AUTISM, ADHD, ADD, etc - SUPPORT GROUP!

My son admitted twice...now give lots of fruits n water..n lactose fort..if not give yakult also can..nresortleet him as last resort

Saw a post where a mummy give flaxseed meal to her child who has constipation. Has omega 3, fibre and other benefits. I tried on my son and it helps to regulate his bowl movement. Not sure if it helps for extreme cases.

Hi! Can anyone tell me which is the hair salon tat can help autism kids to cut their hair? My boy is currently 4yrs plus.. thanks

Vivien
Any salon can do it as it depends on how you prep your kid.

My son hated hair cut too and will cry so much that it is impossible to cut his hair. But it got much better after I showed him the steps of cutting hair using a picture story. And I prep him a week in advance, showing him the story daily. On top of that, I also bought this apron which I got from Isetan sometime back. It is put over the head such that when the hair falls, the apron catches it before it falls on his body.

And while the hairdresser cuts his hair, we also distract him with the ipad. He had no problem with cutting hair there after, until the latest episode when I did not prep him in advance and brought him to a different salon.

Hi, any mommies looking for home-based ABA/Behavioural therapist for Seng Kang, Ponggol, AMK area, do contact me. My son's therapist is coming out to freelance on her own. She has been working with my boy since he was diagnosed with ASD at 2 years old (he's now 5) and she has been a great help & support to us. So, want to do her this favour.

Do PM me if keen to find out more.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_msexcel.gif

Osteopathy Treatment.xls (91.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>

My son sees Dr Loo at 1 Coleman, #B1-25 The Adelphi, Singapore 179803. Tel 63367110

After 3 sessions, he has improved eye contact and been talking more.

She works on Mon, Wed and Fri only.

Hi ladies,

My 2 1/2 yrs suspected to have mild autisim by the KKH. The strange thing is that the Doc herself dun think that he is autisic. But it is the speech therapist who flagged out to the Doc, suspecting my boy to be autistic. But as a child, he is functioning well. No issues in mainstream childcare at all. The teachers love him. The cc even started toilet training for him. Only issues with him should be his speech. Still not hitting his language milestones. In fact, his cc teacher saying that he quite good with his motor skills (gross &amp; fine) and good with arts and music.

We went to the Next Step Workshop. Got to q up for the ELIP centre. But I am thinking to go for a 2nd opinion.

Anyone can offer some advice?

My son, GDD, is 2yrs 10 mths and is attending mainstream PCF little steps class every day for 2 hrs. Recently, we have been offered a place at THK EIPIC Tampines but it is difficult to fit in the timings.. He would be really tired if we try to accommodate both PCF and EIPIC classes. T

Appreciate it if mummies with similar experience can advise and share tips. Also looking for any feedback and review on THK Eipic... Please email me or PM me as I hardly have time to check thread. Thanks in advance!

Hi dear mummies

My son has just been diagnosed with ASD. I don't even know his severity and how to help him best now.

The doctor has recommended that I enroll him in a mainstream pre-school while starting private OT at the same time, before we get allocated an EIPIC.

ST is not recommended yet as my son is unable to sit still and receive instructions.

What are your views on this? Would it be useful to start ABA therapy, and enroll him in private EIPIC or special schools like K4K instead of mainstream CC?

We live in Yio Chu Kang area, anyone know of mainstream CC / pre-school that accepts kids with ASD? I don't know how to react, whether to inform the CC of his condition during enrolment or not.

Hi applecrab, my boy's classmate who is currently attending EIPIC along with him is diagnosed with "suspected autism". Speech is good, fine motor skills are up to par. Just somewhat inattentive and disturbing the rest of the classmates. My boy is diagnosed with speech delay and he's communicating well with us after 1 year attending EIPIC. That being said, trust your instincts. If you feel the need to seek 2nd opinion, why not? But I'll suggest EIPIC still due to the low cost and vast improvements the OT and ST have done with him.

