Avent Electric Steriliser VS Pigeon Rapid Steriliser

elinwokk

Avent Steriliser at $135 with some free baby bottles VS Pigeon Rapid Steriliser for $99 with some free baby starter kit. Which is better deal and is Avent Steriliser more superior than Pigeong brand? Please give your comments e.g gd & bad or capacity/limitation/durability ... on which is better. Thanks
happy.gif
happy.gif

hihi Elin! I'm also considering to get a sterilizer.. Cos i also saw the Pigeon on sales at John littles rite? Donnoe if to get it now too...sighz... But i think i will most likely to get the Pigeon one since my sister has been using this brand for her 2nd child.. (she's using Avent for her 1st kid, but she said she finds that there's no differences between the 2, other than Avent's look is nicer...) Hope this helps...
happy.gif

Hi!

I'm using Pigeon at home and Avent at my mum's. I've used the Avent one shortly before transferring to my mum thus can do a little comparison. Hope this helps...

Pigeon Pros: 1. Easy to clean as no enclosed parts.

Pigeon Cons: 1. The steam outlet is at the back of the unit. Thus when in use I have to face the back of the unit in front for steam to escape, as I place the unit on my kitchen top which is against the wall and my cabinet.
2. Flimsy tongs. Mine broke after a few months of use.
3. Dunno issit my unit, the power-point connection is always loose and needs a bit of fiddling to ensure its working everytime.

Pigeon cycle: 6 mins with 120ml of water. When not opened, the steam steriliser keeps contents sterile for up to 6 hours.

Avent Pros: 1. No need to lock unit before sterilising.

Avent Cons: 1. Need to descale more often as scales will accumulate in the bottom enclosed portion.
2. Too many basket racks to fiddle with but can remove if you dont need that many lah.

Avent cycle: 8 mins with 90ml of water. When not opened, the steam steriliser keeps contents sterile for up to 3 hours.

Aesthetically speaking, Avent is nicer
happy.gif
You may compare the freebies too. The freebies that came with my Avent was useful (think I had containers, toddler mug, brush etc.) and Pigeons was bottle cleaner and bottles. Lastly, Avent is England made and Pigeon is China.

hi charsiew, yah pigeon on sale now but avent is doing a promo too. so i am uncertain. basically, price wise there is about a $35 difference but i am considering one that would also "last the distance"
happy.gif

thank you bin
happy.gif
for such a clear contrast & comparison. i like the fact you mentioned that cleaning is easier for Pigeon & that items stay sterile for longer should system not be disturbed / opened. but the loose connection doesnt sound very promising. Avent's "many baskets" - is that helpful in more effective segregation of the items to put in for sterilising? ps- I didnt know Pigeon was from China. Golly me! So blur I'd thought it was japanese made!
happy.gif

Hi elin,

Yup, yup, the racks do help with the segregation. But when it comes to assembling the bottle for a hungry baby, you juz need to be FAST
happy.gif

I've actually seen Pigeon going for around $87 before (I bought @ $99 with 4 bottles and 1 small bottle cleaner). This compares to the Avent I bought @ around $130 (after 20% discount) is quite a lot of difference in price. If you have restrains in budget, go for the Pigeon one since it serves the same purpose. But if you planned to use it for a few babies down the road, Avent is a good investment...heh...

happy.gif
thanks bin, your advice has been very helpful. i really appreciate it. seems like the $99 Pigeon offer is not really a "good offer" per say, in terms of price. but by way of freebies, $99 offer now includes the baby starter kit, milk powder dispenser and breastmilk storage containers. out of curiousity, when did you get ya Avent and Pigeon sterilisers? does prices get twigged up every year? (not considering the GST increase lah
happy.gif
)

Hmm...I must have gotten the Avent one about a year ago (from Robinsons) and the Pigeon one half-yr ago (from John Little). Not too sure about price increase though.

If you think the stuff in the bundle is useful then go for it!
happy.gif

The pigeon rapid steam steriliser was $87 at the Takashimaya Baby fair and includes 2 wide neck bottles and a bottle of detergent.

I personally like the avent tray system better but prefer Pigeon's easy descaling. Pigeon's hot plate design is exposed and you can see when you need to descale.

I am planning to buy the Avent tray (only $10) from the Avent showroom to use with the Pigeon steriliser.

The steriliser is only used a lot in the first 6 - 12 months. After that, it is not necessary to sterilise anymore. So I am not sure if it is worth spending the extra.

In addition, Avent requires you to buy their citric acid sachet to descale regularly. Actually pigeon's steriliser comes with more cost effective descaling method using either lemon juice or vinegar water mix. I think the same method works for Avent but problem is - for Avent, you wouldn't be able to see when you need to descale.

