ANYONE SALVAGED A MARRIAGE AFTER HUSBAND COMMITS ADULTERY

Hi Angeline,

My heart goes out to you!!!! By losing your precious at 37 wks!!!??? How did you go thru it? I really can't bear imagining it.... U r a very strong woman! Yr hubby doesn't deserve you! No point pinning and hoping that he will return or repent.... There's someone out there that is worthy of your luv!

Hi Singlemom,

Be strong! Chances are, he will! I suggest you go look up legal advise/aid or ask me? No need to leave quitely. Do you know Y men still ask for forgiveness after adultery? Be'cos if their wives are to divorce them, they will be stripped to nothing??? HDB sell and split half n they still need to provide alimony to you and education fees to the kids.

May

How sad can it be but I truly and totally agrees wif u..

My HB cries his LUNGS out, begging for forgiveness when I discovered his flings (the 6th time).. But I know its only crocodile tears. Theres no sincerity in his eyes. But from my earlier postings, he dont agree to divorce cos he knows he cant afford to.. and which I vowed I would make him sooo broke that he cant lift his head high up again to face anyone anymore.

Cynthia, I did not turn up for counselling. That is to signal to my HB that I am NOT READY for a reconciliation.

Divorce is not in my cards right now, I just need own space and figuring out what I should do to make my 2 sons life more comfortable first. I did not want to hastily opt for divorce then end up with no back up plans. (Devil may care!)

Angeline, I am sorry to hear of your loss.. It must be very traumatic for you. Believe me, I know. Going for induced labour, pushing and everything. It was very difficult..

Singlemom

Sometimes we are too soft. We let our heart and feelings control us.. When we see them "repent" and "cry" and "promise" not to repeat same mistake and that they "still love" their family and to give them another chance, we believe them.

Just look at me.. SIX TIMES... But I did told him that I know he will do it again cos he knew that after all the pain he make me go through, he just ask for forgiveness and I will forgive him.

As long as we give in, they will never learn. Its difficult phase, but now that I ignore him totally and act as if he never existed, he started to be concern cos its just not my usual self anymore.

Sometimes the men just know our soft spot and expoilt on it! Please do be strong not only for yourself but for the little darlings!

Hi yatee,
this is the first chance and also the last chance for him. I do believe ppl make mistakes. So if there is 2nd times, that will be the end. No turning back. I already prepared for the worst. He loves our son very very much, he know he is going to lose him if 2nd mistake.
It is really painful to live with someone that hurt u so much and still have to bear with it, faced the naked truth. Women can live without a man, but not for man, they still need a woman.
Just like u, i am also preparing the backup plan, in case anything goes wrong. Life goes on, good luck to u!

Hi all,

About 2 or less months, my baby will be brought to this world.

I have decided to go through the divorce proceedings after my confirnment next year.

It's enough. I just saw another hotel bill..

Throughout our marriage, I had told him that I always wanted to spend our aniversaries and special holidays in some luxury hotel..he never once brought me..always will complain expensive..but now he brought her to a 5 star hotel!!

I am okie..the idea of single mum has already sank in..I think I will be happier that way..though I have no control in my situation (to have a wonderful marriage), I will try my best to give the best to my daughter.

Oprah wrote this about men...

To: My dearest girls: We've all been there... Something to think about.
For the boys: Some of it is applicable to you too!

HEAR WHAT OPRAH HAD TO SAY ABOUT MEN

If a man wants you, nothing can keep him away. If he doesn't want you, nothing can make him stay.

Stop making excuses for a man and his behaviour.

Allow your intuition (or spirit) to save you from heartache.

Stop trying to change yourself for a relationship that's not meant to be.

Never live your life for a man before you find what makes you truly happy.

If a relationship ends because the man was not treating you as you deserve then heck, don't settle.

If you feel like he is stringing you along, then he probably is.

Don't stay because you think it will get better. You'll be mad at yourself a year later for staying when things are not better. The only person you can control in a relationship is you.

Never let a man know everything. He will use it against you later.

You cannot change a man's behaviour. Change comes from within.

Don't EVER make him feel he is more important than you are...even if he has more education or in a better job.

Do not make him into a quasi-god. He is a man, nothing more nothing less.

Never let a man define who you are. Never borrow someone else's man.

If he cheated with you, he'll cheat on you. A man will only treat you the way you ALLOW him to treat you.

All men are NOT dogs. You should not be the one doing all the bending...compromise is two way street.

You need time to heal between relationships...there is nothing cute about baggage...

