Any Mommies keeping their Placenta?

jt_junior

Hi Mommies, anyone keeping placenta after birth? I heard that some mommies send it to Chinese Medical Halls to dry the placenta, grind into powder and put into capsules and consume.. any idea on the charges??

I'll be interested to know too. For my first one, I got my mum to do the job of cleansing and baking the placenta till it's dried, grinding, and putting in the capsules for me. I took the capsules faithfully for a few months, before I got sian and didn't take anymore (oops!). Not sure if it worked or not, but I don't recall having much post natal depression. Still have the hormonal ups and downs, but I have a feeling that it would be worse if not for the pills.

Hope to consume the placenta in some form again for my 2nd (still TTC), but my mum already told me that she was so grossed out from handling my placenta the first time (she nearly puked while washing it), she won't be doing it again. I don't blame her, cos it's a really gross job! So if can outsource, I won't mind paying, cos there are really a lot of benefits of eating the placenta.

Heard some mummies actually blend the raw form into smoothies. Fast and simple, but the gross factor is... ahem.... don't think i'll dare to try that. :eek:

The charges varies between 300 to 350 depending who you engage, when you engage and how it is collected/delivered..

Depending which one you engage, you might want to book first cos I remember at least one of them only accept a few bookings a month cos they can only process 1 placenta at a time. Just make sure you do your homework and make the necessary preparations. :)

Depending which one you engage, you might want to book first cos I remember at least one of them only accept a few bookings a month cos they can only process 1 placenta at a time. Just make sure you do your homework and make the necessary preparations. :)
Totally agree! I think dome even have surcharge for booking with them last minute.. ie 24hrs before collection..

becoz i will due in mid Jan. But im considering to deliver in Dec. So probably in Oct or Nov den i will decide. Anyway most of them charging $300. keeping my fingers crossed that they wun increase the price.. hee..

just a little curious here.

are we allowed to take the placenta away just like that?

will there be charges over at the hospital?

Has anyone engaged any of the above 3 companies' services and your feedback? I am particularly concerned about the hygiene involved and if there is any measures they take to make sure we take back our own placenta.

if u deliver in the hospital, just need to tell ur gynae that someone will be collecting.. n before u deliver, contact the person to collect.. hospital will keep for u..

Snow19, it has numerous benefits, such as balancing your hormones so that you are less likely to get postnatal depression, and increasing breastmilk. There are other benefits I believe, which you can easily google on, but to me, these 2 reasons are enough for me to go ahead with consuming my placenta.

Dion83sg,

I m planning to engage A Caring Mum for their service. Had already placed deposit & my edd is in mid march. So far their responses r v prompt.

Dear all, I had emailed to Heavenly Health Store and Acaringmum and these are their replies. Hope it helps.

Heavenly Health Store (single birth only)
Normal Package:
- same day collection if you gave birth by 6pm.
- collect within 3 hours after we receive your ward number.
- $300 (for early bird who has placed deposit 48 hours before collection)
- $350 (for customers without prior booking)
24 hours Package:
- stand by 24 hours.
- collect within 3 hours after we receive your ward number.
- $400 (for early bird who has placed deposit 48 hours before collection)
- $450 (for customers without prior booking for this 24 hours package)(subject to availability)
For customers who have booked our normal package but want us to make a last minute collection after normal collection hours, it will cost $150 extra and subject to availability.
DEPOSIT:
We do require a $50 deposit so that we can block the date for you. You may choose to transfer the full amount first or pay the balance of $250 when we collect the placenta. We do require full payment before we can start processing.
OUR SERVICES:
1. We will collect the placenta from you (either from your hospital or your home). We will come within 3 hours after we receive your ward number.
2. Your placenta with be placed in an ice box during the transportation to keep it chilled. This is important to ensure the placenta does not turn bad during transportation.
3. We will clean the placenta and place it in our special dryer as soon as possible. This process has to be done quickly to ensure the placenta stays fresh until it is dried.
4. Our special dryer ensures that the placenta has minimal contact with the outside environment and is dried thoroughly without extreme heat.
5. We will only grind and encapsulate the placenta when it is completely dried. Only one placenta is processed at a time. Trust us, we will never short cut this process.
6. Finally, your placenta capsules will be delivered right to your door step. But if you prefer to pick it up on your own, let us know.

My queries to them:
1. I am opting for natural birth, and thus would not know if I would give birth before or after 6pm, weekdays/weekends/PH. Which package should I choose- Normal or 24hrs package?
2. Is this capsule only suitable for mother or the father can consume as well?
3. How often and how many should it be taken? Daily?

Their reply:
For a complete peace of mind, you can consider our 24 hours package. That means we will collect anytime within 3 hours we are informed of your ward number after you have given birth.
For customers who had placed deposit for normal package:
If baby is delivered by 6 pm, collection is on the same day with 3 hours we are informed of your ward. You don't need to prepare anything for the 3 hours. We will come ready with ice and ice box. Your placenta will be good in an air-conditioned environment. Extra storage is optional. It's not required. If you want to be extra careful, you can prepare an ice bag with ice.
However, delivery after 6pm will be collected the next morning. We start work at 8am, will reach you before 9am.
You need to prepare ice box and sufficient ice to store the placenta below 3°C.
Hospital usually cannot keep the placenta for you unless your ward comes with refrigerator.
For customers who have booked our normal package but want us to make a last minute collection after normal collection hours, it will cost $150 extra and subject to availability.
----------------------------------------------
There is no extra charge for weekends and public holidays.
Some customers make the capsules for their other children, mother in law, family members and even friends.
You can take 1-2 capsules daily.

