Any mummies earn extra by investing in Shares at home?

Hi Leng Leng,

Gold is definitely safer than stocks. It is often regard as a safe investment - and gold will often spike when stock market crashes, when people move their money from stock market to gold. And of course, the reverse is true. When markets do well gold price tend to drop.

The nominal historical gold price is not a good indication - the chart of stock and real estate are the same => long term up trend.

There are 2 issues here:

1.Gold
2.Genneva

Gold is definitely not a problem. I am concern with Genneva. Instead of investing with Genneva, why don't u setup a regular savings investment in gold with UOB or some reputable banks?

Hi michael,
no where else gives such simple transactions,
no where else gives such returance.
happy.gif

Where do you park your excess cash?
Can share your lorbang pls.
happy.gif

Hi Leng Leng,

I invest in berkshire hathaway.

another safe haven investment available in singapore only - CPF special account, guarantee 4% return p.a.

Hi michael,
can give more informations pls.
What's the risk?

Guarantee 4% return p.a.,
any minimum sum?

Thanks.
happy.gif

Hi all,
there's a Talk on Gold Trading on Tuesday 9th March 2010 7pm,
at Far East Tower.

Need to reserve seat for the Talk,
anyone keen, pls PM me your contact number & email address by Tuesday 12pm.
<font color="0000ff">Subject : Gold talk on 9th March 2010 - *your name*</font>

I'll forward your email to my friend.
happy.gif

Sorry no free dinner, it's a 1 hour intro. talk + Q&amp;A session.

PS: I'm not sure if I will be there, depends on my hubby.
happy.gif

Leng Leng,

The risk in CPF Special Account is in the event that Singapore Government goes bankrupt, you will get nothing.

No min sum whatsoever needed, only thing is u can only take them out during retirement. Just go to CPF website and do the transfer.

Hi michael,
I mean your berkshire hathaway investment lah.
I'm not working, so no CPF Contributions.
happy.gif

I don't think I'll live till retirement,
at the rate that the retirement age is getting higher...

Hi all,
I was at a goldsmith shop in Hougang on Monday,
Shop name is Ho Bee or Bee Ho... sorry I can't rem...
My Niece went to punch hole for earring...

The board rate for 999.9 gold is $61.50
Their 100g gold bullion is for sale at $6666.00,
Their calculation $61.50 x 100 x 1.07(GST) + $85.50 (workmanship) = $6666

Hi michael,
I think the company heard you...
They are reducing the discount rate woh...

Just got this email from my agent...

Sent: 10 March 2010 02: 01AM
To:
Hi All,

Thank you for your interest in buying gold with our company.

Pls note that the management has targeted to reduce the discount for 30days from 2% to 1.5% from 15 March 2010.
The discount rate will be reviewed by the company from time to tim.

To enjoy the offer of 2%, I will need a confirmation by 10 March Wednesday 5pm. So that I have time to order the gold on Thursday morning and deliver the gold to you on Friday.

The 2 options after 15 March are as follow.

Option 1)
Discount of 1.5% on purchase and return the gold pcs to me on 31th day for a full refund or renewal at then gold price.

Option 2)
Discount of 5% on purchase and return the gold pic to me on 91th day for a full refund or renewal at then gold price.

The current gold price is $64.5/g for 100g and below and $63.5/g for 1kg and above.
Check this site for the latest gold price. www.genneva.com.sg
Minimum per order is 100g.

If you have unwanted old gold and wish to convert to this scheme, let me know also.

Thank you and best regards,
LH

Hi Leng Leng,

Its very simple. Just tell your stock broker you want to trade in NYSE, he will tell you how.

Latest analyst report on Berkshire:

UPDATE 1-RESEARCH ALERT-KBW cuts Berkshire to market perform
Mon Mar 1, 2010 3:34am EST

Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
BRKA.N
$123,250.00
-340.00-0.28%
4:00am GMT+0800

Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
BRKB.N
$82.07
-0.40-0.49%
4:01am GMT+0800
March 1 (Reuters) - Keefe, Bruyette and Woods downgraded Berkshire Hathaway Inc (BRKa.N) by a notch from its top rating, citing valuation, and cut its price target by 7 percent to reflect softening underwriting environment and the ongoing economic weakness.