You should never look for someone to COMPLETE you...a relationship consists of two WHOLE individuals...look for someone complimentary... not supplementary.

Make him miss you sometimes... when a man always know where you are, and you're always readily available to him - he takes it for granted.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them and an entire lifetime to forget them.

Dear crossroad,
Do give it more thought as life being a single mother is not easy. (not trying to discourage you) But I hope the best for you anyway whatever your decision may be.

Thanks Yateee, nice reading there..it perks my day.

Nancy, thanks. Being a single mum is never easy. Had already experience a small part of it since I was 4 mths pregnant. From getting things ready for the baby, to going for routine checkup, I was all by myself. It's hard, emotionally, but it's not something that can't be done. I rather enjoy the special bond with my baby, than to go down on my knees to beg the heartless man again.

Of cos' there are more and more challenges ahead. I will be strong with my dear family, my dear friends and my wonderful daughter beside me.

hi crossroad..

when is ur edd? mine is also abt 2mths plus away and i am expecting a daughter as well.

draw strength from ur daughter. she is a wonderful gift. from the day i am preg, i told myself if anything ever happen again, i can forsake the marriage but never my child.

all the best to you and ur bb!

Hi crossroad,
since you have made up your mind, hope that all goes well for you. Take care. You know that we are here for you if you need a listening ear.

Hi Stella, my edd is in Mid Jan, what about yours?
happy.gif

Thanks Nancy.

Hi all,

I am still thinking whether I should go ahead and TTC after betrayal. I had my earlier counselling sessions as a couple.

My husband think baby will be a bond between us and make marriage better, I disagree and the counsellor also discourage a baby at this point of time.

The recent counselling session, I went alone because I am confused in the relationship. At this point of time, I still don't know if I want to go ahead and commit further into the relationship. I have polycyclic ovary, I am getting worried if I wait longer then my time is running out. So, I am being ask. If you want a baby, then you have to think

1) Do you want to go ahead with the relationship and want this man to be the father of your child
2) Or there is other man out there for you
3) Or go ahead and TTC and being prepared of the consequences should things did not work out, you can be a single mum.

Since I want the baby NOT for the reason of thinking a baby will keep my husband in the marriage or believe a baby will make marriage better. So, I have to really think properly before making a decision. This is because I don't want to regret later for bringing a baby in the world and let the child grow up in a broken family even though people around me has been telling me single mum is common in this world.

Hi Stella,
I would like to hear from people who has been through all this and moved on. I believe at one time you also have the doubt whether you want to TTC. I hope you can share with me how you come to the decision and what factor influenced your decision. I've PM you.

Hi Crossroad,
I have been asking counsellor how to build the courage to get myself prepared if one day I just have to say NO. Was told it just happen, maybe one morning you wake up or something that has happen make you say 'that's it'. I admire your courage. Be strong for yourself and your baby !

hi crossroad.

my edd is mid fe..one mth later than u

hi val

no prob..i will access to my email later during lunch hr. can understand ur situation cos it is so familar to wat i faced mths ago

For the benefit of all that has been betrayed and working on building trust in the relationship.

Rebuilding trust after deception and lying is achieved by complete honesty about the infidelity. Voluntarily sharing all unavoidable encounters with the affair partner is an essential trust builder. Discussing the story of the affair is crucial for understand the meaning of the infidelity. Whatever a man's reason for wandering, his very first step toward recovery has to be a sincere apology for the pain he caused-- with no excuses. Telling the truth is critically important. Broad generalities are better than lurid details that the betrayed partner will never be able to forget. For the betrayed partner they is a painful need to know every little trifle-- and hear it over and over and over. One of the first task for the betrayal is to let you ask any question you want about the affair. The betrayal need to be more emotionally supportive than he has been in the past. "Going back to normal behaviour isn't enough, because there has been an injury " He needs to be more affectionate and attentive". He also needs to recreate trust by acting trustworthy and being honest even know it subjects him to a level of scrutiny he isn't used to, like calling when he is going to be late. The husband might feel resentful, but he needs to look at it differently. He is not a child reporting to a supervisor, he's a husband who hurt his wife and is helping her heal."

Also learnt from counselling session that one can forgive but can never forget. This is because once a person is traumatized, then the person will be like a time bomb, every little thing that will trigger the trust issue, the betrayed partner will be retraumatized.

What is forgiveness ?

Forgiveness is not forgetting or pretending it didn't happen.

Forgiveness is not excusing or condoning the behaviour.

Forgiveness is not reconciliation.

Forgiveness is not giving permission to continue the behaviour.

