Any SAHM staying at Yishun?

Welcome EOng, Cher!

Small Bell,
the other day u ask if my boy prefer BM or FM. In the past he doesn't, but this morning he fussed and cried when I tried to feed him with pure EBM, even though it's already 7hr since his last nite feed. But hoh, once I added in 1 scoop of FM, he gobbled the whole 180ml w/o anymore fussing. Aiyo, think he may be developing a preference for FM. Is FM sweeter than BM?

Good Morning All,

Welcome Cher & EOng. EOng your little girl so pretty!!

Aiyah, did not go Kidzloft, as forgot to bring breast pump so had to rush home at lunch to express. Maybe try to go Thursday...I also want to get safety 1st items.

Small Bell & Sincere, agree with lachesiz about good first foods. I only started when my son was 6 months...and it's so fun to watch him enjoying what I prepare.

Have you seen books by Annabel Karmel, she teaches how to make good first foods and I also found this local book useful : Feed your Child Right : 1st Nutrition Guide for Asian Parents by Lynn Alexander and Yeong Boon Yee (Times Edition) - it's written in S'pore so the suggestions are relevant to us.

You may also want to consider using organic vegies and fruits (as read and heard that its less allergy causing for first time weaning). I know of 2 organic produce shops in Yishun...got baby food range as well.

Mummies with older babies, any tips for travelling overseas by plane?? Taking my son for a long plane ride....(10 hours!!!)

Hi ixwong
Why don't u choose other destination like beach resort cause I think the baby will enjoy more. I have brought my girl to HK when she's 14mth & she doesn't enjoy it cause she's have yet to reach the stage of enjoy shopping just mummy...
As for Japan & Perth they'r still to young to enjoy the Disney & mother nature. I brought my girl to few beach resort since she was 6mth, think baby prefer water & sand more...

Char77
Travelling with baby by plane seem like the same as car, my experience is if yr baby sleep most of the time in a car, she's most be the same as in plane (motion sound put baby to sleep). My max plane rider is only 4 (HK) & she's sleep 75% of the time. the rest of the trips are short one to beach resort (1 - 2hr max).

ix,
Some babies are just very smart, yours must have a sharp sense of taste. My friend's bb can even tell the difference between frozen EBM and normal refrigerated EBM.

Char77,
Can advise where is the location of the 2 organic shops in Yishun. Thanks.

ix, thanks for link - very useful
happy.gif

EOng, agree that they sleep most of the time (that's what my son did when we went to Langkawi when he was 3.5 months)..but now going to NZ, hope he will sleep most of the 10 hours. Better prepare toys, books, food...(wish me luck!!)

341643.jpg
Enjoying Langkawi

SmallBell, the 2 shops i frequent...one at Chong Pang Wet Market (beside the stalls that sell pork) and the other at Blk 921, Yishun Central 1 (beside bak-kwa shop). Look for their Healthy Times Baby food range and Unpolished Rice Powder for babies.

Hello mons,

I stay in Sembawang but goes to mil's house at yishun everyday as she is babysitting my boy. My boy is 16 months now.

Char77,
I visit the same organic stall at chong pang too
happy.gif

sincere and ixwong,
My son also goes to Ooi Clinic. Haha...Yishun is so small, so limited option.

hi all,
Just to find out...any good playgroup at Yishun. My in-laws' place is near Khatik mrt station.

char77,
tks for the info.

Hi augustmum,
Welcome to join us.
1)ixwong, 3month, boy
2)smallbell, 3month, boy
3)sincere, 3.5month, girl
4)twinkle22, 4month, boy
5)yippy, 5month, boy
6)char77, 7month, boy
7)lachesiz, 11month, girl
8)ecin, 3year, boy
9)mummy69
10)faith, 9month, girl
11)cher, 17month, girl
12)EOng, 18month, girl
13)augustmum, 16month, boy

Lachesiz,
Have u started wz the flash cards yet? I have put down my name for the 2nd batch of bulk order GD. Hope to get it soon.