STOCKS | BONDS | FINANCIALS

KBW also lowered its earnings estimate on Warren Buffett's Berkshire to $4,694 per Class A share from $4,942 for 2010, and to $5,068 per Class A share from $5,337 for 2011, citing a weak outlook for the property and casualty insurance industry.

Analysts Cliff Gallant and Brett Shirreffs downgraded Berkshire Class A shares to "market perform" from "outperform," and cut their price target on the stock to $125,000 from $135,000.

Berkshire on Feb. 27 said its fourth-quarter profit surged, helped by derivatives bets tied to global stock markets, though operating profit fell 40 percent as the weakened economy weighed on several businesses. [ID:nN27176675]

"Going forward, we expect increasing pressure from a lengthening soft market and low fixed income yields," KBW analysts wrote in a note to clients.

They, however, expect Berkshire to produce impressive operating earnings growth in the longer term.

Berkshire Class A shares closed Friday at $119,800 and the Class B shares (BRKb.N) at $80.13 on the New York Stock Exchange. (Reporting by Tenzin Pema in Bangalore; Editing by Aradhana Aravindan)

Hi michael,
Looks like dropping?
I don't know any stock broker woh...

hehe... I'm buying another 200g of gold tomorrow.
happy.gif

http://www.asiaone.com/Business/News/My%2BMoney/Story/A1Story20090713-154348.html

A golden investment that sounds too good to be true

WHEN times are volatile and the economic cycle erratic, investors often turn to gold as a safe investment.

However, unscrupulous companies have now come up with very attractive ways to market gold in the form of coins or bars.

Read all the stories:
» Get-rich-quick schemes cause RM845m losses
» Losing all in get-rich schemes
What makes this type of investment attractive or seem safe is not just the returns but the fact that investors are holding on to gold.

Agents for this type of investment would point out that if or should the company go belly-up, the investors would still have their gold coins or bars in hand.

According to a source familiar with such schemes, the gold that was offered to investors was usually lower in value than claimed. He said most goldsmiths would not buy this gold as the purity of the metal was in question.

He added that this was akin to Ponzi schemes as the earlier investors would have a better deal than the ones who come in later.

Starprobe was alerted to a 'gold investment scheme' operated by Genneva Sdn Bhd, which was offering investors 50gm gold coins at RM6,500.

A member of the public said the company would pay investors 2.5% of the price of the gold coin and guarantee to buy back the coin at market value after a minimum holding time of one month.

'Initially investors were paid the 2.5% investment on a monthly basis but now it's every three months because the company claimed the amount of paperwork generated was a hassle,' she said.

'I was approached by one of their agents who claimed to have sold 3kg worth of coins for RM300,000. This was 'authenticated' by various photocopied documents,' she added.

Additionally, the company said the coins could be authenticated by Bank Rakyat and that investors could even pawn the coins to the bank at 65% of the value of the coin.

She also said an agent of the company had sent out an SMS with the message that the company was safe in the wake of the Bank Negara investigation into Bestino Group Bhd, a company dealing in gold bars that was being probed for illegal deposit-taking and issuance of redeemable preference shares.

'A check with the central bank's website did not reveal any information relating to the company,' she said.

A Bank Negara official however told Starprobe that Genneva was not licensed. He could not comment further as no complaint had been lodged against the company.

Bank Rakyat, when contacted, said it was not aware of the scheme.

'We've posted notices at all our branches and Ar-Rahnu X'Change that the bank is not involved,' said a Bank Rakyat official.

When contacted, a Genneva official questioned our reporter's credentials. The official also considered the complaints as not legitimate because they did not come from their clients.

'You're fishing in very deep waters,' he said before hanging up.

Hi michael,
I read that before,
like what yoongf posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 2:50 pm,
this is an even older news... From Malaysia...

The Goldbars that the Singapore company is offering is sealed Suisse Gold, there are some which is PAMP sealed,
these are internationally recognised.
Some are Indonesian Gold, also have UOB sealed ones... I haven't seen those yet.

The 3 pcs that I bought on the 1st March cost me $6400x0.98 = $6272 each,
the same thing is sold at Goldsmith at $6666 woh...

For the malaysia scam... this is not the end of the story yet.

Part 2,
the same people opens another company,
claims to be able to buy back all the Golds at 20% off,
but need 1 week to receive payments.
This guy took everyone's gold &amp; DISAPPEAR!

Those who falls into Part 2 trap,
ended up with NOTHING, not even the Gold.