Forgiveness is a gift you give to yourself. If you are able to free yourself from the anguish and burden of the past, you will move forward in your life journey with a lighter step.

Forgiveness is a choice. You choose not to be held hostage in the present to the injustices that occurred in the past.

Forgiveness is a process; forgiveness is letting go of obsessiveness, bitterness and resentment; forgiveness is letting go of the pain; forgiveness is letting go of revenge and need to punish.

So, for me I have been telling myself if this were to happen again, I will definitely walk away but I did not. Counsellor ask why am I still in the relationship, and I got to know the reason being I do not have the courage to walk out. It takes lots of courage to say No and it requires even more courage when he says he don't want it to end and not a mutual let's just separate.

I know I have not forgiven him because I am still revengeful. I am doing whatever I can to hurt him so that he knows how it felt being betrayed. Right now, I feel he wants me to be around because I make a decent wife and a good daughter in law.

According to an article I have got from the counsellor
-people compare and confuse the intensity of being 'in love' during an affair with the secure, comfortable feeling of reality-based "loving" that occurs in long term relationships
-The feeling of being "in love" is linked to Stage I idealization, passion and infatuation
-True love, which you grow into, is characterized by acceptance, understanding and compassion. That is why so few people end up marrying their affair partner and those who do have an extremely high probability of divorce.
-Once the affair is no longer the forbidden relationship that takes place in a golden bubble, the cold light of day soon bursts the romantic fantasies.

"You must understand that the affair wasn't about how much more desirable the other woman was tan you are, " acknowledges Shirley Glass, Ph.D a Baltimore psychologist who specializes in infidelity research. "It was about how much he liked who he got to be while he was doing it."

Your recrimination can't go on forever. "A woman may not want to heal because she'll lose the upper hand that his guilt gives her in the relationship, " She builds a memorial to her pain and ends up pushing him away. The inability of a wife to let go of the pain can even provoke another affair. At some point, you have to let it go."

You need to work at maintaining your confidence and self-esteem by drawing from sources (friendships, work) other than just your marriage.

As for me I have been telling myself if this were to happen again after the prostitutes case last year, I will definitely walk away but I did not. Counsellor ask why am I still in the relationship, and I got to know the reason being I do not have the courage to walk out. It takes lots of courage to say No and it requires even more courage when he says he don't want it to end and not a mutual let's just separate.

To give up now would be like buying high and selling low. Even if you're still not sure whether the marriage can be saved, you shouldn't make your decision based on the lowest point in you relationship. Being the best partner you know how to be will maximize the potential. Then, if there is still too great a gap between what you archive together and what you expect, you can leave with the knowledge than you have truly given it your best.

If you are reluctant to initiate caring with someone who has disappointed you so much, you can focus instead on giving to the relationship. Every time you do something good for your partner, you are doing something good for yourself by making the relationship the benefactor of your giving. Don't wait for your partner to make the first move.

I hope to be able to move on but if really things just doesn't work out. At least, I know that I have put my best to it. And to answer the question I put to the title of this thread...from therapist point of view, a baby won't help to make the relationship better. You must have a good solid relationship before you bring a baby to this world.

I have not really decide what is the path for me. I have been taking it day by day. It has been 2 months since our first counselling session and I have been having this mixed feeling in me. One day I want to be out and another day things are good and I want to have a baby and a family with him (which is also what he wanted).

So, I was posted these question :-
- How long do I think I can do that ?
- What would happen that would me stay or go ?
- What are the things that is happening that are good ? In what why he demonstate that he is commited for you ?

Right now, he is away for business trip, and I have time on my own to really think everything over. This time I went to see the counsellor on my own and telling her that I planned to buy a thermometer to track my BBT, she said in a way I have already put a commitment into the relationship but for now I am still asking if that is really what I wanted because I also asked her how to build the courage to say NO.

Was asked why I am still in the relationship from the very first session. I am NOT financially dependent on him. I could have walked away anytime if I can get rid of my emotional attachment to him. Why didn't I ? Maybe because he is the only man in my life and I have never experienced a break up before. Or it is because I love him so much that I feel I can't live without him. However, I still believe there is other man out there who can be more worth my love. But why I am still with this man ? Maybe the last time it happenned, it was not so serious but now he know how hurt I am and he promised he will never let me down again.

I have been encouraging myself to move on last year since the betrayal with prostitude by telling myself you should be glad that now this has happenned, you won't be experiencing the worst...that is an affair. And now, the worst has occurred. I blame him for 'staining' the supposedly the most wonderful year of my life with this betrayal. I still have doubt if he will really change but deep down in me I think I believe he will and I am giving him a final chance.

