Any Mums with Only One Child Age 4 & Above?

Hi

I'm a SAHM of two girls born '01 & '03.

I'm a new member of this portal. I come to know about this group through a bulk purchase. From what I read, it seems like Singaporemotherhood has been around quite a while.

Happy to find this thread since elder girl already in K1. Hope to join in your discussion.

For a start, Belladona, I am also thinking of piercing my daughter's ears before she goes P1. I can only think of the goldsmiths in Chinatown.

Siew Kuen,
I've given up having my ears pierced after infections 3x. Most prob will bring my girl to have her ears pierced next year.

Eureka
GUG, Zoo phonics. I think these 2 places teaches phonics for tat age. Other places i not too sure.

Hi all,
kao_welcome2.gif
talker.gif
kao_welcome2.gif
talker.gif
kao_welcome2.gif
talker.gif
kao_welcome2.gif
talker.gif
kao_welcome2.gif
talker.gif

i thought of starting a small interactive group for mommies staying in the west. I am a mother of only one prince ....now 3.5YO .... his energy is beyond your imagination.
bounce.gif

As for the details .... easier to go thro email rather than here. If you're interested, pls leave your emails address behind. Cheerios.

Hi all. I am new ..

A working mum with a son, 5 yrs old in K1. Happy to find this thread.. Hope to join in the discussion..

Hi Van,
I'm FTWM staying at Choa Chu Kang as well. I have been to SPMWESTMOMS but the thread is not so active there.
I have a girl in K1.

Hi Mummies,

I have a 4 yr old boy in Glory Kindergarten Nursery this yr. Anyone with kids there????I am staying around Bukit Timah area...

Dear Friends,
I am also new, staying in Bukit Batok St 52, with a 5 year old boy. Like to know about "I can read" program. Anyone can advise on the fees they charge for Phonics class?

Hi Vivian,

My girl was there early to mid this year same class as your son. we were staying at Bukit Panjang but shifted to Yishun in May 2006.
Which one is yr son? My girl is Carissa, she is the one with the longest hair in school.

oh dear, just read in this thread Hanyu Pinyin can confuse the child. My 5 years old girl has been attending Hanyu Pin lessons since she was 4 years old.

She was with a Montessori childcare from 2 to 4 years old. So there's exposure to Montessori Phonics. And she started Kumon when she was 3 years old (Kumon teaches phonics too).
Don't know whether she mastered her phonics before we started her Hanyu Pinyin, I didn't test her

But she doesn't seem confuse leh. Can read Chinese books if there's hanyu pin

hi,
I'm looking for phonics enrichment classes for my 2 daughters, K1 & K2. Anyone knows any gd teachers in Sengkang?

Hello Hippo2002

I cant seem to find the thread re Kumon. I understand you are a strong supporter. Why did you stop your girl from MMI? My daughter will be 5 this Oct and attending half day child care at MMI. I am contemplating to let her try Kumon. Hope you can share with me how does it benefit your girl. I read somewhere that your daughter is already doing P1 english? I have not heard of anyone of her age so abled. Have you ever considered sending her for intelligence test. She could be gifted.

2galswithlove

she quarrelled with her best friend in MMI childcare & when they failed to patch up, she had mood swing and threw tantrums at home. so I withdrew her since she was so upset. she was 3+ years old then
I didn't send her to any other preschool after withdrawing her from childcare. She just attended various enrichment classes. She only started her formal K1 this year

I didn't know where to send her for test. MENSA only test kids 9 years & above.
even if she's gifted, she has to go through the same MOE syllabus, can't promote faster anyway. so I guess gifted or not makes no difference in Singapore

many kids are very advanced in Kumon. I read in one of the Kumon newsletters, a K2 boy doing P4 maths. Watched a documentary on TV a few years ago, a 3 years 3 month old boy doing P4 maths in Kumon! so we didn't think she was that advanced lah

not every child suits Kumon. it's depends on the child's character.
My elder girl has always been the quiet type, very organised & neat and loves to read. So she gets a lot of thrill from doing worksheets. My younger girl has no discipline. prefers to wander around & is quite restless. so Kumon is definitely not suitable for her

there is a link on kumon http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/353635/537948.html?1174546443

Hello mummies, nice meeting all of you.

Heehee... used to have only 1 boy (k1) until my recent delivery. Was afraid that my boy will be lonely, so decided to have another one.

Elfie,
I stay in Sembawang too. :)

Rzz , sengkang got home based phonics lesson by iCreative learning . Weekdays is $170 for 8 lesson and wkend is $190 . class is small 6 of them only . My girl K1 this year attend the course with Pasir Ris teacher . Me think quite good as she can read simple books for age 5 - 6 on her own now.

Hi!