Leng Leng: have u tried bring the gold that you bought to a goldsmith to see if they are willing to buy it back?

Hi michael,
yes lah, else I won't increase my purchase.
happy.gif

Sealed, don't even need to go thru those tests...

The pawnshop staff says, if not sealed,
need to go thru some water displacement test,
weight/volume test &amp; donno what electric test...

Oh yah... regarding the old news hor...

Last time when buying Gold from them,
we need to pay GST, e.g. $6400 x 0.98(2% discount) x 1.07 = $6711.04
Cost higher than Goldsmith, that's why Boh Hua...

Now no need to pay GST, so just pay $6400 x 0.98 = $6272,
cost is lower than Goldsmith price ($6666)
happy.gif

michael (mtyh),
why not let me show you my pieces,
you tell me.
happy.gif

Mine are Swiss Made sealed by PAMP (www.pamp.com),
each with a unique Certificate Number.

The Certificate Number is printed on the seal,
and embossed on the gold piece.

Hi Leng Leng,

I am still replying to this thread because I am rather familiar with the investment world and am very confident that the company will fold one day.

However, my opinion could be wrong as no one can accurately predict the future.

One last post, which is rather insightful, copied from one of the reader of lioninvestor's blog. After this, I shall rest my case.

TO ALL WHO WANT TO JOIN GV or Similiar Company please read below……u will know better and GV is very similiar to SUNSHINE EMPIRE who is in deep trouble now…..

2% Reply:
October 28th, 2009 at 11:44 am

hi Intheknow…..

GV case study;

investor get 2 to 2.5% return
agent commission and manager overriding 1.3%
assuming company overhead and operating cost at 1% only
and GV just take a 1% commission for trading
so total will be 5.8%

case study…
1. assuming a person invest $100K into GV
2. GV got to purchase $80K value of Gold and give to that particular investor
3. GV only left $20K behind to invest
4. GV got to generate 5.8% or $5,800 of the $100K invested but as shown above GV only have 20K to trade
5. so the actual return on investment will be $5,800 over the $20K left behind = 29% per month
6. sunshine is in trouble as the prosecutor mentioned that the company need to generate more than 300% of profit yearly
7. GV need to generate 29% x 12 = 348% of return yearly and this calculation did not include the compounded interest effect

so it is not 30-40% ROI yearly is 348% return yearly, again as mentioned GOLD is just a smoke bomb……if u remove away the GOLD element GV can simply collect 20k instead of 100k but by bundle with gold it make people feel safe and good.

GV got to generate a RETURN OF “348% YEARLY”……and is GUARANTEE……..

if CAD investigated sunshine empire cause the company need to generate 300+% return yearly, i dont see why CAD do nothing on GV……

Hi michael,
The above is too complicated for me lah...
happy.gif

From what I know, the figures from the poster is either "old news" or all incorrect leh...

Morever for 2, I don't think GV only left $20K to invest.
When purchasing in large QTY, PLUS, buy at low time, sell at high time... it SHOULD BE higher than just 20%.
I think even layman knows buy low, sell high woh...

BUT by the fact that what I bought is already lower cost than from regular goldsmith shop,
the fact is quite clear... they are not selling at sky high price.
So, even if the company folds, I still have my physical gold pieces with me,
just keep for 20 years &amp; give to my kids as dowry when they get marry.
happy.gif

BTW, I went to another goldsmith shop at East Point last Friday,
they are selling the 100G ingot at SG$6668

Leng Leng
happy.gif

Hi michael,
I questioned my agent on your posting, this is his reply;

===================================================
Hi Leng Leng,

My take from this is sure.

All companies will fold in time to come, some may take 1yr and others may take 100 yrs.

In the case of GV, we are buying Gold from the company, not investing in it, even if it closed down, we keep the physical gold.

In the case of the other company, they are not selling Gold.

Thanks.
===================================================

Hi Leng Leng,

You may want to share this link with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Empire

This Sunshine Empire is a investment company and people invest fund in it.

People do not get any Gold or physical value in return but a promised of future return that do not happen.

We are in Gold selling business and a special buy back from 31 to 37 days with discount.

Thanks.

Hi Leng Leng,

The agent did not answer the question. Let me simplify my earlier post.

Instead of getting $20 from the investor, GV gets $100 from the investor, and return $80 to the investor in the form of gold. With the gold in hand, investor feels safe.

The big question is, how does GV make money ? They take your money and buy more gold ? Does this mean that you can profit from keep buying gold?