Hi icy_cold, your doctor is right. It's always good for children to mingle around socially with each other despite the "differences" being labelled on them. I have no experience with ABA, private EIPIC and K4K, though I learnt here the K4K at Toa Payoh has a ST and OT component where the kids can get additional support. I told my boy's mainstream CC principal about his EIPIC arrangements and got positive feedback. It won't hurt to ask, I guess.

Hi,
My son who is turning 5 this year was being conclude by the CC that he might have ADHD. We are still waiting for the school to give us a referral letter to polyclinic to seek help.

We realised that he got worst this year.
Reasons why the school conclude this was he does not sit down in class and listen like other children but he able to reply what he was being asked what the teacher taught. He able to sit down and complete his work if that piece of work is hands on.
When he got angry, he will start throwing temper and hit/kick/punch someone. He must do the way or certain at that point of time. He cannot accept "NO" for an answer.
The CC mentioned that he always walked away to other class or disturb the class by cleaning the white board when teacher writting or disturb his classmates.
If not he will always be compained by other parents saying my son hit their child.

From the first of school, my son have never complain to us that he being bullied in school. Even when he was being hit or scratch he cries and get over it. He does make noise or complain. He does not tell us a lot of happening in school till someone complain about him. When we asked him, he will tell us a different story.

The CC keep complaining to us about his behaviour and we have been called to the school twice for meet up session. The principal told us that if he continue like this, she suggest that we only send his for half day school. This make us very upset.

Any parents facing their child who are hyperactive and school trying to reject them and not helping?
What do you do?

Hi luvagape, thanks for your advice. I've decided to start my boy on 1:1 ABA therapy first till he can sit down and receive instructions before sending him to a pre-school.

Anyone has experience with AWWA as an EIPIC center? I've been offered AWWA with 3 to 6 months waiting period. However my first choice was ARC but the waiting period now is 12 to 18 months. Wondering if I should settle for AWWA instead...

Hi icy_cold, all the best for the ABA therapy!

Hi JJL, sorry to learn about the issues your son is having at his CC. Your son appears to be a kinesthetic learner, where the style in which he learns, sadly borders on an ADHD suspicion. This URL may give better insight: http://www.all-gifted.com/kinesthetic.html Seems to me, sports may be right up his alley. Since he is turning 5 soon, there are many sporting activities to "tame" the "hyperactive" streak in him, like taekwondo, swimming or cycling.

The CC teachers have many young kids under their charge, and can't pay special attention to each one of their progress. I had given feedback more than 6 mths ago about CC nonchalant attitude to my son's therapists, and have decided to be more involved, and remove whatever labels CC have pasted on him. Hope my 2 cents knowledge is helpful.

Last edited:
Hi luvagrape,

Thanks for the link. I read and find that it looks like what my boy is going through now.

However, we visited the polyclinic to get the referral letter. The doctor concluded that he a bit active. He keep moving around the room and exploring. Doc mentioned that it doesn't looks very severe.

We will wait for KKH to call for the appointment and do the assessment and see what's the outcome.

On the other hand, We are very involve in what boy do in school. The teachers do feedback me what happened. When my boy get hurts, we are quite ok with it as it was growing stage. Small cut or bruises we normally ignore it. We don't go complaint and make big issue. Maybe we are too kind to the school, in the end, they thought they could bully us. We are very disappointed with the school. We are looking at other CC, hopefully we can change school by next year.

Anyway , thanks for the info.

Hi Mummies, my girl is 2yo and her attention span is very short and she is really very active and couldn't sit still to finish anything, She can speak well and able to point and tell us what she wants but she hardly follow our instructions. She also mingle well with her cousins. I am not sure if she is having the "terrible 2" stage or having some symptoms of ADHD/ADD.etc
Any recommendation where can i bring her for assessment? Do i need an referral letter, Actually I have enrol her to the a CC & she is starting school in Oct...I am not sure if I should just wait and see what the teachers say after she start school? My hubby just feel that she is just very active but I am worried.

Hi all, the new forum looks great.

