Any comments on Ascension Kindergarten?

Its a good kindergarten. My kids are there. You can PM me if you would like to know more.

Hi all,
Appreciate your comments on ascension kindergarden. Is it gd? I am intending to put my boy there next year.

Hi Bless,

Have you sign up for Ascension Kindergarten? Would like to know if we can still sign up after the registration closed, read that their registration period is around the first half of the year...

Thks!

hi sun.. guess still can la.. got biz who doesnt want right.. but if full then guess will be on waiting list.. heard reg period is around apr/may

hi everyone, I am also planning to send my boy to ascension kindergarten too. He will be 30 months come Jan 2009, so I am a little confuse if I should send him to N1 in 2009 or 2010.

Anyway, I think registration is close already...

Hope to hear from you all about the school. Hubby is from SA, so its a very early start for my son to follow in his father's footsteps
happy.gif

Hi Bitzer,

Your boy is a 2006 baby I guess. He should be in N1 2009. As long as there are places, you may register but N1 is full I believe for both sessions in 2009. If not, wait for April and register for N2 next year. Chances maybe better coz 4 classes instead of N1 3 classes only.

Oh Ascension is not affiliated to SAJS. But since your hubbby was from there, no issue.

Hi,
My son is borned in 2006.
I am keen to send him to Ascension Kindergarten.
Anyone has the school website? and if my son attend Ascension Kindergarten, is there a better chance to enrol into SA?

Hi,

I finally understand why it is so difficult to get review of this school.

The school is quite enclosed. You cannot see what activities that they are doing.

If you sneak in during middle of the session, soon someone will send you out to the gate. Asking you not to worry.

You cannot see or hear what they are teaching.
You also cannot see what they are eating.

Basically it is almost impossible to give a feedback of this school!!!

I was there for past 2-3 weeks and this is my conclusion!

Cheers, Zenn

Hi Bless,

do they allow you to be with your daughter for the first few days?

Understand that some kids need some times to adapt to school especially this is their first time 'at school' by themselves, my boy will be next year :)

Thks!

Hi Summer,

Thanks for your message. Sorry for such a late reply.

Yes, I think I've missed the window for N1 2009. Will aim for N2 2010.

Agree that its hard to get review from the school. But, I have met people who had gone there. I know, its years and years ago, but somehow, they all the have the same "pattern" - nice, confident people, who are doing well for themselves, in their respective fields.

I guess, if we want to prepare our kids for life, then ascension seems like a good starting place, if we take the above in consideration.

happy.gif

Hi Mummies
My boy is at Ascension Kindergarten.

They allow the parents to be there on the first few days. Hb/I only went on first day, as my boy is 5 yrs old. We have switched him from another place. All the while, he had no problem going to a new school at all, so we were not worried. True enough, he is happy.

Re worksheets, they only return end of the term.

We have very good vibes when we were there for orientation.. and on the first day, they started by singing praise songs. My hb used to be from there too!! haha...

I can't rmbr when they started the registration, can call up and ask.
Wl be sending my gals there next year.

oscar
Didn't realise I put the link without the .sg, I had used the correct link but forgot the .sg.... hahaha

ashmom
Thanx for info.

bitzer
Kids can go on school bus. They wl get the response slips all those who need the bus and then plan out the route. But depending on where / which area you are from, your kid may end up hving to endure a long bus ride....

Hi Bitzer,

Registration for N2 will be in April. They do allow parents to go for a few days but not 2-3 weeks. My experience: My girl started N1 3weeks ago. She was doing well. It was only when kids who has no sibilings in the school started coming in then her anxiety started. All the parents of those new students were in the classrooms and outside the classrooms. I guess she was afraid coz she must be thinking how come my mummy is not there.I understand that parents are also worried esp. if its their 1st born going to school for the first time. But I guess as parents we need to trust the teachers and allow them to do their job. Afterall teachers in Ascension has been there ages for quite a few of them. I believe this is why they are strict with parents "hanging" around in school. Its also easier for them to settle in.

As for snack time, they usually have bread or biscuits if they are in the morning session. Either milo or water is given to them. I ask my girl and she told me she had milo. I checked with her teacher later and yes its true!! You can easily ask the teacher. In fact, I think orientation, there is a small piece of paper given in a folder and it states what is given to the kids.

Teachers in Ascension are very "open". You may ask them questions and they are more than happy to talk to you. Worksheets are given back each term.

Hi Summer,

Thank you for the information.

