Any advise on Pat's School house?

Hi Tricia H, have you already put your kid in Pat's Siglap, how do you find them, pls share your comments.

Any other parents out there have kid in Siglap branch, pls share your experience or comments, thanks alot. Me looking for school for my 2 yr old too.

Hi mommies,

Just want to clarify something with the mommies who are already sending their lil' ones to Pat's Schoolhouse...

When does the official term for playgroup start? Apparently, if you joined before the official term starts, the syllabus will be repeated... is this true? And are you mommies concerned about the repeated syllabus?

Also, if there such a thing as an 'ideal age' to start playgroup? my sister is an educator, and she said that it's best to start at 2.5 or 3 yrs old... any comments?

I am looking to sending my son to the Pat's schoolhouse at Lim Ah Pin. Will be bringing him there for a trial for D'story club this saturday. Anyone has comments on the D'story club?

Sorry for asking so many questions. :p Any comments appreciated! Thanks!
happy.gif

hi

i'm staying in Toh Yi near Bukit Timah area...any PAT's near my place? the locations seem to be mostly in the north side, issit?

Hi Cheri,
I'm at Toh Yi too!

There are 4 that you can consider but not near. Mt. Sinai, Halifax (near KK), Buckley and Claymore.

Do you drive? If not, they have school buses but unsure if they can arrange for pickup at our area.

hi purin

which block r u at? or r u staying in the pte estate? the 4 that u mention dun seem too near our place hor? i dun drive so guess pat would kinda be out for me.

how old is ur kid/s? where do u intend to send them too in future? i hv a ger, 15 mths old now. r u a sahm too? maybe we can meet up sometimes since we stay so near. i always take her out, to the library at blk 13, to the nearby playgrounds...she loves it esp cos she's just started to walk! hahah

Hi Cheri,
I'm at Blk 12, just opposite the library.

DS is 28months. He's with Babies Inc. for afternoon half. In morning, he goes to a pre-school at Newton which is walking distance from Pat's at Buckley. I don't drive too, so he takes school bus. As he's small built, we pay for an adult to follow him in the school bus.

I'm not a Sahm. Thus, will take school bus with him every morning and go to work from his school. Maid will follow him on the return trip to Babies Inc.

He has to leave Babies Inc. by first half next yr cos the school is for kids up to 3yr old.
I'm thinking of sending him to Pat's half day too.

Yes, we can definitely meet up. However, preferably on Sunday cos that's the only day that I can bring DS to the playground. That's the sadness of a working mum. DS loves the playground too. So DH will bring him there if he can afford the time on Fri.

Purin,

just happen to read your posting. anyway, if you are happy with Babies Inc, perhaps you can talk to the mgt of Babies Inc cos i heard that they may be starting after-school care for kids up to 6 years old next Jan when they move to new premises for the Bukit Timah outlet. My DD currently attending the one at Katong and they have after-school care at this outlet cos' bigger than the current BT one.

Hi Viola,
Yes, I heard of that too. The current place is really very small. Imagine they have 16 teachers (not including admin staff and cook) and about 40 kids. The place is just a normal double-storey semiD.

I would say that the staff there are great. I can call up the in-charge there and chat with her on the phone to understand about DS's progress, as well as the future plans for the school.

However, unsure how good the 3 - 6 yrs session will be cos it's something new for the BT branch.

hello mummies I am interested in this thread cos I am selecting a school for my child too.

I have shortlisted Julia Gabriel and St James Church Kindergarten. Since you guys are talking abt Pats Schoolhouse, I am beginning to get interested in that too.

What are the differences in the programmes that they offer?

Hi Missk,
Which year is your child born in?

DS maybe going to St. James. If he's going there, he'll be attending 3 hrs of church kindergarten and maybe follow by Pat's for half a day (if our financial permits)

purin, pls dun laugh at me. My son is only 14 mths old. I am looking for a playgroup for him and I am hoping for him to be in the same school till kindergarten.

Actually, my family are based in Jkt. Here, we operate quite differently. I can't afford to change schools halfway and forego my SGD 2K registration fees and pay another sum of registration fees. The school fees are exorbitant. Hence, I gotta select the schools very carefully. I must make my decision before Dec 07.