Put yourself in GV's shoe, would you do what they are doing?

Ok here's how investment work:

Investment manager takes $100 from you, promise to earn say $10 a year for you. The investment manager makes $22 per year, keeps $12 and pays you $10.

In GV's case, lets say GV buys the gold at $80 and price it at $100 (markup $20)

They sell to you at 2% discount at $98. One month later u can sell back to them at $100.

This leaves them with the cash of $18 ($98 - $80).
- To pay you back, they need to make $2
- To pay the agent, they need to make $1.3
- To pay the office rent, admin staff etc, lets say they need to make $1

so they need to make $2 + $1.3 + $1 = $4.3 dollar with $18. That is close to 24% return per month or 286% per year.

No one has ever achieve that consistently. Not even Berkshire Hathaway.

Hi michael,
that's the 2% I had been receiving for months!

But what makes you think they bought at $80?
They may have bought it when price is lower, much lower, that makes more sence.

GV is not an investment company, I am "trading" as in buy &amp; sell-back,
in the case if they close down, I'll keep the gold.
Which the gold, is not of lower value than market value,
so where's the risk?
Unless gold price slump?

BTW, the agent fee is not 1.3%, not so high lah,
I donno where you get that figure from.
happy.gif

Maybe you should talk to my agent, I'm not good with such complicated debate.
happy.gif

Hi Leng Leng,

Lets say they buy the gold at $60, and the agent gets nothing, and rental and other cost are free. A simple mental calculation suggest that the return is still enormously high at 48% p.a.

Yes you have been receiving 2% - Sunshine Empire's customer has been getting the returns for a long while before they close down.

An unlucky person will be holding on to the gold when GV decided to close down.

The risk - you wouldn't have bought so much gold if not for the 2% return right? What are u going to do with lots of gold in your hand when they disappear?

The case is very clear to me, need not talk to your agent.

Hi michael,
for Sunshine Empire's customer,
they lost EVERYTHING... not even a paper...

2% a month, after 10 mths, it's risk-free already,
I can sell off &amp; the amount + my earnings is more than my capital.

<font color="0077aa">What are u going to do with lots of gold in your hand when they disappear?</font>
Keep for my kids &amp; daughter's dowry.
happy.gif

That's what my mum did for me.

Just my opinion and no offend:

24% pa return with risk free is far too attractive to believe. Someone definetly will have to bore the risk one day...

IF this is true, all the unit trust fund manager can shake leg and put all their fund with GV. It is even better, one can get OCBC creditlink at <10%>10% return....too good to be true. IF this is really true, I want to retire and sell all my stock and invest in GV fr a risk free 24% or 18% return

Hi Merz,
the risk is, if the company folds, you'll be left with the gold.
If you are ok with being Gold Rich, it's fine. (like me!)

Never borrow to invest, personally I think that's the worst decision anyone can make.
So many got their fingers burnt from contra-trading.

unit trust fund managers wants to make more than 24% PA,
that's why they will not purchase from GV.

There are some who'll only buy gold from GV once a year,
around CNY time when their promotion discount is 2.5% off,
for that 1 month, they'll earn about 3 years of bank interest.
Funny, but true.
happy.gif

anyway, i would just want to know the way how the company making their profit. Otherwise i won't make the investment without knowing how the company its own to make the profit. U know its important to know how the company making their profit. Don't tell me something like "don't care how the company make the profit" bla bla bla....

Hi Cooller,
Genneva is not a investment company,
it's a trading company,
they sell you the gold, with a buy-back option.

There are many who bought &amp; never return them the money.

I don't own this company, don't work for them, don't have shares with them.

If you want to know more, maybe you can contact them &amp; ask?
happy.gif

that's not a good answer.... i need to details of how the company making their profit. that's all. there may have few ways to make their profit.How?

Hi Cooller,
I think it's better for you to contact them directly for this answer,
I don't own this company, don't work for them, don't have shares with them,
I don't have the informations you need,
this is their website;
http://www.genneva.com.sg/

HTHs.
happy.gif

PS: Very funny, you create this new nickname just to question me???

Hi JY (lulu123),
CONGRATS to you!,
everyone thought it's a scam.
How long have you been trading?
Is your agent serving you well?