Welcome augustmum, have to "look out" for you at the organic shop
happy.gif

It's funny..as have been staying at Yishun / Sembawang on and off since 1998 but it's only last year that I "discovered" Chong Pang after having to walk around while waiting for my obgyn appointment there. Love it's fruit shops, branded baby clothes shop and now CK - cheap baby toiletries.

Small Bell : Ur welcome. You order the flash cards from 2ash issit? I was also thinking of doing it...but worried that the cards may come when I am overseas...would u mind helping me collect first?

Welcome augustmum.

Char77,
huh. Chong Pang got branded baby clothes shop meh? Where??

I got the flash cards from 2ash from the 1st bulk purchase, but haven't started using yet. *lazy mummy*

char77,
No problem, will help u collect it. Go ahead and order. I can also help other mommies to collect. Anyone else buying?

I didn't think of buying initially until I ask Lachesiz about it. She bought from the previous bulk order. It's worth it for the number of cards in the set. Now I am also looking out for any bulk order of protective sheet. But still searching.

EOng and augustmum,
Back to question on playgroup, the nearest is Baby Jumper at Orchid Country Club. Perhaps we can organize our own playgroup in future since we have many mommies now.

Valerie,
Welcome! Will your bb be boy or girl? R u well prepared for the big delivery day?
1)ixwong, 3month, boy
2)smallbell, 3month, boy
4)twinkle22, 4month, boy
5)yippy, 5month, boy
6)char77, 7month, boy
8)ecin, 3year, boy
9)mummy69
10)faith, 9month, girl
11)cher, 17month, girl
12)EOng, 18month, girl
14)valerie, MTB Jan 2006

Welcome Valerie...when's your EDD?

Hey Small Bell, the play group idea sounds great..what do other mummies think?

Thanks for agreeing to collect the cards...will order. They have not said how much yet right? Maybe have to t/f $$ to you first in case they ask for payment when I am away.

Ix: Yes...they sell overruns of oshkosh, pumpkin patch but mostly V-Baby from USA. U know where CK Dept store is? It's 2 stores away (beside bakery). I also just found out the Tom & Stephanie at NorthPt sell Carters, Elle, OshKosh etc..never go before...'cos its "deeep in".

char77,
it's ok, don't worry. When they confirm the amount, I will pay for u first. Which are the dates u will be away?

hi Small Bell and Char77, mine should be a girl but everyone thinks it's a boy cos my tummy is pointed!
kao_confused.gif
my EDD is 19 Jan...

I'm more or less prepared but still wondering which diaper brand in S size to buy for day use... any cheap but good recommendation? I'm considering Softlove, NTUC and Pet Pet but seems like the first 2 don't come in S size.

By the way, there is a CK store at Khatib too... Just happen to go there and check out its stuff this evening... its prices are even cheaper than NTUC...

Valerie
Congrats and welcome. All set already? I used Petpet for my boy since his birth. U can find the S size at Giant (Khatib MRT) and Cold Storage (Northpt). Giant is cheaper.

Char77,
Thanks. Will check the store out.

Small Bell,
U will need to bring helper when collecting the flash cards hoh. They weigh 22kg per set.....

The playgroup idea sounds good to me too.

hello mommies,

is it worthwhile to get the flashcard fr 2ash? i withdrawed from the 1st bulk purchase coz' i felt i might be lazy to do all the flashing to bb. Working everyday very tiring leh and this lazy mummy... sigh... hehehe...

lachesiz, care to share how did u find time for your flashcard session wif yr girl? wanna hear more, might be ordering for this round of batch purchase.

small bell, managed to get a ripe avocado fr market place yesterday. it is purple in color and a bit soft when u press on it.

i would like to ask mummies whose babies are on solid... do u replace the solid wif milk or still gotta feed milk as usual after solid feeding? any mummy feeding yr darling wif banana? which type of banana should i give? i am planning to give solid to my girl who is turning 4 mths next week. ;) hope to hear more from mummies out there.

valerie,
now we have one more girl to add to the list.
1)ixwong, 3month, boy
2)smallbell, 3month, boy
4)twinkle22, 4month, boy
5)yippy, 5month, boy
6)char77, 7month, boy
8)ecin, 3year, boy
9)mummy69
10)faith, 9month, girl
11)cher, 17month, girl
12)EOng, 18month, girl
14)valerie, MTB Jan 2006, girl

ix,
oh thks for reminding. Did u get any protective sheets for your cards or the Toyogo storage box?

