Baby coughs & needs nebilizer

168kitty

My baby is only 9 mths old. Recently caught a flu bug and coughed badly for abt 2 wks+. Saw paediatric many times, spent a lot of $. Rented nebilizer home. Condition improve after 2 wks but then dunno why caught another virus and started to cough with lots of phlegm. Rent nebilizer again.

Anybody's baby or child has used the nebilizer b4?

Thanks

168kitty,

My boy also like that. He was sick when he was 4months+, didnt really recover and for the past 5months he being using inhaler. Nebuliser got to rent and need to use for 5 mins, PD knew that is difficult to use on bb for 5 mins so asked us to buy inhaler and using ventolin. He is now 10months old and he is quite well but once he caught the virus, we got to put him for that again.

My son had bronchitis when he was younger. He had to use nebilizer for a while. At that time he was always sick with cough, until I change his milk to soy-based.

My SIL's son also had the same problem but worse than mine, she bought the nebilizer machine.

Now both of them have grown up and no more problems.

hi dyjofrajo,
how old is your SIL's son when he outgrow it?

hi cherly & dyjofrajo,
do u hv sinus problem yourself? i've sinus problem so my baby has it. so far my baby use nebilizer, i've to switch on her favourite cartoon, then carry her so she'll allow us to put the face mask on her. most of the time after inhaling for few mins, she seemed drowsy or stone stone like that. PD said it's normal.

tmr i need to her her to PD again for review. hopefully can off the nebilizer & return it to the clinic.

now I'm scarred cos flu virus is everywhere and small baby easily get it. i dunno if is it necessary to buy a nebilizer machine to standy at home. rental cost long run can buy a brand new one liao.

cherly,
what is inhaler? how does it look like?

Thanks all

cherly,
hv u ever thot of bringing your baby to see chinese physician? i dun quite trust chinese medicine on baby...but my colleagues hv been telling me to bring baby to chinese physician. they said can 'tune' back the health after recovery, body stronger and won't easily fall sick. i'm still thinking lor...

Hi 168Kitty,

He outgrew it by 2 years old. Mine is around 1 year old.

Both me and my hubby have sinus problem but my is better after doc gave medication. My son also has it.

Does your baby sleep in aircon room, if yes suggest you get a humidifier, will help ease baby coughing.

I use to give my son Hou Zau San, they say its good for reducing the phlegm but if phlegm is in the lungs then no use.

Hi Mummies,

Just wanna share my story.

As I used to keep 2 cats at home, my son was always down with flu and cough. We made trip to the PD or KK every mth. Sometimes twice a mth. He had to take up to 3-4 types of medicine a day, 3-4 times a day, 3-5ml for each type. Can you imagine the amt of medicine? My son was so scared of it that he cried and vomited the medicine many times.

We even rented the neubilizer on several occasion. When he's on it, the cough/phlegm got better, but when we returned it, the cough/phlegm came back. That was when he was 4, 5 mths old.

This went for for a few mths until we got fed up and decided to try out chinese medicine. We went to Eu Yang San to get the Bao Yin Dan. We divided the one small tube into 3 potions and let him take it 3 times a day. To our surprise, his cough and flu got well in 3 days! And he's not afraid of the chinese medicine since the amt if so small. I mixed it with water to get about 2-4 ml depending on the amt used.

We were like "Damn, should have tried this sooner instead of letting him suffer thru all the sickly sweet western medicine!" Ever since then, if he has any sign of cough or flu, we will feed him with Bao Yin Dan and the symptoms will usually go away. Believe it or not, he has not seen a PD every since.

When we moved to Perth in June during winter, I bought many boxes to bring along. My son did get some flu during the winter time, but after feeding him with it for a few days, he fully recovered.

IMO, I think western medicine has more side effect than chinese medicine since it's all artificial chemicals. For chinese medicine, we are more concerned about the authenticity so we tend to buy them from reputable medical halls.