And I really agree with your philosophy about trusting teachers. Of course, we also need to do our homework about respective kindies, schools etc. But once the choice is made, and the child is settled, its time for the teachers to do their job
happy.gif

Incidentally, registration for 2010 starts on 14 and 16 April 2009. the website has updated the information.

Cheers!

Hi,

Honestly I don't believe in "blind trust".

Once a while, you need to check your child behaviour at home, as well as in school.

To be able to look at them from far, within the school, is important for me to observe once a while...(5 mins, not the whole day lah)

Getting feedback from teachers is important.
What you see for yourselves, is the MOST reliable.

Good school does not guarantee to have all good teachers.
We need to be extra careful with our little ones.
They are our TOTAL responsibilities.

Nice sharing.

Cheers, Zenn

Hi Zenn,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts.

Actually, I completely agree with you that our little ones are our total responsibilities. That it why, I have switched to part time work, working from home, so that I can raise my son. Particularly so, during his formative, pre-school years.

I know i am very lucky to be able to make this decision without any major sacrifices on my family. Bathing him, feeding him, cleaning him when he poops, etc, all the mundane things plus the precious moments when we talk and cuddle, I get a good glimpse of his emerging personality, and his potential.

And so, to answer your points in your post, I am wholly aware of the importance of matching my son's needs and potential to any school or classes. And yes, it is definitely important to monitor and check their progress and environment. However, I do believe in letting teachers also worked unhindered from excessive pressure from parents ( please, not at all suggesting that you are that sort!). I come from a family of teachers, ( not one myself
happy.gif
), and so I do know the other side of the fence.

My son will start his n1 this friday at another place, ( aim for ascension in 2010), and actually, while I breezily say bye to him when I drop him off with his teachers, you know, and I know, that I will be really peeking in at him from the observation window to see if he misses mommy or if he is comfy with his new teachers. His play group requires mummy or caregivers to attend, so this is a significant step for the little guy.

Thank you once again for your comments. Hope to learn more from you.

Cheers
happy.gif

Hi mummies
I'll like to share my recent experience with Ascension (at Potong Pasir one). I switched my boy to attend AScension from NTUC cos' it's nearer to my hse. He started on 2 March, N1 class and i must say I was quite disappointed with the teachers there.

I accompanied him on the first day and the teachers didnt really try to include him in the activities at all. THey assumed that cos' I was there, I could 'take' care of him. Also, they prefer that someone be there for 2-3 weeks to accompany him until he get used to the environment! The environment there seemed really inflexible.

And I've withdrawn my son from there starting on Tue cos' he refused to enter the classroom at all and had nightmares at night. Although he attended 2 days of class, they are still charging me for the whole month fees!

Sigh man.. really regret choosing this childcare. Didnt mean to scare anyone off here but really just wanted to vent my frustrations.

Hi rojakz

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope your son is no longer suffering from nightmares.

If you don't mind, can you tell us a bit more about the teachers and their lack of efforts. PM me, if you feel more comfortable that way.

Perhaps your son really misses his NTUC classmates and environment, and hence he is taking longer to adjust to a new environment?That he suffered from nightmares means he is very affected by something.

Where do you intend to send him next?

Cheers
happy.gif

BS S
I think you should allow more time for your child to adapt bah, don't think you can expect a child to so quickly feel at ease in a new environment.

IF you had any concern, perhaps you should hv brot it up to the teachers first instead of withdrawing him imdtly.

Do not understand what you mean by 'inflexible'... if you meant that the teachers are inflexible, I suppose they also need to adhere to some structure since they hv many kids there.
Just my opinion ...

Hi StyloBB, no worries. We're all exchanging ideas and opinions here. I guess when I meant by inflexible is that the teachers rather keep my son away from the whole class so that he wont disrupt them. There was also another gal who started the same day as my boy. She was left alone most of the time to wander around and play by herself. Only occassionally would one of the teacher play with her and sit with her.

On a positive point, yes, it means instilling discipline but it seems rather cold and inflexible to me. I may have limited experience with childcares but at least, the teachers should try and talk to my son and engage him a bit. The teachers are also quite mature so i think they prefer the kids to more subdued, quiet etc.

I did actually plan for 1-2 weeks adjustment period. But seeing the teachers like that and my son not even willing to stay in the classroom, I think i am better off withdrawing him.

All that aside, although the school may not fit my needs and preferences, it may be suitable for another mummy here. One thing that I noticed though, all the kids at my son's N1 class are all toilet trained!