My son and daughter both see a therapist from DM Therapy SG. They do assessments too :)

I have been with them for a long time now and for me they have shown results and i am very thankful to them and GOD of course

Their website : http://dmtherapysg.wordpress.com/

hi mommies, i am new here and i am lost. I dont know what to do and how to help my son who is turning 17 this year. He is actually mildly autistic and had long been discharged by his doctor when he was much younger. The problem with him is he lacks social skills and have problems interacting with people. Now, the main concern is as he is growing into a teen and i think puberty sets in and he is having difficulties expressing his needs and his interests. He tried to approach girls around his age in our block and tried to make friends with them. The thing is he doesnt know the right way to do so. In the end, he made himself seen as a stalker. My girls' mommies told me the other days. I am worried that he might end up touching the girls or.....

Pls advice

thanks mommies and may God bless all these kids....

Hi JJL, you are welcome. Yes better to have the experts at KKH to assess your boy. I also agree, cannot keep too quiet at the cc. Like when my boy said a bad word which his therapists and us at home have never used it. the cc replied saying they will look into it and possibly avoid such a thing from happening again.

Hi chan64, your son reminded me of myself when i was 16-17. i wasn't talking much and had great difficulties socializing. Your son's difficulty in expressing his needs and interests may seem like a uphill task for you. But at least he's trying hard, judging by his intention to make friends. He being a "stalker" would probably mean he was looking at them from afar, dared not go near the girls but they know he was there.

i assume he goes to mainstream sec school where he'd have learnt about puberty. maybe it'd be good if he's given a refresher course on how to behave around girls, to get rid of your worries. bring your son out to meet people, like watching the teens performing a sporting activity, or anything that catches his interest like cars, music, books, delivering goods to the needy etc. Try everything legal under the sun. Building his self-confidence will earn dividends in the long run. God bless :)

Dear all, I'm new here and I'm glad to find this support group to read about similar experiences and to clarify doubts.
My son is 20 months. He does not respond to his name and has poor eye contact. He does not point, wave or clap his hands. He also has no words yet but babbles a lot of baby language. He has high anxiety level when he goes to clinics as he remembers them as injection sessions. His greatest strength is his motor skills and memory!

We have seen Dr Lian at special kids clinic in Thomson few weeks ago and she suggested to work on my son's developmental delay first before any diagnosis. She recommended OT to work on his high anxiety level and has referred me to EIPIC. We have just started him on private OT at planet learning for two weeks now while waiting for EIPIC to come in. So far, no one from SGENABLE has called me to confirm on my application. How long does it takes for them to confirm my application?

Im struggling here as my husband feel that my son wil outgrown all the delays and he hates it when the OT says my son has mild autism. Every week, he will complain that the OT sessions are meaningless and might hinder his creativity etc. The OT is actually working on my son's ability to listen to instructions as he wants to do things his way and start crying when things are taken away from him. He also has short attention span and tend to start on one activity and then move on to the next very quickly without ending the first. Hence the weekly OT session is a struggle for my son to sit down and do the instructed activities by the OT and he often ends up crying badly which pained my husband. I'm caught in between as i believe in early intervention while my husband feels otherwise. We have signed up for OT sessions for 5 sessions and if no improvement, I believe my husband will want to withdraw. But I believe OT will take at least few months to see improvement. What should I do?

chan64,
the problem u are facing now is exactly what I am afraid of when my son grows up. Because ASD kids don't know how to approach others, their actions may seem inappropriate and will be misunderstood as a pervert or stalker. As it is my son tried to get close to his classmate in kindy, a girl and his method was to touch her hair and face and sit as close as possible. But luckily it was for a short period, he stopped doing that after we told him again and again that he cannot do that.

jenyeo
5 sessions of OT is too short a period to assess the effectiveness especially since your boy is only 2. I think u need to give the OT at least 6mths before u can see real improvement. If it pains your husband to see your son cries, why not ask him to leave the room and let the OT handle him? He can join the class again at the last 15mins. Sometimes, the kid is not compliant because he knows that the parent is around. I feel that your OT is working towards the right direction, as in to get him to comply and finish the task on hand. This is an important factor when he starts his education journey.

