Any Recommendation for Playgroup at Bishan /Upper Thomson area

Hi mums,

For those interested, PIES School House is having an open house on 19th and 20th Sept. They are at 20 Mayflower Rise, behind Kebun Baru CC. Call them at 6452 6116 for more details.

Cheers!!

both my children are in NTUC Bishan. One of the blks just completed reno - very airy and nice. There were many changes recently. I had some not so good experience with the centre previously when there were 'principals in transit' but now, things are looking good at the centre. Most importantly, my children look forward to go to school every morning.

any recommendations for playgroups in bishan?

other than Bright Start is there any others? my boy is 2 yo. thanks

Dear all

Please DO NOT register your kids with Lovingkids Learning Cove located at Block 225 Bishan. The teachers and principal are lousy and not professional. One teacher has very bad attitude and argumentative. I had bad encounter with her.

I'm sending my girl to s'pore montessori kindy next year. and she's turning 2 next march. 3 hours 5 day week. Go there play. I'm not particular abt programme so I din ask much. they been around for quite a long time already. near thomson plaza. got tea break and sch bus some more. fees abt 1k per term. My obj is for social interaction so i'm happy if she is happy. that is, if she will be happy...

Hi all,

I'm looking for playgroup or halfday CC too. PIES has closed down and sunflower kidz has taken over. Any feedback? Is Y'kidz still around?

I agree It has to be hard enough losing a parent at such a young age 70-271 exam, without the entire world looking at you after it happens 70-284 exam. I’ve watched a lot of interviews on TV of people close to the family who are adamant about the fact that Michael’s mother is doing a good job of protecting the kids from the media, so that’s good 70-297 exam.

Hi,

Just wanted to provide some opinions on the playgroups I've tried for my son who is below 2 years.Shan't disclose the age ... Hope other mothers will find the info useful. My objective was to find a nearby playgroup within my reach, that is interesting and condusive for this age.

I tried loving kids at Blk 225. I don't feel it is suitable for a very active toddler. I understand usually the first few days, being in a new environment a kid will go exploring the classroom etc. But it wasn't safe enough and I had to personally manage him, otherwise the teacher cannot cope. E.g. there were porcelain drinking mugs at child's reach, and of cos my son went to grab it and i had to pull it from him. The biscuit food for refreshment was at his reach and I had to again pull from him because it was just lying around in the classroom.

My overall impression was that the teacher needs to have very well behaved toddlers who can follow
follow instructions, therefore more mature toddlers perhaps at least 2yrs old, or a less active kid who simply sits still and do as required. My kid is below 2, but if you are willing to accept, it means you must know how to handle kids who can't understand instructions that well yet. I attended only 1 day, but didn't quite feel at ease with the place. And there were a few other things I'm not happy about, but I won't post them here.

I went to enquire Joyhouse... didn't get to try it out, but the impression I got was pretty commercial in terms of how they answered my queries. They give you the run down of what they do, but somehow miss the love element of teaching.I actually tried to give them my business a few times, but somehow , just didn't manage to go for a trial session.

I finally went to Totsville montessori, and by far am happiest there. Just speaking to the teacher, I felt there was sincerity and interest in teaching, not just running a play group as a business. I was given a chance to try a trial, and the environment was much better than the previous 2. I liked the place much more, the syllabus as well. And the teachers are all montessori trained, and to some extent, I see them doing real montessori work, and not just having the brand name. Others, I am told, may have the brand name but didn't do it. So I signed up with them, and my toddler will start shortly with them. If it turns bad, I'll post here too ... hee

Just wanna give mothers out there reviews, because I myself was looking so hard for reviews and found very few... yet there are numerous children in these playgroups!

I am still interested in more opinions on red schoolhouse ... hoping to hear more!

Hi

I send my son to Totsville and I must say that the teachers there show a very keen interest in his development. We had difficulty introducing the chinese language to him but the school actually managed to help him. I must say I am very impressed by his improvement!

hi, i'm looking for a playgroup for my son, too. seems that Totsville is not bad. What's the teacher-student child ratio and fees like?

Hi Koko

The teacher-student ratio max is 1:6

More importantly, the experienced teachers there can handle the kids pretty well. I'm comparing to those others that I tried out, and this school has no difficulty managing a ratio of 1:6 well.

Having said that, I notice there is a new teacher, she is very very young. Naive too. I really am concern if she can do the job... otherwise, i will switch my son out because I am particular that at the very least, the teachers should enjoy the children, have eye contact, and not just treat it like a boring job. Her face tells you very clearly she doesn't enjoy this job at all.