What have you heard about Pat's Schoolhouse and St James at the moment? Do you know how much school fees they are charging?

Hi Missk,
You are in Jkt? DH is on an Indonesia assignment and he's travelling to Jkt again this week. Afterwhich he'll be going to Ballipapan (unsure about the spelling).

So you'll be settling down in Singapore when your DS is around 3-yr old? Yee. . .mind sharing what you mean by the 2k registration fees and why you have to make a decision by end of this yr when your DS is so young. My understanding is most schools don't charge such a high amount for registration.

Unsure how much school fees for JG will be, but for St James, you can refer to http://www.sjck.org.sg/info.htm.

As for Pat's Schoolhouse, can't remember. But full day is definitely more than > $1,000/mth.

Hi Purin,

my DD attends Babies Inc at Katong, where there is currently after school care, am able to understand...tho' may not have as structured plan as the infant/toddler care, guess it's quite ok becos they basically give the kids lunch, nap, a bit of play time and homework supervision...it's not academic at all but more fun and rest. some more, it's relatively cheaper (think now is about $350/mth)

i visited Pat's too but think it's like another kindergarten? would that mean that your DS is attending 2 kindergarten programmes in a day? would it siong for him? i'm sending DD to half day playgroup mid next year and so would probably withdraw her from Babies Inc (much to my reluctance) cos dun need her to be away the whole day...

Hi

I have registered my DD at St James N1 for 2010. It is really a long wating list so KS mum paid the deposit. Their strenght is on maths and arts. Have been to the school and talk to the VP. Very impressed and my girl really like to place. Their fees is abt $900 for N1 in 2010. Fyi they are no more vacancies for 2008 and 2009 for N1.

We have been to Pat's School House @ Halifax. Personally feel that they have very nice teachers who really loves children, the place is very clean and observed the kids are very well behaved and organise.

Hi Joyce,
Haha. . .I don't think I am Ks now. I registered DS for St.James at beginning of year but was told no more vacancies for pre-nursery. So I was on waiting list for 2009 Nursery. When I called up 3 months later, they told me they have decided to open up another class and DS is immediately confirmed a place. I'm ok with DS going in at nursery level cos it's good that he learns through play at the montessori school. He loves going to school now. By the way, the fees for St. James is $900 a term, not too bad. I'm paying almost $600/mth for DS's 3-hr pre-school now.

Your girl is born in 2006? Where do you live? I'm near Pei Hwa Primary at Upper Bukit Timah.

HI Viola,
DS loves Babies Inc, and I like the teachers there. I don't have any elderly that can help me and is relying on my maid for a lot of things. However, there's one thing that I can't rely her on, i.e. to teach DS in the correct manner, and of course no no for Chinese. Thus, he may have to continue going to 2 schools.

I have visited Pat's at Buckley and like the place too. I have talked to the principal and she told me that they do allow kids to take a nap if there's instruction from the parents, and I have seen one kid doing that. Thus, am thinking if I want to send DS to Pat's after St. James. Of course, must be able to afford financially as Pat's is not cheap too.

Hi Purin, wow you are very lucky. Did you manage to get a PN slot this year. We only called up mid of this yr and no more vancanies for PN. Only have N1 slots for my girl in 2010. My girl is born in 2006. So when she turns 3YO in 2009, she will be going to Chiltern House @ Halifax for their PN. I stayed near World Trade Center.

Are you still planning to send yr DS to Pat's
Sch for the other half of the day? You may consider Mt Emily which I think it is nearer to yr house and heard that place is a very nice enviroment, up the hill.

I am planning to send my DD to Newton Kindy for the other half of the day cuz they are strong in chinese curriculum. We called up Nanyang Kindy, no more vancancy. So next best alternative is Newton.

Hi Purin,
Which montessori school are you sending your DS to now? on daily prog? since 18mths? What are your views on montessori syllabus so far? I am planning to do likewise when she turns 18mths b4 moving her to St. James..

Joyce,
Chiltern house does not haf playgroup right? They only start enrollment at nursery level.

Purin and Joyce,
Would sending your child to kindy in the morning followed by another in the afternoon be too taxing for them?

purin - heard any comments abt Canossian Convent Kindergarten near our place? i love the space there but not sure abt their curriculum etc.