Eu Yang San has another type called Hou Ning. That's very exp at $58 plus for one small tube, but I read good comments from other mummies when their kids got very bad phelgm. Bao Yin Dan is about $17 for 5-6 tubes, so pretty affordable. Potion is depending on kid's age and weight. If my son condition's really bad, sometimes we feed him 1.5 bottles in a span of 24 hrs.

HTH.

Hi dyjofrajo,
My baby doesn't sleep in aircon room. We on two fans in the room and blow but not directly to her.

hi hidora,
thanks for sharing.
happy.gif
yes i'm thinking when baby is on the nebilizer, cough/phlegm got better, but when we returned it, the cough/phlegm came back. long term use dunno body ok or not. thought of buying a nebilizer machine at least save the hassle of rental and returning to clinic...and sometimes all rented out...then no nebilizer.

chinese medicine really that good? My colleague told me about Hou Ning. But what is it? The powder is made up of what herbs? baby below 1 yr old can consume such things?

Thanks

168.kitty,

To me, I would say chinese medicine is good. But you also need a good physician to prescribe you the right medicine. If I'm badly ill, no amt of antibiotics or medicine can cure me. I gotta go Ma Guang to see their chinese sensei.

Hou Ning is made of Hou Zao. For more info of Hou Zao, pls read here. http://baike.baidu.com/view/35933.htm

Well, Bao Yin Dan is quite ok imo. And it's cheap too. No harm trying it out since the ingredients should be much better than western medicine.

Both are ok for infant to take.

hi hidora

like you i'm more inclined to chinese medication now. but my boy is quite young, dun wan his cough and cold to drag on so i brot him to western doc. the last time he was coughing, doc gave him steroids and antibiotics! i mean he's so young and has to be on those, poor thing and its really hard on his liver and kidneys. he started coughing again last week and till now he's coughing. we brot him to the doc already and now we are very reluctant to bring him to see pd again. its expensive and each time the medicine gets stronger. its so harsh on his body!

i go this this chinese physician at jurong west and people's park. have not started bringing my boy there yet. for my older girl, she goes to chinese physician everytime she gets sick and you can see that she's not lethargic after medication which is a common side effect of western mediation. she heals faster too! she has ben antibiotics free for more than 2 years now.
happy.gif

i'll go over to eu yang san to check out hou ning and bao yin dan.

thanks!!!

hwee,

That was what I thought in the first place.. Very skeptical of chinese medicine and insisted on bringing baby to see PD, thinking that he would heal faster. But I was so wrong. A cough or flu that western medicine took 2 wks to heal, chinese medicine only took 3 days!

And I totally agree on the lethargic part. Western medicine has rather bad side effect as compared to chinese medicine.

Hope your son will heal soon.
happy.gif

Brought my baby to another PD to seek 2nd opinion. Already coughing the 3rd wk. This 2nd PD said go xray, blood test & do throat swop culture test. He said normal cough & flu syrup & nebilizer cannot cure one. He suspect another bacteria in baby's body.

Results out - mycoplasma bacteria. Given Klaycid antibiotic, lung tonic & another medicine to loosen phlegm. 3rd day of phlegm medicine, baby cough really improved! No more phlegmy cough.

But now she down with fever, sigh....so still taking fever medicine.

hi 168kitty, is yr bb ok now? good to know that her cough is not phlegmy. maybe should be bring to chinese doctor after that to 'tiao' back her body cos she has taken a fair bit of medication.

hidora, went to check out that hou ning, omg! its $61!!! well, i didn't buy that. i bot the one for cough with 20% hou zao for my boy to try. he seems ok now.
happy.gif

hi hwee,
thanks my baby has no more fever, coughing still at times. but not so bad now. but hor...ocassionally cough still can hear some phlegmy sound leh....sigh!

once my baby recovers, I'll bring her see chinese physician.

btw, how's your son now? I checked bao ying dan @ Eu yan Sang. It's meant for baby 1 yr old & above.

Thanks
happy.gif

hi 168kitty, good to know your girl is recovering. ya, its stated on the bao ying dan for 1 yr and above, but when i ask the person, he says 10 months old can take half bottle. so i'm giving that to my son now. lesser phlegm now....hoping it will go off in the next few days.
happy.gif
so yr bb is born in jan this year?

hwee,

Ya, hou ning is really exp cos it's a rare medicine.