Perhaps your husband is in denial and does not want to accept that your boy has developmental issues. But this is what every parent of a special needs child will go through, is a cycle. First is denial, next comes angst (ask why this has to happen to my child), then comes grieve as u slowly accept his condition and finally, accept and start to find help for him. It took me a year to fully accept my son's condition but i did not stop finding help for him. OT, ST, EIPIC, neurofeedback, the list goes on. And u have to be prepared that there will be situations that u need to change his 'treatment' based on his needs at different stage. Sometimes this particular OT is good but after a while, progress becomes stagnant and then u will have to find another OT that can stimulate another sprout of improvement in him. Same for ST and EIPIC. Apart from OT, u may also want to consider ABA which is said to be an effective treatment for ASD.

Did u send your application to SGENABLE via Dr Lian? if yes, can check with her clinic or u can actually call SGENABLE directly to check.
Which EIPIC centre are u intending to send your boy too? For ASD, I have heard very good reviews about ARC (whose Chairman is MP Denise Phua who also has an ASD son).

As for whether your son will outgrow the delays, I think no one knows for sure. For my son, of course he improves as he gets older but I believe it is largely due to intervention. But there are also other sets of problems that come with him growing up, such as the ability to concentrate in class, listen and carry out 2-3-4 steps instructions, language proficiency, social skills etc. As he grows older, the issue is not just for him to be able to talk and have speech but the ability to carry out conversation with others or initiate conversation, the ability for him to understand cause and effect (eg. I cannot touch the fire because it will burn my hand or I cry because my friend hit me). So i believe is important to have a strong foundation through early intervention since young, so that he is better prepared to handle more things that will come his way.

I have read that massages help children with autism and ADHD. Brought my girls for massage at this children's spa place and saw a mother with a child with autism. Apparently they have been going there regularly and her son seemed to be more calm after starting the sessions. Maybe u wanna try? It's at my kids spa at turf city

My boy also "suspected mild autism" by KKH's doctor. Why the doctor cannot just CONFIRM if he really autism? Doctor adviced us put him both normal childcare and EPIC. Adding to our burden...not to say much more time spent.

My boy 4 years old, much more advanced in learning, speech OK. Find the lesson in PCF really boring, does not like to share toys much, and only have a few friends whom he clicked with and play with. He can sit still when something is of interest.

Now PCF's principal and teacher in charge seem to keep pressuring us put him in some sort of special school to learn communication, especially the teacher, keep asking when go EPIC? Anybody same boat as ours?

How to know if the diagnose is 100% true? Just because my boy likes to line things in straight line is autism? He also stack thing up such as LEGO, but does not do this all the time.

When we went to assessment in EPIC centres recommend, all the assessment people said look normal, look OK.

Hi all,

I used to be a therapist with AutismPartnership Singapore (http://www.autismpartnershipsg.com/)

Recently i came across a website that provides a one stop needs for most parents (http://www.autismneed.com/home.html)

website provides creative arts sets to help develop interest, toys that mostly target motor skills development, teaching materials which parents could use and books and research that are really helpful.

Do check it out and hope this helps =)

Hi, I have a 4.5 yo assessed with mild autism. He's starting at THK EIPIC AMK tomorrow and he's also attending a normal childcare.

Jazzyjj - sometimes I also have my doubts on the assessment made by these so called professionals especially if it's a mild case of ASD, it's even harder to assess. But as parents, we will do whatever we can to make the roads of our children easier. When I sent my son to enrolment assessment, the senior asked me if I agreed with the assessment made by the doctor (??).

Louisa- until today I still have issues with cutting my sons's hair, he was ok when he was younger. Not sure what happened but now, I had to resort to cutting his hair myself at home!

Hi, I have a 4.5 yo assessed with mild autism. He's starting at THK EIPIC AMK tomorrow and he's also attending a normal childcare.