I am 27 and I am a freelance writer with a 5 year old son =) I am also a Single Mum... but I am getting married next Feb to a wonderful guy he has been calling "Papa Bear" for almost 4 years. =)

He is an avid reader and is good at English and Maths. His Mandarin however is quite terok - the older folks will call it "jiak kantang".

I speak good Mandarin but my Dad who babysits him can't speak any. My Mum speaks broken Mandarin. I was working FT a few months ago, so now that I am SAHM + Freelancer, I can try to tutor him in his Mandarin more.

Anyone having problems getting their kids to master their mother tongue? =)

My son is really quite interesting because he makes sure he distributes his time quite evenly between playing his Lego/Transformers, reading and watching the telly. He also doesn't like food that is too sweet. He doesn't really like ice-cream but loves yoghurt. He'd rather have Cai Png over pasta. Lol.

I honestly cannot afford the classes stated here but we have done well. My boy has been able to read and write well since just before turning 4, and his grasp of phonetics as well as his vocab is pretty amazing. He also loves geography and knows his map of the world. He reads widely and can go through 8 or more books a day! Had to apply for Premium membership to supplement both our love for books. Really glad that this school hols, the number of books we can borrow per card has been doubled. =) I was surprised when he asked me to borrow books on Rip Van Winkle just a few days ago!

He also loves doing English + Maths assessment books (o_O)" and makes me buy them for him when we go Popular. He is doing Eng Assessment books for Primary 2 and Maths for Primary 1.

I have no idea which school to put him in and my future MIL and FIL (who were teachers) also feel that putting him in a wrong school might stifle him - ie he might get bored in the class easily. I am just going to trust God when it comes to the actual time. My HTB and I would like to enrol him in a mix school.

My boy's cousins to be are also quite remarkable - trillinguals (maid speaks Malay, parents speak all 3 - Malay, Mandarin and English to them - girls aged 4 and 2). Another cousin to be is in UK - she is 3 but her vocab includes words like "unkempt" and "inconveniently". As she mastered English in UK, she speaks with a very strong accent. She will be returning to Singapore next year, so we are looking to see if it will stay or go.

I guess the kids are able to speak well because my future SILs and I speak to them in proper English - no baby talk ever. My son does break into Singlish once in a while coz my Dad speaks Singlish to him. =)

He attends Living Sanctuary Kindergarten at Hougang St 22 - I highly recommend the school. =) The teachers and principal are amazing people.
We tried him in Cambridge prior to his current school and he hated it. He grumbled that he was learning nothing in school and that he disliked the teachers there. I homeschooled him for a year before putting him in LSK.

Another thing about my son is that he snores very loudly - the loudest in the family in fact. We've brought him to the doctors but they say that it is sinus and he also has enlarged tonsils - normal for kids. Hoping he will grow out of it. =) Anyone has kids that snore?

Sorry for the long intro haha... great to find this forum and hope we can all trade tips and share our experiences with each other.

Cheers!

Hi,
I'm very new to this. I have a son and he's turning 4 in January. Being the only kid at home, he's very pampered by the grandfather, maid as well as my hubby and me. He is very attached to the maid and won't go anywhere without her, even overseas holidays. Because of this, I have to send him to full day childcare so his time with her at home is less but still the bond is so strong. At times, I feel very jealous of her as I am the mother but he doesn't want me as much. Thinking of quitting my job to stay home with him and send the maid back but was worried I may not be able to do a good job being a full-time mother. Hope any stay home moms can share her experience with me before I quit my job. Really tired of office politics but also scared of taking care of an active boy at home.

Hi all mummies here, I'm new to this thread. Can I join?

I've a 5.5 yrs old boy (born December 2002) in Kindergarten 2 full day child care in Yishun. I stayed in Woodlands.

I too received the P1 registration booklet from my boy's child care ctr 2 weeks ago. Still undecisive where to register him. Preferred choice would be Woodsgrove Pri which is just across the road. But this may mean I've may have to quit my job to care for him before/after school as this school has double sessions.

I'm also worried that my boy may not be ready for P1. Last week his teacher told me that he doesn't know the basic maths like 1+1, etc. Since that conversation with the teacher, I went to Popular bookshop to buy him some maths assessment book to do. And also bought icecream sticks to teach him how to count at home. I blamed myself for not doing a good job in teaching him
sad.gif

My boy is very playful and active (teachers complained too).

Hi Linda,

My boy (will be 4 this June) is also in a full day childcare center in Yishun. He's in My Little Campus. What about your son?

Hey Linda! My son is also entering into Primary 1 next year. =) We're sending him to the primary school across the road as we don't believe in branded schools. My hubby and I came from "branded" schools and we feel a neighbourhood school can be just as good. We didn't have very good opinions of our alma maters. =)

Don't blame yourself for your boy's maths issues. Guilt won't help make things better. I think it is great that you're doing your best for him and making an effort to coach him. How are you both progressing?