168kitty,

Glad to know your girl is recovering. Hmm, it seems that different Eu Yang San say diff thing. The one at causeway point said for small baby like 6 mths, 1/3 bottle is ok. Actually, I think it is ok as they have specially printed out this slip that recommends the dosage for newborn and onwards. Everytime I buy a box, they will pass me the slip too.

share my experience too

my boy had bronchitis since 6mths old. Same fate as all - nebilizer, many many bottles of medicine, antibiodics etc. Then for the next 6mths - he was down 3-4times. My PD says the next time he kenna again, will put him on inhaler.

I was very upset that he will be on inhaler, thus decide to make the switch to chinese medicine.

Same as all, I went to a reputable EYS. At first I try getting off the shelf medi like hou ning. but after taking 2bottles, my boy still coughing away. Thus I bring him to see the Chinese Doc at EYS clinic. After taking the "prescribe" medi for 2-3days, he is totally cured!

After tat, when he will hv cough, I will bring him straight to the clinic for medi and each time will only take 2-3days (actually typically, they only prescribe 4days medi to my boy). And slowly his body got stronger and there are less and less illness. I am glad to see the vast improvement in his immune system within 2-3mths...

So I am truely a convert for Chinese Medicine. hahaha However, having said tat.... only convert for "cough, flu".... for others, think i will still fall back on western medi .:p

BTW the consultation charges + medi in EYS Clinic is only average $20 per visit. I tink it's more value for money than getting hou ning. Furthermore, it's prescribe medi.
happy.gif

Hi Hidora, Hwee,
Thanks
happy.gif
though my bb is recovering, she will still cough on off if she cries lor. and when she coughs, still got phlegm. already 1 mth. my baby was born in Dec.

Hi MTDT,
I brought my elder child to see EYS @ Plaza Sing last wk also on cough & stomach pain cos Sat & Sun PD clinic not opened. Total bill abt $47 leh....

I mean cost is one thing...if expensive, can cure I don't mind cos I dun wan the child to suffer so much. My elder child was coughing real bad. After taking 1 pkt of EYS medicine, my mum gave up & gave her western medicine. My mum said now cough so serious chinese medicine will take a long time to cure. Also had to struggle to feed her the chinese medicine.

In the end, waited till yesterday when the PD clinic opened, then bring her down. PD prescribed ventolin & another medicine for inhale leh....

How come everytime cough, PD will ask us to use inhaler? But I've decided once my children get better, I'll bring them to EYS to 'tiao'.

hi 168kitty, oic, my boy also dec baby.
happy.gif
i mix it with little bit of water to dissolve the powder then feed to baby. at first bb will struggle cos dun like the taste. but now my boy is ok. can feed him sitting upright.
happy.gif

hidora, didn't know hou zao is so rare. but dunno take 1 bottle can cure or not, some more so ex. i'd rather pay and see the doc.
happy.gif
they didn't give me the slip, but th guy in the shop told me can give half bottle. anyway, since i bot the bao ying dan, i'm also giving it to my boy now.

mtdt, yes i agree that seeing the doc is more worth it. i bring my kids to see the chinese doc at jurong west. and the bill always less than $20.
happy.gif

kitty - ya i agree. cost is not signficant as long as our bbies are well.
happy.gif

hmm.. ps so ex huh? maybe becos it's in town? LOL how many days medi u given? I notice their calculation is consulation @ $12 then per pack medi is $3-$4.

I also mix with water and feed via spoon or syringe. my boy quite like the taste leh. my hubby says he likes "bitter" stuff. :p

MTDT,
oh the medicine from EYS was prescribed for my 5 yr old child. Consultation $12. Medicine for 1 wk only. Total bill $47+. for my 5yr old, i mix in warm water in a cup and get her drink but she struggled and refuse to drink. drank halfway suck a sweet.

so for baby, i see most of you also mix with water and feed direct.
happy.gif
my colleague's method is to add the power into the milk or porridge and feed bb. but my mother said later bb refuse to drink that milk, then the entire bottle wasted.