Hi baobeixuan (jyeo48),
I think going to be a year already,
I earn 2% a month.
Actual amount cannot tell you lah... hehe..
happy.gif

Mommies, just a word of caution, when something seems too good to be true, it probably isn't true....

Have seen for myself how pple get cheated when they hanker after the unbelieveable returns...

Risk versus rewards... Fundamental investment theory, the higher the returns, the higher your risk....

Remember, your money in fixed deposit is ALMOST risk free and pays out less than 1% a year....imagine what kind of risk you are taking for earning 24% a year...?

How can you invest in something which you do not know how the company make their money?

Sorry but just hope mommies are cautious......

Santorini,
I'm still getting my monthly payout woh...
Actually 3 pieces have break-even already.
happy.gif

FYI,
our savings in the bank are guaranteed by our government,
I was told $20K per person.
But till end of this year only, after that we're on our own.

I found this article;
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iMmjxdGl3jX4odNjRgXQr_TBHMeQ

Singapore to guarantee all bank deposits till end-2010
(AFP) – Oct 16, 2008

SINGAPORE (AFP) — Singapore on Thursday set aside 150 billion dollars (101 billion US) to guarantee all bank deposits in the city-state until the end of 2010, but insisted the banking system here remains sound.

Authorities said they had taken the move -- which followed similar action in Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand and several European countries -- to "ensure a level international playing field" for local banks.

The government will "guarantee all Singapore dollar and foreign currency deposits of individual and non-bank customers in banks, finance companies and merchant banks licensed by the MAS," the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and the finance ministry said in a joint statement.

They said the guarantee would take immediate effect and will remain in place until December 31, 2010.

Since Singapore's financial sector is "sound and robust", authorities determined a guarantee of up to 150 billion dollars "will be well in excess of possible liabilities arising from the failure of any financial institutions."

Under an existing scheme, deposits were ensured for up to 20,000 dollars.

Singapore, like Hong Kong, is a regional financial centre and one Singapore-based bank, DBS, is Southeast Asia's largest lender.

"The announcement by a few jurisdictions in the region of government guarantees for bank deposits has set off a dynamic that puts pressure on other jurisdictions to respond or else risk disadvantaging and potentially weakening their own financial institutions and financial sectors," the Singapore statement said.

"The government has decided to take precautionary action to avoid an erosion of banks' deposit base and ensure a level international playing field for banks in Singapore."

Hong Kong on Tuesday said it would guarantee all bank deposits and set up an emergency capital fund for the city's banking industry, but insisted the sector remained stable despite global turmoil.

Financial secretary John Tsang said that retail deposits in the Chinese territory would be fully guaranteed until 2010, following similar moves by other governments.

Authorities around the world have been scrambling to shore up public confidence in the global financial system by nationalising banks, guaranteeing deposits and putting together massive bank bailout packages.

European Union nations have already committed more than 1.8 trillion euros (2.4 trillion US dollars) to fighting the crisis by buying bank shares and providing loan guarantees to keep credit markets moving.

The United States has a 700 billion dollar rescue plan, and the Bush administration announced Tuesday that 250 billion dollars from that would be used to take stakes in nine major banks.

"Singapore has not had to undertake similar extraordinary measures, in view of the continuing stability and orderly functioning of the Singapore banking system," the statement said.

Financial institutions in Singapore are required by MAS to have assets exceeding their liabilities by "an appropriate margin" and must meet other stringent regulations, the statement said.

The Government of Singapore Investment Corp (GIC), one of the world's largest sovereign wealth funds, has invested billions of dollars in global financial institutions that have fallen victim to the international crisis.

Lengleng,

The banks in Singapore are very stable, which is why I said your deposits are Almost risk free... The risks are still there but small... And see they only pay out 1% interest per year...

I know that you are still receiving payouts... These high yield investment plans or HYIP which they are often called will collapse after a while, when the size of it hits very huge... They do not collapse very soon because their aim is to swindle the most money they can...

What they do is, they offer attractive yield, you put in $100, eg... You get your $2 every month... Then you tell your friends about it.... Your friends see that yeah Lengleng gets paid so it's a safe investment.... So they also put money in... What you don't see is that where this $2 come from? How did the company earn this $2 to pay you ? Buying gold at low price and sell at high price? No... They got the $2 from your friend who invested with them....

Most people get burnt with HYIP because their greed gets the better of them... They see the good returns they get... And they invest more money increasingly... And when it finally collapse they will lose original capital, all profits and more.,,,

Back