Any mummies self-teach their kids at home instead of going enrichment classes?

bluemom

Hi, are there any mummies self-teach their kids at hm instead of sending them to English n Maths enrichment classes?

Any advice of what I shld teach him from a start? I am afraid that I might be able to control my tempers when he don't....

Pls advice me. Thanks

Hi Jojo, how old r ur kids?
I hv self-tuition for all subjects for my Pr 3 girl since K2 September.
The only exception is that she also hv Chinese enrichment class at Berries bcuz we don't speak Chinese at home.
Tempers will certainly flare, we are human afterall, so if things get bad, maybe a tuition teacher or group tuition will help ease tension! :p

I teach by assessment books, I start by browsing at Popular Bookshop and ask mothers for recommendations.
I choose according to the ability, interest and endurance of my child, i.e weekly revision vs. daily exercise.
You'll need lots of patience, discipline to teach consistently, and self-control of course.
But you'll save lots of money, flexibilty to vary teaching methods, more bonding and get satisfaction when your child do well in exams! Also after tutoring your child for about a semester, if you decide to go for enrichment, at least you'll have a better feel of what kind of environment or method more suitable for your child.
Hope my advice helps. Good luck!
happy.gif

Hi mom2001-04,
I also self teach my P2 girl. Do u have any particular assessment book to recommend for P2 Maths n English?
My gal does not take to chinese very well. Any comments re. Berries? Costs vs course content.
I struggle along to control my temper when my patience is stretch. I plan to only turn to external tuition when the standard is beyond me. Hopefully I can handle them throughout her Primary education. I have been told how tough P5/P6 maths n science can be.

Hi, now I tried teaching my son whom now 6yrs, next yr P1. Tempers really flare when asked him whether he know or not but he just blankly looked at you, aiyo, can't tahan....

I bought assessment books to teach him n recently I just bought the maths P1 coursebook n realised that maths become so difficult. Sometimes really pity him. Have to squeeze so much into such a small brain... Do you let the kid do assessment works everyday??

My son has been attending Tien Hsia since K1.

Can we keep in contact to exchg teaching pointers, if ok, you can PM me ur contact.

Dear parent,

I like to organise home base LOGICO PICCOLO program for Ages 5-9.

Directions for LOGICO PICCOLO cards:
BRAIN DEVELOPMENT SERIES
* Watch and Think
* Perception
* Watch, Discover and Speak
* Space Position
* Traces
* Patterns
* Geometry 1
* Geometry 2
ENGLISH SERIES
* Me and My Family
* My Home
* At School
* My Town
MATHEMATICS SERIES
* Counting and Addition to 10
* Addition and Subtraction to 10
* Addition to 20
* Addition and Subtraction to 20
* Introducing Multiplication
* Multiplication by 2 to 10
* Introducing Division
* Division by 2 to 10
(Total of 320 cards)

Frequency: Every Tuesday & Thursday (except PH)
OR Every Monday & Wednesday (except PH)

Capacity: Max 2-5 participants per session

Time: 9.45am to 10.45am

Charges: $10 payable every session * 32 sessions
(10 cards per session)
$50 deposit for frame
(Refundable at 32th session)

[email protected]

LOGICO PICCOLO can help to improve children's
* Concentration and perception abilities
* Logical thinking and reasoning skills
* Spatial imagination and geometrical thinking skills
* English vocabularies and sentences structures familiarizing abilities
* Basic mathmatical concepts and operation skills
* Problem solving and ideas association skills

great idea, jojo!
happy.gif

I've always wanted to home school my children, like what alot of parents in Europe of US do, but no confidence lei... Scully teach wrongly? Or what if they grow up feeling isolated and no friends... Endless worries >
sad.gif

I'm trying to *hinthint* to my boy's form teacher to bring them for excursions more often like Science Centre, Omni Theatre, Singapore Arts Museum... I am a firm believer in holistic education. Contrary to what other people think, i believe holistic education builds stronger characters... :D

hi hi.. National Institute of Education-Singapore (NIE) is offering FREE Math Online Tutorials called “The Blending Assessment with Instruction Program (BAIP). It is a commercial program developed by researchers and Math experts in the University of Kansas in the United States and has been field tested over 239 mainstream school districts and 3,777 students with special needs in year 2009 within the United States.