Jazzyjj - sometimes I also have my doubts on the assessment made by these so called professionals especially if it's a mild case of ASD, it's even harder to assess. But as parents, we will do whatever we can to make the roads of our children easier. When I sent my son to enrolment assessment, the senior asked me if I agreed with the assessment made by the doctor (??).

When I go enrolment assessment with one of the EPIC centres, they also ask the same question about what we feel about this, and tell us that our boy looks normal? By the time from KKH assessment till now, my boy has outgrown some of his habits by himself (different from the questionaire done in KKH), and the enrolment of EPIC has not even reach our turn yet.

Which EIPIC school you applied? Mine took about 4 months. My boy has also outgrown some of his habits. Did you attend the SignPost workshop at KKH?

Dear Parents,
I am Offering customized tutoring/coaching/intervention for children with special needs in the following areas:
Language and Literacy - reading(special reading program will be tailor made to meet your child's ability/needs), writing, speaking and listening skills
Maths-early number skills and concepts building
Any other area as required.
Free assessment and reasonable fee.
Contact 94556627 for further details or email: [email protected]

Its never too late to start:)

My colleague who has a autistic child had a one to one therapist to work on his son at Spectrum learning. Has anyone heard of them before?

Hi,

We are in the process of deciding whether to place our son in Pathlight or mainstream. Any parents who can share their experience? f he goes mainstream, I am concerened he won't get enough attention, but I am also worried that his behavioural issues might get worse - e.g. he will become even more rigid. Any advice will be appreciated!

Hi Caramel08

You may wish to take into consideration your son's progress, teachers', therapists' and psychologist's feedback on his readiness for mainstream? At least that was what I did before enrolling my kid into the mainstream. Also, we visited the school of our choice and spoke to the Principal to have a feel of how great their acceptance on having special needs students.

It has been 10 good months for my child in the mainstream and he is coping fine. He did not become more rigid, (though rigidity still exist) and in fact, is more sociable and independent. Although I must admit that it is not all smooth sailing throughout this period, I am very glad that we have put our trust in the right school (which has strong belief in Teachers-Parents' partnering) as his teachers do keep us in tab on the progress of my child.

Hi Caramel08,

You may want to consider the assessment done by the various psychologist that you've visited. It really depends on the current condition of your child, also the school environment that your child will be enrol into is important too. If your son is a high-functioning autism kid, he should be able to cope better with the mainstream school. However he may feel that he is "special" due to his condition when the school teachers get to know about it when you enrol him into the mainstream schools.

When I go enrolment assessment with one of the EPIC centres, they also ask the same question about what we feel about this, and tell us that our boy looks normal? By the time from KKH assessment till now, my boy has outgrown some of his habits by himself (different from the questionaire done in KKH), and the enrolment of EPIC has not even reach our turn yet.

Maybe you would like to try doing a assessment from Spectrum Learning Pte Ltd at UE square? Recently my colleagues and I attended a talk on intervention for parents with autistic children conducted by their principal consultant and was shocked to find that their son had high amount of Mercury in the body which is one of the causes of Autism.

Hi mummies I am new to here.. I have a 4 yr old boy who is adhd and gdd attending epic at spastic n normal PCF in the morning as well.. As he was born with many complications, I tried in all ways to help him as much as I am able to in his diet.. Weird as it may seem.. His condition started improving when I introduced camel milk to him.. Yes camel milk!! he stopped all his medications and is discharged from various clinics from kkh!! so u can imagine all my time i used to bring him to the hospital is all saved!! and he can spend more time on other stuff than waiting in the hospital!! The benefits of camel milk is here..

http://www.naturalhealth365.com/autism_news/camel-milk.html

If anyone is interested in trying.. I do have camel milk in powder sachets.. It's very difficult to find and it's delicious to drink not only for kids.. Even adults suffering from diabetes benefit from camel milk n need not require insulin jabs.. It's perfectly fine for everyone!! Best of all!! Even lactose intolerance people can consume it!!

U may whatsapp me at 97632723 my name is althea!! The milk sachets are in boxes of 20 packets per box and at sgd 30 per box!!