My son is enjoying his time in this place very much. For the moment, I'm still with them since this could be a relief teacher until they find someone else. Overall , I like the principal, the chinese teacher, and the other older (ie not the newest) teachers seem quite good too.

Hi

I thought I'd continue posting so that any parent who want reviews and comments can continue to follow through.

I'm still very satisfied with Totsville after almost 6 months with them. I'm a little more particular that a school isn't just Montessori by name, given that I tried out a few schools, but that they do carry out activities with the child's interest at heart and teachers are appropriately trained in Montessori so that they can direct the kids accordingly.

All the teachers in this centre are montessori certified. It's very hard to get a centre with all teachers montessori trained. Several centres and child care I know of , have say 1 or 2 teachers that are montessori certified but not all their staff.

I must thank my friends who taught me the importance of looking for a good playgroup/school. Some of them are paying $1500- $2000/term for a similar Montessori experience which is super expensive, but they can afford it
happy.gif
I don't know if there's any difference,but I think Totsville is very reasonably priced and still doing a good job in imparting the necessary montessori skills.

Lastly, I think the new teacher is picking up well, and doing better with the kids now. So, all is good
happy.gif

Oh thanks for the review of Totsville. How much are they charging for a term or month? Are they an enrichment centre or childcare?

Hi Little Mistral, thanks for all the infor. its extremely useful. What is the full name and address of Totsville, I would love to check it out. I google Totsville in MCYS website but it didnt come out. thanks

Hi, i'm an experienced pre-school teacher now SAHM. My kids are both 4 and 8 yrs old now. I started doing playgroup style cum phonics teaching with them when they were 2/3 yrs old. Both started reading elementary books and able to spell many words by age 3.

Many parents sent their kids to phonics at the age of 4 and some kids at age 5 still unable to spell or read well. In fact, once a week phonics class is not enuf. At least 2 times a week is more effective. Giving toddlers early exposure to phonics with effective material and fun lesson plan is beneficial. My girl loves reading and without tuition and the need to do assessment book, she's the top scorer for English in P1. Her strong English foundation will not be possible if i did not expose her to phonics at an early age. There are many phonics material sold in bookstores and internet but many are not interesting. The one i have is used by a popular playgroup and my 2 kids love it and listen to it many times which is impt for their learning process.

Thus, I'm thinking of starting a training course to mothers who wants to learn how to teach phonics YOURSELF effectively. It's oso good bonding time with your kids and with those who have more than 1 child, it's even better to do it together. U can bring yr kid along as long as they dun distract you. Lesson plan, CD and material will be included. I will teach hand actions on songs and rhymes as well as ideas on art and craft to make the whole teaching session meaningful.

Details as follows:-
- 6 to 8 week course
- 2 hours per SESSION, once a week
- Weekday morning except Thurs (pls state your preference)
- Time : 9.30 to 11.30 am (time can be adjusted)
- $50 per SESSION (including lesson plan and craft material)
- Phonics Book and CD to be purchase at $20/- per set.
This phonics course is basic phonics comprise of Consonants and Vowels. Suitable for children upto 4 yrs old.

If you are interested, pls email to me at [email protected].

All enquiries are welcome

Hi,
I just enrolled my 26months old gal to Totsville montessori Playgroup...so far so good... But just wondering if the syllabus is always the same if I kept her till she reaches 3 years old ?
Anyone who has a better idea if their cirriculum and syllabus, please advise.

Many Thanks

Regards
Happe

Hi

Im planning to send my boy who just turn 18mths to playgroup. Any mothers have comments on Hampton Preschool at bishan i think is blk 178?

And where is this totsville montessori playgroup? Seems very gd reviews. Many thanks for the feedback. Cheers!

Hi there, any kids attending little green house at marigold drive? Visited the center n quite like the environment but not sure of the curriculum.. Any feedback will be appreciated!

Hi,

I tried to provide an update some time ago, but there was a web failure and it couldn't save my comments.. so I kept forgetting to update, and finally manage to get it done now.

Since my last posting, I would say all the teachers including the new one that I mentioned (who is now a regular teacher) is very good. It takes time for a new teacher to get used to the environment and how to relate to kids.

She's progressed alot too, and has gotten better and better.

Overall, I feel totsville is very responsible, caring and passionate. I've tried 2 other Montessori schools before, including a childcare and they were awful. Totsville had good supervision on ensuring the kids can do their montessori work properly. Other schools were more laxed or lack of structure to ensure all kids are well supervised during mat time.

When I have time, I will write very an honest review about at least 2 other schools that I had visited and tried out.