BAIP is made powerful through (1) researched-based lessons for teachers, (2) instructional tutorials (text and animation versions) for students, (3) parent resources linked expressly to curriculum standards, and (4) eventual summative assessments used to monitor student achievement and management system.
Student skills BAIP addresses:
· Fundamentals
· Higher Order Thinking
· Reasoning
· Data Analysis
· Probability

The BAIP project will provide FREE ACCESS to its collection of online lessons, tutorials and parent activities in exchange for parents and teachers using BAIP. It also seeks to answer to whether hand how we can promote student achievement, learning attitudes, and parental support in mathematics. In exchange for helping us answer these questions, we pledge class collection of mathematical resources to you.

If you are interested in receiving free BAIP math online tutorials, please email [email protected] or call 8280-3608 (during office hours) today!

At this moment, I am guiding my child in her primary 5 Math at home, instead of going to Math enrichment class.

Are there any mummies self-teach their kids like myself?

I coach my kids EMS when they were in Primary school. I cant teach Chinese :(... Parents are best tutor/coach

Hi, are there any mummies self-teach their kids at hm instead of sending them to English n Maths enrichment classes?

Any advice of what I shld teach him from a start? I am afraid that I might be able to control my tempers when he don't....

Pls advice me. Thanks

I am a stay-home mom too!
But i send my kid for piano lessons near our home, since i do not know how to play the piano. Happy to have found his piano teacher at a good rate! I believe we must send our kids for piano, swimming, etc..

hi hi.. National Institute of Education-Singapore (NIE) is offering FREE Math Online Tutorials called “The Blending Assessment with Instruction Program (BAIP). It is a commercial program developed by researchers and Math experts in the University of Kansas in the United States and has been field tested over 239 mainstream school districts and 3,777 students with special needs in year 2009 within the United States.

BAIP is made powerful through (1) researched-based lessons for teachers, (2) instructional tutorials (text and animation versions) for students, (3) parent resources linked expressly to curriculum standards, and (4) eventual summative assessments used to monitor student achievement and management system.
Student skills BAIP addresses:
· Fundamentals
· Higher Order Thinking
· Reasoning
· Data Analysis
· Probability

The BAIP project will provide FREE ACCESS to its collection of online lessons, tutorials and parent activities in exchange for parents and teachers using BAIP. It also seeks to answer to whether hand how we can promote student achievement, learning attitudes, and parental support in mathematics. In exchange for helping us answer these questions, we pledge class collection of mathematical resources to you.

If you are interested in receiving free BAIP math online tutorials, please email [email protected] or call 8280-3608 (during office hours) today!

Is it still available?

I am a firm believer of self coaching for my kids since pre school. My son only started math intensive revision 5 mths b4 psle, the other subjects on his own. He is doing quite well so far.

My P4 girl started math tuition this yr n showed great improvement thereafter. Same thing, self study other subjects. She is given best in progress award recently.

My advice is to give lots of TLC n encouragement to our kids. Dun scold when they got poor results. Instead, keep assuring them they will improve one day :)

My nephew doesn't like tuition centre environment and we have limited time available to self teach, so we are exploring online tutoring to add on self teach. Yet to find out how effective though, but I recently joined an online education group in Facebook and get to know there's going to be an online tutoring service starting in Feb. Will explore for my nephew. If you are keen to explore for your kids, join the mailing list for the time being while waiting for the service to launch in Feb - http://onlinelearning.launchrock.com/

Just to share that my son did well, in top 10% PSLE cohort. Together with him, my girl also received Edusave Award last year.

I will continue with self-coaching for my kids :)

Hi Mummies!