I used to study psychology and children grow in stages not ages. Meaning 2 kids of the same age don't necessary learn at the same pace and there is nothing wrong with that. They learn in stages.

I think this is something most of us are not aware of and we feel pressured that A's kid is same age as mine and her kid can do this but mine can't... then we get all stressed out and stress the kids out. As long as your kid develops the set of skills within the age range of the stage he is in, he will do fine. Then he moves on the next stage. Kids in the same stage can be the same age or even 2-3 years apart.

I hope you don't take me wrong here, but also from your description and his teacher's complaints, could he have ADHD? Again, nothing wrong with that. ADHD kids can be very very brilliant but need to be taught how to focus their attention better. It is good to discover if he has ADHD at a younger age than much later, so he will be less frustrated in school. Also, some schools have teachers that help ADHD students with their studies and that help the kids cope better. There should be no stigma attached to ADHD. As long as you get help fast, it shouldn't affect your child too much at all in his later years and even as an adult.

Hi Geraldine

So have you registered your son? Mine is next week, Phase 2C.

The teachers in sch also asked me whether he have ADHD. Where can i get my boy assessed whether he had ADHD? Is there such a clinic where i can bring him there for assessment?

Hello,

I am new to forums. I stumbled across this online and thought it's great to have a collection of wisdoms from moms all over Singapore.

Hope to join this thread.

My boy who just turned 4 is still little passive, shy and lack of confidence. He is still having separation anxiety. Does anyone here have the same issue?

Hi, I'm new here glad to join all of you.
I have a 4 year old daughter attending full time childcare.
Just wondering if anyone has advice on if attending 2 or 3 enrichment classes a day will stree kido.
She's attending abacus and chinese enrichment after her half day childcare on sat.
I'm wondering if I can let her attend one more in the morning.
pls advice :p

Hi, I am new to this thread.
I am 29 years old, FTWM and have a 5year old boy in K1..
He is a very active boy who only likes to play. He doesn't like to read and can't write well. He also have problems recognising numbers and alphabets.. I have tried to coach him but he is so stressed that he keeps rubbing his eyes (sign of stress) every time i get him to read and write!! So I am trying not to stress him in case the eye rubbing problem gets worse. but i am worried about him coping in school and when he starts P1.

Does anyone have same problem?

Hi Catharine,
My boy also in K1. Don't worry so much of his developement. I'm sure he will catch up soon. My boy also cannot recognise all the alphabets and he always mix up the small and capital letters. Now I'm trying to teach him to write his name. I think boy is normally more active and slower in writing. Don't stress him ya.

Hi Chris
Thanks for sharing..
Ya, trying not to stress him. but just worried that in such a competitve society, it may be tough for him when teachers start comparing them.

I guess have to take it easy.. what matters most is that they are happy and healthy..

Hi Catharine,
It's ok to worry coz they have to know how to read and write when they are in P1. However, K1 is still early. My boy has attended N1 and N2 and the teachers has introduced the letters and alphaberts in a brief way. I think now they are in K1, the teachers will teach them more serious and more practice in the writing. My elder gal has gone thru the same phase and she is doing fine in P1 ( subjects scored ave 87% to 96% )
happy.gif

Just observe him and by K2 if he still not good in writing and reading then you can enrol him in some enrichment classes. It won't be too late.
I understand how you feel especially we often heard of those 4 yrs old already know how to read and write. It all depends on the child that he has the concentration and eager to learn and perhaps those parents has pumped in thousand of dollars on the tuition. Well, I would assume we are the normal income family and the child is develope normally. Don't let his peers stress you ya.

Hi Chris
i felt so relieved after hearing your experience. I guess i have to learn to take it easy and let him learn at his own pace. like you suggested, if by k2, his writing and reading does not improve, it may be good to enroll him in enrichment classes.

Dear New member Yvonne,
Pls refrain from advertising your bizness here.
If you have overlooked, forgotten or unintentionally ignored the rules and regulations stipulated in this forum, I suggest that you go thru' them slowly and carefully again.

There are many members here who are also bizness vendors. They take the time, energy and initiative to abide by the rules in this forum, and that includes paying a fee to be a biz vendor. Otherwise, they are aware that their membership may be suspended without notice.

Thank you!

Hi Geraldine and Mimosa,

I don't know if you follow this thread anymore, but I still do only if there is an email notification update of posts.

Geraldine, I understand you studied psychology.

Mimosa, how is your son and has he been thru' any assessments?

My son is 8yo and early this year, he was clinically diagnosed with ADHD and later confirmed to be mild dyslexic.

He attends P2 mainstream neighboourhood school and has been waiting (goo goo) to be placed for twice weekly enrichment classes at DAS.

Back