Any Recommedation for Phonics Enrichment Class ??

Hi tamarind,

Remember me? I used to seek for your advice on how to teach my girl phonics. I've just started her on MMI phonics and she was taught 4 letter sounds in just one lesson so far. Like what you have advised me, my girl learns all the letter sounds at home before joining the phonics class.

She has also started to read the Ladybird series 1a. Just to make sure whether the title is Play with us in case I got the wrong book? Do you also use the book 1c because I notice that you only mentioned a and b?

bishanmum,
Yes the title is Play with us. I only read the a and b series with my kids. The c series consists of exercises, not easy to get my kids to do them, so I skip them. If you can get your girl to do the exercises in the c series, it will be very good
happy.gif
Otherwise reading the a and b series will be good enough
happy.gif
For my boy I have been doing 1a->1b->2a->2b->3a->3b. For my girl it is 8a->9a->10a->11a->12a->12b, she skips all the b series except 12b. So you can be very flexible with it.

Which MMI branch did you go to ?

tamarind,

Thanks for your reply. My girl joins the Brighthill branch which is quite near to my place. I was with her throughout the first lesson because she's the type that needs time to warm-up in new environment.

Luckily I heeded your advice and taught my girl all the letter sounds through Leapfrog DVD and starfall before going for the class. If not, I think it's really tough for her to learn at such fast pace. However I'm still quite worried that she couldn't catch up when comes to the blending part. She seems like not so interested to watch the Leapfrog Talking Words compared to the Letter Factory. How about your children?

May I know when should I progress to book 1b?

bishanmum,
Don't worry about whether she can catch up or not. Just spend 10 mins practicing phonics with her every day. Don't insist that she remembers the words, just let her practice the techniques. My girl also could not read all the words at that time, but she understands the techniques, and she can read easily after completing the course.

MMI will teach all the combinations of 3 letter words with "a", within 1 to 2 weeks. There is no need for the child to know all of them before going on. After they finish all the "a", "e", "i", "o", "u" combinations, they will be able to understand the technique very well.

I make sure that my boy can read most of the words in every page of book 1a, by himself without any help from me, before going on to book 1b. Book 1b uses the exact same words as book 1a, but in different ways, for reinforcement.

Tamarind,

fyi, me also bght the ladybird series to teach my 4YO son. just start 1a....haha...he can read the whole book himself...but sometimes i think is more of memorising and looking at pictures...but i agree with u on consistency.

i myself is not consistent, hence sometimes remember then teach...

he is in ZP now...but after reading your blog and posts...i most likely will change him to MMI juring west. that is the one u went to rite? i stay in west..so this should be the nearest branch for me...

agree with bishanmum..u are of a great help!

btw, i read ur blog on maid too....interesting! cos i am in the midst of changing my 2nd maid...

stressma,
You will know whether he is memorising when you let him read book 1b. The same words, but different story. He should be able to read a new page without help from you
happy.gif

Actually ZP is good if you start your child from very young, because their pace is slower, not as stressful as MMI. For MMI, you really have to be committed to practising with your child every day. Their progress is very fast.

Glad that you find my maid blog useful too
happy.gif

Hi All,

I have an original 'Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD' for sale in sealed/ BN condition.

To all mummies who are interested please send me an email.

Ling,
Hi, read ur posting and i'm looking for this leapfrog dvd. how much r u selling? Can u sms me at 97480275 coz i seldom login? thx a lot

hi mummies

not sure if someone can help here. i'm trying to order some stuff from tower.com and at the the checkout screen, i was told that my credit card is not not 3D secure enrolled. they've asked me to provide a 3D secure credit card or a credit card issued by a US institution to complete my order. does any mummy have such an experience and how to overcome this problem?

thanks in advance!

For mommies who are keen to teach their kids phonics at home, check out my new blog.

http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-to-teach-phonics.html

I have included phonics materials which I used to teach my son, as well as detailed description of the method I used. The method is suitable for kids who cannot sit still, and have very short attention span.

My boy, now 3 years 11 months, is able to read a page of about 100 words on his own. I only started teaching him at the beginning of this year, for about 8 months only. I spend about 15 minutes everyday teaching him.

There is really no need to send your kids to expensive classes to learn to read. You can do it at home easily.

Even if you do send your kid to class, they will still tell you that you must practice with the child at home everyday.

All phonics classes only start to teach 3 letter words when the child is 4 years or older. Before that, the classes only teach the 26 letter sounds. The child can learn these at home easily.

There are many kids who can master the 26 letter sounds by 2 years old. But no phonics classes will teach them how to put letters together to form words at that age. If parents can teach them at home, they can be reading very well before they reach 4 years old !