Hi Val, Thanks for sharing so much. The counsellor is right...the courage comes when it is time. When the courage comes, you will know it and everyday is lighter than the months of nightmares. I must also say that good friends and families play a big part in energising the courage.

Val, I fully understand your hurt, disappointment and all those feelings regarding the betrayal. If you have already settled in your heart to give him a final chance, then rebuild the marriage together and don't look back. It's just not healthy to look back on your decision again a few years down the road. It should be something out of your conviction that no matter what happen in the future, you will not regret on this decision.

Hi Crossroad,

I always believe in "Short term pain is better than long term suffering". That's why sometimes I tend to think why not get out of everything now rather than commit more because the more you commit, the more difficult things will be.

My husband has been convincing me by saying how would you know that this suffering is going to be long term...the healing may not take as long as I thought it will be. He promised that there will be lots of good days in front and that will bury all the unhappy ones. How true ? Time will tell.

I am the person who do my very best in whatever I do and I won't regret later on whatever circumstances it turned out to be because I know I have put my best into it.

However for now, I am still very undecided on the TTC question as there are many things that I have to consider. I hope I can get some enlightment soon... : )

As it turns out, most affairs end within six months of their seeing the light of day (being revealed to their family and friends), and almost all affairs end without leading to marriage. Even those few that end in marriage have only a 25% rate of success. That's because affairs are based on dishonesty and thoughtlessness for the feelings of others. That same dishonesty and thoughtlessness eventually turns on the lovers themselves, and the affair is destroyed by those same flaws that made it possible in the first place. What drives affairs is passion, not commitment, and once the passion wanes, there is nothing to help the lovers restore their passion. Marriage, on the other hand, especially with children, has many factors that motivate couples to restore their passion for each other after passion has waned. So when passion is gone from an affair, a wayward spouse is usually motivated to return to the betrayed spouse by all of these other factors. For most, it's a logical choice.

hi val

sorry i was not able to reply ur email cos i worked late yesterday..and not to convienient to type in office cos i am coaching one new staff.

will go home reply, at home more condusive to pen down my tots.

btw the articles u put here are great!

have a nice day

Hi ladies, my heart reaches out to all of u. It's a painful experience but it isn't end of the world. It's pointless to hold on to a relationship when the faith, trust and confidence u have in someone is fading. At the end of the day, tears and heartaches are not gonna bring the man back; in fact it'll probably make u feel worse. When life knocks u down, u have 2 choices: stand up, or stay down.

<font color="0000ff">Many a man claims to have unfailing love, but a faithful man who can find?</font>

Hi yatee,

Sometime I felt guys do offer empty promises. Like we went for couselling session once, THEN he do not wan to turn up anymore. He say e counsellor is jus nothing. Ask so much BUT yet is not a rich experience at all. I mention to him this is a long term thing. It all depends on him wat he wan.

Now though he try to be nice to mi at time BUT it will be v hard for us to forgive n forget so fast. Sometime jus wanna run away from home &amp; hide some where to have peace! BUT whenever wat we do, we think of our bb.. or even unborn.

Ladies,
Now it could be hard for us. BUT i felt we need support. I myself wont rule out divorce if things is not happpi or not even turning out good at all. Sometime y do we realli have to leave in unhappiness EVEN we are putting an effort n try ways?

BUT sometime we do need to think of our kids. In dilemma right? This is wat we all r facing &amp; keep asking how firm we can be? That is y realli fine a chance, sit n talk to hb WAT DO THEY REALLI ONE? IF the answer is a wife n a lover, GET OUT OF HIM.

1 qns the counsellor asked us.
WHAT MAKES U MARRY HER?

It strikes his mind n he kept quiet..

Do try to ask ur hbs... i believe they also strike their minds.. cos in them, they jus wan companionship..

EMOTIONAL NEEDS AND BUILDING RELATIONSHIP

Why he take you as his wife ? Because you meet most of his important emotional needs while the lovers only meet those emotional needs that you don't meet. So, you gotta find out what are his important emotional needs and you want to give more of those if you decided to build the relationship. For those missing needs that he found in the lover, it might be what the wife does not have, however you can try to give those missing need but if it is talent, then you will have no choice. Eg. if you can't sing, you can't sing..so there is no use to even try. It is better to concentrate to give more on those that you have and can give that is those thing he like about you. After all, those unmet need that he found is the lover might not be as important as other emotional needs that he finds in you.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3300_needs.html

Due to usually wife meet 90% and lover meet the missing 10%, that's why some man choose to be selfish and they want the best of both world so that they can have 100% of their emotional needs fulfilled.