All Mommies,
Let's hear from your suggestion and see if we can arrange our 1st gathering. When is a good time to arrange for playgroups (weekdays is out as some working)? prefer to meet at shopping center (northpoint), swimming pool or someone's house?

sincere,
After work u can flash 5-10mins, then spend more time flashing on weekends.

Good Morning All,

Valerie: Aiyoh I think its hard to tell from tummy shape, as alot of ppl thot I got a girl but mine was a boy...

Re: Pampers, i regretted getting Fitti's NB as too "bulky", loved pampers premium NB and petpet & drypers small. Suggest get something cheap and good, as they change ALOT in the first few weeks...

SmallBell - THANK YOU!!! I have pm u my contact nos etc.

Sincere, my experience in weaning...first must see "signs" in baby that they are ready for weaning...i delayed till my son was 1 week short of 6 mths as he is TBF. As milk still plays the main bulk of nutrition until 1 year old, so solids must be follwed with milk. Initially my son took only 1-2 teaspoons of rice cereal, pear, apple, avocado, sweet potato etc..then I top up with milk.

Now he's appetite larger...he gets 3 meals..b'fast (1/4 bowl), lunch (1bowl) and dinner (1bowl), but I give milk either before or after the solid (but less amount...)...so far so good....

Check out this website: www.wholesomebabyfood.com or the books i mentioned in earlier posts...they have been great help to me. You want to borrow mine..let me know
happy.gif

Small Bell
didn't get the protective sheet but thinking of the storage box....the cards are currently on the floor. hee hee.

Char77
Since u were TBF, u feed rice cereal on their own and didn't mix it into bb milk right?

Ix, yup did not mix cereal into milk. Just added EBM to the cereal before he eat and to make him accept a more "familiar" taste. If you are keen on rice cereal and don't mind some hassle, you can make your own. Buy brown rice, "toast" or sun and grind. Very yummy!!!!!!!! Can also add millet for more protein

Hi mummies,
Another way to save on toys for yr kid is to buy 2nd-hand toy from yahoo auction or ebay. I have bought a few little tikes toys/bed for my daughter from yahoo as little tikes things are quite durable & have resale value when u kids outgrown it.

I'm all go for our 1st gathering, as for the venue, would like to vote for swimming pool or someone's house.

Char77,
For homemade rice cereal, must we wash the brown rice? Can use oven to bake the brown rice or not? bake/toast for how long huh?

Re gathering
Love to attend. swimming pool? have not brought my son swimming yet cos recently weather too cooling....

seems like there are more boy-girl balance to the list now! When my neighbour comes back from Sydney this Friday, i'll ask her to join in too. She has a 8mths old baby girl.

Ix and char77, Thanks for the advice on the diaper brands!

Hey mommies,

Those who are in Khatib area...the medical hall next to CK sells cheap diapers & milk powder

char77,
Have also PM u my hp no.

EOng,
You are right, can save alot. I have also bought from yahoo before but only the smaller items that can be sent by post.

I only know of the swimming pool at Khatib, any pool in Yishun? When is a good time to meet up?

EOng
I also frequent yahoo auctions/marketplace v often. Bought my pigeon sterilise at $30 and PIS traveller at $200. cheap cheap!!

Small Bell
The other possible swimming pool is YISHUN SAFRA.

weaning bb onto solids,
annable karmel books are widely popular n the photos are so tempting.
Personally, I swear by Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. its very wordy, unlike karmel, but tells u the food to intro bb month by month till toddlerhood.
it also explain proper nutrition n balance meal for bb.. fuss free.
its a 'feeding bb solid bible' for me as i am a cooking idiot. check out this website for bks.
http://www.wonderbox.com.sg/health_&_nutrition.htm

char77,
firstly, ur boy so happpy... got more pics?
u are so resourceful! must ask u to be our yishun tour guide... hehe
i started my gal on organic food but now only on organic grain n some other nutritional stuff.
bot them mostly from BRP. heatlthy times n earth best are two popular organic bb cereal.