Hi Bitzer, I will probably be sending him back to NTUC cos' something happened in my family and there's no one to take care of him currently. And cos' they are claiming me for the full month's school subsidy from the govt, I have to fork out for the full month fees at NTUC as well. Guess it's an expensive lesson learnt lah.

Hi BS S,

My girl also refused to go into the school and had nightmares for 1.5 months.
Now in March, she is better...means she does not cry anymore when we said we want to bring her to school.

Still once or twice a week, she will tell us she does not want to go to school. Not sure why...as it is so enclosed, I am unable to stay for long to see how the class was conducted. Or what makes her does not want to go to school.

I am still monitoring, but I realised she is more easily frustrated. I guess it maybe due to alot of waiting time in school.
Such as waiting to wash hands, waiting for others to finish snack before next activities, waiting for teacher's instruction, etc.

She is in N2, total of 20 students, so you imagine the TOTAL waiting time for a little girl.

After washing hands, they are supposed to sit on bench and wait for other students.

After eating snack, they are supposed to sit on their own chair and wait for other students.

Once after eating, my girl moved out of her chair to read a book nearby. One teacher just took away her book and put her back on her chair, without giving her anything to do. JUST WAITING BLANKLY ONLY.

I think sometimes school will KILL the initiative and creativity of childrens.

I understand that no school is prefect and most schools are short of man-power. I cannot be sure if other schools will be better, as I do not want to try it all. Cos my girl is those hard to adjust to new enviornment type.

Also, I seriously think it is UNFAIR for them to charge you full month fee. Some schools or centres I heard have 2 weeks trial period.
You should again talk to the Principal about it, or log a case with MOE.
Cos $650++ for 8 weeks is not a small amount, especially in a economic like this, when anyone can be jobless at anytime.

Thanks for sharing your experience here.
I will take note about it.

Hi styloBB,

I do agree that some teachers can be 'inflexible' at Ascension.

Especially when come to "optional activities" when you have to pay MONEY to join it.
They will tell you, if your child don't join, what is she going to do?
The teacher in charge will be over-seeing the children in the "optional activities", so your child will just sit there and watch!

I have not spoken to the principal yet.
I will make sure my kid DO NOT just sit there and watch.

They can be flexible to put her in another class for the time being or let her read a book with some music ON. Don't tell the whole school has no other helpers or teachers that are available for 30mins!!!

Since "optional activities" will start in end March, I have not voice my opinions to the school yet.
Will wait and see.

Cheers, Zenn

Hi,

My girl was born in Jun 07, and I'm thinking of enrolling her into Acension's N1 since it's near my in-laws' place. May have missed it in the exchanges above, but when is the registration? Also, how is the school in terms of cleanliness (HFMD) and ability to develop children's intelligence and capabilities?

Hi Bless
after this experience, I realised that my boy is also those kind-of-hard to adjust one. But I do realise that he can be coaxed to adjusting esp when there are other kids involved. Just need to distract him a bit from the fact that mummy & daddy are going to work etc. In fact, my son loves to play with other children!

Hmm.. thinking back on the morning that i spent there, i think you're right to say that the kids have a lot of waiting to do. Did you spend time with her when she first started?

As for the teachers there, do you notice that early in the morning when you drop off your child, there's only one teacher? The other teacher for that class comes in at about 10am. At least the N1 class that I saw was like that. Perhaps that;s why maybe they may be 'short-handed' in that sense.

Hi MamaMag,
I am referring to the Kindercare at Potong Pasir. But they have N2-K2 classes there as well.

Hi All,

I am referring to Ascension Kindergarten, NOT kindercare.

Optional activities is Gymnastics.

For Ascension Kindergarten, N2 level, 1 teacher will handle 18-22 students. Another chinese language teacher will comes in abt 10am, you are right.

Cheers, Zenn

rojakz
Thanx for your sharing.
I observe my boy, he is as happy as can be... he is in K1.

bless
Are you going to voice up to the school? I'll like to know the outcome.

Hmmm... I didn't know they are made to wait...

Yah I don't quite like the optional activites part.. and hv to PAY more.. Anyway I didn't put my boy in any, I told him for chinese, he is already attending Berries (he didn't ask for chinese ...hehe ..he asked for pc and gym... I told him our own pc at home is more advanced and for gym, he can go and run and play for free at the playground! hahaha...)
And also for Yakult and milk, again I told him we hv loads of yakult at home! and milk too!!!

bitzer
For K1, optional is gym, chinese class and pc... not v nice since they will prob. divide those who hv the optional and those who do not..

