Any PTWM here to share please?

storelady01

Hi All, I will be a PTWM soon, working only 3 days per week.
Any idea how to spend the other 2 days with my 16 mth old toddler?
I would like to start him in a playgroup / or half day childcare come 18 mth old.... was torn between affordable playgroup (2hr) per day and bring him to enrichment classes on the two days i am not working or invest in a good half day childcare.

Any mommies have experience to share?
icon_biggrin.gif

hello! I am a FTWM, got a domestic helper to help me with my girls.. now age 4 and 17mths. Just to share my "experience"..

I enrolled my eldest into 2hrs Star Tots playgroup (http://www.edufarm.com.sg/) when she was nearly 2 yrs old as there were not enough kids to start a class. In any case, she did pick up a lot during that short period of time (go by themes.. Alphabets (letterland), transportation, shapes etc), some things that I wasn't able to find time to really teach.

For childcare ctr, you probably want to find out how the schedule is like for a week. I recently enrolled my eldest to a nearby childcare for the june hols. Initially, I did consider putting her half day but after looking at their schedule, not really worth it. Most of their lesson and activity time are in the morning, after lunch I think is nap time (abt 1-2hrs i think).. unfortunately, my girl no longer nap, so they occupy her with drawing, painting etc. After nap is about 2.5hrs of lesson/activities. thereafter they can prepare to go home.. free play. `

The advice I heard is that for playgroup because it's only for a short period of time, it's more concised. It's learning throughout (with short break). As for childcare, the timing is slightly longer but sometimes half the time are nap time.. some even have TV time. So do check the centre's schedule...

As for enrichment classes, most of these will need parents to reinforce what is taught in class too.

Whichever option you choose, you will have to consider who will be able to pick your child up when you are working.

oh and during school holidays, some playgroup and kindergartens/nurseries/pre-nursery will not be opened as they follow the MOE school holiday calendar. You most probably will not encounter this issue with childcare ctrs. If the ctr you choose happen to be closed for a month, what are your child care arrangements going to be like?

So all in all... you might want to consider:

1) School Timing
2) Class schedule
3) Child care arrangements (who send kid to sch, who pick up)
4) Costs and subsidies eligibility (do they accept CDA? applicable for subsidy? is it paid per term/month?)
5) in the event of school closure (school holidays and touch wood, due to infection), what kind of other arrangements do you have
6) Read up a bit on the reviews of the ctr if possible

:) Hope it helps!

hello! I am a FTWM, got a domestic helper to help me with my girls.. now age 4 and 17mths. Just to share my "experience"..

I enrolled my eldest into 2hrs Star Tots playgroup (http://www.edufarm.com.sg/) when she was nearly 2 yrs old as there were not enough kids to start a class. In any case, she did pick up a lot during that short period of time (go by themes.. Alphabets (letterland), transportation, shapes etc), some things that I wasn't able to find time to really teach.

For childcare ctr, you probably want to find out how the schedule is like for a week. I recently enrolled my eldest to a nearby childcare for the june hols. Initially, I did consider putting her half day but after looking at their schedule, not really worth it. Most of their lesson and activity time are in the morning, after lunch I think is nap time (abt 1-2hrs i think).. unfortunately, my girl no longer nap, so they occupy her with drawing, painting etc. After nap is about 2.5hrs of lesson/activities. thereafter they can prepare to go home.. free play. `

The advice I heard is that for playgroup because it's only for a short period of time, it's more concised. It's learning throughout (with short break). As for childcare, the timing is slightly longer but sometimes half the time are nap time.. some even have TV time. So do check the centre's schedule...

As for enrichment classes, most of these will need parents to reinforce what is taught in class too.

Whichever option you choose, you will have to consider who will be able to pick your child up when you are working.

oh and during school holidays, some playgroup and kindergartens/nurseries/pre-nursery will not be opened as they follow the MOE school holiday calendar. You most probably will not encounter this issue with childcare ctrs. If the ctr you choose happen to be closed for a month, what are your child care arrangements going to be like?

So all in all... you might want to consider:

1) School Timing
2) Class schedule
3) Child care arrangements (who send kid to sch, who pick up)
4) Costs and subsidies eligibility (do they accept CDA? applicable for subsidy? is it paid per term/month?)
5) in the event of school closure (school holidays and touch wood, due to infection), what kind of other arrangements do you have
6) Read up a bit on the reviews of the ctr if possible

:) Hope it helps!

waw thanks so much for sharing with me yr insights. I too have a domestic helper... just that always hv prob with the previous ones hence thinking to try the new maid out while on my pat time schedule.

you're welcome! :)

I see.. it will be good if the school is near your place.. if it is a rainy day, at least no need to worry too much of the distance. Otherwise you can opt for school bus.. if the school has this service.. but not sure if they accept kids so young.

it's always a headache whether we are working or not! >.<

Back