sincere,
my experience:
when u first start solid, its more for taste n getting bb use to it. so the solid shd not replace the milk. n the consistency of the solid shd be watery..(just a tad bit thicker than milk). after the solid, feed ur bb her usual milkfeed.
when i first started, i added BM to the cereal . u can add FM too.. but note that BM tends to make the cereal more watery as BM breaks down the carbo more effectively.
then slowly thicken the consistency as the time goes.
banana: dun get the delmonte kind. get those small ones that usually find at fruits stall.
dun intro more than one new food at a time.
start with rice cereal first, multi grain like brown rice, millet, best leave till 8m or later as they are not as easily digestible.
dun forget the 4day wait rule .
actually, can wait till bb is older to start solid as FM/BM provides all their basic nutrition. n sumtimes the later u start, the less prone to allergy.

sorry long post.

augustmum , valarie

kao_welcome2.gif

do drop by more often to share...

valarie,
a new addition on the way...so excited for you..
pampers premium NB is popular amg mummies.
have u heard of NEPIA?? very soft n absorbency is as good as pampers premium. price cheaper too!
at nite n for gai gai, my gal alternates between pampers premium, mamy poko n nepia but nepia remains my fav. other than that she is on cloth diaper 'full time' since day 1
can consider cloth diaper, coz its 'better' for bb buttocks n easier on pockets.
happy.gif

Wow....this thread moves so fast...

Hi char77,

Can tell me more about the branded clothes shop. The CK you mentioned is at Chong Pang is it?

You got me excited. Going Chong Pang tomorrow morning liao.

char77,
seems like u are abit of a 'shopoholic' hehe..
next time go shopping, can chio me?? i go mad over bb clothes
happy.gif

thanks for the useful info.. will def check out those places. will go explore chongpang one of these days.

Flashcards.
I reorganise the cards into categories. those longer words, i keep them in cupboard first. (no joke finding a container for them!! 22kg!) n the cards i want to do for the day will be within easy access.
currently, i am doing the words/categories she is more familiar with.
she loves flashcards n always ask for more if i stop.
happy.gif
esp the maths ones.
but sometimes she gets distracted n will crawl away. so will place her in highchair if need to.
for younger bb n noncrawlers, its easier to capture bb attention.
as i am a FTWM, so will flash to her b4 work n several times after i come home. in my absence, my competent maid will do it.
i have not finish reading the GD book so my methods are modified version of GD. and i dunno how to see or tell the effects of the cards on bb. but since she enjoys them, do lor.
i am also a butt lazy mummy so will try my best. tats why i find if i place the flashcards of the day within very easy access, i will be more motivated to do it. but dunno when will i lose steam.
n sometimes my gal will 'remind' me ..hehe

gathering / playgroup.
YES YES!!
i m more for mummies' houses or malls rather than swimming pool.(esp weather erratic n so many small bb here who have not had their maiden swim)
a gathering to get to know each other is great at this moment as this thread is new. i wd personally love to meet Yishun mummies.
playgroup can be a follow up but it will have to cater to the diverse age group.
any mummies can 'open' their hse or anyone can bk a function rm? i dun mind 'opening' my hse but its ur typical hdb flat so cant accomodate too many mummies n bb.
if any mummies wd like to meet me in smaller groups, pls pm me your contact n we can meet for ah kun kopi?? ( i am a great fan
happy.gif
)

mummies, can we expand our list by adding the birth month n year of our darling so that we can track their age better?

let me make a guess, ok? do amend as nec as i fail my maths...

1)ixwong, aug 2005, 3month, boy
2)smallbell, aug 2005, 3month, boy
3)sincere, aug 2005, 3.5month, girl
4)twinkle22, jul 2005, 4month, boy
5)yippy, june 2005, 5month, boy
6)char77, may 2005, 7month, boy
7)lachesiz, dec 2004, 11month, girl
8)ecin, nov 2002 3year, boy
9)mummy69
10)faith, feb 2005, 9month, girl
11)cher, july 2004, 17month, girl
12)EOng, jun 2004, 18month, girl
13)augustmum, aug 2004, 16month, boy

To mark that tomorrow is FRIDAY
happy.gif
Here are some funny pics of my son taken just now...
What is this?? Oh..it's my biscuit..
342238.jpg
342239.jpg

342240.jpg
Where did it go, Mummy??

