Anyone trying to conceive #2 while breastfeeding #1?

Hi mummies out there,

I just gave birth in dec 2008 and am partially breastfeeding my baby. Hubby and I want to conceive #2 as soon as possible as we are not that young so that our children age gap are narrow and they can grow up together.

I'm just wondering whether there are any of you out there who were successful in conceiving the 2nd baby while breastfeeding the 1st baby? I've not gotten my period since giving birth so am anxious about when I am fertile as well.

Should I stop breastfeeding completely? my boy has already been breastfeeding for three months, taking in one FM feed everynight. I am emotionally and physically ready to wean my body off breastfeeding if I can become pregnant again.

Hi maidenleak,

To answer your question - no,you do not need to wean your baby off even if you are trying for #2. There are friends I know who have conceived their 2nd child even though they are bf exclusively.

Breastfeeding is not a foolproof way to prevent pregancy. FYI, I have bf my boy since birth till now (mainly 1 night feed now). He is now 18 months and I am expecting my #2.

Hi ah_ren,

Congrats on your 2nd pregnancy!
happy.gif

Thanks for clarifying! Am relieved to hear that I don't have to completely wean my body off breastfeeding to conceive #2.
happy.gif

Hi!

I think some mummies do strike when still BF-ing. But for me (and I think quite a number of other mummies), my period only came when I completely stopped BF, and it came abut 2 months after I stopped completely. I think it depends. I got preggie afte 2 cycles of period, so yes, I do believe that we are more fertie in the yr+ after giving birth!

However, it's always good to BF at least 6 months. Good for baby! :D

All the best!

I had my mense (very light) when my girl was 8 months old when i was still TBF my girl. And I noticed I ovulate too. How do i know? At a particular day in each month, my nipple was so sensitive and sore. I was so puzzle because the pain will go away after a few days and then i noticed it's usually mid of my circle and i began to suspect that. So, i did a check in the internet and confirmed that some ladies who have extending BF (BF more than 1 year) will have this experience. So, it's an added adv for family planning..hahaha...

By the way, the sore was really damn sore hor..Really ouch! When my girl latch on it, my tear can drop out one.But it only last less than 1 minute lah..So, i just grit my teeth..

I conceived my 2nd kid when my 1st kid was only 5 months old & I was EXCLUSIVELY breastfeeding (no formula, no milk, nothing except mommy's milk). My period never returned so in a sense I never could check when I was having 'fertile' period. I continued breastfeeding my 1st kid until he self-weaned at 10.5 months old... that's when the milk turned salty (due to pregnancy hormones). You definitely can get pregnant while breastfeeding. And you definitely should continue breasfeeding even when pregnant - it's totally safe. My gynae confirmed it's safe!

hi
i got pregnant with #2 when my ger was 2 mths old.. my menses came as though i had never given birth at all. my ger was either latching on or on EBM coz she choke when my letdown was too fast to swallow. My milk supply then stopped when my ger is 3mths...

now i am 17wks pregnant and my ger just turn 6 mths.

didn't expect this thread to still be active. Yes there will still be milk while pregnant with number #2. I've seen pregnant mothers breastfeeding their baby/toddlers.
As for me, I am weaning off my 4 months baby now. He's only having 1 or 2 BM feeds a day as I am returning to work really soon and won't be able to pump as my work is very much on the go.

Taslyn,

Btw, your second pregnancy came when your newborn was 2 months old?
happy.gif

That sounds great! Congratulations!
I wonder whether I will feel guilty towards my 4 month old baby if I succeed in conceiving. I won't be able to carry him that often and will miss that.
sad.gif

hi ladies...

just a question...if we continue to bf our kids when we are preg with the second one, what happens to the colostrum? wun baby number 1 drink up the colostrum meant for number 2?

maidenleak
yeah lor.. 2nd pregnancy came when my ger turned 2 mths... luckily i am a SAHM so it is not too bad for me, else i wun know how to juggle between work n bb n being preggy...

i am still carrying my ger.. she is ard 8.5kg now n sticks to me like glue. i tried carrying her by arms/sling/carrier for several hours (coz was travelling) and had no problem.

bbunny
colostrum only starts for the 1st few days after u give birth.. maybe b4 that u can pump out more BM and give it to #1 when u start BF #2... then u dun need to worry #1 drinking all the precious colostrum meant for #2 loooo..

Hi mummies...

Congraulations to those who managed to conceive while breastfeeding!

I breast-fed my ger exclusively for 13 mths, and she went on partial breast milk + formula for 7 mths before I stopped breastfeeding completely...

Till today, 4 weeks after I stopped breastfeeding completely, my menses still hasnt come.

Is is true that mummies go through a period of "infertile-ness" after stopping breastfeeding? I read in somewhere...

Really hope to conceive my #2 soon.

lolli,

Just keep trying and mabe you'll hit the jackpot!
happy.gif
Wishing you all the best in conceiving.

I hope to get pregnant soon too. I've just stopped breastfeeding, menses not here too. Btw, I haven't heard that mummies go through a period of infertile-ness after stopping breastfeeding.

Anyway, heard that even if your menses is not here, you can tell you're ovulating when your nipples are sore.