Just thought of sharing this. Here is a fun storytelling workshop for your kids organised by National Library Board this weekend. They have many other workshops for children and even adults(Yes, parents can learn about storytelling to your kids too!). A fun way to cultivate interest in the language and also for your child to hone their oral presentation and public speaking skills, not to mention story structure development and creativity in writing. Do check it out!

http://www.nlb.gov.sg/golibrary/Programmes/Arts/60559/Little_Storytellers_Workshop_for_Children.aspx

Little Storytellers Workshop for Children

In this introductory workshop, children will learn storytelling techniques that make use of props, pictures and drawings to guide them on ways to sequence, visualize and remember stories! They will discover the importance of eye-contact, vocal expressiveness, facial expressions, hand gestures, body language and self-confidence. In the telling of stories in different ways and from different perspectives, our young tellers will discover how creative they can get!

This workshop is limited to children aged 7 years and above. Free admission with required registration. Should session be fully registered and you would like to be placed on the waitlist, please email [email protected]

Hello mummies, another fun event to bring your kids to :)
Take a breather with your children by going to the March Monster Mash at Gardens By The Bay, held from 13 to 22 March. There are quite a number of interesting activities involving Art and language. Some picks for language-related activities!

Interactive Storytelling: I'm A Fine Storyteller And So Are You!

14 - 15 Mar 2015, 21 - 22 Mar 2015 | 2:00 PM & 4:00 PM

Water Play Performance: Splash!
21 - 22 Mar 2015 | 11:00 AM & 5:00 PM

To find out more, check out the event link below, enjoy!

March Monster Mash Details

hello.Finderskeepers,
Thanks for news! My son's running a high fever and hopeful he'll recover soon so he could have chance to attend this event. It really sounds fun to me.

Have a great Sunday and a beautiful week ahead!:)

Believe in me, mom is the best teacher for children.
I myself have taught my girl since she was 3-4 year old but I can teach only math, native language, science, a bit English. Some other subjects such as piano, swimming, ... I cant
Will try till she go to secondary school.

One important thing is that you have to guide your children how to learn by themself. Read textbook - see sample then do exercise - all they themself have to do. At the beginning it may take you a lot of time. Practice little by little. Small easy quest (1-2 minutes) then harder.
Temper must be allways under control. How to do that?

- Identify clearly what you want to teach You should better have a plan, timeline for teaching
- Don't expect so much - lower you requirement. - little by little.
- Stop talking and go out for a while/have a short break to ease tension if you find your child become not understand what you said.
- Remember: Not too difficult but always a bit challange.

Hope that can help you mumies in teaching job ^_^

At this moment, I am guiding my child in her primary 5 Math at home, instead of going to Math enrichment class.

Are there any mummies self-teach their kids like myself?

Hi
I tutor my daughter since P1 at home too. Now she is in Sec 1 .
Teaching maths needs a lot patience and perseverance to make them understand fully each concept, especially in P6.
I would normally start with simple concepts first then gradually increase the difficulty level.
I used the assessment books from SAP publishers as they have clear concise explanations to each type of maths problems.
Perhaps you could get those for reference and teaching your child.
Once they are comfortable with each heuristics concepts, let them practice the past years papers to assess their understanding.
Its best to start tutoring earlier than what teachers teach them in school.
This way, your child will be comfortable and less stress once a new topic starts.
Remember to praise their good performance and give constructive feedback if things don't go as expected.
Hope this helps!!
Cheers ;)

I tutor my boy up to p2. Beyond that I find that pruning it out to a tuition teachers saves me from lots of arguments with him over what is right and what is wrong methods.

Hi mummies,

I tried teaching my son before, but after p4, i realise i am so put of touch with the syllabus that i had to find a tutor.

Luckily, I know of a tutor (my friends son) who teaches in marine terrace who teaches open classroom concept in his home at a fix rate regardless the number of times the child attend per month.

Basically the child is able to come every weekdays after school till 6pm (sometimes 6.30pm as I end work late) and mummies can pick their child home after that.

The rate is quite affordable (300 for pri level and 350 for sec level). For mummies who are interested, you can give him a try. He covers Math eng and sciences for primary and secondary levels.

Name: Mr Lee

Hi mummies, my boy is entering Secondary 3 next year. We just moved back to Singapore and I am afraid he will not be able to catch up in school. I am helping him in other subjects but for Mathematics we are both clueless. Any homeschool programme for bridging purposes to recommend?

Back