Good morning, mummies. TGIF!

Char77
aiyo, your boy so funny....

Lachesiz
Have PM you my contact. Count me in for meetups!

Good Morning All!! Got to be fast fast...as so much to do today as will be on leave until after X'mas (Yipppeeee!!!!
bounce.gif
)

Ix, it was his first time holding his biscuit and he was merrily eating, until it got stuck on his face!!

Augustmum - hope I catch you before you go Chong Pang...no need go so early, think the shop only open around 10.30ish. Yes it's 2 shops away from CK, beside bakery. Sells "v-baby" from the USA, pumpkin patch, oshkosh and other brands...but mostly v-baby which i find very lasting. They bring in new stuff like every week or so. Enjoy Shopping
happy.gif

Gathering - sounds SUPER!! Agree with Lachesiz, better a home for now, as weather pretty unpredictable for swimming. Maybe can consider swimming next time. Lachesiz, thanks for "opening" your home, sounds like a great idea.

Shopping - Aiyoh, Lachesiz, you got me lah, I do like to window shop a fair bit. As do not work in town, so spend my weekends walking around town with my baby. Love to go Raffles Place on Saturdays as so empty and so many cheap baby shops. Ok...on..we should go shopping for baby clothes one day..

Food & Weaning - Mummies who are going to the Organic Shop in Yishun, it has sold out its Health Time Brown Rice Cereal ( i was there last night), the man says will come in about 1-2 weeks time.

Lachesiz, I thought brown rice is ok for 3-4 months as it's single grain (the box say one...), oh no...if salah, I feel bad...as recommended to my other friends with 3-4 month old babies. I thought only oats, multi-grain, millet, bread must wait till after 6-8 months as they contain gluten which may cause allergies in young babies. Any comments mummies?? Will go and look at Ruth Yaron...

Ix, my brown rice recipe (also can for normal rice). Soak 2 chinese soup spoon of rice in water overnight. Drain, and dry using kitchen towel. Place in oven toaster and stir so the toasting is even. Takes about 5-7 minutes. Just toast until there is some smell and the rice is dry (keeps better). Grind in blender. Keep powder in fridge (about 1 week). Cook required amount. I find steaming is best, slow cooker also can. Cook about 1 tablespoon of rice with 4 tablespoon of water. As your darling is younger, you may want to consider sieving with a metal sieve after cooking if you find it lumpy - just add more water to get a thinner consistency.

It sounds paradoxical to soak the rice and then toast it dry right...but I find that soaking hydrates the inside of the rice and allows for a finer grind later. If you know of any Indian Spice shops, they can also grind for you, their grinder very "powderful", but you must grind large qty.

Ok got to go...catch you all later...

Lachesiz,
Thanks for letting us use your hse. U can decide on a date and see the response. If many mommies joining, we can always go to the mall instead.

char77,
Enjoy your trip n I will keep in touch wz u.

Valerie,
Do u need any socks or mittens, or other stuff? I am clearing out the used bb stuff. U can list down what u need and maybe other mommies here might be able to pass u what they have.

ix and Lachesiz,
since u have bought the GD, will u consider joining the Shichida? I went for the preview last night, really amazed with the results and still cannot believe the ESP part.

Small Bell
Heard Shichida classes are v ex and parents need to work v hard, right? me lazy mummy leh....even thinking of getting my nanny to show my boy flash card, too much or not huh?

hi everybody,

i am a FTWM and have a 25 mths old boy.
i would luv to join mummies for gatherings/play group session.

here's a pix of my naughty son
342675.jpg

char77,
oooo, so cute.. love the 'biscuit kissing face' pics... hahaha... he looks surprised!
my gal still refuse to hold the biscuit n feed herself...lazy.....

healthy times n earth best cereal goes off the shelf very fast, so tats y i stocked up a few packs at each purchase! hehe

weaning:
actually its ok to give brownrice to 6month old but to be a bit ks, best wait a while longer(i typical singaporean
happy.gif
). i dunno abt the recommendation on brown rice to 3-4m but if theres no allergic reaction to it, shd be ok.. aiya, every bb is different!
but recommended to start with white rice then graduate to brown rice. i really ks hor...