------------------------------

For those who has been betrayed, you don't want to wake up everyday feeling stress, angry, stress etc because we just can't handle living like that for too long. It is just a mental torture. We should live life to the fullest.

One challenging question, if he is the way he is now for the next 50 years, do you think you can handle that ? It is more to what you can withstand and what you can take here.

Think about what makes you marry him ? Do you think that he have changed ?

Also, you might believe there is someone out there who is more worth your love but how can you be sure you will find that someone who is better and not worse than him. My counselor give me an example, a woman come to her because her husband abused her. She wanted out. Later she moved on and counsellor ask her how is your boyfriend, she said he beats her also....Opsss...

husbands do take their wives for granted.

i am putting up with his nonsense.. yet he does not know it.

i guess it does make a difference that we are the wives. but i do wonder, if being the wife is like this, i should have chosen to be the slut. at least i get what i want.

Top Reasons Men Have Affairs

-Sexual experimentation (he married so young, he wonders what he missed) or sexual compulsivity.

-To combat a sense of loss that can come with aging : "Loss of youth, loss as the kids go off to college, loss of a parent." "A husband reaching out to another woman is making a futile attempt at creating an antidepressent."

-To avoid intimacy or conflict : Rather than rock the marriage by revealing feelings he thinks you may not like, your husband adds a third person to diffuse the intensity. Suprisingly, these affairs are survivable even if they've lasted a while.

Hi Val:

I chanced upon this thread and find it very interesting to surface in a motherhood forum. You seem to have found several solutions to your problem after reading the website you recommended. What's the status so far in your marriage? Have u reconciled with hb?

I'd like to know more about the psyche of the wayward man. Recently, a co-worker is obsessed with me, even though I'm married and he is a divorce currently cohabiting with a woman for 4 years. I do not know why this guy is so nuts about me even though I'm married and in my early 30's, while his gf is in her 20's.

However, that gf of his is a control freak and imposes a curfew on him, as in he must come home by 10 nightly, and he must sneak into his study room to email me while she sleeps. He must hang up his phone when he reaches home when she is around. He follows her strict diet and exercise regimen. A guy who is so attuned to another woman's house rules and living habits can still fall in love with another man's wife?!

I don't want to encourage him to do that but he misses me a great deal and would stay up late till 2.30am in order to meet me on MSN, and rush outside to an internet cafe to video conference with me at night. When he went on biz trip, he would spend his free time at the Business Centre emailing me and hoping to meet me on MSN.

I really appreciate his sincerity and I'd be a liar to say I'm not softened by his relentless efforts. He even went to Bangkok and prayed to 4-face Buddha that he wishes that we'd be together forever!

Anyway,I asked him why he likes me so much. He has no real answers. He just told me he likes my smile and eyes, my independence, my elegance, and all those superficial BS. I just think he finds it a challenge to woo a married woman. You think so, Val?

Also, he talks to me about work and gossips about our mutual friends and colleagues. His gf doesn't know any of his co-workers. He doesn't bring her to any company functions.

The thing is, he doesn't feel jealous that I talk about my hb all the time. This tells me he doesn't mind I'm married.

Something bugs me lately. He normally doesn't want to talk about his gf when I probed. I used to get angry that he dug out so much about my hb and yet didn't want to talk about his gf.

However, this changed recently when he started to tell me more about this other woman in his life. I don't know why he is starting to tell me more about her, like she'd do housework, he'd bring her to golf resort for spas together, which university she attended, what business she is working for, how they met, whether they had sex, etc.

Val, why is he sharing more about her with me now? Is he acknowledging her now? Is he hinting to me that he has a happy relationship?

Btw, this guy is rich and senior in the company. His gf works from home. Then again, my hb is also senior and reasonably well-to-do. Maybe that's why he finds it a challenge to wrestle me from his so called competitor? LOL

Hi Danielle,

I am still surviving the affair. We know it is not going to be fixed fast and it requires commitment from both my husband and I to make our marriage better and we gotta accept that it is going to take a long time. Patience is more than a virtue. It is a prerequisite for the healing journey.

As for you, you seem to have developed an emotional relationship with your co-worker, think about how easy it is to idealize a relationship when it's not based on real life. Because you didn't live with him, you never lived with the day-to-day grind of real-life issues like the case with your husband. The very qualities in him that you found so attractive could very well have driven you nuts after a while. The way he made time for you by deceiving his gf could be haunting you later. Are you considering to further indulge yourself in this emotional relationship ? A man with a history of infidelity is not the best candidate. After all, I remember you did mention that he is a divorcee and you are married.