I think that the ability to read independently, is the most important skill that we should teach our kids.

tamarind,
when you teach them to read...eg cot, dot...do you explain the meaning too?
when you read to them, do you point at the words?
TIA.

mummy_tang,
You are welcome
happy.gif

fz,
Yes I try to explain as much as I can. Here's what I wrote in my blog :

<font color="0000ff">Try to make it fun when teaching. For example, when teaching the word "jam", show the child a can of jam. When teaching the word "run", ask the child to run together with you. When teaching the word "fin", you can take a real fish out of the fridge, and let the child touch the fin.</font>

Also, please read this page of the blog, scroll down for the instructions.

http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-to-teach-phonics.html

<font color="0000ff">These cards are meant to be given to him to play with. He learns how to put them in the correct category. After he arranges all the words correctly, I will mix them up. Then I will say a word, and ask him to pick out the correct word.</font>

tamarind! u are great!
thanks for all the info.
I am a lazy mum.. will be just starting to teach my 3yr old gal.
Quite confused still... do i need to start off with a single letter, then 2 letter?

Thanks Tamarind.
My 21mth old knows 90% of the alphabet's phonetic sounds (except for N...which he pronunces as M..and A as Ah...Ah-pple..instead of air-pple...:p). He seems to have trouble combining two phonetic sound together...eg a-t makes at (from the leapfrog)...i wonder if its because his tongue is not ready yet.

mama_G,
Yes you must make sure that your girl knows all the sounds of the 26 letters first. You can use the Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD, or www.starfall.com.

Once she knows all the letters very well, then you can start teaching her "at", "an". So long as she can read "at", "an", you start start teaching her c-at, c-an, etc.

fz,
21 month is still very young
happy.gif
You should wait until he knows all 26 letter sounds very well first, before continuing to "at", "an". At the beginning, the child may take a long time to learn these 2 letter words, my boy took more than 1 month when he was about 3 years 3 months old.

hi tamarind,
i have ordered the Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD, will arrive sometime in Oct only. Started with starfall last night.. when the alligator and the bear came out.. she was scared..cover her eyes... haiz....

Hi tamarind,

we started on starfall, and finished the ABC letters section and proceed with the 2nd, he said is so bored....faintz.... I have yet to started him on yr cards.... will start him soon...

Also just started him on GUG's reading and writing class, everytime ask him what he learn, said dunno.... gosh... dunno how man

Hi mamaG, my son is 4.5yr old. he is very lazy, dont like to read...but wants you to read him those very chim stories kind.....also I tried to get him interested in Ladybird's series, he's not interested @ all....
sad.gif

my gal is 3.5 yrs... just started starfall with her ydae and she don seem very interested also.. i also quite worry
sad.gif
... how long u take to get him long all the 26 letter sounds?

Hi tamarind,

Would like to find out more abt the MMI phonics that yr girl is attending. How is the lesson conducted? Is it fun with movement during lesson or is it desk bound type?

I am interested to enrol my 4yrs old girl but my only concern is that she has very short attention span. She cant sit still for more than 5 mins.Do u think she willbe suitable for the MMI phonics or zoophonics.

Would be very happy if can share with me yr experience.

mama G,
my 21mth old loves the bear and alligator! be prepared for the D-Dinosaur! I find that too loud, but my 21mth old now roars as loud as the programme! He loves starfall.
I usually do about 3-4 letters since my boy already familiar with the sound from Leapfrog. I usually skip the games part cos my boy and i find it boring (unless its C and D which have songs at the end).

mama_G,
Leapfrog don't have anything scary, except at the letter A, which is a little scary. You may want to preview it first
happy.gif

mummy_tang,
My boy is also easily bored. That is why I designed the cards so that his itchy hands have something to do
happy.gif

Most children are not interested to study. You can tell him that there will be a reward for him, if he finish reading Ladybird book 1a. My boy is very motivated when he heard there is a reward. It can be something simple like a trip to the ice cream shop, or a trip to the sea side.

Aical,
It is desk bound type, for kids who are 3 years and 6 months older. It probably will not be suitable for your girl. I am not sure about the Zoophonics class for 4 years old.

My boy is also not suitable for the desk bound type of class. That is why I am teaching him at home.

fz,
My kids also love starfall.com
happy.gif
There are so many things to do at the website.

Hi Tam,
my boy really those "buay-si-tiam".. yday we did the activity 1st (tried to let him play and learn) but he just refuse to listen to my instructions..... so in the end, 3mins later we ended the starfall session.... i tried reward systems lat time for other things, work awhile only....

Has anyone heard of Independent Creative Learners? anyfeedback? http://www.icreativelearner.com/programmes.php
is a 3yr course from Nursery to K2. Thanks!

mummy_tang,
I am very strict with my boy. He can only watch his favourite DVD, Little Einstein, if he finish studying. If not, he will not be able to watch any TV or DVDs at all. He is now very used to the routine. He will tell me "Mommy, I study first, then watch Little Einstein OK ?" Then he will run and find the book and start reading on his own
happy.gif

But it took me more more than half a year to "train" him like this.

wats the diff bet 'speech and drama' class and phonics class.. i see that both classes will teach sound of the letter? should i enrol my gal to 'SND' first or phonics first?

I am so glad i chance upon this site. Now i realise that there shld be a proper way to teach kids. I had just been reading Eric Carle books to my 3 years old boy, seems like I should start him on other books already.

Tamarind, my boy used to watch Brainy Baby 'ABC' CD when he was 2 yrs old, but nowadays he's more interested in Barney. Do you think i should let him watch Leapfrog given he already knew ABC?