Purin

yes, DD loves Babies Inc and I too esp since she eats/drinks really well there. but too bad they dun have programmes beyond 3. anyway, think me sending her to Pat's at Katong mid next year for half day...hubby doesn't like the idea of my child in school whole day. since i work only part time, he thinks she shd only go half day...so no choice lor...

Hi Piyo

Yes,CH has doesn't have playgp. They only have nursery for kids at 3YO to K2. Their playgroup are handled by JG. As my DD is currently with JG, she will be given priority to enter CH. Their registration for 2009 is already open now and will confirm by Apr 2008.

As for taxing for my DD, we just plan 1st cuz that will be another 3years down the road to decided.

Hi Joyce,
Our kids will be school mates. Guess will see you during some of the events.

Actually never thought of sending DS to PN. But when I asked about N1, I did ask about PN. I wasn't disappointed since my intention is for him to learn at his own pace till N1.

Can forget about Nanyang Kinder cos they give priorities to old boys and girls. Just like P1 registration.

Newton Kinder? I have never really considered that due to the above.

Think Mt Emily not very near my place. None of the Pat's School house is near actually.

Hi Piyo,
Which year is your kid born in? You also sending your DD to St. James? Hee! We can have a St. James club here.

DS is with Montessori for Children at Newton. The teachers there are good. The deputy administrator is fantastic too. Knows all the kids. DS likes the schools. Imagine every morning he has to wake up at 6.45am, but never complain. Will ask me, "Teacher XX time?"

Think it's ok for sending DS to 2 schools since Pat's allow kids to take a nap.

Hi Cheri,
Never heard any comments about Canossian.

Hi Viola,
Yes. I told DH that if we have a second kid. Will send to Babies Inc too.

Hi Joyce,
Both St. James/Newton Kinder/Pat's quite far for you.

Do you intend to move when your DD is of schooling age?

Agree that I'm quite lucky for St. James cos it's actually quite late when I call. I only called this year for 2009 registration. You have to call now for 2010 registration.

Hey Vivian! I think Charlotte and my Joshua were in the same group at Pats Arena.. .yes I was also very satisfied with pat's. the teacher-child ratio is really good. and they do all kinds of things in school, very creative artwork too....
on Joshua's last day, i was in the class throughout. Charlotte is very very smart!!!!

Hi Purin

The distance from my hse to St James is alright. Take abt 15-20 mins drive. May consider school bus. Actually SJCK is near to my mother hse (Queenstown) and MIL hse (Holland). So whichever I careoff my girl at her hse. For Newton and Pat Sch, my hubby works around that around. So we have a car pool. For me as a WAHM, quite managable for me to send her to school.

Hi Piyo
My DD born in Aug2006. Last month, I registered her for Nursery intake in Year 2010 and haf to waitlist her for pre-nursery in Year 2009. Will our kids be schoolmates? You registered for morning or 2nd session? Would it be a bit disruptive for your DS to transfer school when he is due for Nursery? I met up with the principal of St James and toured the place with her and all... I love the env, teachers, principal and students.. they look so happy to go to school!

I am hoping she can get in for Pre-nursery when she turns 3 so that I only need to send her to Montessori for next year and she can be thr till K2 and dun haf to transfer school...

MFC only take in kids when they turn 2.5 or 3 years right? When did you start sending your DD in?

If go 2 schools, then when he naps in Pat's, a bit "wasted" right? cos I know in pat's afternoon is more of R&R?

Hi joyce,
your child same year as mine?

Hi PiYo,

Hey which date is yr DD born in Aug 2006. My DD is born on the 1st Aug 2006. Wow. you have been to the SJCK. Have you paid the deposit? Mine was in 2nd session. We also love the place so much. In fact, we paid the deposit before going down to the school for the tour. So impressed by their arts. Also realised the PN kids there are so well behaved an organised. I also registered her for PN but just hope and pray there is a place for you and me though I think the chances are extremely low.