Pigeon's steriliser also looks taller and may possibly fit taller items on the top shelf.

wow, thanks for all the useful feedback!

bin/belle - can i just check whether Avent's citric acid method is effective at descaling the machine? i don't mind spending the $ if the descaling really takes most (or preferably ALL) of the scale away, but the thought of non-removable scale accumulating over time is kinda gross!
happy.gif

Hi yolk sac,

Yup, think it's effective cos could see the scale removed after the descale cycle. But actually since I moved my unit to my mum's I've only descaled once and nothing much came off. Think cos my mum maintained it well, cleaning it after each cycle
happy.gif

Belle is right with lemon juice since it also contains citric acid, juz lower in concentration but natural
happy.gif
I've used Avent's citric acid sachet with my Pigeon steriliser and it works well too.

hi ladies,
am using the Pigeon sterilizer from mid of mar & had descale once but 1-2days after, the metal part already rusty. am puzzled y is this so? i used the leom juice method & had called Pigeon. The guy said it's nt rust but some other stuff and advised me to use vinegar & very confidently said, : "The rust will nt be there". Alas, it's still there!! Wld like to chk with Pigeon sterilizer users here, did u hv any prob like mine? Am wondering wat did i do wrong with the descling? thanks
happy.gif

vinegar is fine, i use lemon. throw 2 to 3 thick slices of lemon, ensure water level is at least 2 inches above these slices, cover & switch on, boil once, discard water, add more, boil again. discard everything, wipe the base with clean tissue, boil plain water repeatedly. heee... no one taught me, i just use method i use for my kettle. DS can have lemon milk imaging!!! hehe...

patentcherry,
assume u use pigeon sterilizer? so u throw the lemon slices in instead of squeeze the juices out & pour it in??

Hi rae,
usually i squeeze 1/2 a lemon and dilute it with water and fill up the sterilizer covering the metal heating part(abt 120ml water) and let it boil for a few mins (not the full cycle).
So after cooling, juz pour out the residue and rinsh the steriliser, u may want to consider using a sponge to clean the metal part and u'll see some rust residue.
After this rinishing, i'll let the steriliser run again but without any bottles etc.

Comparison between Avent and Pigeon. Pigeon is cheaper than Avent and it sterilises faster than Avent. Avent's comes with those racks for bottles etc which i dont find it useful. And like what a mummy mention, its difficult to see if the Avent steriliser needs descaling or not coz there metal heating part is covered.

Hope it helps.
happy.gif

rae,
as per mentioned with ningyo thats wat i did to my pigeon steriliser too. cos stupid mi didnt know that i must wash the steriliser so after sometime (almost 2 months!) i realised that at the bottom there is rust! (bad mummy) so i juse vinegar to scrap n wash it then pour 60ml vinegar and 60ml water to run the machine in 1 cycle then rinse n wash it again and used 120ml of water to run it again before using it again. hope i dun sounds too complicated.

hi, it was mentioned in bin's post that if the pigeon steriliser is not opened, can keep items sterile for 6 hours.

so if it's opened, say to use a bottle, then how long will the rest of the items in the seteriliser be kept sterile? or have to re-steam before use? thks.

still on the topic of Pigeon steriliser - is there any fundamental differences bewteen Pigeon Rapid Steriliser VS Pigeon Universal Steriliser?

esther
from what i heard once sterilised bottles can be dried out and left to dry on rack till ready to use so long as handle with tongs. but not 100% sure. better wait for more experienced mommies to give feedback ... just my 2 cents worth
happy.gif

Hi!

Esther, this is what I usu do. During weekdays I only need 2 bottles, 1 @ night and 1 next morning. So I'll only sterlise once a day in the evening. Over weekends, all bottles will be used within the day so at least 1 to 2 sterilisation cycles per day.

Not to worry too much about keeping the bottles sterile since babies will need to slowly build up their immune system once they arrive into this world
happy.gif

Elin, I personally feel that by drying the bottles on rack is equivalent to not sterilising the bottles after washing. Juz leave them in the unit till you need them. No idea abt the diff of the 2 types of sterliser.

bin
actually the reason why i mentioned to dry on racks was because Mrs Wong Boh Boi mentioned during class not to leave in steriliser whilst wet as bacteria can "build up" so she mentioned about drying them up but not handling them directly till use. i was quite hazy on that idea but its good to hear your input
happy.gif
although frankly, i am now more confused what is right thing to do ie for effective sterilisation
sad.gif

Hi Elin,

Hmm...i understand where Mrs. Wong is coming from. Anyhow, I still think shouldn't be overly concerned with keeping the environment very clean. Some dirt or dust will not do any harm to our babies, maybe even good
happy.gif

http://www.babycenter.com/news/?id=101633&scid=momsbaby:20070507:3511:100217:10560#story