168kitty, i agree with your mum. if bb taste the difference in taste and refuse the milk or porridge then it will be difficult to know how much medication the bb has taken. mix with lesser water so feed bb at one go. like your #1 also, mix with lesser water, then she can down the medicine in one mouthful then she can suck her sweet.

Hi 168.kitty,
I bought the neb machine cos my son was always put on machine whenever he cough. The machine has been with us for close to 4 years.

Oh yes, he is also eating the powder from EYS. But we always mix the two boxes (Yellow and Green) when we give him.

hi ssmummy,
thanks... my baby went for chest x-ray, blood test and throat swop test and found out mycoplasma bacteria. she was given the antibiotic to destroy the bacteria and was well now.

but lately diarrhoea. doctor said maybe virus in the intestine. given probiotic to take.

Didn't chk back this thread for quite a while.

168.kitty,

Glad to know that your girl is much better now. Hope she will fully recover soon.

As for bao yin dan, I usually mix with 3-4ml of water and use a syringe to feed my son. He prefers bitter chinese medicine to sweet western medicine. So not much prob in feeding him.

hwee,

That's exactly what I told my mom! Haha, I find it hard to spend $60 plus on a small bottle of medicine. And dunno must eat how many bottles... Luckily, bao yin dan is good enough. :p

p/s: For baby who has stuffy nose and hard to sleep, can put a bit of eucalyptus essential oil on baby's pillow/ bolster or anything that baby will sniff during sleep. My son suffered from very bad runny nose and cough 2 wks back. Used up 2 pks of bao yin dan didn't seem to help. Condition didn't worsen but also nv improve. So my fren said to try using eucalyptus essential oil and after a few days of using it at every nap and sleeping time, he got well w/o any medication. (I stopped giving him bao yin dan)

HTH

hi hidora,
thanks...btw, if the baby is not using any pillow or bolster, then the eucalyptus essential oil can drip on where? drip on the baby's t-shirt is it ok? thanks

Hi all,

Just sharing. I had complication during preg and son was born prematuredly. Hubby has sinus so Paed warned us that my boy will be very very susceptible to lung infections.

By 10 mths, he has been hospitalized for pneumonia-like symptoms. Recovered. Paed loaned us the nebulizer set. But since we travel quite often, I bought a unit at home. My family runs a pharmacy in M'sia and my younger bro is a medical doc. I could get the medicine supply quite handily.

For a premmie, with hereditary risk of sinus, paed commented his frequency of coming down with cough is very low - even lower than a normal child.

My sis got him some supplements for lung. Very ex but I can't recall the name. He has been taking quite a bit of supplements. (Shame on me, I can't recall all the names - 3 of them) He takes them every morning after his bath. But as long as he is in good health, I'd rather stinge on other aspects and let him have that...

Try not to give your kid chilled drinks. It really worsen their condition. My son used to throw up everything when he coughs. Really pains me to see him suffers like that

went to buy the bao yin dan yesterday and fed him this morning. oh my god. he struggles like hell. cry and cry and even vomit out. i think is the medicine plus some phlegm cause qutie sticky.
will try to feed him direct without water one shot then let him drink water using my hand into his mouth.

My gal has been coughing for 3 wks plus already. Also on nebuliser, then inhaler. Taking cough, phelgm med for 3 wks plus too. Can take med for such a long continuous period of time? Til nw, she has not recovered.

my baby, 20 months, has been coughing for 3 weeks, was on agumentin, then klacid now. his phelgm doesnt seems to go away, although the cough has decreased. Doc said to put him on nebuliser on next visit if he still didnt recover and she heard wheezing too.
I am concerned abt him on nebuliser as I didnt see or hear him with breathing problem at anytime.

hi there,
is the bao yin dan for flu and cold?
should give when what symptom surfaces?

btw, i bought the hou zao san from Hock Hwa.
1 bottle - 8 gm is $15. it helps on my daughter's cough too. for my 2yo, i feed her 1/2 teaspoon each time. and 1 bottle lasted more than 10 doses.

checked with EYS on the hou zao, it's now $78. Not sure if it's the saame as hou ning you are discussing about.