How about I say some people preferred married woman because they are more rich in relationship experience compare to single ladies? And I also agree with you that it is their ego that they want to win what belong to another man. Seems like he fall under the third category of why man have affairs. He is trying to avoid conflict with his gf and you are diffusing the intensity. Also you met those some of his unmet emotional need in his relationship.

Actually you should see the girlfriend in more sympathetic light in order to move on. His partner is rarely as bad as you may have painted her. To get on with your life, you need to develop some understanding and empathy for the woman. When you see the partner as a human being whose actions and feelings have validity, then you can remove your own blinders and carry your sharpened vision and newfound empathy into your marriage.

Try reading this link :-

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5037_qa.html

What you are experiencing now is emotional betrayal. Emotional affairs are characterized by secrecy, emotional intimacy and sexual chemistry. Emotional affairs can be more threatening than brief sexual flings. You are married and yet your heart seems to have another man in it. Have you ever wondered why? You should be asking about why is your husband behaving in certain way rather than asking about the psyche of this other man. You have to think what are your emotional needs that this other man fulfilled but missing from your marriage relationship with your husband. Communication is vital.

Hi ladies,

I have been browsing a bit and here are some good articles I would like to share :-

Healing from Infidelity
http://www.divorcenet.com/states/nationwide/healing_from_infidelity

After an Affair: How Marital Therapy Heals the Wounds
http://www.emaxhealth.com/26/3114.html

Before The Affair or After The Affair
http://taconicnet.com/affair.htm

Picking Up the Pieces: Recovering From An Affair
http://www.flc.org/hfl/marriage/mar-flm04.htm

and you might also find some other articles you might be interested in
http://www.divorcenet.com/states/nationwide/
http://taconicnet.com/#articles
http://www.flc.org/hfl/marriage/

Happy reading !

Hi Val

Thank you for the PM.

I am actually looking for a counsellor for my friend who is facing marital problems.

As for me, i'm surviving the affair too. I living each day as it goes. Hope to see you on messenger sometime.

Val:

I must say you're really an expert in giving advice and I've benefitted a lot from your posting. You're right. I've developed an emotional relationship with my co-worker and the correct emotion is 'feeling flattered'. I know it's not a practical kind of relationship from the outset. Rationally speaking, I do not think I'll want to encourage that, but he has been very persistent. His gf is out of town yesterday and he logged on yesterday to chat with me again. My hb is currently overseas too. We talked till 1.30am... I can't deny that we enjoy talking to each other.

You're very right. I will not be able to tahan his idiosyncrasies and lifestyle if I EVER get to cohabit with him, as his current gf can. But it's irrelevant now because neither of us intend to leave our other halves to stay with each other. No way.

He does think I'm more attractive than his gf, more 'educated', more 'career', more well-travelled, more fashionable, more 'westernised' etc. I can list down all the qualities that he likes about me. They are mostly superficial.

Anyway, I've no intention to compete with his gf cos I'm married and want to have a baby with my hb. I'm just temporarily feeling flattered that another guy is THAT interested in me. I spoke to him last night about his gf's 'houserules' and asked him why he is scared of her. After all, she has already discovered all the love emails he sent me as he forgot to logout one time at home. She stumbled upon the lovey dovey exchanges and came to talk to me on MSN once to find out what I wanted from her man. I assured her I mean no harm. We're just friends.

Val, you might be right. She is not as bad as I thought she was. He told me it's hard to leave her becos she always seems like a 'damsel in distress', very vulnerable and fragile. So my co-worker doesn't bear to hurt her, that explains why he is always hiding away from home and sneaking out to call or email me to avoid confrontation.

"Emotional affairs can be more threatening than brief sexual flings." I agree with u totally. When one is spritually in sync with another man, it's worse than physical betrayal. The bonding is very powerful because u keep thinking about another man when you're actually sleeping next to your spouse.

I'm fighting against temptation. Wish me luck!

Val: you're a rational and strong woman. I'm sure you'll overcome your problems after attending all the counselling sessions.

Hi Val,

I believe that patience is everything now. Occassionally we do pin some hopes in our man. Not an easy thing learing to forgive &amp; forget esp for men who done it repeative jus like mine.

Though he gave up going to counselling &amp; wanting to stick to his own ways of doing if could improve our relationship BT everyday we r facing each other pretentious face jus sake of our bb gal.