When are you expecting your baby? When motherhood kicks in for me, I was too busy to be detailed in everything then :p Guess another good remedy is to go total breastfeeding during the first few months. No bottles to wash or sterilise...I surely missed those days!
happy.gif

thanks bin, baby is arriving in 2 months time so trying to get all items ready before the mad chaos that follows since still blur on certain issues. this is why i wanted to get some pros & cons on the Pigeon Rapid Steriliser and Pigeon Universal Steriliser from experienced mommies. decided to go with pigeon instead of Avent now as it seems more value for $
happy.gif

Hi Elin,
My friend has both Pigeon Rapid Steriliser and Pigeon Universal Steriliser, placed at home and office respectively. She mentioned Pigeon Universal Steriliser takes about 15 mins to steriliser and it is much smaller. However, she managed to throw in Avent Manual Pump and 1 260ml Avent Bottle to sterilise in it, need to put in an orderly way in order to fill in.

thanks so much Jenny
happy.gif
i didnt realise Pigeon Universal is smaller than Rapid. also the bit on how much capacity it'd take was very useful inforation for me in consideration of the items - thanks!
happy.gif

Hi Elin,

I attended Mrs Wong's class too & according to the notes that I've taken, she mentioned about assembling all the sterilised bottles with the teats & caps, & even demo to us step-by-step on the correct method of assembling. We should not handle the teats with our hands during assembly, so it's impt that we get a tong with good grip. The assembled bottles can be used within 24 hrs.

The part abt drying on the rack, what I heard from her is not to be misled by salesperson into buying those drying stand to dry the bottles as that would defeat the purpose of sterilising.

Hope the above info helps.

Hi, you have to be very careful with the cover for the rapid steam sterilizer. It break once you drop it on the floor. Have to get the replacement at Pigeon office for $10.

just to share that taka baby fair has good packages. i happened to go by pigeon counter first and i got lured by the package - rapid steam sterilizer (6 bottles) + baby food warmer (can adjust temp instead of just by levels) + starter kit + 2 or 3 more bottles (total 5 bottles). paid $149 (savings: $85).

then i went by avent counter to look see. didn't ask for price but the one thing that put me off was that the promoter said avent sterilizers can only take avent bottles. pigeon's one can take other brans as well.

My Avent Express had black particles each time I sterilized. I tried to use a cotton bud to brush on the metal base and goodness me... it's totally BLACK! That's why I decided to go buy a Pigeon Rapid immediately yesterday... but I paid $118 at Bugis BHG, no freebies. Has the price gone up?

The Sales girl told me that it's never been below $100 before.

wheeling, nope the price didn't gone up. the usual price is $118.30 with no freebies. unless is having promotion like taka baby fair.

Hi Mummies my advice is that you must always pour out the water after each sterilizering, cos when water is boiled for too many times if Iam not wrong, the "sodium"or whatever substance that is will increase and it will rust the metal part. I have notice that once I forgot to pour out the water from the previous cycle, and guess what the water turn yellow. It is best that you wash it after every cycle
happy.gif
to remove the build up. Actually to sterlise is to keep it hygenic but if the previous cycle water is not remove you are making your bottle dirtier. :p

Descaling means to get rid of e particles build up after many cycle of boiling...our electrical thermo pot need descaling too.
Natural descaling,u can use white vinegar add with some parts of water to boil n e particles will come off.
Or lemon juice alone to boil.

talking about descaling Avent sterlizer, hope nobody made the same mistake I did. My wife asked me to prepare the set to prepare the bottle storing breast-milk. I descale with Citric Acid BUT by closing the LID. (the instruction stated let the lid open). Now the sterilize come out wiht plastic smell, and it can't be removed after >5X sterelize. Thinking to dispose it now - don't want to take risk for our 3-day-old baby.
anybody know where to buy the sterlizer (either Avent/Pigeon is OK)? of course, with good bargain.

binjai...make a trip down to bb fair @ taka...both are offering pretty worthwhile pkg for their sterilisers...the only downside for u would b they are packaged with milk bottle which u may not require...

thanks, piyobaby.
Got the items from Taka. Choose the Avent IQ24, it can be used to run as normal sterilizer (i.e express) as well as continous run 24-hours.

Anyone selling 2nd hand PIGEON Rapid Steam Sterilizer? I'm thinking to get a cheaper one since this is my 3rd baby and is last one... my budget is $20-30.

Anyone having the Pigeon Universal sterilizer? I have a hand-me-down unit but not sure the volume of water to put in.
Pls advise. Thanks!

Hi, I have a PIGEON Rapid Steam Sterilizer to let go. Still under warranty, comes with warranty card, manual and all accessories. Used for less than 1 month, so in almost brand-new condition. Letting go at $80. Sms me at 97843715 if interested. Thanks.
5488491.jpg

Hi,
I am using pigeon sterilizer and i find that the water in the bottom remains the same even after a sterilization cycle. Any idea why this happens? i am wondering if the bottles are getting sterilized properly?? Usually the water used to completely evaporate after a cycle....

Back