Hi Purin
Agreed with you, lets start a SJCK club here : )

Hi! All,

My hubby and I were very keen to send our boy to SJCK too. However, it's a bit too far for us. Also, when I called up to ask for enrolment. The lady told me that 2008 Nursery class were full. We have visited a few kindergartens around Newton area and found that we quite like the environment at Barker road methodist church kindergarten. Do you have any feedback about this preschool? Thanks.

Hi J&M,
Have you visited St.James? The nursery is full for both 2008 and 2009. Same goes for pre-nursery.

We drove passed the place these 2 days and we love the place very much. It's a very condusive environmment.

Hi! Purin,

We did not visit St James, only their website. When I was told that the class for 2008 was full, I think it is too late for us to visit the school now.
sad.gif

Hi J&M,
Unsure about Barker Road Methodist Church Kindergarten. Only know most boys will go to ACS for primary school.

Hi Joyce and Purin,
Yes, we can start a SJCK club here! My DD born on 15 Aug 06. Yes I paid the deposit and b4 the admin asked if I would like to meet the principal and tour the place. I toured the school after placing the deposit. Mine is 1st session. yours is 2nd session at 11.15am?

From the conversation I had with the principal, we might have a chance for PN in year 2009 but still not confirmed... keeping fingers crossed..

Piyo

Really!! You have spoken to Mrs Jac Chung, the principal? The VP Mrs Benice Yeo gave us an orientation and sound like they have stopped the idea of having PN. That was mid of this year. Maybe they have changed their plan.

Which session will you be for PN? I have put in session II for PN in 2009. Maybe we can arrange to put our kids in the same session. That will be so fun.

Purin,
Sorry huh, yr DS is in 2009 N1 or PN? Btw how about setting up another thread on SJCK to prevent OT (off topic). And welcome more sharing from ex-, existing and going to be SJCK parents?

Hi Ladies,
I went to visit Pat's at Buckley, Claymore and Ridgewood last week.

Only Claymore has PM session for Nursery. Thus, if I want to put DS in Pat's, will have to settle for Claymore most probably though we prefer the environment at Buckley.

helo purin

Ha...I only mamanged to see your message now. Oh, your hubby works here? What does he do? Let's meet up when u are here!!

No I am based in jkt. So my son will study here. The registration fees are abt SGD 2K here. So I am thinking to choose the same school for playgroup all the kindergarten. In this way, I dun need to pay so much.

Seems like SJCK is kinda popular amonng Singaporean. It is advertised here that it's the biggest kindergarten in Sgp. Any truth?

I am quite torn becos Julia Gabriel is a lot more established than SJCK in jkt. So I really dunno which to choose.

Hi Missk,
where did you see SJCK's advertisement?

Hi Purin,
I visited Pat's at Claymore last month. The principal, Lauren told me they won't be starting a new toddler class for kids 2yrs old and abv in their premise next year cos their premise is full house!

Hi Joyce,
I placed DD in the 1st session for both PN waiting list and the placement for 2010 Nursery. Reason being her absorption seems best in the morning and wanna her get used to going for classes in the morning since next time the primary school I want her to go to also single session...

Hi mummies,
is it true that kids >18mths would tend to fall sick often if we place them in CC?

Hi Kokopooh,
I have visited Ridgewood at Mt.Sinai. DH doesn't like the place cos we were bitten by mosquitoes at the end of the visit. The stairs leading to the building were full of ants (maybe due to the rainy season).

hi

Has enrolled my son in Pat at Mt Sinai since aug. Thumbs up 4 it! Overall, trs r very caring, speaks well and excellent programme. Was surprised that DS who is rather shy enjoys school so much that he adapts v well and nvr cry since day 1. Minus point is that there r lots of mozzies. HTH!

Hi,

Has anyone enrolled her baby to Citikid Academy in China Square? It is an assoc of Pat's Schoolhouse.Any comment on the infant care.

Hi,

I am planning to send my 14 mths DS to pat's baby haven. Went to visit their halifax premises recently. Quite impressed by the cleanliness and coziness but would really appreciate more feedback on the teachers. tks!

Hi mama chua !

Can you also share with me your thoughts?
I'm thinking of putting my 12month old at Baby haven at Pat;s schoolhouse soon, would love to hear what you've got to say about the teachers, care and activities for the little ones.....

Thanks!

Back