We just gotta overcome &amp; be strong in our thoughts &amp; sleeping beside the man whom make me live in fear sucks!

I am now living in fear day by day... BUT waiting patiently if things improve. Personally I can say that my little gal is the strength for me. I live for her! BUT there's a say, WE MUST LIVE FOR OURSELVES TOO!

Everyday is a learning phrase.. everyday could be depressive. I believe women can be stronger than man in overcoming &amp; we are so independant..

I really wonder, what man really wants! A wife at home waiting patiently at home &amp; just open her leg anytime for him, do hsework, looking after kids &amp; parents in law &amp; even work hard bringing bucks back home?

Sometime I really wonder we are really SUPER WOMEN!

Hi Danille,

Based on those material that I've got from my counsellor, you are feeling flatterred because affair give the feeling of being "in love" which is linked to Stage I idealization, passion and infatuation.

If you are serious about reestablishing safety in your marriage and send a clear signal to your affair partner, then you must become a polite but distant stranger to him. Going out together for coffee, swapping stories about your relationship and trading office goosip are invitations. Telephone strictly for business purposes and if the other person steers conversation into personal waters, say 'I'm sorry but I don't want to discuss that."

Get your husband to fulfill your missing conversation need which you are currently getting from this other man. Concentrate on TTC and always remember a baby is made out of love.

Hi Cynthia,

I also have the fear that I will be 'trapped' in such situation whereby staying for the benefit of the child, that's why I have been thinking on the TTC question and finding it so hard to make a decision.

In fact, I sometime wonder if he want me to stay because of the package that comes along with the marriage. The fact that I make a good wife and a good daughter in law as well as going to be good mother when there is a child. So, I keep questioning if it is really love or he just follow the rule of the society that is get married and have children while his mind is not even ready to settle down.

Many woman can take it as long as the husband give food and shelter, be a good husband and a good father to the child, they are alright even though their husband fool around outside as long as they know where is home. For me, I can't take that. That is my greatest fear. So, I have been telling myself, should one day I realized that is how things are...then I will call off the marriage. Again, I can say now but when the time really come, will I do as what I think now ? The decision you make today is not necessary something that you will definitely do tomorrow.

But I seriously think we can't use the little ones for the reason to stay. Divorce and single mum is so common in this world now. I always believe that it is always better to have short term pain than long term suffering. So, we have to move on with our lives and live life to the fullest !

Remember the song SUPER WOMAN? I am not your super woman. I am not that kind of gal that you can let down and think that everything's ok. Boy, I am only human !

Hi Cynthia:

Regarding your question "I really wonder, what man really wants! A wife at home waiting patiently at home &amp; just open her leg anytime for him, do hsework, looking after kids &amp; parents in law &amp; even work hard bringing bucks back home?"

Val has answer for you "affair give the feeling of being "in love" which is linked to Stage I idealization, passion and infatuation."

According to my co-worker, he thinks his current relationship is mundane and same-old same-old. He has sex twice a week with gf who just spreads her legs open. She doesn't cook for him as he has a part-time maid. She only helps out on a little housework. They don't date normally like going for movies or frequent holidays because cohabitation causes their relationship to feel like a stale marriage. He mentioned that he enjoys the feeling of being in love, and the first time he saw me, he thought I was attractice. He couldn't stop praising me in office. That is, "idealization" I suppose.

Yes, I feel great being in love all over again. I'm in my 30's and haven't felt so good since my school days. It's hard to explain but it's like a woman reborn.

I know "always remember a baby is made out of love." and am trying to stop thinking about that guy's infatuation with me...

Hi Ladies,

I'm not facing infidelity issues with my hub.
But i'm facing his gambling issues and his lies.

I have moved out of our house 2 weeks already and he is asking me to go home almost everyday.

I have a 8-mth old son and I'm 4 months pregnant..At a total lost of what to do.

His gambling started all the way from our courtship. I thought he will change for us which he has promised but he never.

He has been gambling non-stop till recently lied that he did not get his salary for 2 mths.

His actions are so "true", he chit chats that the company doing poorly and that can't afford to pay staff. He critised ppl who do not work yet continues to smoke and drinks.

He leaves me alone at home while he goes drinking, even when I'm pregant. He has lost up to $100k...

It took a lot of courage for me to move back to my parents place. He has agreed to contact banks to debt relief programs and arranged counseling on weekends.

i dunno how to work to salvage the marriage. Even now, I still meet him to visit my son who is at the in-laws place. But we quarrelled each time we see each other.

Today, he stood me up for lunch..didn't bother to even sms me. Its not the first time I have to wait for him. He gives me cheap presents yet he has the $$ to gamble.

