet wipes ready!

Yes, you can. However, a very experienced pediatrician (she was in her 70s) told us not to rush into solid food, whenever possible. She said that a baby's digestive system is immature, and will be good to let it be more mature before introducing solid food, at least after the first 6 months. Although, for some babies, she did recommend plain rice cereal after 4 mths.

You can put them in a car seat, or a bumboo chair, or some reclining chair. They don't need to sit upright. As a start, 30ml or 1oz is a good amount to start off. For the first few tries, most of that is wasted (cos they will be learning how to use their tongue to bring the food backwards to swallow). That is alright. Try not to distract them with TV or toys cos that cultivates bad habits later on. Minimise distractions around, and just concentrate on feeding and eating. Have wet wipes ready!
Thank you frog :) we start giving her little bit. Some times my grandma gave her porridge? Is that ok? Or some food to taste. My mil gave her potato smashed.

Hi,
Its okay to give porridge but needs to be very smooth and fine. You can try to give butternut porridge as it is sweet and most baby will be take it. Try to give the same food for afew days in case baby is allergy u know which food is the culprit. Hope it helps.

Thank you frog :) we start giving her little bit. Some times my grandma gave her porridge? Is that ok? Or some food to taste. My mil gave her potato smashed.

Potato - sweet potato is the nutritious and Yummy one. However, be careful when giving this - try in small quantity and monitor. With my first kid, it took me a long time to realize, that she would eat the sweet potato puree so happily, but it must have given her wind/upset tummy - cos she cries in the evening! Other food that may cause wind/bloatedness or upset tuppmy might be broccoli (as a puree on its own) and soya bean milk.

The other type has very little nutritional value, mainly carbo.

All the foods with colours are good, but in moderation - i.e. carrot puree is great - but you don't need to give this every meal and every day until the little one turns orange! Also, carrot will stain every plastic thing it comes to contact with!

Btw, butternut as in butternut pumpkin (or any other pumpkin will do).

I used to do all the puree during weekends, say, 3 types or puree - and then store them in ice-cube trays, and then ziplock bags. Defrost one or two each meal. 30ml is about 1 large cube.

Potato - sweet potato is the nutritious and Yummy one. However, be careful when giving this - try in small quantity and monitor. With my first kid, it took me a long time to realize, that she would eat the sweet potato puree so happily, but it must have given her wind/upset tummy - cos she cries in the evening! Other food that may cause wind/bloatedness or upset tuppmy might be broccoli (as a puree on its own) and soya bean milk.

The other type has very little nutritional value, mainly carbo.

All the foods with colours are good, but in moderation - i.e. carrot puree is great - but you don't need to give this every meal and every day until the little one turns orange! Also, carrot will stain every plastic thing it comes to contact with!

Btw, butternut as in butternut pumpkin (or any other pumpkin will do).

I used to do all the puree during weekends, say, 3 types or puree - and then store them in ice-cube trays, and then ziplock bags. Defrost one or two each meal. 30ml is about 1 large cube.
Thanks you. Anyway the ice tray is a normal one?

yes u definitely can! as long as she got pretty good head and neck control. And she shows an interest in the food u eat. U can definitely let her try some baby starter foods.
I also added some milk (friso) to her puree which consists of sweet potato or pumpkin or avocado. All of which r good starter foods for babies.
Good luck! try 1 at a time and take it slow.

@SGmummy93 how many mth is you girl??

@frog I'm starting solid for my girl in another 1mth time, want to learn more recipes:) can you guide me? 30ml of puree for start up?

AVOID/ be cautious with : banana (phlegm), sweet potato, broccoli (wind),

Great first foods (can google FIRST FOOD for babies):
Plain puree. Each item listed below can be steamed for 10-20mins.
Blend/mashed without adding water/anything else:
1. pumpkin (local, Japanese, butternut)
2. apple (red apple, sweet variety)

Avacado, banana, papaya, do not need to be cooked/pureed. just mash with spoon when feeding.
AVACADO is a superfood in terms of nutrients and calorie.

AVOID/ be cautious with : banana (phlegm), sweet potato, broccoli (wind),

Great first foods (can google FIRST FOOD for babies):
Plain puree. Each item listed below can be steamed for 10-20mins.
Blend/mashed without adding water/anything else:
1. pumpkin (local, Japanese, butternut)
2. apple (red apple, sweet variety)

Avacado, banana, papaya, do not need to be cooked/pureed. just mash with spoon when feeding.
AVACADO is a superfood in terms of nutrients and calorie.

Thank you! Starting her off with puree first, 4mth young should be fine right?