Mummy_tang, I have heard of this Idependent Creative Learners and apparently it seems to be a very popular course. The classes are taught at the teachers home and there are only 6 kids per class. Some of those teachers whom I have checked with are all fully booked for weekend classes although the classes for 2005 kids will only start next March. I have just managed to enrol with a teacher for weekday class.

Anyone who had already tried this programme? Any feedback?

Hi Starling,
I have not watched Brainy Baby before. Do they teach letter sounds ? That is, B say "ber" as in "bear" and c says "ker" as in "cold" ?

Morning Tamarind,
Yes, the CD teach the letter sound as well, so am not sure whether should expose try out Leapfrog. Hmm..maybe i should expose him to a variety?
Do you think i should start him on the Ladybird series or i could continue on the Eric Carly? I realise that he is basically memorising the story &amp; not recognising the words

Hi Starling,
If he is already very familiar with all the letter sounds, then there is no need to try Leapfrog.

Personally I think that Ladybird keyword series is better. He will learn 1 or 2 new words a page, the words are repeated more than 10 times in a book. You can read one page only once. Everyday, just read a new page. Then you will know whether he knows the word or not
happy.gif

You can also print out or write the words on separate pieces of paper to "test" him. Ladybird book 1a and 1b use only 16 words.

Also, it is important to teach him the phonics techniques, it will be a lot easier for him to learn new words. Using phonics, he does not need to remember the spelling, he can figure out how to read the word by combining the letter sounds.

hi tamarind
thanks. Yes i think i have to start him on Phonics because once it becomes a habit, its going to stay with him for life. May consider MMI Montessori. Is there any good teachers for recommendation?

me also considering Chinese enrichment class. I have in mind Berries. any comments?

Re: icreativelearners
any mummies tried out the syllabus?

Starling,
I think you are the best teacher for your son
happy.gif
You may want to try teaching him yourself using the materials here.

http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/

For MMI phonics, they have a few branches, and the teachers also change frequently. I don't think it is possible to recommend any good teachers. It is the method that is important. So long as the teacher uses the method correctly, then should be OK.

Both my kids are in Berries. It is very good. It is best to start from 3 years old, or latest by 4 years old. Their K1 standard is already very high.

Hi Tamarind

Your blog is really informative. Thanks!
Would like to check with you about the different Ladybird Reading Schemes--can you comment on the "Say the Sounds" and "Read with me- Key words reading scheme"?

Do you think it's necessary to start with the above two series, before proceeding to "Peter and Jane" series?

TIA :>

trishbb,
It is better for the child to know the sounds of the letters very well, and have some idea of how to join them together to form 3 letter words first, before starting the Ladybird keyword series.

My kids learn the sounds from the Leapfrog DVDs. We did not use the Ladybird "Say the Sounds" series. You may want to try out and see which one your child likes better.

The "Read with me" or Tom and Kate series also uses the keyword method of teaching. If your child is learning well from the Peter and Jane series, you actually don't have to let him read the Tom and Kate series. Unless you think that he needs more practice. Or if your child likes the Tom and Kate series, then there is no need to read the Peter and Jane series. They aim to teach the same thing.

Personally I think it is better to stick to one series first, complete all the books before starting on another one.

Read here for more information.
http://www.ladybird.co.uk/grownups/parents/atSchool/readingSchemes.html

Hi all,
I found this very good review in amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Play-Ladybird-Words-Reading-Scheme/dp/1844223604
The best starter I have yet found, 15 Mar 2003
By Yayoi Shimizu, English kindergarten-teacher (Duesseldorf, Germany)

This review is from: Key Words Reading Scheme: Series A, No.1 (Key Words) (Hardcover)
<font color="0000ff">When I first saw this series ... I rejected it immediately - I thought it must've been old stock from the fifties, the illustrations are so traditional; no modern child would want it I thought. I have since completely changed my opinion. This is the best book I have ever come across for teaching children the basic words and sentences of the language (and I have a collection of many thousands of children's books). I now swear by it. Its best features are its simplicity and the repetition of the fundamentals. There's also a mysterious something about this book that draws kids to it; for example: in one of my groups there's this girl with a 5-second attention span, who tired of all the other books very quickly, but who is glued to this one. Why? Is it the clear layout, the sheer simplicity of it...? Perhaps it's a combination of these things. The children seem to get great satisfaction out of being able to show the world that they can pick it up and read it fluently from cover to cover. It's not daunting for the complete novice like so many of the others can be. It repeats and repeats, and then inches forward. Children need this. They are so unsure of so much we take for granted - what they are pretty sure is "and" on one page, they may not be certain is "and" on the next. At the end of the day the kids themselves know best what they need - and this book is a winner with them. If you want to help a child start to read English, get it.</font>

Hi Tamarind,
I cant find any MMI phonic around my area, so being asking other montessori phonic enrichment school. I was told that there is pink, blue n green box series for them to learn phonic and each colour will take about a year. Can you tell me did your gal gone thru this? Did she have any worksheet during the class ?
Does any mummy whoes kid at montessori school have anything to share about their phonic lesson?

Back