Hi styloBB and Bless,
Thank you for the information about the optional activities. So what happens to those kids who don't go for them? ( I am considering sending son to Berries too, when he is older).

smufygal, registration is April 16, but need to go and check at their website, like styloBB says, they have phase 1, 2 and 3. Different registration date for different phase.

Hi,

Honestly don't rush for the registration, Ascension Kindergarten is just like a normal school to me.

Ask for a tour around the school if possible.
Source for schools around your home area for convenient.
Don't rush, it is just a normal school only.

This school does not teach writing in N2 level.
I heard they will start learning to write in K1 only.

Cheers, Zenn

Hi Hi mummies,

This is just to share about what I know of Acension....

I think gym for N2 is pretty new, when my boy was in N2, he did not have it. I think only 1 or 2 kids will not join gym. My boy said his teacher allow those kids to bring a book along with them. My kids are only in the gym and computer activities. For me these activities are alright for me coz in many pre-schools, computer is "extra" and parents are made to pay too. Gym is about $45 per term i think. Chinese lessons are held before/after school.

Ascension is just like some of the primary schools who build in gym in their PE lessons. This is what happens for my P2 girl. Of course have to pay as well and if you want to opt out, have to produce a letter from the doctor!!! What to do pay lor.

Those who are new to Ascension, this is not the end of "paying".Like many pre-schools, more to come: school concert costume ($40), tickets, class photo, concert photos and DVD of school concert. All these are optional maybe about 1 or 2 will not take part in concert. Again if your kids don't take part, then they will be made to sit and watch or maybe read a book. Its hard for teachers to arrange activities for them coz many times classes will combine to practice.

As for my boy in K2, he started learning on odd and even numbers. Later on he will do simple composition writing. I believe this is also to cater for some kids who are slower, if not they will be left behind. But if I feel that my boy is able to learn other topics that the teacher have not taught yet, I wll teach myself first.

The only thing in this school that I think I told some mothers is their "unofficial" holidays. For example CNY right, an extra day off. Before good fri, there will be a holiday on thursday.

Bless:
maybe you can check with the teachers about writing. I know when my boy was there he did tracing and some writing but not so soon yet coz I think some of the kids are year-end babies and they may not have the motor skill to grip the pencils properly. Oh max in a class is 18 only. Kids will be split into different groups during lesson time - like one group go for art & craft, some do chinese etc. They also have a teacher helper if kids go out for outdoor play, meal times etc.

Hi,

I've went to visit Ascension Kindercare for my little boy but don't really have a good feeling about the place so didn't register.

I later came across Cherie Hearts at 13 Siang Kiang Ave (just next to ex-Jetson Food Centre). They just opened in Jan 2009.

The Branch Director was very nice to talk to. I like the environment and principal & teachers care for the children.

My boy was able to adapt to the environment in just a week and he is always looking forward to school daily.

Hi summer,

Max students for N2 is 22.
At first, Ascension will take in 18, slowly they will increase class size to 22.
Now my girl class got 20 students already.

Also parents who intend to sign up for Ascension Kindergarten, do take note that the deposit for school is 1 term school fee (10 weeks) which is almost $700, cash or cheque...not from baby bonus account.

I seriously think this Ascension Kindergarten is over-priced for a 3hrs programme.

Gym which is about $45 extra per term, is eating into the normal class time.

I regret putting my girl in this Ascension Kindergarten. But since she is already adapt to it, I do not want to disrupt her since I still have a job.

Happy sharing.

Cheers,
Zenn

Wow...are you sure the deposit is 1 term and not 1 month? My goodness...thats too much if it's true. I am still considering to enrol my son in next year.

Hi Lin,

I am very sure, cos the money fly out from my pocket liao.

When I paid for deposit, I thought I was paying for Term 1.
When I paid for Term 1, I thought I was paying for Term 2.
Then in Term 2, I got another payment slip to ask for payment.
I got confused and went to admin office, to check with Finance person abt my girl's school fee.

It was then, I realised the deposit was 1 full term fee, which is almost $700!!!

Gosh!

Cheers, Zenn

Hi mummies,

Any recent comments on Ascension Kindergarden?

Specifically, I hope to get insights on a few things.

1. Are they more "academic-driven" or "montessori / laissez faire" type?

2. How are the teachers there? Are they generally interactive and give regular feedback to parents? Or only when parents call / visit them?

3. Is Ascension Kindergarden affiliated to any primary school?

4. Does the curriculum cover also religious teaching?

Thanks and look forward to hear from mummies with kids there now.

Back