Thank you! Starting her off with puree first, 4mth young should be fine right?

NO. I wouldn't recommend starting at 4 months unless your GP/PD said so. They have the next 99 years or so to eat solids. What's the hurry? If they are teething and keeps putting things in the mouth, You can give them a slice of apple to "chew" or suck. However, this must be done with close supervision to ensure that they do not choke from "broken" pieces. You can also buy those "chewing contraption" like this https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Fre...9obdFRL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

Or, you can scrape some banana, or some apple, etc as you eat them. It is an exciting time for us (and them!), but there is no need to rush, really.

Err 4 months is really too early ba. Start at 6 months. Their intestinal flora will be ready to receive solids by then.

I was just riding on and wondering what are some simple recipes for meals for a 1 year old. Especially those that can be prepared real quick like 30mins tops.

My mil made a bottle of ikan bilis powder to go with his porridge. is it really that good ?

Yep my mum made that for me too. The ikan bilis is salty though so no need to add too much. Do u put anything else with the porridge apart from that?

ikan bilis powder smells like fish food tho >.< I'm using fish/chicken stock for the porridge, sometimes i will mix it with carrot or broccoli.

Hi All,

Generally, raising kids has no right or wrong. My boy started solids at 4mo he is healthy and doing way more then good now. 8mo and he can eat 1/4 bread himself for breakfast. Of course that is because his first tooth popped out at 4mo already and is constantly hungry so according to the baby doctor he is ready.

I do not agree on strong NO advises, let the mummy decide for themselves after professional advises from the doctor. I would say, dont let whatever you read here hinder you and how you would like to raise your kid. There can also be advantages starting your child early on solids, if we were to debate.

And if reading up well, you know avocado is not a bad first food for baby. But do blend it with breastmilk or water. Thou, I agree it doesnt have to be cooked. And banana is avoid generally cause it is one of the most common allergen (as it is of soy, eggs etc) not because of phlegm. Broccoli is great too cause it has many good nutrients. Your child is probably only going to eat 1 or 2 teaspoons of it at the start so nothing too much to cause wind in stomach or too much phlegm, don't worry. My baby had all of the above and only hated avocado for it's taste.

The main point is not too much of one thing and one food at a time to test for allergy. And also, puree it so fine that it's almost like liquid if you want to try out solid food for your already ready (some kids may be slower so I am not saying all 4mo can) baby! And yes, milk is still their main source of nutrients.

Yup, thats that. My 2 cents worth.

Hello all,
Just curious to see if there is any blog / site to share for cooking baby food for around 15 months old baby?
My girl is starting to get curious about adult food, but she cannot really bite well, so I am only feeding her the baby congee with ingredients for now.

Thanks in advance!

Same thing.. my Son as well like to sit with us when we eat .. but not eating when I give .. he is picky eater . Donno how t make him t eat..

Can i feed my baby before she start sitting up by herself? I see google always say give baby food when she start sitting up by herselfo_O

Hi, google says give baby food till she start sitting up because it'll be easier for you to feed her I think. You can give her plain baby porridge or vegetable or fruit mashed when she's around 4 to 6 months. If she has some teeth, you can give her some soft fruits that can help her practice chewing.

hey, girls :)
I think it's time to start to introduce a baby to mixed feeding. My husband has found a discount , and I would like to buy something, but don't know what brands are of the best quality. very afraid of different allergies etc. waiting for advices. many thanks

Hi, my personal opinion is that use that discount for stuffs you cannot make yourself. Like, baby biscuits or complicated baby jar food etc...

Simple puree of fruits and vegetables would be quite a good choice to make them yourself at home. Because honestly, self-made puree taste a whole lot delicious then commercial ones and definitely healthiest!

I guess you can google about common allergens and the way to slowly introduce new food for baby. I learnt quite some knowledge through google.

hey, girls :)
I think it's time to start to introduce a baby to mixed feeding. My husband has found a discount , and I would like to buy something, but don't know what brands are of the best quality. very afraid of different allergies etc. waiting for advices. many thanks

Hi, my personal opinion is that use that discount for stuffs you cannot make yourself. Like, baby biscuits or complicated baby jar food etc...

Simple puree of fruits and vegetables would be quite a good choice to make them yourself at home. Because honestly, self-made puree taste a whole lot delicious then commercial ones and definitely healthiest!

I guess you can google about common allergens and the way to slowly introduce new food for baby. I learnt quite some knowledge through google.

Baby food is very very important,because babies need energy and it is the time that their body parts are growing. Kerala holiday package and the team like this topic so much.Mums always care of their kids growth.They will most importantly milk and other food materials.

Back