Last edited:
Hi mummies!
I am new here.
I have a boy who will be turning 4 this November. He is currently attending THK EIPIC Tampines every alternate days (Mon, Wed and Fri) for 3 hours lesson. There is OT, ST and teacher and assistant teachers there. The class size is average - about 8 students in a class.
My boy does not speak yet. This is the part I am most worried at. He cannot convey to us what he wants except to hold our hand to gesture what he wants each time. He is not toilet-trained and I am also quite concerned on how to train him on that. He is quite into iphone and ipad, he can play on it the whole day. Nowadays, he like to put his fingers into his mouth or anything he can find and put into his mouth. This is worrying as he doesn't know the danger of small items. He cannot sit still, he likes to jump around and run around. When he stands, his feet will be in contact with some items - either kicking or pushing something. He also like to push himself on us, for eg, press his chin real hard onto our hand, think it is for sensory input.
His eye contact has improved but still poor in general.
He will scream in excitement when he feels happy and look into your eye then. I always yearn for such moments.
Sometimes, I feel so depressed whenever I look at him, thinking how he can survive on his own when he grows older and that I am not around with him. But there are times when I am really angry with his actions, for putting items into his mouth or doesn't understand what I want him to do.
I am like any ordinary mummies who just want their children to grow up happy and healthy.
Anyone can tell me what I should do to help my boy?

Liet can u pm me.what my frds are trying are ABA.you need to take care of yourself..look at your child's strength.my nephew is so much btr now at 9 years old.

Hi All,

I had the same problem as you guys. My son 6 years old and going to P1 next year. I had brought him to KKH and he just did the IQ test last week at Child Development located at SGH . The test cost me around $600++. I'm not Singaporean, for PR no subsidize. He needs to go another 2 test this month ASD test and OT test. In fact, I suspect my son with ADHD+ASD since he 4 YO. My daughter has mild ASD and been assessed by MOE when she was P2. The school very supportive and they have assigned SPARK sosial worker to monitor my daughter progress. So far my daughter doing well and she can manage with her school work.

Before the report out, the doc suggested my son to go Pathlight or Eden school but both under waiting list for a year. So, after discussed with my hubby we decided to put him at mainstream same school with cece. I had informed the school SPARK dept. that my son had enrolled P1 and asked them for help to look after/monitor my son progress.
I'm still hesitating whether to give him 'drug' Ritalin to control his active behaviour during school time, but I read from internet this drug have many side effect.

"Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.
Ritalin is used to treat attention deficit disorder (ADD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It is also used in the treatment of a sleep disorder called narcolepsy (an uncontrollable desire to sleep). When given for attention deficit disorders, Ritalin should be an integral part of a total treatment program that may include counseling or other therapies." But this drug commonly used in Sg according to Dr. Loo.
common
  • Fast heartbeat
Less common
  • Chest pain
  • fever
  • joint pain
  • skin rash or hives
Rare
  • Black, tarry stools
  • blood in the urine or stools
  • blurred vision or other changes in vision
  • convulsions
  • crusting, dryness, or flaking of the skin
  • muscle cramps
  • pinpoint red spots on the skin
  • scaling, severe redness, soreness, or swelling of the skin
  • uncontrolled vocal outbursts or tics (uncontrolled and repeated body movements)
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
Incidence not known
  • Confusion
  • feeling like surroundings are not real
  • depression
  • hives or welts
  • numbness of the hands
  • painful or difficult urination
  • pale skin
  • paleness or cold feeling in the fingertips and toes
  • red, irritated eyes
  • red, swollen, or scaly skin
  • seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
  • severe or sudden headache
  • shortness of breath
  • sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
  • sudden loss of coordination
  • sudden slurring of speech
  • tingling or pain in the fingers or toes when exposed to cold
  • unusual behavior
  • unusual tiredness or weakness
  • weight loss
  • yellow skin or eyes

My son had attended 2.5 years OT therapy at JB coz Sg very costly. I live in JB and moved in to Sg on September 2013. My daughter has travel in & out since P1 - P3 via school bus. She has to wake up at 4.45am everyday and catch up schoold bus at 5.20am. At first, I'm quite worry but no choice we're working parents and can't send her out everyday. I move in to Sg bcoz of my son and I think Sg is safer country for us.