Reply from Acaringmum:

- Are you doing it freelance or is this a TCM?
This is a freelance but my fil is a tcm practitioner
- Procedure (where would the process be done- home, lab, etc? I am concerned on the hygiene and cleanliness)
Its done at home but with labs standards. We use all disposables and gloves etc.
- Time needed
It will take 3-5 days
- Cost involved (any extra surcharge, deposit- refundable if I change my mind before birth?)
$300 nett if you book in advance. If you deliver within a week of booking there will be a $20 surchange. The deposit is strictly non refundable. There will be $88 surcharge if you deliver within first 4 days of chinese new year including new year eve.
- Benefits of eating it
Benefits of Placenta Capsules
The known ingredients that give the placenta its healing properties are:
Gonadotrophin: the precursor to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone,
Prolactin: promotes lactation,
Oxytocin: for pain and bonding; produced during breastfeeding to facilitate bonding of mother and infant. In pharmaceutical form this is a very addictive drug because it promotes a feeling of connectedness with others,
Thyroid stimulating hormone: boosts energy and helps recovery from stressful events,
Cortisone: combats stress and unlocks energy stores,
Interferon: stimulates the immune system to protect against infections,
Prostaglandins: anti-inflammatory,
Hemoglobin: replenishes iron deficiency and anemia, a common postpartum condition,
Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing,
Gammaglobulin: immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections.

- How popular is this?
Its getting popular now that people know about it. I cant tell you how popular it is but every year there is an increase in customers when they know about it
- I have thyroid problem, do you think it is advisable to consume the placenta?
Its best that you consult your gynae regarding this issue. I found a link that you might be keen in reading about this issue:http://community.babycenter.com/post/a36769444/anyone_with_thyroid_issues_taken_placenta_pills

I hv engaged Acaringmom.. taken e capsules for a few days jus like taking pills. Onli tt have no taste.. but my milk is producing slightly more than before taking. Will monitor for few more days.. but im still as tired probably becox I look aft my baby at nite..

Hi, I was very interested in this but had decided to give it a miss. I have thyroid problems and realised that the placenta contains Thyroid stimulating hormone which might bring more harm to my existing thyroid problems. I had asked my gynea and he seemed unaware of such thing. Can anyone help me to ask their gynea if I could consume it if I have Hyperthyroidism? Thanks alot.

Can any mummies feedback about the placenta encapsulation services?

Is it safe ?
How can we assure if it's hygiene and it's our placenta that we are getting back?
Is there a possibility of them misusing it n replacing with other herbal medication?

Heard pills ain't that effective as injection but injection are banned in sg when I last heard.

Pls share feedback :)

Can any mummies feedback about the placenta encapsulation services?

Is it safe ?
How can we assure if it's hygiene and it's our placenta that we are getting back?
Is there a possibility of them misusing it n replacing with other herbal medication?

Heard pills ain't that effective as injection but injection are banned in sg when I last heard.

Pls share feedback :)

Hi applemilk,

I tried it after my first child. Got inthewomb to make it into capsules for me. My milk production increased after consuming for a week and I felt more energetic. My confinement lady commented tt I was very awake and energetic for someone in confinement. I'm not sure if it is really my placenta tt I'm eating but I guess have to trust them. :)

Hi all, I juz engaged with HeavenlyHealthstore. So far they are quite efficient. Have not receive the pills yet cos I just gave birth afew days ago. My hub told me the guy came pretty fast after my hub called to inform him my ward. Juz remember to bring ur own cooler bag cos the hospital charges me for that. Hope it helps...

i also used heavenly halth store. i only called them when i was in labour ncoz last min my mum insisted i do it. we gave hi esimation time and i delivered near that timing. he came in 40 mins to ocme collect and i got the pills delivered to my house in the first week. i took it for 3m+

i think its good.
its my first child so i cant compare but i had alot of milk adn i felt like i nvr gave birth.

I didnt took it when I had my first kid.. breastmilk was super little! maybe I should give it a try for my 2nd kid..
thanks for e info!!!!

i heard my mum saying that eating will help the body to "recover" faster from delivery but then she never tried it before also. How many capsules are there usually ?

Had the pills for 3 days.

Attachments

• 1407471525678.jpg
    1407471525678.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 568
I'm seriously considering this now after being grossed out for a while. Any mummies who tried for 1 pregnancy but not another and felt the benefits or no difference? Hope to hear from you!

Hi all,

I've tried with my #2 and now my #3, with heavenly health store. Wanted to do it when I had my #1 5 yrs ago but it was rare then, had to DIY. So when i had my #2 3 yrs ago, I chanced upon heavenly and did it. The huge diff I felt was, I had enuf milk during my #1, but not excessive. But wif my #2, I had excessive milk till I donated 100+ packs away, fed my #1 n #2, yet had extra that I bgt a small freezer just for the EBM.

In addition I also lost wt very quickly. It may be attributed partly to the stress of running my own business plus having a newborn n a toddler. But I felt it was mostly due to the placenta pills.

Now I just gave birth to my 3rd 2 months ago n of cuz went for it again. But this time I felt there was more than enough milk but not as excessive as previous. I'm not sure if it's just cuz only 2 mths into it or maybe getting on with age, so lesser milk. But still managed to freeze some for just-in-cases, and give some to my #1 n #2.

I paid $300 and inform them of the date of my delivery since it was c sect. Had to inform my gynae way before that I'm collecting back my placenta and had to sign documents in the OT before the op. Afterwhich they will pass to my husband who kept in the fridge in my ward as I stayed in single ward. My husband will inform them I've delivered and my ward no and they turned up promptly to collect. 2 days after discharge they sent it to my house.

Hope this helps for those who are considering.

Hi all,

Where do you buy the stuff needed to keep the placenta until it is for collection? As in the cooler bags and all. Is it supposed to be placed in a "Zip Lock" bag or something like that, then put it in an insulated bag with ice/ice packs?

Back