I'm just so tired of his bullshit..

Hi Ray,

Pls try to get ur hb to go for DEBT COUNSELLING. Try Credit Counselling.

Finiancial stress can lead to alot problems which may arise like marriage etc...

Don give up if u still love him... It may take times to change his ways. BT we can never change someone BUT help them to get improve...

Hi Val &amp; Danielle,

Sometime was wondering how to make myself feel loved. BY whoever... Have any of you tot of getting involve with other guys when discover HB is doing it?

This come across my mind. Wanted so much to let someone love n dote mi again. BUT again look at myself lowly. How can I ever get that.. wit such a figure such a face? Is there really any true love or even infatuation from someone OR to someone?

How to make life more meaningful? I having all the question marks with me. Currently reading this book "Chicken Soup for the Soul - Life Lesson for Women". In the midst of reading those stories by other women. Interesting i can say. Hope to learn something n move on.

This book can be purchase at Popular. Im not sure about other bookstore BUT frankly its worth to get one.

Hi Cynthia,

You are not alone. I have been dreaming that I was being another different guys that I used to admire in the past since I knew of my husband's betrayal. However, I have guilty feeling every time I woke up. So, I have always remind myself not to be revengeful otherwise I know I will definitely regret my action if I really betray him either emotionally or physically one day.

However, we have to know our self worth. It is normal to have low self esteem after all these things that have happenned. You have to build up your confidence again.

I have been asking my counsellor if it is fair I mixed around with guys and was told that it is ok to do that and as you go on, you might feel that there is someone interested, then you might want to give it a try. However, you have to be responsible with your actions. If you can live with your actions, then it is ok.

But always remember to be sure that your actions is not out of revenge coz that is changing who you are.

I strongly feel there is no point staying in a marriage if one have left emotionally. If we really want to salvage the marriage, then focus on making the marriage better by working on fulfilling each other's emotional needs.

The book you mentioned sounds interesting. Maybe you can share with us here what you have learnt after finishing the book.

Hi Val,

I m in the midst of reading... recently too busy n tied up wit my little gal who is sick!
ALso a big issue with my in laws.. haiz..

While I was reading the book in first few chapter, it makes mi discover myself IM not lonely. There is other people out there having more problems than mi. Makes mi discover myself more n love myself more... Hoping to find more time to finish up the book man.

Recently make hb to take up some hobby, like swimming. Though he doesnt know how to swim but well I teach him n can see that he also trying to make an effort to keep this marriage work n feel loved with him again. Though TIME is needed &amp; For my little gal sake I do hope this will goes on n not temporary only.

For a new year start,
I pray for everyone staying happier than 2006, less stress, more relax than ever!

Hapi 2007!!!!

Hi ALL!

i need advice urgently! 3mth ago, i caught my husband red-handed in bed with another women. so i went to look for a lawyer for a divorce.

Last wk, the lawyer told me that he actually knows my husband!! and my court hearing is next wk! i asked him if he wants to continue my case and said he knows what hes doing. i tried to discuss with him my case last wk but he say he busy, and the reason is- he need to pick up his suit! and the whole week he has no time for me!

initially i told the lawyer i want full custody of my child. today when i call him, he told me to gv my husband joint custody. somemore say to give him flexible timing to visit my child and put my husband name in childcare list (those who can pick up the child)!

when i ask him about division of the matrimony flat, he told me not to fight for it and tell me to gv me husband 80% of the flat!

i am very lost now,what should i do?? any recommendation of lawyers i can check on this? pls help!

Oh mine! Shermaine,I am not good in words but guess this so-called lawyer is trying to help your husband instead of you cause he knows ur husband!Or Your husband may have engage him to fight for it also

Please do not give in to this lawyer's advise because you will regret if you have done so.

I would advise you to look for another lawyer to fight for the rights.

I got this lawyer whom I have engaged before, maybe you want to check with him.

Please be brave and strong for yourself as well as for your kid. Try to have a clear mindset so that you can make a better decision on how you want to deal with this.

Take care with lots of hugz

Hi Shermaine,

A family member of mine went thru a divorce a year ago, and I found her divorce lawyer fair and very objective, no nonsense type. The charges were very reasonable too. Uncontested divorce came up to less than S$2K only.

Her name is Ms Loh and her contact is:
http://www.law.com.sg/address.htm

I believe she specialises in divorce cases. You may want to consider her too.

I agree with Sherry that your current lawyer may not be very objective in dealing with your case, as he knows your husband...

Back