Hi All,

Is Eu Yan Sang the most recommended TCM clinic? They have many branches and not sure which one focus more on kids with cough and appetite problems. Any one has other recommendations? Thanks!

Hi all,

My 2 1/2 year old son have just hosipitalised.He had a X-ray and blood test. Because the doctor felt that he have been coughing for too long (1 month). Actuallly We have tried chinese medicine, medicine at KK, chinese tuo na before we go back to TMC. Now my doctor said that he might get asthma. Is it true ?

Hi Lim

My son was coughing for the longest period of time but our PD told us to be patient and administer ventolin puff and flixotide to keep it under control. On top of that, lung tonic was given to him... cannot remember wat is the name.

Back then, he just passed his 1 year+ and now he is turning 3 years old soon

Is he still hospitalized? PM to discuss more if need to...

Hi all both my son (one 10 mths, the other 23 mths old) have been coughing n flu for almost 3 mths plus... sigh .
tried chines doc.. takes long time recover but my eldest go cc sick again n spread to e young one...
now withdraw e elder from cc. beta but the cough n flu still not fully recover still comes back..
my young one cough n flu.. both took antibiotics..

anyone can recommend which chinese doc is beta? coz I tired one at amk cant cure fast . the sensai say cannot drink milk,,,nor soya milk then hw !! both my kids so young still wan milk..

i know for chinese doc they prescribe the medi based on the condition. initial cough n flu will be cough/flu medi. then slowly introduce medi to "bu3 fei4" build their lung...

can hou ning & bao yin dan used for initial cough/flu or for prolong cough/flu????

Hi J T,

I've stopped posting in this thread...now back again...my child is 4.5 yrs old now
happy.gif
Still cough with phlegm and body is weak and fall sick easily.

Since April this year I started to bring her to Eu Yan Sang Chinatown branch diligently to see chinese physician. Bad cough recovered...I'm so glad. Now taking the chinese med to tune back the health.... My elder child now 8 yrs old, also seeing EYS Chinatown physician and after abt 1-2 wks of chinese med, cough recovered too.

We saw He Qiu Ling physician. Heard she is good in treating children's cough/asthma. I myself is seeing a physician by surname "Su". I have gastric problems and bloatedness and she cured me
happy.gif

Hi 168.kitty,

Other than chinatown Eu Yan Sang, have you visit other branch??
Cos my elder gal seem like coughing for 3 weeks then recover 95%, then last week her cough came back again. Now I feed her with Eu Yan Sang Ba Bao San.

Btw, do you happen to know if bao yin dan suitable for 3mths old baby??

Really heart pain to see them coughing..haiz
Thank you so much..

hi catherine,
i know how you feel. my son also cough all the time. recover for 3 days and then fall sick again. tried all the western medicine, it works but i dont want to feed him medicine all his young life.

also thinking of trying chinese medicine. is the ba bao san ok?

my 9mths old daughter is also down with flu and cough for the past 1 month...seen 1 GP, 2 PDs and EYS but still didnt recover. she has fever for the past few days and now still her temperature still goes up and down like yoyo...i am at my wits' end cos i dunno how else to help her. her phlegm seems to be never-ending.
sad.gif

Hi Catherine Ong,

I have not let my children tried other EYS branches except Chinatown.

As for Ba Bao San & Bao Yin Dan, you self medicate your child? In my opinion, it's advisable to seek chinese physician or western doc (depend on which one the child is suitable). I do not self medicate the child especially chinese med. Sometimes medicine that works for other children may not work on our children. So it's better to seek 'green light' from the physician if your child can take bao yin dan etc....

My child is on nebulizer for the 3rd day. But the cough becomes more serious and phlegmy esp at night. Is this common? sigh so worried now... Should i stop him from child care?

Back