I gave my son Efamol fish oil Omega 3 with high DHA 210mg which I heard can help kids with ADHD & ASD. We have to control them for taking sweet or chocolate, this will make them more active.

Any of you taking Ritalin for your kids? I plan to try out this drug coz my son can't sit still at the class and like to disturb others kids. You can whatsapp me if you want to discuss about our kids condition, I'm willing to share. 94500735. Thank you.

If anybody needs a good special needs tutor eg dyslexia ADHD or autism, I recommend my son's tutor. He is competent and very professional. I have seen a significant improvement in my son's grades. email me at [email protected] and I will give his contact.

Hi odae and babyforme,

Thanks for the responses:) Unfortunately, our therapists ( OT and ST), special ed teacher and psychologist are completely split on this. We did the IQ and academic testing, and the results were split down the middle - so it can go either way. Academically, we know he can do the work, but socially he may not cope well if he doesn't have strong support - in his current mainstream kindy he is doing well as his teacher really invests time with him and gets the other kids to befriend him, so we know it is possible if he has enough encouragement. And if he lags behind socially, it will affect his confidence, and the academic part will also go downhill.

I have been spending so much time talking to teachers and therapists the past few weeks, I have a headache:)

How did you help your kids cope with making friends, getting along with others in mainstream school? Did you consider deferring your child from P1?

Hi Liet,

Have you considered one-on-one OT for your son? A good OT therapist will work with your son, and importantly, teach you how to do excercises with him at home - this worked really well for us. My son used to walk around in circles, hoard toys, sing loudly to himself , scream etc - some things we overcame with time and OT, and other things he has learnt to self-regulate through OT. Some of these things also come and go in phases, especially when he feels anxious or is being stretched mentally and emotionally. For us, the biting down/chewing on his fingers was one such thing, that would come and go. Our therapist guided me on how to address it, identify what could be causing it, and gave me some simple tips to help him through- e.g. I just gave him crunchier food like watermelon and biscuits to eat for snacks, so he could have that chomping down sensation. I also learnt to redirect him to a different task, preferably one that uses his hands, so he won't be putting them in his mouth - therapist told me not to tell him to 'not put his fingers in his mouth', but simply get him to do something else which uses his fingers. She made an interesting point - she said imagine someone tells you NOT to do something , won't that be all you think about, and that will make you more likely to do it.

I think a good OT really helps. PM me if you need a reco ok?

Hi mummies,

Perhaps you can consider ABA therapy? I have seen children with autism who have benefited and improved after starting ABA therapy. There are a few centres that specializes in individual therapy, small social skills groups and school preparation/integration classes. I recommend The Colourful Mind Behaviour Therapy Centre and Social Steps as they are started by aba therapists who have been working with children with autism for a number of years. Maybe u can google and find out more from their websites. Hope this helps!

Hi All,

Just want to check, at what age should we send our son for diagnosis? My son just entered pre-school and is 4 this year. We tot his social interaction isnt up to his level, he doesnt ask us questions, nor play with us, and he echolalia alot.. :( but he can read very very well, even the teachers in school also noticed that. We susupect he has Aspergers Syndrome, any parents has such experience to share more with us? Kinda lost, should we wait a while longer before we send him for an asessement? and where can i send him for an assessment?
Thanks!

Hi
You may want to send him to a private psychologist or thru polyclinic for the assessment.
Private psychologist will be faster but more costly.
I would suggest not to wait as he's already 4 years old. Cos if you need intervention, waiting list may be long.

Hi,

If you want to wait a while more for assessment, you can start private therapy classes first on his social awareness/skills and social communication.
If your child is academically ok, there may not be a need to get an assessment unless you want to seek special accomodations for your child, like P1 deferment, application to Pathlight, application for EIPIC (which may not be required if child is just Aspergers), etc.

Back