shopping: i dun work in town too! haven venture into raffles shopping yet... can chio me n be my tour guide next time u go?? i mountain tortoise hehe..
you on leave till after xmas!!! wow!!!thats great! i am guessing ur profession! wonder if its education related..
happy.gif

trip: i peifu u n the other mummies for bringing your ds on long trips... i dare not try, not even a short car trip to malaysia...
have a great time at NZ n do take lots of photos n share n let me drool over them ok?

smallbell,
was considereing enrolling her this yr but the classes clashes with my schedule n agree with ixwong, parents must be diligent n do lots of homework.. dunno if i have the discipline n time to do it! but heard from some parents that might be 'better' if you send your child there when they are older.. some recommend 18month, 3yrs etc.. but there are those who says ASAP!
u sending ur bb there?? i am still considering as my gal wil be 18 months in june 06 so more option available for her... so still thinking.
n shicida is $$.
sad.gif

ixwong,
i think its ok rite? considering its just takes less than 1-3 mins.. but best ask her.
btw, anyone knows where to get chinese flashcards? (likd GD style?) besides the 'I can read' series??

gathering:
some mummies are FTWM , incl me. so best meet weekend. but i can only make it in jan 06 weekend coz i not free every weekend from now.
sad.gif

but next wed or thurs i shd be free. any mummies want to meet in the afternoon?
happy.gif

jo.

kao_welcome.gif

we have one more experience mummy here to learn n share ! yippee
your boy very handsome!

1)ixwong, aug 2005, 3month, boy
9)mummy69
15) jo, nov 2003, 25month, boy

Welcome, Jo.

ladies,
we shd also input the name of our babies....

1)ixwong, aug 2005, 3month, boy, Haowen.
9)mummy69
15) jo, nov 2003, 25month, boy

Lachesiz
Next wed/Thurs? I'll pass cos working. But will be on leave from 22 Dec onwards till end of year. Maybe can meet during one of the weekdays then.

Hi mommies,

For those who are considering shichida classes:

My dd started at 13mths & this is her 2nd term. Yes, lots of efforts on the parents' part, esp making props & coming out with new ideas. Unfortunately, other parents in my dd's class not so happening, they dun share. However, there are other parents who actually share to buy teaching aids and rotate among themselves to save cost.

Being a FTWM, we only have the Shichida Home Practice session nightly before bedtime. Rest of the day, my mom will read to her in Chinese & do colouring or other motor skills.

DD started at 13mths when she just mastered walking independently, so it's like 'catching' game with her in class, Took her a few weeks to settle down and bcos she's the only newbie in class whereas the rest started 1 term earlier, so I was a bit pressurized. Plus the fact that the teacher not very good, she gave me the impression that her job is to deliver the syllabus to us not not helping the child/parent. - This is quite subjective lah, I do hear that there are good teacher ard also. Maybe to me, I felt that with that amt of $$ I hv paid, we shd get more customised learning/attention.

Both hubby & I do believe in Shichida method but not the school. For those mommies who are considering enrolling, do look out for public holidays that clashes on the class dates as there's no replacement class.

Sorry..got to go...will update my thots soon

Hi all. I'm just back from a week in Malaysia with family. I think my kids are the oldest (boy is 5 yrs and girl is 3). Let me try to catch up with everyone again the next day or two. So happy to see so many mummies in this area....

hi mommies..

juz spotted this thread today.. I'm a SAHM, staying in Yishun too, Blk 624 to be exact.. anybody staying near me? I've got a boy. Aaron is borned on 12 April 2005.. he is 7.5mths now.. I've juz bought a swim suit for him, but the weather is bad recently, hopefully could bring him to the pool one of these days.

Btw, you gals can catch me at msn too.. pls add me in when there's chat, my email is [email protected]

Mummy69
Good to hear from you finally....

Welcome Stephanie!

Cher
Can u share how much is the cost for shichida classes huh? What is the best age to start such classes?

Back