Hi ladies, 1 question to ask. How do I know that I am pregnant if my menses did not return at all. Cos now I m having a 2 mth old girl.

I had my girl when i am still breastfeeding my son.

i actually weaned my 3 yo son off ard 2 wks after my girl was born.

hello everyone. my son just turn 4 mths in dec and im plannign to conceive #2 when he 6 mths. i still plan to do BF partially. but how do i tell if im ovulating and fertile if my menses dont return since im still BF my #1? and what are the method to check when my ovulation date cos im pretty confuse. unlike when we mensturating, we can do a check and count the no. of days but when BF and no menses then how to check which day im fertile to try. can i still use the ovulation kit?

need advice... thanks!

Dear Mummies,

I conceive my #2 while I was still breastfeeding my #1 at 15mths old. I carried on bfeeding all the way until I gave birth to my #2. Strangely, my #1 stopped latching on a few days before I gave birth. But thank goodness #1 cont' to drink the EBM that I pump out.

For those mummies who would like to know how to conceive while you are bfeeding and no menses yet. Usually just before your menses, your milk supply dip. So take note of that that you can mark it on your calendar.

I want to encourage all mummies to cont' to bfeed your #1 even when you are trying to #2. I think it will help #1 to feel secure and confident that your love for him/her is still the same
happy.gif

Or at least that is what I like to think for my children. My #2 is turning 1 while my #1 is turning 3 soon - both still on Breastmilk. I am a working mum who travel from time to time ;)

If I can do it.. I believe you can do it too
happy.gif

hello babychan1.

but sometime due to work stress or stress the milk supply may dip on certain days and that is not sure way to prove that im ovulating is it?

i wanted to try for 2nd one but i dont want to just anyhow try at anytime esp with small infant of 4mth, having sex wif my hubby is probably not the most active things i want to do it frequently.

and im Total breastfeeding and i dont have menses yet. then how to try and know my fertile day?

Hi Wish to be mum (Fatfat)
happy.gif

During breastfeeding, your body produces higher levels of the hormone prolactin, which suppresses ovulation. This alone reduces your chances of getting pregnant while breastfeeding to an estimated 1 to 2 percent. The percentage increases throughout the first year, raising the chance of conception to 6 percent after six months.

However, understand how your cycle works might help. Think of it as Part 1: before ovulation; and Part 2: after ovulation. During an average 28-day cycle, the following changes occur in your body:

Day one is the first day that bleeding begins. This usually lasts somewhere between three to six days. By the seventh day, the eggs in the ovaries start to ripen. This is caused by the release of the hormone FSH (follicle stimulating hormone). The uterus starts to thicken to prepare for a fertilized egg. After a few days, the ripest egg is released. In a normal 28-day cycle, this happens on day 14.
Around day 14, the egg travels down the fallopian tube toward the uterus. At this point, if a single male sperm fertilizes it, the egg may attach to the lining of the uterus, and pregnancy will begin. This stage is called implantation. If fertilization does not occur, the egg will start to break apart. At about day 25, the hormone levels decrease and this causes the uterus to break down and the lining is shed in a menstrual period.

The most fertile time in your cycle depends on a few things, such as when you ovulate. The chances of getting pregnant are greater during the six-day phase that ends with ovulation. This is because sperm can live inside a woman's body for five to seven days, while the egg lives about one day.

Charting Your Cycle
There are changes going on in your body that help you to predict when you are most fertile. Keeping track of these changes will aid in determining when you are ovulating. Below are three methods of charting:

Temperature method: Take your temperature every morning before rising. On the day of ovulation you will discover a rise in your temperature by 0.4 degrees to 0.8 degrees Fahrenheit. Don't forget a single day, as consistency is key to this method. Your body temperature will remain higher from the day of ovulation until your period begins.

Cervical Mucous Method: This method involves close examination of the changes in your cervical mucous. During the first part of your cycle, you must examine this daily until you are sure you have ovulated. A few days prior to ovulation, normally cloudy, tacky mucous will change into clear and slippery. This indicates that you are at the mostfertile stage in your cycle.

Calendar Method: If your periods are consistent every month, then you may be able to predict ovulation using this simple method. Begin charting on a calendar your menstrual cycles. Keep in mind that the egg is released consistently between 14 and 16 days before the onset of menstruation.

Keeping track of your fertility is a good idea. Just remember that you ovulate prior to menstruating. This would account for those surprise pregnancies while breastfeeding that you're bound to hear about.

I cannot PM you to chat... but i would suggest you space your kids age out. Not easy to manage one baby let alone two.
happy.gif

Hi Mummies,

May i know since u all were still breastfeeding when u got pregnant, then is e menses date acurate on every mth?

If it is not acurate, then how would u know how many mths pregnant?

I told e gynae e start date of my last menses which i think i do remember quite clearly. Hence it should be 8wks when i go for my 1st appt yesterday. However, e size of e bb is only at 6wks.

I told e gynae that i m still breastfeeding my #1 but my menses have been quite regular for e past few mths, then she said that e bfing could have delayed my menses date n my bb should be only 6wks old.

She asked me to go back 3wks later for another checkup I m so worried now.

Anyone faced the same incident before? Hope u can share. Is it really like what e gynae said? It's e bfing that could have delayed my meneses?

Back