Again, this is for the benefit for all mums, who wanna know what's good out there, and not intended to be malicious attacks on any school. But some of them had been very irresponsible, and you'd want to stay clear of those, and the only way is to have an share the feedback honestly. If you're good, i'll definitely make good recommendations and vice versa

Hi,

Totsville Montessori is at the Bishan North Mall, Bishan St 22. It's opposite the Ang Mo Supermarket.

FYI, as I needed childcare cos nobody to help me manage my kiddo, I had to stop using them, and started using a very wonderful childcare! It takes time for me to post reviews, I'll try to do it either in this thread or somewhere related to childcares around Bishan. I went through a very bad childcare, before knowing what's a good childcare.

HI, I agreed that Totsville is good with responsible & caring teachers. my DS was was there for 8mths; quit because transferred to full day childcare.

I'm looking for weekend playgroup or enrichment class for 26mths. Pls PM me if you have any recommendation. area- Bishan, Sin Ming or nearby.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Mummies,

I have a 2 year old and planning to organise a playgroup for mummies living in the Upper Thomson, Bishan area.

I have a facebook: Lakeview Toddlers, and fun activities for any moms and tots would like to join us, just log on and let us know if you would like to come.

I am also planning to organise some fun time and activities at MacRitchie or Pierce as well as FREE mandarin sharing activities.

See you on FACEBOOK.

Hi Zanneho, you cannot accept PM. Pls PM me. Looking for weekend class to keep my DS occupany as he cannot sit still at home except watching TV which is bad. Tks

Hi mummies..
I am new to this forum. Just to share my disgusted opinion on a Montessori school in Bishan. I shall not disclose the name of school.
( It has Montessori programme as well as before and after school care, in a bomb shelter)
I called to enquire for my eldest son ( 8yrs old) for their before after school care as well and my 2 other children ages 5 and 3 for their Montessori Programme.
The lady who answered the phone was so RUDE! this is what happened:
i called in the morning- the rude lady ( whom i realised is the principal!!) shouted loud and said that she is busy right now in a meeting! asked me to give my number, and i gave. Waited for 3hours,she didnt call me back. So i decided to call her again just in case she didnt get my number right,.
wow. here comes the shock- she again shouted so loud that i have to take the phone away from my ear. she said- hey, i told you right, i am in a meeting, i call you back! i was shocked.. is this the way a principal talks??
Since she doesnt want my business, fine. i will not call her anymore! so angry!!
This centre is very near from my place, and since i have 4 children, i thought it would be easier for my helper to send my 3 kids to the school at one go. But i definitely will not sign up with them anymore,. so disgusted by her behaviour!!

Oh yes,.. conclusion- I managed to speak to another Montessori Centre which has pretty good reviews( and i am actually under their wait list for 2months already).. decided that i will continue to wait for their vacancy rather than go to this bomb-sheltered rude school which begins with a letter J!! really do angry with her attitude

Hi Yan Yan, can u also pm the same for me? I am considering totsville when my boy turn 18 mths next year but would like to explore more option. Thanks!

haha.. Vernie. the centre i am under waitlist is Totsville too!
wow. seems like this school is really popular.
But i might have to put my elder child (5yr old) in a church kindy if Totsville still do not have any vacancies by Sept.
my 2 other kids ( 3 and 16mths) no problem.. can wait.

Yan Yan - Totsville must wait list ah? I enquired last time for playgroup in Jan/Feb 2012, they say no need? Aiyoh - better check with them again...

Hi mummies,
any comments on Brightstart Montessori at Bishan CC? I am plannint to send my girl there next year.

Dunno about Brightstart Montessori but I've sent both my kids to Joyhouse Montessori at Bishan. They are very happy there and I am very satisfied with the teachers. My kids enjoy themselves very much. My older boy is now in Primary 1 and he is doing very well in school as he has a very strong foundation in his Phonics and Math, this I must thank the teachers at Joyhouse. My younger one is now there.

@ Jasdesouza:
I didnt have a chance to trial at Joyhouse because i was put off by the principal's attitude when she answered my call ( refer to my earlier postings).
But if the teachers are good, i can re-consider visiting them since my kids will be taught by the teachers and not by the rude principal!

@Jia2(tamil):
Where is brightstart montessori? i cant find the website. can PM me? thanks!

hihi.. my gal going to turns 18mths.. i intend of looking for playgroup for her.. but i not too sure which is better. any one can advise.. you all refering Totsville the location is at where. I stay at seng kang...

hi mummies anyone have feedback on little greenhse childcare at marigold ave .

anyone can intro some gd playgroup for 18mths near yishun,sembawang area?

thank you veri much
happy.gif

Back